The North Pacific v St George

The Court is now in session and will hear the case of The North Pacific v. St George.

Indictment

I bring forward the following charge(s) holding that all the below is true and honest to the best of my belief.

Name of Complainant: 9003

Name(s) of Accused: St George

Date(s) of Alleged Crime(s): 11/02/2020

Crime: Gross misconduct

Specifics of Crime(s): St George was biased and abused his power to conduct Speaker’s checks by willingly ignoring a citizenship application with the intent to limit the individuals free speech. Thus infringing on that citizens right to fair and equal treatment under the law. .

Summary of Events:
In the early afternoon EST of the date of the crime, St. George posted several messages in the regional Discord server in which he insulted Wonderess. Below is a summary of those messages.
Follows a conversation showing the strong distaste that St George (known on Discord as MadJack) has for wonderess. The events below occurred while St George held the office of speaker.

A summary of the key messages in the conversation are outlined below.

Wonderess is trash and people shouldn't interact with him - full shun, because that's all he deserves.

Most people in TNP are fundamentally decent period. There are some, like Wonderess and Cosmo, who aren't.

Will not be quoted due to profanity but both summarize to say
"F*** Off"

You are trash pretending to be something better than trash
While this is not a crime in itself, it shows a clear personal bias towards Wonderess.
St George then willingly posted the following
Just a note - the Speakers Office will not be processing Wonderess's citizenship application. It will be left to go the full 14 days allowed by law. I am fully aware of the potential consequences of this action.
He then went on to accept others ignoring said application, as seen here, https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9145386/post-10354552. This shows his intent to purposefully delay this specific application, thus infringing on Wonderess's right to "equal and fair treatment"as given by Article 9 of the Bill of Rights.

9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency. No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of the Constitution. No governmental authority shall have power to adopt or impose an ex post facto law or a bill of attainder as to any act for purposes of criminal proceedings.

Evidence:
Just a note - the Speakers Office will not be processing Wonderess's citizenship application. It will be left to go the full 14 days allowed by law. I am fully aware of the potential consequences of this action.

It would be to the detriment of the office, the Regional Assembly and to TNP to endorse the application of someone who would happily malign, exclude and discriminate against people based on their sexuality or other innate characteristics.

Bill of Rights Article 9
9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency. No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of the Constitution. No governmental authority shall have power to adopt or impose an ex post facto law or a bill of attainder as to any act for purposes of criminal proceedings.

Follows a conversation showing the strong distaste the St George aka MadJack has for wonderess. The events below occurred while St George was in the office of speaker.

A summary of the key messages in the conversation are outlined below.

Wonderess is trash and people shouldn't interact with him - full shun, because that's all he deserves.

Most people in TNP are fundamentally decent period. There are some, like Wonderess and Cosmo, who aren't.

Will not be quoted due to profanity but both summarize to say
"F*** Off"

You are trash pretending to be something better than trash

Presiding over this case as Moderating Justice will be @Zyvetskistaahn @Vivanco

Representing The North Pacific as Prosecutor: @Lady Raven Wing

Representing St George as counsel: @Mall and @mcmasterdonia

Plea of the Defendant: Not Guilty

Current Phase: Evidence Submission [November 30, 2020 - December 7, 2020]

This post will be updated as information becomes available including the trial timetable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vivanco

I don't know anymore.
-
-
-
As the Court reassembles itself and selects a new Chief Justice, as part of the prior Court I will announce that @saintpeter has decided to recuse themselves from the case. Once a new Chief Justice is selected by Court, a Temporary Hearing Officer will be appointed.

Vivanco

I don't know anymore.
-
-
-
@St George Lady Raven Wing has been chosen as Prosecution for this case, and has taken their oath of office.
You have 24 hours since such oath was taken to submit a plea to the Court. Failure to do so, a plea of Not Guilty will be entered into the record in your behalf.

Vivanco

I don't know anymore.
-
-
-
The Court takes note of the defendant's plea.

Following Chapter 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the Court Rules and Procedures, the Court request for the Defense and Prosecution to present their proposed schedules for the next phase of this trial: Evidence Submission.
In the case one or both parties would like any deposition to be made, we are in the need to coordinate for these to be done efficiently and succinctly.

The Defense and Prosecution have 48 hours to set forth a proposed schedule with the following details:
  • Length of the Evidence Submission period.
  • Availability for Depositions from the parties.
  • Possibility of any of the parties anticipate submitting a Request For Review.
    • If so, specify when.

Lady Raven Wing

Citizen
-
Your honor,

Prosecution believes a period of 3 days will be sufficient for the Evidence Submission phase, as determined by what evidence is expected to be entered into the record by both parties. At this time, I have arranged for a witness to give a statement, which has been included in my estimates of the time required to submit evidence. Should the Defense request a full deposition, I would think a 7 day period would provisionally be more appropriate, in recognition of the added time depositions can take.

At this time, I have no expectation of a R4R being necessary in the course of the trial, including during the Evidence Submission period.

