Somehow, Palpatine has returned
TNP Nation
Cretox State
Discord
Cretox#0125

vd_seal.png

2020 WADP Survey Results

Greetings, all!

I'm pleased to present the results of the 2020 World Assembly Development Program survey, along with relevant commentary. As with prior years, this survey was a joint effort between r3n, the Security Council, and the Vice Delegate's office. Special thanks to my predecessor @Dreadton for his work on this last term. We received 102 total responses this year, and results look promising overall. We've also received excellent written feedback that will be put to good use. Below is a question-by-question breakdown of the results along with trends that we're seeing. There are 49 questions in total, and the survey was consistently advertised to TNP residents through Discord and telegram. An overview of last year's results can be found here.

Question 1 - Did you previously know about the World Assembly Development Program (WADP)?

7YQmNVQ.jpg

Good results, though a decrease from last year's ~75%. Between the 3-day scripted telegram, advertisements, regionwide telegrams, constant RMB advertising, mass pings, and litany of other tools we use for WADP advertising, I'm not all too certain how 27.5% of respondents were unaware of its existence.

Question 2 - Do you have a nation in The North Pacific (TNP) that is a World Assembly member?

134olv3.jpg

This result is somewhat puzzling when compared with that of question 1; how are TNP WAs unaware of the WADP with the constant barrage of WADP-related content they receive? An interesting inversion of what I expected going into this.

Question 3 - If no, please explain why.

NPA
-
I'm a puppet.
idk why
Bharathvarsh
Not currently interested in joining WA
Have a WA nation elsewhere
I Will teu tô enter
no
Too much voting and telegrams for the zero fun it provided.
I don't want to abide by foreign legislation
I already have a nation in World Assembly that is located in different region and which is my "main nation".
Multilateralism is cool
North Pacific Army
It's globalist views and anti authoritarian decisions are not of my nations interest.
I don't want to put email
I honestly do not know why I haven't joined.
My WA nation exists elsewhere.

Responses to this question can be categorized as such:
  1. I don't see the point.
  2. I don't like the WA as an institution.
  3. My WA is tied up elsewhere.
The WADP (obviously) emphasizes WA membership as a regional development tool. A not insignificant number of people see WA membership as carrying unwanted baggage due to its connection with the WA as a RP institution that they don't want to bother with.

Question 4 - Do you exchange endorsements ("endotart") with other nations in TNP?

bGBbycm.jpg

44.1% of respondents purportedly exchanging endorsements on a daily basis, with 68.6% exchanging endorsements at least weekly, is very nice to see. The 14.7% who don't endorse at all coincides with the 14.7% who don't have a TNP WA nation.

Question 5 - If no, please explain why.

I'm a puppet, bozo.
I've already endorsed everyone.
Not WA member
Not WA
no
I'm not a WA member.
What's that?
I think that my answer to previous question explains it :P
I don’t understand why or how
I am in the NPA, so I never have the time to. Before joining, I used to exchange every couple days.
Not WA member.
I don't know how
because i can't get others to endorse
I dont want to.

Beyond the standard "don't have WA," "NPA member," and "can't be bothered," 2 responses stand out to me:
  1. "I don't know how" - This likely indicates a lack of knowledge of our endotarting forum page.
  2. "Because I can't get others to endorse" - This is likely due to a lack of knowledge of how to write an effective endotarting TG or reach out to people. Alternatively, it could be due to not knowing that the endotarting page exists.

Question 6 - Do you telegram nations you endorse to ask for their endorsement?

JwBQxa7.jpg

A lot of 14.7% here. 85.3% of respondents not telegramming to ask for return endorsements tells me that people either don't know how to ask for endorsements, or don't bother with doing so. This is something to work on.

Question 7 - Do you use the "Endorse The North Pacific!" page?

L6yixwJ.jpg

This corroborates the conclusions drawn from the prior 2 questions' results: quite a few nations who endotart regularly don't use the endotarting page, and many endotarters don't send telegrams asking for return endorsements.

Question 8 - Which version of the "Endorse The North Pacific!" page do you prefer to use?

CbAWB8X.jpg

I'm curious to know how someone can simultaneously use the endotarting page and not use the endotarting page. Hat tip to the 45 fellow table users.

