[Inaius] Opium for the masses [Invite Only]

Greater Ale Permars

RolePlay Moderator
-
Hub 34, the Palatine Hub
The Moebius
Saturday, July 10th, 2954
12:22 PM Local Time

As the ship descended from the atmosphere, Zachary stared out of the ship’s observation bay, into the cityscape below. From his seat he could see three towering spires one black, one gold, and one green all three massive structures reached high into the sky, they were truly a sight to behold. Zachary hadn’t seen anything like it before, his home back in the confederation had been a small, frontier planet nothing at all like the planet-wide city that was the Moebius, the planet was made up of farmers from nearby planets whose farms had been bought up by the larger landowners. Zachary himself was the son of a moderately successful farmer, who had been hoping his son would inherit his success but after his Secondary school education had passed Zachary chose the clergy, opting out of his inheritance and into serving God and the faith.

After graduating from the planet’s seminary school Zachary traveled to the center of the faith in New Providence to join a local church, and while working for a prominent Pastor in the area saw an advertisement in the church communique for a new church in a place which Zachary had never even heard of, “The Moebius” according to the communique was a world filled to the brim with nonbelievers, a place which could “be converted in time”. All that the communique said was that more missionaries were needed and that experienced faithful were preferred. It offered living space, a good wage, all that was needed was a holoticket to get there. And so there he was staring out of a passenger ships window at his new home below.

The ship continued to descend eventually reaching a small spaceport from which it offloaded its passengers into Hub 34. Zachary made his way out of the ship and to the luggage collection area. From which he waited in line and collected his bags. The view from the ground was just as beautiful as the view from above, with the three towers soaring into the sky surrounded by many scenic structures. Looking around himself he could see several small stores, entrances to high-end-looking apartment towers and a few multilevel shopping centers, but there was one major thing he noticed, that really put it all to shame… The Xeno’s that roamed the paths were plentiful, he could see hundreds of them of all different species as he walked to his destination. Zachary had learned of the Xeno’s who had originally inhabited the Confederation, he had seen the documents and learned about the great plagues which had wiped them out but here. They were everywhere, it was truly a sight to behold.

After a long walk through the winding pathways of the Hub, Zachary finally reached his destination. A decently sized Palace converted into what was now a Church for the faithful, it was a spectacular sight, it had retained its palatial look but as an addition had been decorated with holy symbols which had been scattered about the front of the building, along with that it had been adorned with the image of not only the prophet but also at the very top, the most important symbol of the faith. A golden triangle, which at each point had been cut and filling in the space between was a line representing the three sides of the faith. God, The Prophet, and Belief all things Zachary intended to help bring to The Moebius on his mission. Zachary entered the church and into its lobby area, the place was still being worked on with men moving around furniture and decorating with holy objects. Zachary made his way through the church via signs adorning the walls which eventually led him to the secretary of the Pastor in charge.

“Blessed be the day Miss.” He said cheerily, as he looked around the secretary’s space he noticed the clean and tidy space in contrast with the frazzled state of the rest of the place.

“Blessed be the day Sir, How may I help you?” She said smiling, putting on a hair tie and turning to the holoscreen on her desk to type something.

Still looking at the space he replied. “I am here to see the resident pastor, I just got here today for the new missionary position and wanted to check in with him to make sure everything was settled.“ After she finished typing on the holoscreen she turned.

“He is in his office right now speaking with someone, but you can sit here and wait.” She said gesturing towards a chair. Zachary nodded and sat down, wanting to strike up some conversation and get to know at least one new person on the planet so he began to talk with the secretary.

“So how long have you worked here?” He said interrupting her typing.

“About a week or so ago.” She said, shifting her gaze to Zachary.

“You from the Confederation?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

“No, I’m a native to The Moebius.” She said while writing on a holopad.

“Oh, cool.” He nodded his head slowly. “I was wonderin…” He was abruptly cut off by the door to the pastor’s office door opening and the Pastor ushering out some Xeno who seemed to be upset. But the Xeno was ushered out and Zachary was welcomed in by the Pastor.

“Greetings, Greetings.” The Pastor said as Zachary made his way into the office.

“Greetings Pastor?.. Sorry, I never caught your name.”

“Call me Pastor Ryan.” He said with a smile.

“Well Pastor Ryan I’ve come to apply for the missionary position, I saw your ad in a Church communique back home and wanted to join you here.” He said pulling out the communique.

“Well,” He said, looking Zach up and down. “We need every capable person we can get, so I’d just about say you’re hired.” He said, chuckling. Zachary stood up and shook the man's hand.

“Thank you so much sir, Thank you, you won’t regret this.” He said as he walked to the door.

“I bet I won’t.” He said laughing, shaking his head and turning it to his holoscreen.

