Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmosplosion

the ceo of antifa
ga.jpg

On The Health And Financial Well Being Of Workers
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Labour Rights
Proposed by: Cosmosplosion | Onsite Topic

Acknowledging the importance of workers throughout the universes and the success of worker-related resolutions in the past,
Assessing the situation and understanding that while we have made great progress on the area of workers’ rights, there is still more to be done,
Furthermore, while this Assembly has done a great deal of work in relation to contagious disease, workers are often neglected when discussing health,
Recognizing that in some instances, workers who have contracted an infectious disease will return to their workplace, due to financial needs and societal expectations,
Supporting workers in their life experiences, such as the arrival of offspring or death of family members and believing workers should be allowed to celebrate, grieve, and grow closer to others,
Hereby,
Defines “reasonable work leave”, for the purposes of this resolution, as a specified time period that an individual is not required to attend work in the event they are at risk of spreading a contagious disease knowingly, a family member experiences a medical or life-ending event, or they or their significant other produces offspring, while receiving compensation equal to their expected wage during this time period,
Mandates that all workers receive reasonable work leave in the amount of one-eigth of all expected work periods within the typical fiscal period,
Further mandates that employers, including government agencies, may not retaliate against workers for use of reasonable work leave.

Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.

Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

Last edited:
This proposal aims to establish leave for workers in the event they become sick, have a family medical emergency, or if they have children. These types of events in a person’s life are very important for them to attend to, regardless of work obligations. On top of that, in the event they are sick, it would be wise to provide some sort of program that allows them to stay home and prevent the spread of the disease. Further, workers will receive identical compensation as they would have had they been at work, easing financial stress undertaken by not attending work. Creating an umbrella program for each of these, allowing greater flexibility for workers, is the best course of action.

For these reasons, the Ministry recommends a vote FOR this proposal.

Last edited:
This is very well written and covers an important void in the current legislation of worker's rights.

For

This is terribly written.

In essence, the proposal would provide for paid leave in certain circumstances. The maximum duration of the leave is "one-eigth [sic] of all expected work periods within the typical fiscal period", i.e. about 6.5 weeks a year. Leave is provided in cases:

(1) The worker Is at risk of spreading an infectious disease;
(2) Their family member "experiences a medical or life-ending event';
(3) They have become a parent.

The first case does not cover periods of sickness where the worker is not at risk of spreading an infectious disease. Any sort of medical ailment that is not infectious would not lead to an entitlement for leave.

The second case is incredibly vague. What is a 'family member'? What kinds of medical events are covered? Why is this much broader than events relating to the worker's own health?

Finally, while paid parental leave is of course welcome, merely having 6.5 weeks of it is completely inadequate. Setting such a low standard in WA law seems quite problematic.

For.

Given the extension of worker rights that have been adopted in the past, it is unnatural and hard to grasp that the rights within the resolution have not been adopted earlier. As such the nation of THE Kenefche stands behind the position that the uniform standards must be adopted as soon as possible.

I have been convinced that there are some unintended consequences here, and more time in the oven would have avoided them. Regrettably I have to switch my vote here so that this can be revised and done better. We still have time to turn this vote around.

Against

I would like to wholeheartedly agree with Pallaith on this matter. As the author of this resolution, I offer this;
It has been correctly pointed out to me three fatal flaws with On The Health And Financial Well-being Of Workers that, in my opinion, while still doing some to improve the rights of workers', also make it ineffective in other ways.

First, creating an umbrella program for sick leave, family medical leave, and maternity/paternity leave was a mistake. Those should all be separated, and more specifically a higher amount of maternity/paternity leave should be granted.

Further, the current version doesn't mandate a minimum amount, but instead an exact amount, of time off of work.

And finally, the failure to include nonsalaried/commission/freelance based work is not acceptable. These workers also deserve protections in this case. It is for these reasons, I recommend casting your vote AGAINST "On The Health And Financial Well-being Of Workers.

AGAINST

Changing vote to Against

Last edited:
While I applaud the intent of the resolution and would otherwise hesitate to let perfect be the enemy of good, per the author's wish I cast my vote against.

Last edited:
Don't see why you wouldn't just petition @mcmasterdonia directly to ask for their vote against if you agreed with the assessment that highlighted problems with your resolution. The delegate can vote in the opposite direction as long as they provide a reason, and "the author asked me to shoot it down" seems like a good enough reason to do it.

Against

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back