Question 9 - Please explain the choice you made above.

I like it
The least amount of thinking/navigating
I don’t understand Zen mode
Because I hadn't heard of it until today.
I do not use the page.
I just prefer to record which nations I have endorsed
table based is fast and easy
Don't lose my place when endorsing
Zen mode is faster
I prefer to endorse the nations I like or to re-endorse the nation that endorse me.
What's an endorsment?
I prefer to endorse many nations at a time when I endorse nations, so I use the table-based resukt to open many tabs of nations I will endorse.
Um
table based results is easier to use
it's simple
I did not know about it
I find it simple.
it's the easiest imo
Back when I exchanged endorsements/maintained a high count, I'd just make sure I endorsed every nation as quickly as possible.
I am new in this, just registered. No idea what is going on.
Never heard of it.
Zen is easier when using mobile
I don't have the probability of losing track of where I was. I tend to open 60 tabs, scroll to the end, and then CTRL+W as soon as the page reloads after endorsing
Unsure what you are referring too
Easier to do more with it
by de fault
didn't know it existed
I don't know what it is.
I actually use the text-based list and a script that lets me jump to the next nation in the list using key presses
I don't really care about endorsments.
Because I dont use the endorse page.
It is easier to endorse people that way.
Using CTRL+CLICK to open a new tab makes it much faster
i never heard of it until now
Somehow I never knew it existed
Zen Mode typically makes my computer get slower.
Mach easier use
I only thought there was one mode. Didn’t know about zen mode
Tables make it easy to endorse and look up nations. I never even bothered seeing "Zen Mode"
Quicker and more efficient for me to utilize this function
Fastest way by simply ctl+left click, and then quickly tabbing between them all and endorse.
Prefer due to the fact that i can just spam click and open 50+ tabs before chrome dies.
open a lot of pages, endorse, close page, go to next nation page
I did not know about Zen Mode

Interestingly, some respondents were unaware of Zen Mode or its purpose. Perhaps it could be positioned more prominently/higher up on the page.

Question 10 - Do you have any suggestions for improving the "Endorse The North Pacific!" page?

No
No.
no
N/A
Update faster so you dont click the same name twice
up to u
I can't open multiple nations to endorse using my tablet, but I'm very patient so I just do everything one by one.
Not right now
Nope. None that I can think of.
Nope.
No, its designed well and I like how the endorse button is featured on the main tab, making it easier to find and use.
Yes, when you sort the nations alphabetically, the new nations that just joined the WA that day are not yet sorted and just sit at the top of the table/list and not in alphabetical order. If this could be fixed that would be great!
Remember nations I've endorsed so that if I refresh the page it doesn't show them to me again. Also, know about nations I've endorsed without using it (like returning a new endorsement).
Please create a mobile version
provide sorting facility on names of nations that are yet to endorse
An option to start zen mode from X people down the list
I don't
Um
None.
It would look lovely in a Purple theme
Clicking on the zen mode "Next Nation" button should have an option to disable automatic tab switching. That way, one can keep clicking on it until satisfied.
more convenience required
There are occasional issues where nations are listed in the table but not in the plaintext list, which causes them to get skipped
Make the tool exclusive to the North Pacific again. The reason I am a TNP citizen is because I get many free endorsements and TNP was originally the only region on NS where nations could see top 1% endorsements within a week of residency. This is a major pull and something we offer NS that other regions cannot. Why dilute this power?
no its perfect
Pre-fill the telegram if possible, at the moment it is far too time-consuming to send telegrams.
Make it easier to endorse faster
Prefer it to update more often, maybe every 6 hours.
none

Plenty of understandable suggestions that I'll bring up to the SC.

Question 11 - Did you previously know about the Keepers of the North?

nH25KVT.jpg

More people knew about the Keepers than the WADP itself, despite both initiatives usually being advertised simultaneously. 84.3% is hardly a bad thing, though. This could be chalked up to (1) Keepers being much easier to understand, and (2) the automated Keeper TGs.

Question 12 - Are you currently a Keeper of the North?

