Criminalising Espionage in Our Partner Regions

Discussion in 'Regional Assembly' started by St George, May 3, 2019.

1. St George

St George Culture Doggo - - -

I'm debating removing lines 9 and 10 entirely just to lessen the load on the Speaker, but other than that, I think this is ready to go - we should be criminalising commiting espionage in all our treaty partners, regardless of whom the espionage is undertaken for, if they're a citizen here, they shouldn't be doing it against our treaty partners.

2. Crushing Our Enemies

Crushing Our Enemies TNPer - - - - -

Discord:
    COE#7110
    I agree that we should generally prohibit spying on our allies. However, I think a bill of this nature also needs to take steps to clarify who our allies are. For instance, you've included The Rejected Realms on that list - presumably because we have a non-aggression pact with them. The intention of that document was not to consider them a treaty ally, and thus they are not on the list of regions that it is a crime to commit treason against. This bill would create an inconsistency there, as it currently stands.

I think the ability to negotiate multiple levels of diplomatic documents is important. We should be able to have a formal relationship with a region without considering them an ally, and thus criminalizing treason and espionage against their governments. This is a vagueness in our law, and I think we should take steps to clarify it, rather than double down on the vagueness.

In short, I agree with the spirit of this bill, but the execution needs more consideration.

3. Scottie

Scottie TNPer -

I agree with COE, maybe it could be worded with something along the lines of "treaty allies"? Allowing us to define our allies, I would also not include the list tbh, just have a definition and people can upkeep a list elsewhere.

4. Dinoium

Dinoium #WeBelieveWussie - - - -

TNP Nation:
    Dinoium
    Discord:
    Dino#1700
    As a note, this of course as the title of the spoiler says, is a suggested new draft for this resolution. This is what I think should be included/excluded. As a note, I used organization instead of group due to the fact that organization is a more universal term in NationStates and an organization could simply be defined as an alliance or organized grouping such as Antifa, UDL, etc. I also decided to remove the non aggressive pacted regions. Of course, credits to MadJack for proposing the orginial draft I used to base off above. :P

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  5. King SillyString

King SillyString TNPer - - - -

The phrasing of "group" instead of "organization" includes sharing with *non-organized* groups and is, therefore, desirable.

For example, espionage includes leaking information from the Cabinet to the public, or from the Court to a private backroom unofficial server. Your suggestion would exclude both of those.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  6. Dinoium

Dinoium #WeBelieveWussie - - - -

TNP Nation:
    Dinoium
    Discord:
    Dino#1700
    I guess that would make sense. I'll remove that from my suggestive draft.

7. St George

I note the suggestions and will be updating the bill in the coming days.

8. Dreadton

Dreadton Deputy Speaker Deputy Speaker -

@St George Will you be moving forward with a new draft?

9. St George

Not whilst I lack voting rights. I fully intend to come back to this once I have served my sentence.