At All Hazards

North Timistania

RolePlay Moderator
-
Chapter 1: the morning after the night before

The Federal Ethian Union

Castagei ranch

Northern Volshan

Winters awoke woke with a start, his chest felt like someone had just pushed a hot metal spike through it, he pulled back the covers and sat on the edge of the bed for what seemed like an eternity. He felt waves of nausea pass over him, a film of cold sweat clung to him, he felt repugnant and the thought of a hot shower had never felt more appealing. With a pained groan he rose from the bed and dragged himself into the bathroom.

The President of the senate and consul of the FEU slumped against the shower wet wall as the steaming water attempted to wash away the sins of the night. Cleansed in body though not soul, winters swigged the mouth wash and regarded his visage in the mirror. At 58 he possesed a salt and pepper beard and receding hairline of black hair that was rapidly giving way to white. His green eyes retained their characteristic twinkle, though if you looked closely a certain world weary fatigue was becoming evident.

Jean Aristide Winters had always possessed a handsome face, even as he aged his fine boned features and patrician nose lent him a striking appearance. It was a strange thing, had his nose been slightly longer or his eyes ever so minimally closer together he would have been decidedly less handsome, but the god above had been kind in that regard.

The handsome son of Courvallier had aged somewhat since his spring election all those years ago but he was still in office and had lost none of his political mastery. By all accounts his upcoming campaign for a fourth term as consul was almost guaranteed to pass, he was as popular and riding high on the success of his economic policies.

It would take a particularly grievous scandal to topple the man from Courvallier, some shocking revelation regarding his true character. An affair was an immense risk and in a year of election whilst touting oneself as the family candidate? Winters was practically asking to be impeached.

Of course that was only an issue if he got caught and winters had been riding a wave of luck for a long time already. Officially he was in Volsha to work on his speech ahead of the state visit to Prydania, that wasn’t strictly speaking untrue but it was far from the primary reason for winters being here.

`coffees brewed and I found a pack of red crowns if you are so inclined` a soft feminine voice announced breaking winters bout of introspection

Carissa Luculles was the press secretary for the winters administration, with her bright red hair and delicate face she frequently been referred to as the `red star of the union` for her part she kept the briefings neat and the press firmly in check. She was an excellent press secretary, the fact that she was also winters mistress was incidental.

`praise god for coffee and cigarettes!`winters said with a rough smile as they entered the kitchen

He hadn’t ever conceived of himself as an adulterer, he was thirty years carissas senior and had adult children to boot. And yet he had been drawn to her, first her beauty and then her intellect, he had given in to the temptation and willingly abandoned all trappings of moral integrity at the first coy glance from her.

He wondered of Albertine knew? The marriage had grown cold, perfunctory, the spark long since extinguished. The late nights, long periods apart and simple unglamorous realities of married life had all worked to inflict a slow death on his relationship with his wife. Carissa was young, vibrant and offered Winters an escape from the monotony of political and married life.

`speech should be a good one….just promise youll stay safe`Carissa said her tone suggesting she was apprehensive about something

` it’s a state visit, the biggest danger is probably indigestion from too many lobster rolls!`Winters replied brushing aside the concerns

`I know…its silly…just been getting the jitters lately, nerves probably`Carissa explained

Winters nodded giving her a gentle expression, he knew what she meant, his own sleep had been disturbed by dreams of fire for days now. He wanted to tell her that he would divorce his wife, throw away his career and start anew with her, but he forced the words down. It wasn’t the time .

`ill be fine cara, ill be back before you know it`winters said In a reassuring voice

`you better bring me back some brennivin`she said with a wicked grin

`I shall personally present you with a bottle my lady!` he said in a posh tone and a mock bow

Then he lit his cigarette and inhaled a long drag of cloves, menthol and nicotine, he exhaled a trail of fragrant smoke as he reached for the coffee and felt the fatigue slip away. He decided he would take action when he got back, no more hiding, he would tell Albertine it was over and put things right.

