[Ascheron] Sierra Rising: The L.A. Campaign

Loz

TNPer
-
Abbreviations Explained at the Bottom.

FOB Beverly, LA Outskirts: 3 Hours until Step off

Alex warmed his hands around the burn barrel, he wasn't particularly cold but it took his mind off the invasion. He had spent the last three months memorizing old city maps, and planning routes and contingencies for his transport company. If they were to be successful they needed to be decisive and accurate on all objectives.

"Excuse me Captain Wesson, 1st Sergeant was looking for you Sir." Said a private Alex didn't recognize.

"Thank you troop, where's he at?" Alex said returning the man's salute.

"He's up at the Battalion TOC Sir."

"Appreciate it, how ya holding up Private?" Alex asked.

"I'm nervous Sir." The private said through a nervous laugh.

"Keep your head up and you helmet on and you'll be alright." Alex said sincerely clasping the private on the shoulder.

"I will Sir, I won't let you down."

"Good, now head back to your squad and get ready."

"Yes Sir!"

1st BCT BSB TOC, FOB Beverly: 2.5 Hours until Step off

"There you are Sir!" Said 1SG Limint. "Lieutenant Colonel Bruchet wants to see all the CO's."

"Roger, how's the Company John?" Alex asked.

"They're ready. The PLs and PSGs have been hammering home the plan and the tactical rehearsals went off without a hitch."

"That's good, remind the Platoon Leaders that the enemy gets a vote in that plan too. Adaptability will be the make or break on this one."

"Will do Sir, you'd better get inside the TOC before the boss has a fit."

"Right"

1st BCT BSB TOC, FOB Beverly: 2 Hours until Step off

"There you are Alex." LTC Bruchet said.

"Sir." Said Alex with a nod.

"Alright now that we're all here I want to talk through this one more time. Alex, walk us through A CO on the map."

"Yes Sir. Trans Company will be moving troop and supply convoys to the designated breach points at these two intersections. We'll primarily be moving troops from first Battalion. All our vehicles have been uparmored and I've got every mounted weapon I could barrow beg or steal ready to go."

"Where are you going to be?" Asked the LTC.

"I'll be with 1st and 2nd Platoons along route Alpha, 1SG Limint will be with 3rd and 4th along route Bravo."

"Sounds good. James, talk to me about B CO." said the LTC.

"Yes Sir,..."

As the other Company Commanders gave their walk through Alex zoned in on his routes along the maps. The streets were wide enough to fit two gun trucks assuming the raiders hadn't done everything in their power to block the roads. He also had to put faith in 3 Battalion's ability to open the breach routes. It was a gamble, but it was now or never for the Invasion of L.A. If they could do this the Army of Sierra would would have undisputed control over California. Maybe they could even settle down Alex wondered to himself.

FOB: forward Operating Base
TOC: Tactical Operation Center
CO: Company/Commanding Officer
BCT: Brigade Combat Team
BSB: Brigade Support Battalion

FOB Beverly, LA Outskirts: 5 minutes until Step off

Captain Alex Wesson stood on the running board of his command truck looking at the horizon. 3rd Battalion had kicked off the attack an hour ago, and it was almost time to SP his company. He looked up and down his convoy at the individual Truck Commanders, the NCOs and Lieutenants he would be relying on to ensure his Company, and the troops of the 1st Battalion they were transporting would survive.

Alex looked down at his watch, 3rd Battalion had sent no messages or signals, but it was time to go. He reached into his cab and grabbed his radio, "1SG time to roll." "Sounds good Sir, stay alive." He responded. Alex put the radio back in its clasp, knowing better than make a promise like that.

