[DRAFT] Regional Assembly Reform and Disambiguation Act

Pronouns
he/they
TNP Nation
terra_dei_cittadini
Discord
Cylke#5219
I have reviewed the Regional Assembly Rules, and I see the need for reform and disambiguation within the language and impacts of the document.
If there are any concerns, state your case or DM me later in the forums about it.

Removing the voting limit would allow for more bills to be processed, hence allowing for a more efficient democracy. The reason I rewrote some portions of the document is to disambiguate it, allowing for an improved interpretation of the rules.
Regional Assembly Reform and Disambiguation Act:
Clause 1, Section 2 of the Regional Assembly Rules is amended to read as follows:
1. No more than two An unlimited number of legislative votes may take place simultaneously at any time.
Section 3 of the Regional Assembly Rules is amended to read as follows:
1. The Speaker may, at their discretion, appoint or remove a citizen as Deputy Speaker. The Speaker may, at their discretion, remove an existing Deputy Speaker.

2. Unless otherwise specified by law, the Speaker may delegate any of their powers and duties to the Deputy Speaker. Delegation under this section does not relieve the Speaker of any of their powers and duties. Any provisions of law related to the powers and duties of the Speaker, when exercised by the Deputy Speaker under the provisions of this clause, shall apply to the Deputy Speaker.

3. The Speaker, at their discretion, may designate an existing Deputy Speaker as their successor, hereinafter "Acting Speaker", in the wake of a vacancy or absence in the office of the Speaker.

3 4. When there is a vacancy or absence in the position of Speaker, the Deputy Speaker designated Acting Speaker, or the longest-tenured Deputy Speaker should no Acting Speaker exist, will assume the powers and duties of the office of the Speaker for the duration of the vacancy or absence, respectively. When there is simultaneously a vacancy or absence in the positions of Speaker and Deputy Speaker is simultaneously vacant Should the Speaker be vacant or absent, no Acting Speaker exist, and no Deputy Speaker is available, the citizen who is available, has the longest period of citizenship, does not decline the position, and is not otherwise prohibited by law will assume the powers and duties of the office of the Speaker for the duration of the simultaneous vacancy or absence.

4 5. A citizen's period of citizenship is defined as the amount of elapsed time since that citizen's most recent approved citizenship application without an interruption.
Clause 1, Section 2 of the Regional Assembly Rules is amended to read as follows:
1. No more than two An unlimited number of legislative votes may take place simultaneously at any time.
1. The Speaker may, at their discretion, appoint or remove a citizen as Deputy Speaker. The Speaker may, at their discretion, remove an existing Deputy Speaker.

2. Unless otherwise specified by law, the Speaker may delegate any of their powers and duties to the Deputy Speaker. Delegation under this section does not relieve the Speaker of any of their powers and duties. Any provisions of law related to the powers and duties of the Speaker, when exercised by the Deputy Speaker under the provisions of this clause, shall apply to the Deputy Speaker.

3. The Speaker, at their discretion, may designate an existing Deputy Speaker as the Acting Speaker in the wake of a vacancy or absence in the office of the Speaker.

3 4. When there is a vacancy or absence in the position of Speaker, the Deputy Speaker designated Acting Speaker, or the longest-tenured Deputy Speaker should no Acting Speaker exist, will assume the powers and duties of the office of the Speaker for the duration of the vacancy or absence, respectively. When there is simultaneously a vacancy or absence in the positions of Speaker and Deputy Speaker is simultaneously vacant Should the Speaker be vacant or absent, no Acting Speaker exist, and no Deputy Speaker is available, the citizen who is available, has the longest period of citizenship, does not decline the position, and is not otherwise prohibited by law will assume the powers and duties of the office of the Speaker for the duration of the simultaneous vacancy or absence.

4 5. A citizen's period of citizenship is defined as the amount of elapsed time since that citizen's most recent approved citizenship application without an interruption.
Section 2 of the Regional Assembly Rules is amended to read as follows:

2. Unless otherwise required by law, votes of the Regional Assembly will last for a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of seven (7) days.

