Democracy Day

Pallaith

TNPer
-
-
-
-
eoJaCFpLwgebkBaFKDqMYnFu73noAg809XSMcsns4lL2ccjS24BFYkJ9jCnymCoFlrkDdyjI_l60gQvh49nweMXX0w1n8Rn6L5Np7YBHbtcSbAZXNTIxauHQsWcutdB30r0NEFPH

Democracy Day

The constitution we celebrate on this day is going on 10 years! We have much to celebrate – a decade is no joke, and neither is this humble document that continues to form the backbone of our legal system. I am still in awe that so many of you continue to engage with The North Pacific and keep building this community. So many things change these days, and quite suddenly; people come and go, and the culture shifts with them. It is remarkable that we overcame the adversity that defined the time before this constitution, and increasingly, even more remarkable that we keep going so steadily and consistently. The original TNPers left us with a legacy that we could be proud of, one that continues to light the way forward for people who were barely born when TNP was new but have adopted and embraced what those older TNPers started.

Democracy gets a tough appraisal, not just in NationStates but in the world outside. For all its faults and challenges, I do believe that it continues to be the best form of government for expressing what it is that people as a whole wish for themselves, the world they want to live in and leave for the generations that come after them. Cherish it, protect it, and if need be, fight for it. But never give up on it, no matter how hard it gets. We share a commitment to the democratic ideals that define TNP and the civic spirit that transcends NationStates. It is up to us to make sure that continues – democracy is in your hands. When you consider our constitution, whether it is on a screen or in your literal hands thanks to our awesome pocket constitution giveaway (sign up if you haven't yet!), I hope it will remind you of how precious a handful of words and ideas can be, and how fragile too.

People in this game are challenging our commitment to these ideals, and we will continue to fight for them and be their champions in NS. But we all have to be prepared to be champions for democracy outside of this game too. It's only there as long as you keep it alive, and if you let it go, you may never get it back. I want you to remember these things today, in NS and in TNP, but also remember that we did not invent them, and they have so much power in the world around you. We truly do not know what we have until it's gone, so let's make sure we don't have to face that sobering realization someday. Happy Democracy Day!

Back