Winters phone buzzed on the counter top, a text flashing across the glossy black screen, the idyll of the ranch now shattered. The text was from the household management, motorcade was inbound and would soon arrive to whisk Winters off to the airport.

`You better get ready, don’t want to miss your pickup`Carissa said sadly

Winters smiled sadly and promised himself he would make things right when he got back, consequences be damned he would marry Carissa and start again. He leaned over and planted a gentle kiss on her lips before turning and heading upstairs, Prydania would not wait and the sooner he left the more quickly he could get it over and done with.

Last edited:

Chapter 2: signs and portents

Novo Ethium

Capital of the F.E.U

Special Services Headquarters

For over two centuries the special services had been the praetorians of the republic, an elite formation of handpicked officers all tasked with safeguarding the president and senate. Over time this had evolved into a broader set of duties, investigating terrorism and corruption, soon joining the list of operations to which the group was tied.

Peace time had eroded some of their edge, the years of cautious thawing that had followed the communist scares* serving to instill complacency. The organization might not have liked to admit it, but it had fallen into resting on its laurels, ensconced in its brutalist complexes, all watched over by a looming marble eagle. The services might not have been asleep at the wheel, but they were not watching the road for threats either.

Thus, it was that when lieutenant Taeghra Marr, a highly skilled investigator, had collated a disturbing report on terrorist activities, the powers that be had been quick to decree it was to be brushed aside and buried. She was presently giving a complex explanation of her findings via projector, she must have known it was a long shot, but she pressed ahead regardless.

Director General lucian Velles observed the briefing with a dispassionate eye, a series of images flashed cross the projector screen. His subordinate was presently listed multiple acts committed by the terrorist group known as the ten rings, incidents ranged from the abduction of an Iraelian diplomat to the attempted bombing of a corporate campus by a disgruntled accountant.

`The suspect died from his injuries before he could be questioned, his online activities include a widely circulated video of him proclaiming his loyalty to the Satrap` Taeghra explained as she poured over each piece of evidence to emphasize her point

Velles frowned, Taeghra Marr was his finest investigator, she was also a political liability at a time when things needed to run smoothly. The last thing he needed was for some errant hunch to create a panic, the elections were just around the corner and the public needed to perceive the situation as stable.

`But we have no evidence he actually had support from the group directly?` Velles asking in a probing tone

He'd seen the reports, the guy had been trawling extremist forums for month and his search history was a mass of videos glorifying the satrap and illegal weapons purchased on the dark web. The guy was unhinged, that much was clear, but where Taeghra saw the tip of a terrorist iceberg, Velles saw a distraction his department could ill afford.

`At this stage no bu…..`

`Then this is just some disgruntled copycat and not an indication of a wider trend` Velles said curtly as he cut his subordinate off mid-sentence

`With all due respect sir this could be the tip of a very large iceberg, attacks have been increasing in frequency across Eras and each time the group is quick to claim responsibility! ` Taeghra protested pointing futilely to the screen as if the images arrayed would do anything to change the outcome

`And if we were tasked with policing Eras as a whole i'd be more inclined to worry, right now though we have a disgruntled ex-accountant who lost his mind and tried to blow up a building, hardly a budding holy war! ` Velles snapped dismissively

`And if he is the first sign of something bigger? ` Taeghra asked

`Then it will be dealt with when a credible threat is identified, let it go Marr, the president is away in Prydania and the elections are just around the corner, worry about the real wolves outside the fence instead of the imaginary ones inside the yard` Velles said his tone exasperated

Taeghra resisted the urge to roll her eyes in disgust, Velles had been a legend once, the man who had broken up spy rings and prevented communist conspiracies Nowadays, though he was a dinosaur resting on ancient glories, still certain that the greatest risk to the FEU was Rayvostokan agents.