3. The Speaker will, at the beginning of a vote of the Regional Assembly, decide publicly declare its lawful duration as permitted by law.

4. If a number of citizens equal to or exceeding one third (⅓) of the number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote object to the duration of a vote of the Regional Assembly decided by the Speaker before the conclusion of the vote declared duration of a legislative vote prior to said vote's conclusion, then that vote's duration will last for the lawful maximum duration permitted by law.

5. If at the conclusion of a vote quorum has not been achieved, Should a legislative vote conclude with an unachieved voting quorum, then the Speaker may extend the duration of the vote aforementioned vote's duration to the lawful maximum permitted by law.
1. The Speaker may, at their discretion, appoint and/or remove a citizen a maximum of seven (7) and a minimum of one (1) citizen as Deputy Speaker. The Speaker may, at their discretion, remove an existing Deputy Speaker.

2. Unless otherwise specified by law, the Speaker may delegate any of their powers and duties to the one (1) or more Deputy Speakers. Delegation under this section does not relieve the Speaker of any of their powers and duties. Any provisions of law related to the powers and duties of the Speaker, when exercised by the Deputy Speakers under the provisions of this clause, shall apply to the aforementioned Deputy Speakers.

3. When there is a vacancy or absence in the position of Speaker, Should the incumbent Speaker be absent or a positional vacancy arise, the most-recently appointed Deputy Speaker will assume the powers and duties of the office of the position of Speaker for the duration of the vacancy or absence remainder of the Speaker's term or absence, respectively. When there is simultaneously a vacancy or absence in the positions of Speaker and Deputy Speaker is simultaneously vacant, Should the incumbent Speaker be absent or vacant and a Deputy Speaker be unavailable, the citizen who is available, has the longest period of citizenship, does not decline the position, and is not otherwise prohibited by law will assume the powers and duties of the office of the Speaker for the duration of the simultaneous vacancy or absence. If no citizen qualifies under the aforementioned criteria, a special election of the Speaker will be held.

4. A citizen's period of citizenship is defined as the amount of elapsed, uninterrupted time since that citizen's most recent approved citizenship application without an interruption.
Section 2 of the Regional Assembly Rules is amended to read as follows:

2. Unless otherwise required by law, votes of the Regional Assembly will last for a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of seven (7) days.

3. The Speaker will, at the beginning of a vote of the Regional Assembly, decide publicly declare its lawful duration as permitted by law.

4. If a number of citizens equal to or exceeding one third (⅓) of the number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote object to the duration of a vote of the Regional Assembly decided by the Speaker before the conclusion of the vote declared duration of a legislative vote prior to said vote's conclusion, then that vote's duration will last for the lawful maximum duration permitted by law.

5. If at the conclusion of a vote quorum has not been achieved, Should a legislative vote conclude with an unachieved voting quorum, then the Speaker may extend the duration of the vote aforementioned vote's duration to the lawful maximum permitted by law.
1. The Speaker may, at their discretion, appoint and/or remove a citizen a maximum of seven (7) and a minimum of one (1) citizen as Deputy Speaker. The Speaker may, at their discretion, remove an existing Deputy Speaker.

2. Unless otherwise specified by law, the Speaker may delegate any of their powers and duties to the one (1) or more Deputy Speakers. Delegation under this section does not relieve the Speaker of any of their powers and duties. Any provisions of law related to the powers and duties of the Speaker, when exercised by the Deputy Speakers under the provisions of this clause, shall apply to the aforementioned Deputy Speakers.

3. When there is a vacancy or absence in the position of Speaker, Should the incumbent Speaker be absent or a positional vacancy arise, the most-recently appointed Deputy Speaker will assume the powers and duties of the office of the position of Speaker for the duration of the vacancy or absence remainder of the Speaker's term or absence, respectively. When there is simultaneously a vacancy or absence in the positions of Speaker and Deputy Speaker is simultaneously vacant, Should the incumbent Speaker be absent or vacant and a Deputy Speaker be unavailable, the citizen who is available, has the longest period of citizenship, does not decline the position, and is not otherwise prohibited by law will assume the powers and duties of the office of the Speaker for the duration of the simultaneous vacancy or absence. If no citizen qualifies under the aforementioned criteria, a special election of the Speaker will be held.

