Pronouns
He/Him/His
TNP Nation
Kaschovia
Discord
kaschovia

Regulations on Commercial Spaceflights
Category: Advancement of Industry | Proposed by: Kaschovia

Aware of the ever growing commercial spaceflight industries in many WA member states,

Also aware there are people and organisations that are technologically and financially capable of operating within the sector of commercial spaceflight tourism through reusable rockets,

Alarmed at the lack of regulation, given the intricacy and risk to life of spaceflight, especially where untrained passenger clientele are involved, currently surrounding this area of commerce,

Without limiting the promising growth of reusable spaceflight operations and resources in the advancement of safe, sustainable ventures into space,

The World Assembly HEREBY,

Defines commercial spaceflight activity as any action taken by a person or organisation to conduct space travel for profit, which may or may not involve passengers,

Requires all commercial spaceflight activity under any member nation's jurisdiction be for peaceful purposes only,

Establishes the World Assembly Commercial Spaceflight Safety Committee (CSSM), which shall:
  1. Determine the minimum safety requirements for the conduction of commercial spaceflight.
  2. Develop an applications process for a Commercial Spaceflight License to conduct spaceflights, issue that license to and keep a record of all successful applicants.
  3. Establish an action protocol for any and all emergencies that might occur during spaceflight, covering ground-to-space communications, emergency reentry and landing procedures, and passenger safety.
  4. Research safer and more efficient ways of conducting spaceflights, the information from which is to be publicly shared with and used by member states.
  5. Liase with the International Aero-Space Administration on matters of mutual interest such as commercial spaceflight cooperation.
Prohibits any person or organization from conducting commercial spaceflight activities without a Commercial Spaceflight License issued by the CSSM,

Mandates that member states must maintain a register of commercial spaceflights to be conducted within their borders, to be shared with the CSSM in conjunction with the internal committee register,

Confirms the right of member states to prohibit commercial space activity within their borders,

Urges member states to, even if in opposition to the advancement of the space industry, become more aware of and familiar with the regular space activities of other nations, to avoid public panic, misidentification of flying objects by foreign militaries, or fear-driven action against sanctioned space activity.

Might want to check this and see how it applies or can be expanded - https://www.nationstates.net/page=WA_past_resolution/id=34/council=1
I notice that this resolution focuses on international transport, so, the travel between different countries, rather than space travel, and approaches it from a 'trade between countries' angle, which is why I would think that the category for this is free trade and not advancement of industry. It focuses more on the trade perspective, rather than the commercial.

But yes, I do think that my proposed resolution extends the core aims of GAR 34 to commercial space travel, although I don't necessarily think that the two resolutions as it stands are closely related in subject or content. My resolution aims to provide the groundwork for sustainable, safe, private ventures into space for the future, while also ensuring that the safety of spaceflight passengers is ensured and approved by an external committee.

Thanks for the feedback, Tlomz! The gameside hasn't been too eager to comment on the draft thus far, but every little helps. Let me know if you have any more thoughts.

Will respond more in detail, but just be wary... Gameside doesn't take too kindly to space legislation as there have been pretty bad proposals in the past which have made it far.

Will respond more in detail, but just be wary... Gameside doesn't take too kindly to space legislation as there have been pretty bad proposals in the past which have made it far.
I've had a look at some of the previous drafts with the keyword 'spaceflight'. Most of them date back to late 2018, so I'm sure they can put up with one space resolution for the year since then :P

Back