`Permission to continue pursuing leads privately sir? ` Taeghra asked desperately

`Denied! Our job is to protect the government from genuine threats not to chase shadows, this briefing Is over Marr` Velles replied in a tone that would brook no further discussion of the matter

`Understood sir` Marr said stiffly, trying to hide the bitterness in her tone

Once she was out of his office, she made her way to the carpark and, safely ensconced In the Auroch*, proceeded to expel a stream of angry profanities each viler than the last. Slumping against the wheel she knew that a mistake was being made, but until she could prove it, the threat would still be dismissed as a fantasy.

She reached for the phone and keyed in a number that after so many years she knew off by heart, the call began to dial as she waited. The suspense was almost suffocating, after a few moments that seemed like an eternity a gruff male voice answered, it sounded hoarse and very likely hungover.

`thought we agreed not to call each other` the man said his voice audibly hoarse even over the phone

`we did but this is big, I need someone who can move outside of the normal channels` Taeghra replied glancing over her shoulder instinctively as she did so

`Damn it Taeghra! This is why you never made colonel, too curious for your own good! but yeah let's meet and you can tell me all about it, make sure there's coffee ready too, I have a hangover so bad it feels like someone’s been shoving glass into my skull` The man replied through gritted teeth before hanging up

*The so-called `Red Years` of 1969 to 1977 saw the FEU become deeply paranoid with regard to the prospect of communist infiltration, this led to high level investigations and mass hysteria.

*A Popular model of SUV produced in the Scalvian Federation

CHAPTER 3: SAD, WEARY, FAR OFF THINGS

Bykonsvidi

Capital of Prydania

Kingdom of Prydania

Craviter

Winters felt a sharp pain in his chest, nausea flowed through him as he regarded his pallid face in the mirror. He couldn’t remember when the panic attack started or how long he’d been in the bathroom, all he knew at this moment was a racing heartbeat and a feeling of utter dread as guilt contained for months burst forth in an accusing torrent of doubt and self-loathing.

“She gave you four beautiful children, she supported you, do you remember the speech that got you elected? How she stayed up into the small hours as you fumbled through rehearsal after awkward rehearsal?” the voice explained in mocking tones

“You think I don’t know how fucked up this is!? Political life leaves no one unscathed!” Winters retorted defensively

“You didn’t betray your vows because of politics or duty Jean, you didn’t trade your loving wife in for a younger model out of some noble imperative, you did it because you are a weak and pathetic man without decency or morality! You stood on the podium all those years smiling and espousing family values! Turns out all it took for ‘tHe MAn fRoM cOuRvaLlieEr’ to shit on his own promises was a few greying hairs on your wife’s head and a wink from that redhead” The voice snarled as it picked him apart word by word

“I’m going to make this right!” Winters protested

“No Jean, you're going to make this convenient for yourself, you're going to abandon the people who love you most” the voice hissed in a poisonous tone

“This isn’t about my children!” Winters snapped back angrily, fist clenched

“KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THAT! They will hate you and even when the masses cheer and chant your name, they will go on hating you!!!” The voice roared in disgust

Winters was about to retort, fist raised to the mirror when a knock at the door jolted him from his delirium.

The knocking came again, slightly more urgent this time, Winter's turned limply and stumbled toward the lock exit.

“Everything okay Jean? you’ve been in there a while” Consul Hessarian asked in a concerned tone

“I’m fine! Bad lobster roll Is all” Winters blurted out

Another lie, the rolls had been utterly delicious still it sounded better than admitting to an argument with your own reflection.

“Funny, I thought they were great, anyway just checking” Hessarian said with a dismissive shrug

Winters opened the door, the sickly half-light of the bathroom replaced by the warm glow of evening lamps and a crackling fire. Consul Varro Hessarian regarded the president with a quizzical look on his face before returning to the couch and his glass of whiskey. The consul reached for the bottle and topped up his drink with more amber coloured liquid, he raised the bottle offering Winters a glass. The president nodded and quickly had a brim filled glass pressed into his hand

`Brag Oklands` Varro explained tapping the bottle's label `Ambassador Cato has been raving about it for years`

Winters took a long swig from his glass, a smooth and smokey flavour washing over his tongue as warmth flowed down his gullet. The whiskey appeared to live up to the ambassador's hype, It was like most things Prydanian, well made, honest and utterly without pretension, good whiskey spoke for itself.