4. A citizen's period of citizenship is defined as the amount of elapsed, uninterrupted time since that citizen's most recent approved citizenship application without an interruption.

Last edited:
What’s your thinking on removing the limit to legislative votes?

Why does it make sense to you to have the most recently appointed deputy be acting Speaker?

Why do you feel limiting deputies to 7 is the right number? Why does a limit need to exist?

If a special election were to be held for a new Speaker anyway, why would you need to specify that in the scenario where we’re deciding an acting Speaker? Would that provision create a conflict with the limitation of not having a special election take place if it won’t finish before the next normal election?

Why any of this? You say you see the need for reform, but you didn't explain ANY of your reasoning behind the rewording or changes you're proposing.

Not to mention your proposed 3.3 is incompatible with 4.7.38 of the Legal Code. If there is a vacancy in the constitutionally-mandated elected office of Speaker, there is automatically a Special Election (again, as Ghost alluded to, unless an election can't finish before two weeks before the next scheduled election (4.7.39), just like we saw with Gorundu's ascension). Only 4.7.39 allows for what would be a temporary replacement to finish out the term.

Other than that, a lot of your proposal seems to just be rewording what is already in place with mostly the same functionality, but in some spots actually making it wordy and more confusing. Simple is best, as long as it achieves the desired result.

What’s your thinking on removing the limit to legislative votes?

Why does it make sense to you to have the most recently appointed deputy be acting Speaker?

Why do you feel limiting deputies to 7 is the right number? Why does a limit need to exist?

If a special election were to be held for a new Speaker anyway, why would you need to specify that in the scenario where we’re deciding an acting Speaker? Would that provision create a conflict with the limitation of not having a special election take place if it won’t finish before the next normal election?
Removing the legislative limit would allow for more votes to take place, hence allowing more bills to be processed.
As for the most recent Deputy Speaker, I guess it would be best to ensure any can act as Speaker, since the most recent one would be the only one technically.
I feel limiting the number of deputy speakers at seven is best because allowing the Speaker to appoint an endless number of Deputies is ludicrous. Heck, the incumbent one already has four Deps currently.

Why any of this? You say you see the need for reform, but you didn't explain ANY of your reasoning behind the rewording or changes you're proposing.

Not to mention your proposed 3.3 is incompatible with 4.7.38 of the Legal Code. If there is a vacancy in the constitutionally-mandated elected office of Speaker, there is automatically a Special Election (again, as Ghost alluded to, unless an election can't finish before two weeks before the next scheduled election (4.7.39), just like we saw with Gorundu's ascension). Only 4.7.39 allows for what would be a temporary replacement to finish out the term.

Other than that, a lot of your proposal seems to just be rewording what is already in place with mostly the same functionality, but in some spots actually making it wordy and more confusing. Simple is best, as long as it achieves the desired result.
Yeah, allow me to explain:
The current writing in the law (at least to me) is kind of word salad.
This is rewriting it so it can be comprehended by all readers.

Oh.
How do you recommend improving it?
Just leave it alone.

If you want to change certain aspects, like the maximum number of simultaneous legislative votes, that's one thing. But, a lot of the content here is rewording stuff so it's clearer to you without any real impact. Just because it's clearer to you doesn't mean it's clearer to everyone. Trust me, I know what it feels like to try to describe something to someone, and I understand what I'm saying but they don't understand me. It happens all the time, and I feel that's what's going on here. Honestly, it's fine the way it is.

Now, one thing I have wanted to clarify was Rule 3.3

3. When there is a vacancy or absence in the position of Speaker, the Deputy Speaker will assume the powers and duties of the office of the Speaker for the duration of the vacancy or absence, respectively. When there is simultaneously a vacancy or absence in the positions of Speaker and Deputy Speaker is simultaneously vacant, the citizen who is available, has the longest period of citizenship, does not decline the position, and is not otherwise prohibited by law will assume the powers and duties of the office of the Speaker for the duration of the simultaneous vacancy or absence.