Turning his attention back to the convoy, Alex raised his hand with all fingers extended in the direction of first platoon, and then back to second platoon. The convoy roared to life as each driver was ordered to flip the ignition. Alex raised his hand again, and then pulled it quickly back into his body. With this, he and the other TCs entered their vehicles. Alex waited the final seconds before giving the last command. As the last precious moment passed he put his arm out the window and made three circular motions. "Roll Out."
LA Outskirts T+10 minutes

Checkpoint one was ten minutes out from the forward operating base and signaled the end of secure territory. As they rolled through the checkpoint Alex gave the order for weapon status red through the radio, and then tapped his own gunner on the thigh to let him know. The Machine Gun on the top the truck gave a satisfying thunk as its gunner primed the charging handle. Silently Alex was hoping that the 3rd Battalion Vanguard had been able to secure the route froward, but the lack of radio communications had him worried. As they rolled along they could see more and more sign of the battle that proceeded them, blasted out craters in the road, and burned bodies were never a good sign. Especially when you couldn't tell what side those charred corpses belonged too.

Roughly 15 minuted had passed since the convoy had passed through checkpoint one, and finally the rear element of 3rd Battalion came into view. What greeted the convoy was little more than a casualty collection point and a few tents with scattered security. As they rolled through CPT Wesson halted near one of the more established tents and waited for any sign of movement. After a few seconds a rough lokking man Alex knew to be Major Kenneth Dawry jogged out to meet them.

"Good morning Sir." Alex said giving a salute out his window. "Captain Wesson right?" Said the Major returning his salute. "This is all 1st Bat you're transporting right?" "Yes sir." Said Alex handing him the route map out the window. "LTC Montmard is following in the rear collumn. I'm trying to bring these boys up to the 3rd Bats forward line." Major Dawry looked over the route for a few minutes and said "I'll be straight with you Captain, I can't promise the Commander has the route from here to the line secured but he's going to need these men if that's ever going to become a possibility. From the last communication we received The Commander and the bulk of the main force have set up a defensive position here at this intersection. However I would highly recommended dismounting here at this this T street and proceeding as a combined arms force to make it to them." "Will do Sir." Said Alex marking down the streets on the map. "My 1SG and the second convoy should pass through here in about 20 minutes. I'll have leave some men here to fortify your position, and get the wounded back to Beverley." "Appreciate it, you stay alive now." Said Major Dawry. "Sir." Alex nodded.

The convoy rolled on to the T intersection the Major had marked on the map. Alex was weary to separate any of his elements, but he trusted Dawry's judgement. As the trucks halted Alex picked up the radio and gave the order to dismount and reorganize the column with most concentrated firepower forward.
Once. Dawry's advice turned out to be prudent, as the convoy took fire nearly immediately. The fire was mostly probing and scattered, but succeeded in slowing the movement down significantly. Every several minutes fire from a high rise, or around a corner would strike a truck, the convoy would stop and return, see no sign of movement and continue. This pattern continued for more than hour as the trucks, and dismounted infantrymen moved through the greater L.A. ruins until finally the Battalion defensive area was in sight.

As they rolled in Alex went straight to the 3rd Bat Commander to get the situation. He lifted the command post tent and looked for LTC Jericho, finding him engrossed in a pre-war map of L.A. in remarkably good condition. "Sir, Captain Alex Wesson here from the BSB with 1st Bat reinforcements." LTC Jericho stared at him for a minute before letting loose a sigh of relief. "Couldn't have made it here at a better time Captain. We've been stopped here for about an hour." "Did you take major contact Sir?" Alex asked. "We only encountered scattered resistance on our way here." "We took fire at the city outskirt, but then they just broke off and retreated into the city. They had bridges across the high rises and networks down in the sewers. Lost more than a few to manhole ambushes, and took down as many of the bridges as we could. Personally I think we're being baited further and further in on purpose." "Well Sir." Said Ale. "With this troops arrival, and the once on the way with the rest of my company we should be able to at the least fortify this position, and open the road back before considering forward movement." "I hope so said Jericho. Regardless the enemy is exploiting our initiative, and I'm not sure there is anything we can do about it." He stared back down at the map for several second before continuing. "Alex can you get your gun trucks on the avenues of approach an help me get this locked down?" "Yes Sir, when 1SG Limint gets here I'll have him do the same." "Perfect." Said Jericho. "Also once I get these radios up I'll let Bruchet know you made it." "Thank you Sir." Said Alex. "I'll get to it."

Last edited:
Back