O60Ki4K.jpg

Same split as question 1 percentage-wise (did you previously know about the WADP?). More matching splits than expected thus far.

Question 13 - If no, please explain why.

I am in the process of becoming a Keeper.
I think I am but i cant remember
-
No interest.
i believe i am but i haven't received an email
Not WA member
Not WA
I have never heard of it
Again, no WA membership.
I'm not sure, but I think that I am a Keeper of the North.
what's that?
If I understand correctly, I need to be part of WA to be a KofN... Yeah, that's a big problem.
not sure if i still am
Um
NPA
too much work
Didn't know
Never heard of it.
I don't know
because i can't get others to endorse
I am still unsure about the structure of it
didn't know it existed
I don't know it.
Haven't gotten around to do it.
Because I did not endorse the North Pacific Security Council but I will be a keeper of the Noth somehow in the future.
trying to get it
I'm not mentioned as a keeper, but i do endorse the people required.

Respondents saying that being a Keeper is "too much work" or that they don't know if they're a Keeper or not leads me to believe that people are unaware of some of the details or the less prominent dispatches pertaining to Keepers. This also applies to the WADP.

Question 14 - Did you previously know about voting on World Assembly resolutions?

GlTXEd8.jpg

Hopefully that 1 person now knows about voting on resolutions. :D

Question 15 - Do you generally vote on World Assembly resolutions?

afujTme.jpg

79.4% generally voting both chambers is promising. No respondents reporting only voting on SC resolutions is fascinating. Perhaps the SC and what factors into the quality of a SC proposal is simply less intuitive.

Question 16 - If no, please explain why.

-
Not WA member
no
Not a member of the WA.
I'm not in the World Assembly
Multilateralism is cool
Not a member of WA.

Very straightforward.

Question 17 - Did you previously know about the WADP censuses?

e2ZjbLl.jpg

For those who don't know, the WADP censuses are used to determine which nations get WADP awards every month, and to track lifetime stats. To me, these results indicate that quite a few people don't have the time or the desire to read through the full breadth of dispatches explaining the WADP.

Question 18 - Do you actively seek to improve your nations' rankings in the WADP censuses?

mu6woRa.jpg

The vast majority of respondents aware of the censuses reported actively trying to improve their rankings; a great result.

Question 19 - If no, please explain why.

I don't particularly care, plus NPA.
-
I just let my decisions on issues take their natural course.
not that important to me
I'm a puppet, bozo. Stop asking.
idk what those really are
I personally don't care about them
Previously unaware of the census
More of a general lack of know-how to do it.
Not WA member
Well now I will now I know about it.
I seek to increase my endorsements and influence, which may happen to improve my rankings, but that's not the purpose.
no
Not a WA member.
Because I didn't have notice of the WADP.
The what?
I am not part of WA in The North Pacific.
I just prefer to endorse when I want to.
Um
Tedious and then I have to drop WA again for NPA stuff
It seems unreasonable to be able to get on the ranking
I didn't know about it
As said before, in the NPA so it's a bit difficult to.
I don't care about it
Same as before
dunno whatcha talking about
I didnt know about it
Not actively, but I do the tasks anyway. I'm not that competitive
It is dominated by much more devoted people than myself.
I don't really care.
I don't spend a lot of time on the site itself, so I can't do that as often as I could
never heard of it until now
I didn't know about the WADP
I don’t really care. Of course it might be prestigious to be in the top but there are other things I like to spend time doing instead
I don't care.
I'm lazy
I did not know about the censuses

NPA and other commitments aside, there seems to be an appearance of insurmountability associated with placing on the top bracket of WADP censuses. And that is true to some degree; not everyone can or wants to log in every day to top off their endorsements given, and many of the census categories are lifetime counts.

Question 20 - Do you have any suggestions for improving the WADP censuses?

No
No.
no
N/A
up to u
-
no sorry
No real reason. It doesn't seem interesting.
Nope
nopes
I don't.
See above
None
None, really. I'm a statistics man myself
nope
Link them in a location that is more convenient, it's currently hard to find them
no its perfect
No, since I’m not really interested in it.
None really.
none that i can think of. I think they are fine as is

"Link them in a location that is more convenient, it's currently hard to find them" - This is accurate. The censuses themselves are not prominently displayed, and are tucked under "Benefits" in the WADP dispatch collection.