`Definitely warms the guts` Winters said with a slight wince before setting the glass down

`So about tomorrow?` Hessarian began pausing to take another sip of his whiskey

`Bykonsvidi hospital? should be a straightforward thing, rose garden stuff 'Winters muttered wearily

The President had been donating to the hospital for several years, there was something miraculous about the whole thing, not even a decade ago Prydania had been a war-torn hellscape, and yet in the time since its people had restored so much of the peace that had once seemed so distant. A few years ago, tanks rolled down bombed-out streets, now a modern hospital treated a thriving capital of millions.

`Yeah definitely, a good opportunity to build public relations, especially if we decide to apply for the FSO’ Hessarian said in a relaxed voice

‘That's a conversation for when we get back home’ Winters replied not wanting to get into deep political strategy this late in the day

Home, the very word seemed to fill him with dread, he knew full well that chaos awaited him when he returned to Ethia. Winters felt trapped, he could go back home and continue to live out the charade of a family man or set himself free by committing political suicide. When he considered the future, it was usually a clear and optimistic image, now he couldn't perceive anything, just a dark and uncertain question with no answer

“You don’t look so good sir,” Hessarian said with a concerned look

“Bad lobster rolls, just need sleep” Winters replied brushing the consul's concerns off

“Not a bad idea, decent rest will do us all some good” Hessarian nodded in agreement before finishing his glass and rising from the couch with an audible groan

With that the consul set down his glass and left for his suite, Winters found himself alone again. He half expected the chorus of voices to return, the self-loathing and rage returning to flood his mind again, instead, he just sat there in silence. He was tired, he swore to himself that he would set things right when he got home, just needed to last a few more days and then back to Ethia. What could possibly go wrong in Prydania?

CHAPTER 4: YOU MAY HAVE GOTTEN BACK UP…

Býkonsviði

Capital of Prydania

Kingdom of Prydania

Craviter

Tobias had enjoyed the earlier meet at Reynir Hospital more. It was more lowkey, and Tobias had been happy to give the place not only of his birth, but of the birth of his children, one last moment in the spotlight as Prydania’s tallest building. A new residential tower in Hadden, nicknamed “The Torch” would be completed by the end of 2024 and at 142 meters it came in under the nation-wide limit of 149 meters and would surpass the hospital’s long standing record as the country’s tallest.

That was ok though. The architectural enthusiast in Tobias really liked how the whole development in Hadden that included The Torch was shaking up. Progress is progress. Still, he liked being able to honour the renovated and rebuilt hospital. At least he was able to dress comfortably! God he missed khakis and comfortable shirts. He adjusted the stiff black and gold collar on the red ceremonial tunic, the only thing that would do for a state dinner, and leaned over to Alycia.

“Do you think they’d mind if I just said ‘bottoms up’?” he asked in Norsian, knowing there was less of a chance of being overheard and understood here.

Alycia chuckled.
“I’m the wrong person to ask because you know I’d tell you to do it.”

Tobias smiled. It was good to see his wife in good spirits after the Ten Rings had attempted to assassinate her. Both the White Guard and the Knights of the Storm wanted to coddle her, but of course she’d have none of it. Tobias was a bit worried. Attempts on his life were nothing new to him, but Alycia… well… she hadn’t had a cloistered life but he was still worried. So it was comforting to see her happy and lively.

Tobias sighed, gripping his glass as he stood. From the perspective of the assembled Ethian and Prydanian delegates he was framed by a large oaken wall, a carved royal arms flanked by two tapestries- one showing Vortgyn I’s victory at Stormurhafn and the other of Rikard I’s march on Crusade through the Syrixian jungles. He turned to his other side, to face President Winters who was seated next to him. God even after all of these years, this felt surreal. He was twenty-nine. He didn’t feel like he was ready to be on this man’s level.