Often times, there is more than one Deputy Speaker, but this rule assumes that there is only one. It's become custom that the Speaker designates which Deputy Speaker becomes Acting Speaker. But, let's assume that this does not happen. Which Deputy Speaker becomes Acting Speaker? We could codify that. Something like this...

3. The Speaker may designate a Deputy Speaker as their intended Acting Speaker in the event of the Speaker vacating the office or becoming absent.

When there is a vacancy or absence in the position of Speaker, the designated Deputy Speaker or, if none exists, the Deputy Speaker with the longest tenure who is available, will assume the powers and duties of the office of the Speaker for the duration of the vacancy or absence, respectively. When there is a vacancy in the office of Speaker or when the Speaker is absent, and there are no Deputy Speakers available, caused either by absence or vacancy, the citizen who is available, has the longest period of citizenship, does not decline the position, and is not otherwise prohibited by law will assume the powers and duties of the office of the Speaker for the duration of the simultaneous vacancy or absence.

5. ...
Now the challenge would be to wordsmith that into something that everyone understands and legally has the intended effect, because I guarantee that not everyone is going to understand wtf I just said.

Last edited:
I can certainly get behind removing the restriction on legislative votes.

The newest appointed deputy speaker should not be the one to become acting speaker in the case of vacancy; deputies are often appointed in groups and it will mean that the acting speaker could be too inexperienced, which would be a very bad time for that person and the region in general (especially given the circumstances that can lead to having no speaker). Also, the language about "powers and duties" is there for a reason - it is so that the replacement speaker is only acting speaker rather than the "real" speaker.
I feel limiting the number of deputy speakers at seven is best because allowing the Speaker to appoint an endless number of Deputies is ludicrous. Heck, the incumbent one already has four Deps currently.
The reason that there are so many is because the speaker is required to deal with citizenship applications and maintaining the citizenship roles. There is no reason for a limit on the number of people who can assist the speaker in these administrative tasks; it means that we can always count on speaker candidates who know what they are doing.
Oh.
How do you recommend improving it?
I think the current language is fine. I think what you are doing is replacing wordier language with plainer words with shorter language with more legalese-type speak (ex. "as permitted by law" -> "lawful"). I think the legalese is harder to understand even if it's sometimes shorter.

Now, one thing I have wanted to clarify was Rule 3.3

Often times, there is more than one Deputy Speaker, but this rule assumes that there is only one. It's become custom that the Speaker designates which Deputy Speaker becomes Acting Speaker. But, let's assume that this does not happen. Which Deputy Speaker becomes Acting Speaker? We could codify that. Something like this...

Now the challenge would be to wordsmith that into something that everyone understands and legally has the intended effect, because I guarantee that not everyone is going to understand wtf I just said.
Okay! I gotcha!
Task: Reword "wtf [you] just said" into a legally effective, comprehensive statement.

Also, as I was just told... What I described is currently in the Standing Procedures. The question would be: should it be codified into the rules or left alone for the Speaker to decide whether to keep or modify at their discretion later.

Acting Speaker Procedures
  1. The Speaker may, at any time, designate a Deputy Speaker to serve as Acting Speaker in the case of a vacancy or absence in the office of Speaker. The Speaker may change this designate at any time.
  2. The Acting Speaker will assume all the powers and duties of the Speaker's Office when the office is vacant or when the Speaker is absent.
  3. If no Acting Speaker is designated or is unavailable, the Deputy Speaker with the longest tenure (since their most recent appointment) shall be Acting Speaker when the office is vacant or when the Speaker is absent.

Also, as I was just told... What I described is currently in the Standing Procedures. The question would be: should it be codified into the rules or left alone for the Speaker to decide whether to keep or modify at their discretion later.

Acting Speaker Procedures
  1. The Speaker may, at any time, designate a Deputy Speaker to serve as Acting Speaker in the case of a vacancy or absence in the office of Speaker. The Speaker may change this designate at any time.
  2. The Acting Speaker will assume all the powers and duties of the Speaker's Office when the office is vacant or when the Speaker is absent.
  3. If no Acting Speaker is designated or is unavailable, the Deputy Speaker with the longest tenure (since their most recent appointment) shall be Acting Speaker when the office is vacant or when the Speaker is absent.
Alright, I just updated the proposal to reflect everyone's requests.
I believe it will be much better now.