Vivanco

I don't know anymore.
-
-
-
The defense has less than 24 hours to specify their proposed schedules. If they do not answer when the time limit is met, we shall proceed with only the Prosecution's proposition.
( @mcmasterdonia @Mall )

mcmasterdonia

TNPer
-
-
-
-
-
Your honour,

The defence believes an evidence submission phase of seven days is an appropriate timeframe for evidence we may need to submit. We would also expect a full deposition of any witness testimony that is presented. Therefore the seven days is the minimum acceptable timeframe to allow the defendant fair due process. With respect to the R4R, the defence does not anticipate a R4R, but naturally this may change in respect to how this trial may progress.

Vivanco

I don't know anymore.
-
-
-
In light of the above, the evidence submission period will commence immediately and expire on Monday, December 7, at 10:56 AM CET, unless otherwise extended by the Court.
Parties are advised the deposition threads will be made available on request.

@mcmasterdonia @Mall @Lady Raven Wing

Lady Raven Wing

Citizen
-
Your honor, I wish to enter the following pieces of evidence for the record:

Pieces from the TNP forum itself, which I request the Moderating Justice accept without authentication upon their confirmation that the pieces in question "does not contain any content that does not appear in the original location." Per the rules, all of these pieces are linked (via the quote function) for appropriate viewing.

A.1
A.2
The Speakers Check is an endorsement of a potential citizens application. It would be to the detriment of the office, the Regional Assembly and to TNP to endorse the application of someone who would happily malign, exclude and discriminate against people based on their sexuality or other innate characteristics.

The law states after 14 days an application passes if it is not yet checked. It can wait until then.
A.3
It appears that rather than speak to me directly about it, some people are instead using this as an opportunity to say things about me that I cannot currently respond to. Let me lay out where I'm out and hopefully dispel some misconceptions:
  1. This is very much not about the election. Frankly, I don't care who wins, don't care who runs and don't care who Wonderess - or anyone else - will or would be voting for. I plan to abstain if I vote at all.
  2. I am 'corrupt' for taking this action. Now the way I measure corruption is that for something to qualify as corruption, I would have to gain something from it - I'm not sure what I personally gain from this. Is there a sense of satisfaction from not processing someone's application? No, not really. Does it make me more likely to win re-election, or enhance my standing in the region? I think public reaction to this move shows it isn't the case. I foresaw the reaction, and whilst I'm not exactly enjoying myself, it's nice to be in the thick of things I guess.
  3. The idea that I have broken the laws or my oath of office in taking this move. I don't believe I have but if I have, I wouldn't be the first government official to have nor will I be the last. Hell, declassification still isn't happening and there's probably a good 2 or 3 r4rs or court cases one could make out of Z-Day. I'd rather not spend my time doing that. Either way, if people believe I have broken my oath or a law then you know where the courts are and you can seek my recall in these very halls.
  4. This is due to a dispute I have with Wonderess. Well, yeah. I have a dispute with how Wonderess acts, the things he says and what he does when in positions of power. I believe that TNP is better off without him. But I'm not the Vice Delegate. I don't have the power or the authority to reject his application for anything other than: a missing or incomplete oath or application, or by listing a nation not in TNP or one that doesn't exist. That's the extent of my ability to deny an application, beyond rejecting applications that fail the Vice Delegates or Admin Checks. However the law states that should an application not be processed within 14 days, the applicant automatically becomes a citizen. As I view an affirmative Speakers Check as an endorsement of an applicant to be a citizen in good standing, I can not allow the Office to endorse someone who would act to exclude, deride or diminish people for their sexuality or other innate characteristics.
At (time=1605495060) Wonderess will become a citizen. Until otherwise directed, I will be carrying out the rest of my duties with the same dedication I have shown since entering the Office.
B.1
Hey-o - here comes a schedule for checks, in place from Monday:
MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Robespierre and MadJack (lead)Robespierre (lead) and MadJackRobespierre (lead) and MadJackBobberino (lead) and MadJackMadJack (lead) and Lady Raven WingBobberino and Comfed (lead)Lady Raven Wing (lead) and Comfed
B.2
The contents of the linked thread, beginning from the linked post to present (or to the next General election, should this trial run that long):

The following are various quotes of the Defendant from the regional Discord. As these are offsite, they will require witness authentication, for which I have asked (and they accepted) @9003 to testify to such. As Defense has indicated a desire to have a deposition for all witness testimony, I will skip having them submit a statement and ask the Court begin a deposition on such as soon as reasonably possible.

C.1
MadJack
11/02/2020

C.2
MadJack
11/02/2020

Vivanco

I don't know anymore.
-
-
-
The following are various quotes of the Defendant from the regional Discord. As these are offsite, they will require witness authentication, for which I have asked (and they accepted) @9003 to testify to such. As Defense has indicated a desire to have a deposition for all witness testimony, I will skip having them submit a statement and ask the Court begin a deposition on such as soon as reasonably possible.
A Deposition has been open.