“Mr. President,” he began in fluent but accented Mercanti, “assembled delegates, I wanted to say something, before dinner was served. I wanted to thank you, for coming and for seeing what our country has to offer. I wanted to thank you, Mr. President, for allowing me to get to know you personally, and seeing that the man behind the diplomacy was as kind, as sincere, and as upstanding as he appeared to be. And thank you, and your nation, for being a friend. Today you and I stood in a hospital, a building that’s seen new life, in part thanks to you and your nation. It’s a testament not just to your friendship, but the countless lives that will be served, improved, and saved into the future. As King of Prydania I’m humbled our realm has a friend like Ethia, and I’m humbled to have a friend like you, President Winters. Thank you, and here’s to many more years of friendship and partnership!”

Tobias raised his glass- containing one of the many sparkling wines his Santonian relatives had gifted him- and mixed the Santonian drink with a proper Prydanian toast.

“RALT!” he offered, the Prydanians in attendance enthusiastically repeating the Nordic toast.

Tobias sipped the sparkling wine- proper champagne- and clinged his glass against President Winters’ as he drank in response.

Chapter 5: But this fall will be greater

BYKONSVIDI

KINGDOM OF PRYDANIA

“Ralt!” Tobias declared with in accented and jovial Mercanti

Crystal clinked against crystal as the two men exchanged smiles and drained their glasses, the wine was very good and for the briefest of moments, Jean almost felt something akin to happiness. He liked the King, here was a man who witnessed all the world's evil and not lost his soul, Toby was that rarest of things, a sincere human being. Jean felt a brief flash of envy darken his mood as he observed his royal host.

Here was a man who seemed to represent everything that Winters no longer felt he possessed, a loyal husband, a loving father, and a true patriot to boot. Winters pushed the deep sea of self-loathing back down inside and focused on the one thing he could still feel a modicum of pride in, he was still President and in this at least he was truly accomplished.

The mantle of politician was a welcome retreat tonight, tomorrow he would endure all the torments his sins could muster, tonight he was President Winters of the F.E.U and he intended to dwell in this halcyon delusion for as long as false smiles and copious servings of alcohol would allow. Already feeling flush from the first two glasses, he felt no hesitation as he tapped fork against glass and with textbook smoothness began to speak.

“I would like to thank our noble hosts for welcoming us to Prydania and extending the famed hospitality of this great state, our two nations have always been friends and I know that were my mentor able to he would now be amongst us voicing his own pride in our centuries of friendship, that and drinking all the brennivin” he said with a wry grin as the room erupted in good-natured chuckles

Lukas Bjorn was currently undergoing treatment for stomach cancer somewhere in Hadden, the former President having retired to his ancestral homeland some years ago. Winters hoped in this at least he would be able to represent his country with honor, he knew Bjorn would be watching even if from afar.

“He will hate you when the truth comes out, they will all hate you and even as the crowds continue to worship you, he will go on hating you!” the voice hissed like battery acid at the back of Winters’ brain

He poured his third glass of wine and drank the whole thing in one greedy gulp before pouring another half glass. For a time, alcohol and exuberance kept the demons at bay, long enough for the party to end and drunken oblivion to claim him.

**********************************************************************************

The United Messianist States

Courvallier

Federal Ethian Union

The spring afternoon cast a lazy glow across their new backyard, it seemed to bathe everything it touched in a hue of amber, a gilded spring that Winters hoped would never end.Albertine smiled her face a warm olive teardrop with cascading auburn curls either side and eyes as green as tyrooz emeralds. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever laid eyes upon and right now she had eyes only for him.

“Well? Are you going to stand there grinning or is my big important senator going to grace me with a kiss?” she said feigning impatience, he felt his knees go weak as a soft and feminine giggle filled the blossom scented air

They had been married only a short time now, a beautiful ceremony in Laurentine announcing their union to the world. It seemed only yesterday the priest had declared them wed and united under gods sight, Winters hadnt been listening very hard to the old preacher, he had kept his gaze firmly upon his beloved the entire ceremony.

