[Proposal] Leviathan

Polihy

Registered
Ok... so hear me out.
The Leviathan, in Polihian mythology, is a divine protector of Polihy. It's a huge, underwater creature akin to a kraken. Of course, This seems crazy, as an ancient, omnipotent predator seems rather overpowered, but It only comes to Polihy's aid in times of really great need. So i won't go sending it out after people, and the populace (including government) doesn't know that it truly exists. So I'm saying, that because my nation has much, much smaller military than some out there, it could come and chase them away or something. I don't know. This was just an idea. I thought it might put in some awe and majesty into eras, because a benevolent monster that lives in the unexplored deeps seems pretty cool to me. Thanks for reading through this, conclave :)

Hello!

It is certainly an interesting idea and would give flavour to your nation.

I might have said this in the Discord chat, but I think that such a creature is too overpowered to exist in Eras reality, considering that the description is "omnipotent". It would also make Polihy virtually impregnable militarily (ie. it cannot be defeated militarily, it cannot be conquered) and would make the country overpowered.

My suggestion is to go the "mythical" route. There is the belief of the Leviathan as a protector of the country, but it doesn't exist in Eras reality. It's just a myth, that people believe such a creature protected them in the past from invasions. Maybe the huge waves that sank away a horde of pirate ships was attributed to Leviathan eating them. Maybe the storm that sank invading ships from another country was attributed to Leviathan conjuring up a storm with his tail. Leviathan doesn't really exist, but was used in order to "explain" the miraculous ways as to how Polihy escaped naval invasions. The closest RL parallel would be Namazu or Ōnamazu, a giant catfish lurking beneath Japan that causes earthquakes. Another parallel is the belief that the Virgin Mary helped the Holy League (including Spain) defeat the Ottomans at the Battle of Lepanto in 1571 and helped the Spaniards repel a Dutch invasion of the Philippines in 1646.

I think there is another suggestion that the Leviathan may exist, but not as a humongous sea creature as described. IRL, the kraken legend itself was probably based from sightings of giant squids, which got misinterpreted/exaggerated by sailors. This is what I call a "semi-mythical" route, in which the creature that served as the basis "Leviathan" do exist in Eras reality - but they are giant squids which are incapable of being "omnipotent" or swallowing ships. And then the miraculous ways as to how Polihy escaped naval invasions were attributed to these creatures.

Note that this is just my opinion/suggestions. I hope it helps. :) Happy worldbuilding!

Last edited:
Kyle, I forgot to mention it attacks Polihy too. Like it eats stray fishing boats and lives in a protected habitat.

Last edited:
Kyle, I forgot to mention it attacks Polihy too. Like it eats stray fishing boats and lives in a protected habitat.
This actually makes it more... uh, problematic, since it will impede communication between Polihy and the rest of the world.

Even when we say that it lives in a "protected habitat", what is to prevent it from venturing out and attacking other ships in the open sea, or attacking other countries?

Nothing. It just lives there. And Polih'ys citizens leave from the opposite side of it, or leave by going North to the uninhabited part of Polihy
it doesn't really move. It's more like a volcano. Who knows when it'll stir? I suppose it's hibernating, deep in a ocean trench

Nothing. It just lives there. And Polih'ys citizens leave from the opposite side of it, or leave by going North to the uninhabited part of Polihy
it doesn't really move. It's more like a volcano. Who knows when it'll stir? I suppose it's hibernating, deep in a ocean trench.
It not moving doesn't really jive with its supposed powers of bring able to protect the nation, and eat ships. :) Predators lurk, but they are not immobile. Filter feeders can be immobile, but not a ferocious predator as described. Either way, I think such a creature as described is still OP, even if you nerf it by also attacking Polihy or making it stationary in one area only.

Why would it come to the aid Polihy?
Why does it attack Polihy?
How would it be omnipotent?
If no one knows it exists why have it?
Having a smaller military is a weak justification.
Why has no one killed it if it's real?
How does it sustain itself? Are there more?
Do you want it to be mysterious? Do you want it to have an active role?
What do you want exactly from this inclusion?
Having awe inspiring things is fun to be sure, but you need to cover more bases. There are too many open questions.
This aint a denial. I'm just pushing for answers is all.

Why would it come to the aid Polihy?
Why does it attack Polihy?
How would it be omnipotent?
If no one knows it exists why have it?
Having a smaller military is a weak justification.
Why has no one killed it if it's real?
How does it sustain itself? Are there more?
Do you want it to be mysterious? Do you want it to have an active role?
What do you want exactly from this inclusion?
Having awe inspiring things is fun to be sure, but you need to cover more bases. There are too many open questions.
This aint a denial. I'm just pushing for answers is all.
1. Because Polihy practically worships it after it inadvertedly saved them from invaders.
2. Because Polihy (citizens of) use boats around its lair, (or where it is assumed to be) and it eat them.
3. It's not. What I meant was that Leviathan>any other animal
4. I dunno. I thought it would be pretty cool. A big part of why Polihy is that they don't think they need a large military because the Leviathan with save them.
5. Sorry. Also because I just think HUGE sea monsters are pretty cool. Maybe it doesn't just live near Polihy.
6. It's like someone going off to kill the moon. No one thinks it's possible, and on another note, not much people think it EXISTS.
7. I think it would feed off hydrothermal vents (passively), and eat just about anything because it can, like a goat. 7a. Probably not, but I'll leave that to you
8. Mysterious, definitely
9. Yeah I was a little excited at first. Consider this an additive.

mod edit-

Hello. You were directed to the Conclave subforum for your own proposal. It was not an invitation to post in other Conclave threads. This thread is only for Conclave team members and Polihy.
-Prydania

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does it need to protect the island?
We can't have organisms that are so powerful. Sure it can be a danger. But ultimately it's still an animal.
People either gotta believe it exists or not. Mythical or otherwise.
Just a reminder as such. Eras is in the modern era. A beast like this would be obviously a big deal historically, but as time marches on so does understanding.

Back