Question 21 - Did you previously know about the WADP awards?

e0XHOp3.jpg

Some people knew of the awards and not the censuses, despite the censuses determining WADP awards.

Question 22 - Have you won any WADP awards with your nations?

VCPLnuB.jpg

This is interesting, considering that Keepers and new TNP WAs get awards each month. It could simply be an indication that some people are unfamiliar with the specifics of the WADP, or that some respondents are new nations that haven't received their first monthly awards yet.

Question 23 - Do you actively seek to win WADP awards with your nations?

DxUuXgd.jpg

The vast majority of people who have won a WADP award actively try to win them. This is a lower percentage than those who try to improve their census rankings. Reasonable, considering that awards are only a part of the censuses.

Question 24 - If no, please explain why.

NPA.
never win
-
I win awards occasionally without really seeking them.
not that important to me
Really?
i don't know
I don't care about them
Focusing on simply building my nation up and getting the rules down so far.
Not WA member
I seek to increase my endorsements and influence, which may happen to win me awards, but that's not the purpose.
no
Didn't feel like it.
The whatnow?
Cards are not my objective in TNP.
Um
See previous text answer
apathy
I like the idea, but I don't do anything for the awards.
I didn't know about it after looking at it though I would like to win some
In the NPA.
I don't care about it
Idk
The rewards in there do not suit my interest
I didnt know
didn't know it existed
I don't have any clue abt what it is
Again, I don't really care.
When I do have time, it's not always my number one priority
That's not my goal in NationStates.
The same as for the census. I am not really interested.
I don't care.
Laziness is a curse

Quite a few people reported that they aren't motivated by the awards (i.e., cards), though they still seek endorsements. Makes sense; cards are only a relatively small part of NS.

Question 25 - Do you have any suggestions for improving the WADP awards?

No
No.
no
N/A
nope
-
Aerilia often wins the clout award, when we both actually tie. Just because their name is alphabetically before mine, I only come second. Make it so that nations that tie, both come first, or randomly choose which one wins. Unfair that Aerilia wins just because they start with A. Can I change my nation to AAAA[redacted]?
yes by voting routes all over the nations.
Gain cards if you get an award. Example: Nation A wins Conversationalist award ang gets an epic card for it.
Nope.
Nope
I don't.
Maybe telegram people telling them the awards they won - it is a pain in the neck to scroll through the whole dispatch looking for your nation.
None.
Not really
no its still very perfect
Expanding the number of awards, maybe by rewarding number of cards gathered

Better handling of ties, more concise TGs, and expanding what accomplishments are rewarded with cards are all things to look into.

Question 26 - Did you previously know about the WADP lifetime achievements?

Lk8YnmQ.jpg

Slightly fewer people knew of the lifetime achievements than the awards in general. Entirely predictable.

Question 27 - Have you won any WADP lifetime achievements with your nations?

Z9hka1z.jpg

This is simply a matter of visibility, since every nation that gives at least 1 endorsement or has WA status in TNP for at least 1 day gets a lifetime achievement. As it stands, lifetime achievements are an obscure and fairly hidden facet of the WADP. They're a nice bonus, but don't have much of a tangible effect on the program itself.

Question 28 - Do you actively seek to win WADP lifetime achievements with your nations?

QY2GRJh.jpg

Some respondents who seek lifetime achievements reportedly didn't receive any, despite almost certainly already receiving at least 1. Further indication of the less visible and relevant nature of lifetime achievements.

Question 29 - If no, please explain why.

never win
-
I was unaware of the awards.
not that important to me
This is getting irritating.
I don't care about them
Same answer as above.
I don't search them, but I celebrate if I win them.
Not WA member
I think I'm just fine endotarting, in my opinion. It's a nice hobby and helps improve the regions.
I seek to increase my endorsements and influence, which may happen to win me achievements, but that's not the purpose.
Because I cannot assure my time on NationStates.
no
I didn't know about their existence.
What
No interested
Um
apathy
I didn't know about it.
Don't really strive to achieve them. Never felt really motivated to after a while.
I don't care about it
Idk
dunno whatcha talkin about
Not interested
I didnt know
didn't know it existed
I don't have any clue abt what it is
Look at my other answers.
Explained above, I don't log in frequently and it's not a priority to me
Once again, this is not my main goal in NationStates.
I don't care.
I don't even know what that is
I forgot about it and the only thing you get is a virtue medal.

