[Proposal] North and South Hemispheres

Esplandia

Factbook Addict
-
TNP Nation
Esplandia
Discord
esplandia
Thanks to the work of the cartography staff we now have a complete map of the whole of Eras. New continental landmasses were added and the map was expanded to a size that now represents a whole planet. We can now draw a line across the center of it to represent the equator of the planet.

And with the existence of an equator comes the existence of northern and southern hemispheres. As in real life this would result in summer and winter being during opposite times of the year for each hemisphere. Since Eras has seasons already, I’m assuming that there is an axial tilt like earth. I’m not an expert on the subject, so I wouldn’t be able to figure out all the exact details and numbers. The point of this proposal is to make the difference in seasons between the two hemispheres be ruled on as canon.

As per current precedent, RPers would still be able to dictate their own climates, as this would only affect the seasons. People’s chosen climates for their nation to inhabit would not be affected by this proposal. So, when it’s summer in the northern hemisphere, it would be winter in the southern, and vice versa.

I know that this will likely upset some RPers who have nations in the south, but I believe this will be important for creating a richer, more realistic, RP world.

I will grant you that it will increase realism, but I think it's rather pointless, and that its cons outweigh its pros.

I think the same principle applies here, in a way, that was applied in the Christianity ruling. Realistically? Messianism and numerous other concepts inspired by real-world things would not exist in Eras; or at the very least would be significantly different; but these concepts exist because to not include them would likely be detrimental to community participation. I think that implementing a hemispheric seasonal difference has more drawbacks than benefits.

Can you imagine a holiday season where half of the Eras RPers would have to, broadly speaking, have their nations be in summer? I think you're right that it could upset RPers in the south- and I think that should be considered over going for optimal realism concerning the seasons. Considering the presence of the fantastical components embedded into the Eras setting, the seasons being the same regardless of hemispheres, I think, could easily be explained in a related way, if they even need to be explained.

Yalk is right: has this come up in RP? I don't think it's really even necessary to get into the topic of hemispheric seasonal differences, unless it directly affects someone's RP in a bad way; and at the moment I don't think that's happened. If you have an example, though, I'd of course be interested in seeing it.

I will grant you that it will increase realism, but I think it's rather pointless, and that its cons outweigh its pros.

I think the same principle applies here, in a way, that was applied in the Christianity ruling. Realistically? Messianism and numerous other concepts inspired by real-world things would not exist in Eras; or at the very least would be significantly different; but these concepts exist because to not include them would likely be detrimental to community participation. I think that implementing a hemispheric seasonal difference has more drawbacks than benefits.

Can you imagine a holiday season where half of the Eras RPers would have to, broadly speaking, have their nations be in summer? I think you're right that it could upset RPers in the south- and I think that should be considered over going for optimal realism concerning the seasons. Considering the presence of the fantastical components embedded into the Eras setting, the seasons being the same regardless of hemispheres, I think, could easily be explained in a related way, if they even need to be explained.

Yalk is right: has this come up in RP? I don't think it's really even necessary to get into the topic of hemispheric seasonal differences, unless it directly affects someone's RP in a bad way; and at the moment I don't think that's happened. If you have an example, though, I'd of course be interested in seeing it.
Okay so I didn't really care about this issue this much until people started to be super stick in mud about this, so here are my thoughts.

1) I personally find this ruling to be inconsequential, so let's get this done asap. Effects literally no one's RP, and after all we are here for creative writing.
2) This only makes things more realistic. Seasons can't exist without a tilt, therefore we should adopt the real world model if we want seasons at all.
3) RP isn't linear Syr, they can do whatever they want. Moreover, is it really the end of the world to have a sunny Christmas? Could be an interesting concept to RP. Moreover, there are some portions of the world that snows in the summer so either way. No effect.
4) I don't see how this harms existing canon. I'll likely support this proposal, but if it will end this debate sooner rather than waste our time on something that isn't nearly as important as the tech group, I will vote with the majority.

if it will end this debate sooner rather than waste our time on something that isn't nearly as important as the tech group, I will vote with the majority.
I have yet to see anything come from the tech groups.

Back