-
TNP Nation
PotatoFarmers
Discord
Freg#0420
ga.jpg

Repeal "Museums of Musical Heritage"
Category: Repeal | GA #86
Proposed by: Excidium Planetis, Co-authored by: Magecastle Embassy Building A5 | Onsite Topic
Replacement: None​

The Assembly of Worlds,

Baffled that GA#86 "Museums of Musical Heritage", a resolution so ancient as to be put in a museum itself, mandates the creation of the Museums of Musical Heritage (MoMH) as an "association of museums", while failing to either detail any means by which a museum may enter the MoMH, or mandate the construction of museums to join the MoMH, thus meaning that the MoMH may very well only exist as a hypothetical, empty entity in the bureaucracy of the World Assembly,

Arguing that despite likely not even having any museums, the Museums of Musical Heritage program is nevertheless an unnecessary expense on Assembly resources, requiring:
  • The maintenance of numerous facilities and online archives which it is merely suggested that member nations ensure access to, potentially resulting in many member nations not even having access to these facilities and archives.
  • The funding of these archives through the use of compensation to those who donate artefacts to them, yet it is unclear whether the donations by such member nations and organizations and individuals therein are really voluntary or merely compensated involuntarily; where the money for such compensation is coming from; and who these "impartial arbitrators" are.

Speculating what future generations who learn about the World Assembly from museums will think when they learn that, while its funds may very well have gone into the involuntary purchase of musical items, none of them have actually gone into creating the association of museums the resolution purports to create,

Encouraging the members of this Assembly to think carefully about the legislation they choose to enact in the future and whether it is both economically feasible and effective for upholding this Assembly's ideals,

Destroys "Museums of Musical Heritage"

Co-authorship: Magecastle Embassy Building A5
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited by a moderator:
Overview
This proposal, Repeal "Museums Of Musical Heritage" seeks to repeal 86, which established an association of museums drawn from individual nations (known as the Museums Of Musical Heritage, MoMH) on music and music related materials. It also creates an online database of materials. It also requests nations, or musicians etc to “donate, lend, share, or otherwise make available” the materials to the MoMH, either voluntarily or to pay "pecuniary compensation".

Recommendation
Much of the debate on this resolution has been on cost grounds. However, we see considerably leeway in how the museums operate (as they are not run by the WA itself but by member states and could well even be private). The economics of music have dramatically changed in the 12 years since this resolution, and the resolution’s allowance for "lend, share" music (which we interpret to include streaming) mean we suspect a commercially operated MoMH could well be running at a surplus. Even though MoMH appears to a relic of advances in technology, we do not feel a strong argument has been put forth by the authors to axe the association, although we note that commercial alternatives are widely available.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the World Assembly Resolution proposal at vote, Repeal "Museums Of Musical Heritage".

This IFV Recommendation was written in collaboration with our World Assembly Legislative League partners.

Last edited:
Against. It's not a particularly costly exercise to keep an online database of sheet music.

Last edited:
And the compensation of artists for whom the WA is allowed to take artefacts?

(Edited)

I am still voting Against. But I am quite ambivalent on this (as I mentioned on the NS Forum thread last Monday) as I am generally ambivalent on topics related to art and that includes music. I believe commercial services (Apple Music, Spotify) are available to sort out and if they are profitable (I looked up the figures for Spotify as that is publicly listed), the museums should be, assuming they are well run. Of course you can turn the argument around and I am OK with the counterargument to say if commercial services are available, then why bother with a WA specific resolution on this, when nations can fund museums themselves.

Last edited:
Ive never been a fan of the cost argument, but id entertain a replacement or proposal on the topic separately.

Abstain

Given that I am extremely against the at vote resolution on Art Galleries, and thus would be in favour of an insta-repeal, I do think that repealing the said resolution without replacement would definitely be a set back to the entire Art and Music Sector as a whole. As such, against.

The collective all empowering wisdom and infinite intellect of GenSec has ruled the International Art Gallery resolution illegal, so for those who considered both resolutions together, there's still time to reconsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back