A significant portion of responses focused on a lack of motivation to pursue lifetime achievements.

Question 30 - Do you have any suggestions for improving the WADP lifetime achievements?

No
No.
nope
no
N/A
-
no.
Nope
I don't.
Maybe telegram people telling them the awards they won - it is a pain in the neck to scroll through the whole dispatch looking for your nation.
None.
None come to mind.
no its very perfect
No, I inactively try and win those awards since I want endorsements!
Maybe some more specialised awards? I don't know.
Give out certain numbers of card for each achievement.

More concise telegrams seem to be a recurring theme here. More specialized rewards, specifically rewarding cards for every achievement, is also something to look into.

Question 31 - Do you participate in the trading cards game?

7Q9vDv5.jpg

69.6% of respondents reported participating in the trading cards game, yet only 50.0% reported actively seeking WADP awards. My takeaway here is that the current rewards structure isn't sufficiently motivating, or that this survey's questions could be phrased better.

Question 32 - Did you previously know about the WADP card lottery?

KEXbpPc.jpg

More respondents know of the card lottery than participate in the trading cards game. This indicates that some respondents simply aren't motivated by trading cards, and choose to not partake in that part of the WADP despite being aware of it.

Question 33 - Have your nations won any trading cards through the WADP card lottery?

8P7G45Z.jpg

A decent split. With how many nations are eligible for the daily lotteries, it makes sense that newer nations especially might not have received a card through the lottery yet.

Question 34 - Do you actively seek to improve your chances of winning the WADP card lottery with your nations?

68uUVWb.jpg

Fewer respondents reported actively seeking to improve their lottery odds than actively pursuing WADP awards or lifetime achievements. This is understandable: the lottery is a comparatively passive initiative with low barriers to entry.

Question 35 - If no, please explain why.

Dont feel like it
-
I have no real interest in the card side of NationStates.
not that important to me
Go away.
I don't care about cards and I don't trade them
Note: I don't care about cards.
Again, lack of knowledge of how to improve my chances.
Not WA member
Now I know about it I will.
I might in the future, but cards aren't my main focus in NS. Currently it is just improving my stats in the censuses, and it used to be gaining as many endorsements as I could until I gained too many and I legally couldn't actively try to gain endorsements anymore as I had hit the legal limit.
I seek to increase my endorsements and influence, which may happen to advantage me in the lottery, but that's not the purpose.
I dont want to use cards
Don't feel like it.
Didn't know about it.
Because I'm not interested.
I get my cards from Issues
I am not part of WA in The North Pacific and as this nation is more like of an experiment rather than "serious" attempt at governing a nation I prefer to not switch my WA nation to this one.
Um
did not know about it
Since I card farm already, I don't really put much effort or thought into other methods of attaining cards.
I don't care about it
I dont take part in these games.
meh
I have no interest in cards
Not really interested in it
i don't know how to acces the cards :/
Idk it
I do not have the time to devote.
im noob sorry :(
Look above. idc.
I haven't entered that "world" and community surrounding cards, but I plan on doing that soon
I don't care.
Ugh
I card farm, So i get the cards i need from by puppets rather than getting the chance to get the card you want.

Respondents largely either weren't aware of the lottery or simply aren't interested in pursuing it. This is predictable, considering the passive nature of the lottery compared to other areas of the WADP.

Question 36 - Do you have any suggestions for improving the WADP card lottery?

No
no
No.
N/A
nope
-
3 persons win legendaries and 3 persons win epic cards
Yes making even more.
Nope.
Nope
I don't.
None
Not really. Chances are slim, but fair
no its perfect still
Maybe picking me a few more times ;)

Self-explanatory.

