[Closed] 2019 Omoxoje Summit

Discussion in 'Negotiations' started by Proxy of Demescia, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Haor Chall

Haor Chall The Power of the Dark Side -

TNP Nation:
    Haor Chall
    "It may surprise some", Dardanus began cautiously, "but Haor Chall supports the idea of a human rights charter. However. It must clearly recognise the cultural and social differences across Meterra particularly - and beyond, if it is to apply to third-party members also. There are many different systems of government across those represented here, all of which are entirely legitimate and should be respected by META. The people of Haor Chall have extensive civil liberties, some of which I know are not shared by other states here, but equally our political system is... ah... less extensive than others. Much as I would not expect to push some of the rights our people have onto other nations which have a different social perspective, we are not willing to see a charter which would challenge our system of government. Any human rights charter should accordingly reflect what our considered minimum standard is. I also think we should focus on economic rights, both as fits the nature of our organisation and as the areas where we are most likely to be aligned, or willing to become so."

"To start with, we concur wholeheartedly that forced labour is abhorrent, which I expect we can all agree on. Did Demescia have a proposal for what else the charter should cover?"

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  2. Proxy of Demescia

Proxy of Demescia TNPer

“The prohibition of slavery is an obvious one, as you’ve said,” Kayode replied. “We should also focus on equal protections under the law, the prohibition of torture, rights to privacy, rights to freedom of movement…I can go on and on.

“As you said before, geo-economics inherently mixes the economic with the political. I concede that if we succeed in the realm of economics, we must also succeed in the realm of politics, which is why we need some like a human rights charter to interact with that realm. Hopefully, these areas of rights aren’t shocking.”

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  3. Mouxordia

Mouxordia TNPer

Boris listened with intent as the topic of discussion changed to - he presumed - something more favorable amongst all of the delegates gathered around the conference table.

"The Republic, although it doesn't practice - nor do I suspect will it ever - torture, doesn't believe it to be within META's jurisdiction to control, as the respectable Gospodin Dardanus said, to impose upon or change the culture of the nations that reside within. We must be specific when designing this proposed Rights Charter; for example, on the matter of torture, I would suggest making clear that the production of goods or services by individuals or entities under duress or coercion, with the purpose of being introduced at any point into META markets, be expressly prohibited - not, necessarily the use of coercion or duress in order to achieve ends met by, say, intelligence agencies, military, or even police forces.

"The more specific we can be when crafting this piece of legislature, the better," he rounded out, his baritone voice maintaining a calm and even pitch, "I think the establishment of Secretariats for the Association would be in the best interest of everyone here in order to more speedily deal with matters such as these. There are simply too many matters and a plethora of minutiae inside each of the matters for us alone to be able to hash out. Everything from license plates, trade regulations, ports of entry, travel across borders, currency standardization, could and would be much better handled - and at the expense of far less time caught in regulatory and administrative Hell - if there were sub-departments, Secretariats, or whatever we want to call them in order to decide these matters."

Boris did not want to shirk his responsibilities - he had no intention of doing that - but the group of them would honestly be here for decades deciding every last detail in everything if they had to do it personally. They couldn't and wouldn't be able to get through the problems fast enough; everything would bottleneck at them, nothing would get done, and META would fall apart merely as a loosely-regulated idea instead of a well-oiled and high-horsepower machine.

4. Proxy of Demescia

Proxy of Demescia TNPer

"I don't think things as basic as equal protections under the law and abolition would be topics of much contention.”

“I do, however, understand your point that we should be sure to tailor to the collective interests of the nations represented in this Association. Radically offsetting the political systems of our members is not a prudent outcome, especially with a political climate as diverse as ours. We could just take it one step at a time, establishing a few standards of the rights charter and letting a committee amend them from there.

“Speaking of committees, you also make a really good point about the benefit of secretariats. Though I don’t want us to get off-topic with this discussion, I do want to note that we indeed can establish a committee to handle and maintain a human rights charter and human rights disputes within the Association. However, that would entail talks about the structure and scope of the committee, which we can discuss after we’ve gotten our basic standards out of the way.”

5. bootsie

bootsie TNPer - - - -

Koizumi listened as the organization agreed to admit McMasterdonia as soon as it could. This was all going according to plan. Now, she thought, it was time to focus on the matters at hand.