Zachary exited the office closing the door behind him, surprised with how quick the meeting went but he didn’t give it much mind. As he began walking from her desk the secretary shouted.

“Hey! You never asked me your question.” She said her attention now fully on him.

“Oh yeah, I was wondering if you’d be able to show me around some time, seeing as I’m new to this place I would be happy to have a guide around.” He said smiling, rubbing the back of his head.

“Sure!” Just come see me here tomorrow after my shift and I can take you on a tour of the hub and answer some questions you might have.” She said, smiling back.

“Thanks, see you tomorrow I guess.” He made an awkward wave goodbye.

“See you.” She said, waving back.

Last edited:
Moebius

Prime Hub

Upper Spire Office Park 34

Office of Mustafa Mendez

The sunlight hits the clouds outside bathing the spires in a golden hue, the view from the topside always was spectacular. I'd been in the office for two years now and the sunrise was still the best thing about it, a sight that billions living below the mid habitations never saw. At first glance, you might be tempted to say id made it, hit the big time, that would be a mistake on your part.

Fifteen years in the fraud office and another five as assistant to the prime treasurer might look exciting on paper but it counts for diddly squat when the wife leaves you for a shipping magnate and takes everything but the hydration unit in the divorce. She's off-world now, probably living it up on some pleasure resort on Tellus, I'm still here doing the only thing I was ever really any good at, following the slip-ups left by fraudsters who think they can evade the law.

Mustafa Mendez, PI for the rich and gullible, I come with a recommendation from treasury and I take my Nex payments promptly and upfront thank you very much. Two years on the tired act still seemed to be working for me, I get plenty of cases and make enough to avoid being cast down into the lower levels by the taxman.

Most of the time it’s straightforward nonsense, find out if the husband to the heiress is cheating, track down two absconding lovers on behalf of their aristocratic parents, find out who's been skimming from the trust fund. But this case had the makings of something far more complicated than a simple lover's tryst. It’s a story as old as time itself, he was old, rich and lonely and she was young and pretty, usually, that would be where it ended, with him dying old and satisfied and her inheriting his vast fortune.

It hadn't gone that way this time, she’d done something outside the usual trophy wife formula, she’d got religion. Enticed away from her life of luxury by promises of something greater, it was unconventional I'll give you that. The old man hadn't taken it so well and now he was in my office barely able to hold back the ugly man tears. Couldn’t help but sympathize with him, he kinda reminded me of myself, another gullible old fool too lovestruck to see the trouble right in front of him.

Balod Khan III was not an attractive specimen, at the advanced age of 188 it was hard to discern where the wrinkles ended and the man began. He was so decrepit he needed a powered exoskeleton just to go to the bathroom and I'm not even going to try and conceive of what arcane means he needed to use to finish the task when he got there. He did not have looks and he didn’t have youth, what he did have was a vast fortune thanks to his ownership of the sectors biggest robotics conglomerate, the guy could have bought half the planet.

“Why not go to the police?” I ask sceptically

Or better yet why not buy a damn army with those funds and track her down yourself?” I can't help but think to myself

“I already tried that! They say there is no law against a person joining a religious organization! But I'm telling you, Mr Mendez, these Nova Terrans are a damned cult! My poor Irellia is being brainwashed!” the ancient magnate ranted before bawling his eyes out

I had heard about the Nova Terrans, saw a few interesting holodocs on them, interstellar hicks that had decided that their rural poverty and bumpkin levels of ignorance were proof of divine Favour. They had a mission on Moebius, lay preachers spent their days handing out pamphlets and promising salvation to passersby’s on the processionals. No one paid them much mind, they were just more noise drowned out by the greater cacophony of life on the periphery's greatest world. Clearly, though their song had stirred something in Irellia Khan.

“So, you want me to track her down?” I ask reaching for a cigarette and putting it to my lips

“No Mr Mendez, I know exactly where she is, in that damn compound of theirs! I want you to bring her home!” he exclaims a sudden surge of anger filling his voice as he does so

“A case like that is going to be complicated,” I say lighting my cigarette and inhaling deeply

“I will pay you 10 million NEX, 4 upfront and the other 6 upon Irellia’s safe return!” he says a sudden look of determination crossing his wrinkled features

10 million?! I could travel the length of inaius seven times over with that much cash, or buy a palace her on Moebius. Like I said Balod Khan did not have many things going for him, but it's amazing how well having enough money to buy half the cluster can compensate for those deficiencies. I smile, trying not to let my excitement register, never let them know they have hooked you.

“That should be sufficient Mr Khan, now let's start with the basics, when did your wife abscond,” I ask leaning in and reaching for a data tablet

Details, the case is all in the details, where, when, with what and why, he talks, I listen.

Last edited:
Back