Question 37 - If you had to pick just one reason to participate in the WADP, what would it be?

wIEb0tg.jpg

ls9eCHh.jpg

The most diverse question of the survey. The majority of respondents reported that they believe the main reason to participate in the WADP is endorsement and influence gain, with a significant minority reporting that WADP awards, censuses, and cards are the primary driver in their eyes.

Question 38 - Did you previously know about the WADP statistics?

7rHm44q.jpg

57.8% is higher than I expected. It's nice to know that the majority of respondents are at least aware of the statistics page, even though it's not referenced publicly too often.

Question 39 - Do you find the WADP statistics useful?

wHhAcy4.jpg

Another pleasant surprise. 75.5% is a significantly higher percentage of respondents than I anticipated, and it's great to see that so many people find the statistics useful.

Question 40 - Do you have any suggestions for improving the WADP statistics?

No
no
No.
None
N/A
-
Make the results more public (example, featuring the data), becouse they are very hidden and almost no one knows them
Promulgate them!
Even though I don't find the statistics useful at the moment, it is a good resource for those who like to know the ins and outs and also immerse themselves fully. I might come to using them in the future. No changes needed at the moment.
Nope
I don't.
Not at this time.
nope
none
I just think they are useless. Personally I don’t know any nation in TNP who are interested in them.

The responses to this question that caught my eye are:
  1. "Make the results more public" - something to look into, given that so many respondents reported finding the statistics useful.
  2. "I just think they are useless." - Given that the statistics are primarily there as reference material, this is completely understandable.

Question 41 - Did you previously know about the Security Council of The North Pacific?

Zm8WFVP.jpg

Hopefully, that 10.8% now knows of the SC. It's difficult to see how they didn't, considering that the SC is advertised through the region's world factbook entry, scripted telegrams sent to every new nation, and consistent endorsement alerts.

Question 42 - Do you generally endorse members of the Security Council of The North Pacific?

zhOJjUc.jpg

The vast majority of respondents reporting that they know of the SC also indicated that they generally endorse SCers. Great to see.

Question 43 - If no, please explain why.

-
Do you even speak English?
Not WA member
no
Unless when asked to do so in the case of assisting transitions
I don't know how
Um
No member of WA.
I didn't know The North Pacific had its own Security Council
I just try to endorse everyone I can in good conscience.

Lo siento, no hablo ingles. Other WA commitments interfering with endorsing SCers is understandable, and the existing volume of SC advertising guarantees that people learn of the SC quite quickly.

Question 44 - Do you generally approve ("upvote") WADP-related dispatches?

weO0YXz.jpg

This is also a better result than I expected. While not immediately essential to the region's security, upvoting dispatches is nevertheless important for ensuring that our security efforts and programs are visible and seen as an accepted point of authority by new nations.

Question 45 - If no, please explain why.

Too lazy
-
Oh, come on.
Forgot upvotes were a thing
Not actively reading them
I can't say for certain I know what these are.
Its usually not on my mind to upvote them, but when I remember I usually do.
There's a lot of them
no
What and where?
I tend to ignore most dispatches on this account.
Um
I only occasionally read them
No member of WA.
Did not know I could
I have never seen them before
I haven't paid attention to these dispatches.
I hardly read them. I just ignore my mentions and telegrams about WADP.
I don't care.
Usefulness of upvoing is not apparent to advancing regional security
Really depends on if i like them or not.

Given the prevalence of telegrams, Discord pings, and the forum for communication, it's understandable that quite a few respondents aren't aware of or don't take the time to read through these dispatches in their entirety, if somewhat disappointing.

Question 46 - Do you have any other suggestions or comments about the WADP?

No
No.
no
N/A
nope
-
Stop bugging long-term non-WA residents about this.
Nope
i don't.
nope
none
No, it’s not really my area.

Question 47 - Do you have an account on the regional forum?

2gsdFdq.jpg

Given that this survey was extensively advertised through regional TG as well as Discord and the forum, these results are reasonable.

Question 48 - Are you a citizen of The North Pacific?

3ARKr0U.jpg

It's pleasing to see that the vast majority of respondents with forum accounts are also citizens. It also makes sense, given that citizenship necessitates a forum account.

Question 49 - What is the name of your nation?

Yeah... not giving the responses to this one. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back