“Guslantis is one of the most diverse and accepting nations in the world. My government and the organizations based in my nation comply with very strict, but very fair rules on how they treat citizens, residents, immigrants, and customers,” she began.

“For example, at Thomas we believe privacy is a fundamental human right. Every Thomas product is designed from the ground up to protect the information of our customers and to empower them to choose what they share and with whom. We are also committed to making sure all labor is legal, humane, and fair to those who are building our glorious future,” she continued.

“In short, Guslantis would be in favor of a charter that not only sets an example of human rights, but ensures the enforcement of these rights to Meterran citizens,” she said before sitting down.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    Yrkidding likes this.
  6. Proxy of Demescia

Proxy of Demescia TNPer

“I'm glad we can agree on at least one standard of rights. The use of forced labour is deplorable and has no place in the Association. Are there any others we can agree on, like in regards to discrimination or torture?”

7. bootsie

bootsie TNPer - - - -

“Likewise, Guslantis is against all forms of discrimination, whether that be on account of gender, race, sexual preference/orientation, or age, to name a few. In regards to torture, that is not something we endorse nor practice. The only issue I see is how we enforce a ban on torture. Usually these are done by agencies or organizations out of the public eye. What happens if years pass and then we learn a nation has committed torture? More importantly, what happens if we learn information that one of our member nations is committing acts of war and that information was collected via torture?”

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 7:12 PM
  8. Proxy of Demescia

Proxy of Demescia TNPer

“That would likely depend on severity and the opinion of our members. The case may end in suspension or even an expulsion if it comes to that, but ultimately it depends on a vote and the mood those who decide. The Treaty draft will go even more in-depth regards such a matter, as it sets up a secretariat that handles trade disputes and the like.”

9. Haor Chall

Haor Chall The Power of the Dark Side -

TNP Nation:
    Haor Chall
    "I think we are some distance away from META enforcing any charter within member nations," Dardanus began slowly. "Certainly I can see that being problematic domestically for some nations. I think, at present, the only enforcement we should be considering is suspension or expulsion, in the event that serious breaches were to come to light. It is then the responsibility of member nationstates to comply with the charter in good faith, not something for META to be acting as some kind of international policeman. It should be an aspirational document for us all, not something of procedural minutiae for some new META bureaucracy to execute."

"In terms of further agreeable rights, I would like to see a focus on economic rights - the right to property for example. Other rights will have to be defined carefully. Whilst I appreciate Governor Koizumi's frequent advertisements for Thomas," he said dryly, "there is a difference between the rules we would expect corporate entities to comply with and government. Whilst I would agree with some form of right of privacy, clearly this has limitations - all of our nations have both internal and external security organisations which, to a lesser or great extent, these will impinge on individuals privacy rights. I don't want to get into a debate on the specifics of that, I simply raise it as an example of where these rights will need to be carefully defined."

"Accordingly, I am minded to agree with Mr Poklonskaja. I think we can confirm the broad concept today, but then allow sometime for the Secretariat to setup a committee with all member nations represented to work through the detail and come up with a proposal for us to agree at a future date. I suspect that it will need some tweaking, but I think that is probably the best route to achieving a Charter which all of us will be able to ratify. I appreciate that you may have been looking to achieve more today but I think that is the best option, assuming we reach agreement on what and how the Secretariat will operate.

"Will that be sufficient for you today? I think we can generate a good headline from it, agreement to establish a human rights charter and with some key fundamentals set out - detail to be worked out in committee - is a good announcement for META to be able to make."

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 4:13 PM
  10. Proxy of Demescia

Proxy of Demescia TNPer

Kayode sighed, massaging her forehead: “Very well. I suppose a committee should elaborate on the few fundamental rights we’ve agreed on.”

“Now it’s a matter of how this committee should be set up, as well as other committees like the standards committee created in the Charter. I believe it was Article 4: ‘the signatories shall establish a Committee tasked with thinking of common sense standardisations leading to better and more effective practices across multiple sectors.’ I and many other Demescians, since hailing from a republic, would prefer a parliamentary or democratic approach to the committee. Perhaps META citizens could participate in elections to appoint delegates to decide legislative on economic issues. Us plenipotentiaries, meanwhile, could fulfill a more executive role in running the organization.”