I support removing the limit for legislative votes being held at the same time, but that's about it.

My only suggestion is that calling the designated deputy speaker the "Acting Speaker" is confusing because they're not actually the acting speaker unless the speaker is absent or the office is vacant.

My only suggestion is that calling the designated deputy speaker the "Acting Speaker" is confusing because they're not actually the acting speaker unless the speaker is absent or the office is vacant.
Should I add that the Acting Speaker becomes so upon a vacancy or absenteeism?

Oh. What do you recommend fixing this?
For me, less than one day with no comments is not that long. It's better to leave a proposal for a little bit to gather further feedback, in my opinion, than move it to vote quickly and risk losing valuable contributions from other members.

For me, less than one day with no comments is not that long. It's better to leave a proposal for a little bit to gather further feedback, in my opinion, than move it to vote quickly and risk losing valuable contributions from other members.
Okay.
How long should I wait?
(Sorry, I'm kinda new to the whole legislative process.)

I feel limiting the number of deputy speakers at seven is best because allowing the Speaker to appoint an endless number of Deputies is ludicrous
For the record, objecting to the number of deputy speakers is ludicrous. Part of the Speaker's job is to ensure the long term health of the office even after they're no longer Speaker. If 20 people came to me as Speaker and asked to learn how the office operates and be Deputy Speakers, I would appoint 20 Deputy Speakers, because the more people who know how the office works, who know how to do checks, who know how the law operates and what powers it grants the Speaker, the better.

Capping the number of Deputy Speakers, even to a generous amount, is detrimental to the long term health of the office and to the Regional Assembly as a whole.

I must concur with St George.
The office of the Speaker should be allowed to choose as many Deputies as it sees fit.
Plus, if you limit the number of Deputy Speakers, must you also limit the number of Deputy Ministers because too many would be ludicrous?

For the record, objecting to the number of deputy speakers is ludicrous. Part of the Speaker's job is to ensure the long term health of the office even after they're no longer Speaker. If 20 people came to me as Speaker and asked to learn how the office operates and be Deputy Speakers, I would appoint 20 Deputy Speakers, because the more people who know how the office works, who know how to do checks, who know how the law operates and what powers it grants the Speaker, the better.

Capping the number of Deputy Speakers, even to a generous amount, is detrimental to the long term health of the office and to the Regional Assembly as a whole.
The issue has been fixed; it is no longer included in the draft.

3. The Speaker, at their discretion, may designate an existing Deputy Speaker as their successor, hereinafter "Acting Speaker", in the wake of a vacancy or absence in the office of the Speaker.

I suggest this wording:
3. The Speaker may, at their discretion, designate a Deputy Speaker as their successor, who will serve as Acting Speaker in the wake of a vacancy or absence.

I dislike the use of the word "successor" in the clause. That would suggest they are entitled to succeed the Speaker in the position. They are not. They would only be serving in an acting capacity until the Speaker returns or a new Speaker is elected. This is not a "Vice President becomes the President" situation like in the US.

For the record, codifying that we can have multiple Deputy Speakers and the Acting Speaker procedure is the only part I like about this bill. I don't like the part removing the limit on simultaneous legislative votes. If citizens have to consider and vote on a bunch of different bills at the same time, they would likely be paying less attention to each bill. That's not what we want.

Indeed, the use of successor in the clause is weird at most. How about this:
3. The Speaker may, at their discretion, apooint the Deputy Speaker who will serve as Acting Speaker in the wake of a vacancy or absence.

Maybe I should've directed that question to the author of the bill instead lol. But if this bill would pass I'd just remove the "Acting Speaker clause" from the standing procedures since it would exist here instead.

Maybe I should've directed that question to the author of the bill instead lol. But if this bill would pass I'd just remove the "Acting Speaker clause" from the standing procedures since it would exist here instead.
I mean at that stage this bill only has the 'unlimited number of legislative votes at a time' part in and that's a bad idea too sooooo....

Back