“I suppose, one peck won't do any harm” he had said in mock resignation as a smirk had crossed his face

They embraced and he planted a kiss upon her cheek, her smile was like the gates of heaven opening, he was grinning like an idiot the entire time. They had sat in the garden for what seemed like hours, lounging together on the bench as afternoon gave way to early dusk.

“I got the test results back while you were away, would you like to know?” she asked with a warm smile

“Girl? Boy?”

“Yes, twins my love, we are going to get one of each” she said excitedly

His life had never been fuller, his senatorial bid a resounding success, a beautiful wife at his side and two little blessings soon to join their burgeoning little empire. He planted a kiss upon her hand and smiled as she brought his to rest upon her belly, it was too early for kicking but even, so he now knew that two little lives were there growing strong.

“I love you forever” he had said tears of joy filling the corners of his eyes

He had meant it

*************************************************************************************
Ethian One

37000 feet above the great northern sea

Winters sat slumped in the leather armchair, so far, the flight had been mercifully free from turbulence, he had a hangover and worried any sudden movements would cause him to shatter like glass. He reached for the coffee and took a long sip, the steaming Mondabaland* blue helping to keep the nausea at bay, however briefly.

“Here, the Dramamine works just as well with binge drinking as travel sickness” Varro muttered as he passed the box of pills to Winters

The president of the FEU popped two pills and swallowed them with all the grace of a rebounding junkie. The consul was right, the pills did help, even if they did leave him feeling dry as a desert, the mere thought of booze was enough to turn his stomach though.

“I may have overdone it” Winters conceded wearily

“You pulled the foreign minister onto the dance floor and made several increasingly colorful speeches; I believe the last one was a scathing indictment of andrennian lobster rolls” Varro noted with an almost clerical voice

“Fuck, I did, didn't I?" Winters replied in an appalled tone hand over face

“Papers will probably brush off most of it as our rockstar president being the life of the party, make sure you send Naya an apology and don’t make a habit of it” Hessarian said in a tone like a disappointed uncle

Winters felt a spike of guilt as he thought about his behavior, Naya Thoc was a diligent and hard-working minister, second generation from Nagumay no less. He would need to make things right, such behavior was unbecoming of a head of state, and then there was Albertine...

“Shit!” Winters hissed as he stumbled out of his seat and headed for the bathroom, he caught sight of Hessarian rolling his eyes as he did so

Safely ensconced in the bathroom winters regarded his bloodshot gaze and unshaven face with utter disgust. He reached for his phone and breathed a sigh of relief when he realized that no texts had been received, that was good because I meant no tabloids had yet exposed his indiscretions. He freshened up in the sink as best he good and then stumbled back to his chair.

“Do I need to send a deep clean into that bathroom Jean?” Varro asked initially annoyed but then softening his tone as the amusement set in

“Not just yet” Winters had replied trying to sound nonchalant

“I'll call off the hazmat's then” Varro chuckled

A few coffees later and Winters was feeling almost human again and painfully aware that he needed to make things right. He reached for his phone and considered messaging the foreign minister, but he found himself instead glancing over the number for his wife. He sighed and began to type

“We need to talk” the message had read, he erased it before sending

He set the phone down and sighed, just a few more hours, then he would make things right. He gazed out the window for a moment, puffy white clouds surrounding the outside world like a celestial wool blanket, it was soothing to focus on. He smirked mostly to himself about something trivial and then the whole world was bathed in white, first bright and loud and then no sound at all.

*Largest constituent region of Astragon, famed for its coffee

**********************************************************************************

A flash lit the morning sky as Ethian one disappeared in a sea of fire, smoke, and falling debris. A rain of burning metal pelting the icy face of the great northern ocean, chunks of mangled engine and wing crashing into previously calm waters. A great spray of ice and foam filled the ocean as something very large smashed downward. When the chaos settled a battered tail bearing the red sun and white stars of the FEU floated on the cold surface in deathly silence.

Last edited:
Back