-
-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Dreadton
Discord
Dreadton
To help applicants with the Admin check and to clear the confusion related to parts of the Admin check, this a primer on how the internet works and types of IPs.

1. How does the Internet work?

It works by using a packet routing network that follows Internet Protocol (IP) and Transport Control Protocol (TCP). TCP and IP work together to ensure that data transmission across the internet is consistent and reliable, no matter which device you're using or where you're using it.

2. What Is an IP Address?

A unique string of characters that identifies each computer using the Internet Protocol to communicate over a network.

3. What types of IP Addresses are there?

Types of IPs:

Datacenter: An IP assigned from a Data center Server, not associated with an ISP. This is primarily from internal networks.

Residential: An IP assigned from an internet service provider to a user. This involves a physical connection from an Internet Service Provider to a physical residence. ISPs provide internet connections through Fiber, DSL Telephone (Traditional Copper Network), Coaxial Cable (such as those provided by a Cable Television service), and in some cases Satellite connections.

Mobile: A mobile connection assigned from a phone carrier or other wireless provider to a user. This is an internet connection associated with a cell phone service provider. This type of internet connection uses cell phone towers to access the internet.

Education: An IP connection assigned to an Educational Facility. Educational facilities often have their own means to access the internet. If you are accessing the internet from a school or college, your access will likely be seen as an Educational IP.

Corporate/Business: an IP connection assigned to a company. ISPs provide special services and connections to businesses. Accessing the site from say a Starbucks, will show the connection as a Corporate connection.

4. Wireless/Mobile IP? So I cant use WiFi?

WiFi has nothing to do with how your IP address shows. If you're on your home's WiFi and it is a residential connection you will likely pass the admin check.

5. What is a Proxy?

A Proxy is any means used to hide your IP Address. This includes VPNs and other anonymizing services. Opera has a built in VPN that will often show as a proxy IP.

6. I only have access to the internet via my phone what should I do?

There is an exception built into the law, please contact the Speakers Office for more information.

7. But my IP address is private!

Your IP address is seen by every router, server, and website you access. While your IP address is considered public under the laws of most countries, the Administration team does not share your IP address. If you believe your IP addresses or other identifiable information has been misused or accessed, please contact a member of the Forum Staff.

If you have any questions, please contact a member of the Forum Staff or @Dreadton directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back