Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Chief Justice
ga.jpg

Death Penalty Ban
Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Imperium Anglorum | Onsite Topic

The World Assembly,

Recognising that there is no convincing and statistically robust evidence that the death penalty deters crime,

Hoping to spend money currently dedicated to the substantial administrative and legal costs of pursuing death penalties on enforcement or rehabilitation programmes which actually do reduce crime,

Gravely concerned that even under stringent protocols death penalties are issued against people who are actually innocent of the crimes for which they are to be punished, and

Believing that the death penalty in its application and pursuit targets the mentally ill, socio-economically disadvantaged, and members of racial and cultural minorities, even when administered under facially neutral statutes, hereby enacts the following:

1. The death penalty is abolished except for crimes under a military penal code committed during time of war.

2. All sentences contravening section 1 must be commuted forthwith under procedures not inconsistent with World Assembly law.

3. Member nations collectively may further restrict the use of or abolish the death penalty, section 1 notwithstanding.

Co-authored by Cretox State.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD] For [/TD][TD] Against [/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]18[/TD][TD]10[/TD][TD]0[/TD][TD]1[/TD][/TR]

Death Penalty Ban was passed 10,416 (67.3%) votes to 5,052 (32.7%).

Last edited by a moderator:
IFV

Overview This at-vote proposal, "Death Penalty Ban", seeks to ban the execution of prisoners except under military penal code during time of war. All currently-outstanding sentences involving capital punishment will also commuted. The proposal allows further legislation to also ban the death penalty during times of war.

Recommendation The World Assembly has, throughout its existence, required that its members abide by basic standards of morality. However, it has not yet done so in one area: capital punishment. The use of execution as a means of punishment is inherently inconsistent with human dignity, and is inefficient as well. Furthermore, the risk of executing innocents is inherent to the death penalty, although the likelihood of this is significantly lower when dealing with war crimes (the exception in this resolution).

For these reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends voting For the at-vote General Assembly proposal, "Death Penalty Ban".

Last edited by a moderator:
For (non-WA). It is time for the World Assembly to impose limitations and inevitably implement a total and universal ban on judicial murder. The proposed resolution is a step in that direction.

Is it planned for the WA resolution automatically remove the capital punishment policy on individual member states? And the impact on the crime rate after passing. If not then I don't care, if it does then Against.

Last edited:
Against, nations should be given their own choice on the death penalty not one decided by the WA
I would argue that if a nation applies for and joins the World Assembly, they subscribe to the idea that policies such as these can be decided and legislated upon by the World Assembly.

Is it planned for the WA resolution automatically remove the capital punishment policy on individual member states? And the impact on the crime rate after passing. If not then I don't care, if it does then Against.
World Assembly Resolutions have no affect on your nation's shown policies. Instead, they affect your nation's stats.

World Assembly Resolutions have no affect on your nation's shown policies. Instead, they affect your nation's stats.
@simone_republic Additionally, WA resolutions don't have instant tangible effects from a RP perspective.

For.

Simple and effective, can get behind this easily. Also Cretox is holding a gun to my head. Help
If this passes, I won't be able to threaten you like that anymore! :D

Last edited:
Against.

Reasoning: True Vexilian Comrades wouldn't even be considered for arrest let alone execution as it is solely reserved for traitors of the people and the workers who keep Vexilia running like a well oiled machine.
Trial and execution of the capitalists along with the traitors has kept the Status Quo for the past four, almost five years in our glorious republic.

Last edited:
I would argue that if a nation applies for and joins the World Assembly, they subscribe to the idea that policies such as these can be decided and legislated upon by the World Assembly.

World Assembly Resolutions have no affect on your nation's shown policies. Instead, they affect your nation's

I vote against

Against, for these reasons. Personally I don't feel strongly one way or the other about the death penalty but it should absolutely be in the hands of national governments and not international law.
It’s a human rights matter. It is most definitely a matter for international law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back