Conclave Solar System Proposal - Questions and Discussion

Andrenne

bastard
Hello, this is the public discussion thread for this proposal, it was made so people can talk about the proposal or ask any questions they may have here while the Conclave or RP Moderators talk in the actual proposal thread. If you have ideas feel free to share them here as well but keep in mind there's no guarantee your idea will actually come to fruition.

In addition to this, please feel free to propose planet or moon names if you have any ideas, but keep in mind that we are attempting to keep all names related to Eras, and specifically we are looking for names that relate to Erasian mythological and/or religious figures- So we're not going to name a planet "Big Steve" or anything silly like that.

8hWfi3W.png

Like I said in Discord, planets 6, 8, and 11, as well as the star, ought to have their names changed, since Levantium is no longer around. I recommend using either Latin (Umbrial) Arabic (Kianese) or Samnadhi (Hindi) names as the inspiration for whatever replaces them.

I'd also recommend just calling Eras' moon "The Moon", officially, and allowing various cultures to assign it names that they can call it if they so choose.

EDIT: Also recommending we get rid of the umlaut in Hända. May be hard for some non-Nordic cultures to pronounce. Plus, it seems too favoritistic. I can tolerate Freya, but I think a word with an umlaut in it is stretching it.

Funny, cuz Hända is not a Gotic name.

The Real Life name for the moon is literally just "The Moon" so I can think we can leave it at that.

Hända is a Sango word, nothing to do with the norse at all.

My apologies, then - it seemed Nordic to me.

My complaint about the umlaut still stands, though- I don't think it's necessary, and it may not be easy for everyone to pronounce on the fly.

Like I said in Discord, planets 6, 8, and 11, as well as the star, ought to have their names changed, since Levantium is no longer around. I recommend using either Latin (Umbrial) Arabic (Kianese) or Samnadhi (Hindi) names as the inspiration for whatever replaces them.

I'd also recommend just calling Eras' moon "The Moon", officially, and allowing various cultures to assign it names that they can call it if they so choose.

EDIT: Also recommending we get rid of the umlaut in Hända. May be hard for some non-Nordic cultures to pronounce. Plus, it seems too favoritistic. I can tolerate Freya, but I think a word with an umlaut in it is stretching it.
Thanks for the ideas, we’ll certainly look them over- If you happen to have any specific name proposals this would also be appreciated.

As for Hända, to be a bit more specific, it’s actually a Naizerri trickster deity- appears as a gold and green Ibis usually. I know it seems Nordic, but the only Nordic names currently in use are Freya and one of the moons of Pontus, Loki. We will consider removing the umlaut.

It would be cool if Hända has an irregular orbit, like Pluto. It would be fitting of a planet named after a trickster god.

Or at the very least have it be on its side like Uranus.

Taking a name Sodium opined about? I’d like to suggest that the name Abaddon be used for one of the further planets out. Something in the Uranus/Neptune range perhaps.

Yihuddi Shaddaist theology could justify the name, and it would fit as a name for a planet that isn’t observable from Eras. The name is used to refer to an endless abyss in Hebrew mythology and therefore could have that meaning in Yihuddi Shaddaist mythology.

It would be a fitting name for a planet whose light isn’t visible from Eras with the naked eye or early telescopes. Perhaps one of the planets only discovered after the advent of advanced telescopes? Again, like Uranus or Neptune.

It would be cool if Hända has an irregular orbit, like Pluto. It would be fitting of a planet named after a trickster god.

Or at the very least have it be on its side like Uranus.
This is definitely another thing we'll look into, either this or something like Venus where it's whole rotation is backwards. Something like that.

Does anyone have the ethnology of the planet names? I’m wanting to help with the names.
Also it’s funny cause Hände is Ninhundish for hands. If you remove the umlaut the spelling would become Haenda.

Also it’s funny cause Hände is Ninhundish for hands. If you remove the umlaut the spelling would become Haenda.
That is immaterial, as this is not the source of the proposed name.

Does anyone have the ethnology of the planet names?
In terms of Eras? Abaddon refers to destruction or a bottomless pit or abyss. It would be derived from the Yihuddi word “abad,” which means “to perish.”

@MacSalterson I'm gonna be honest- I liked Dumah more. Ru-Yesham seems overly complicated. If we must keep it, I propose something like Yesham or Rusham or Ruyesh, etc etc.

Also, we really need to axe those Greek names. Like, Levantium's gone.

I suggest that we replace Apollyon with Oth (variations: Othr, Od, or Odr), the husband of Freya in norse mythology, so as to remove the greek name, would also lend to an interesting backstory regarding the names.

I suggest that we replace Apollyon with Oth (variations: Othr, Od, or Odr), the husband of Freya in norse mythology, so as to remove the greek name, would also lend to an interesting backstory regarding the names.

I like Othr the best of the ones you provided.

There’s also Odur which is the his name in South Gotic languages amongst other similar spellings. But yeah, it would make sense since we already have Freya, which is also where the word for Friday comes from.

I really hate to say this, but I'm gonna have to agree with Nin on this one- I think Odur sounds the best out of the pronunciations.

Oh, that also works. Thank goodness XP

EDIT: What about all the other Greek names, though?

Oh, that also works. Thank goodness XP

EDIT: What about all the other Greek names, though?
The remaining Greek names of Maia, Demeter, and Dionysus still need to be replaced- Though Maia also appears in Roman mythology, and we have a few Roman analogues on Eras so we could keep Maia if people are in favor of it. Demeter and Dionysus could also be replaced by their Roman counterparts, Ceres and Bacchus respectively, though I would like to drop Demeter all together because in it's Greek form I just don't think it sounds good, and in it's Roman form we'd be taking an already existing dwarf planet's name.

Never had a problem with Maia, really. I like Ceres as well. Bacchus just kinda rubs me the wrong way- it sounds odd to me. That may just be because Bacchus itself is very recognizable. I'll wait to see what others think of it.

@Andrenne I came up with two names we could use to replace Dionysus and Demeter- Shani and Aruna. They're of Samnadhi origin, edited to remove Suchari eccentricities.

As for the Sun's name, since Helios is also Greek, I recommend taking a peek at this list: http://www.mreclipse.com/Special/SElanguage.html

My personal favorite names on this list (in no particular order) are Surya (Hindi/Sanskrit), Shem/Shemesh (Hebrew), and Jua (Swahili).

One alternative you can use to replace Demeter and Dionysus are Farea (means hunting) and Miros (means wine).

I'd like to make a proposal that the major moons of Anakeo were discovered in 1910 by a Hightonian scientist. This was in a period of unrest in Highton where tensions were rising between Monarchists and Republicans. My suggestion is that the scientist, who supported the monarchy, discovered the moons and named them after monarchs of Highton.

Thoughts?

Franck
Alexander III
Thomas VI
Lucia
Sophia II

I'd like to make a proposal that the major moons of Anakeo were discovered in 1910 by a Hightonian scientist. This was in a period of unrest in Highton where tensions were rising between Monarchists and Republicans. My suggestion is that the scientist, who supported the monarchy, discovered the moons and named them after monarchs of Highton.

Thoughts?

Franck
Alexander III
Thomas VI
Lucia
Sophia II
It’s an interesting proposition, however it’d be preferred to stick with the mythological themes if possible. Anakeo was a Kensu/Skandan demigod (Kensu is a native religion of Skanda), so it’s moons being named after Hightonian monarchs doesn’t really make much sense, at least in my opinion.

I recommend, Tiras to be a name for one of the planets. Tiras comes from the Proto-Gotic “tiwaz”, the god of war. It’s the Gotic equivalent to the Mars and would work great for a rocky planet that’s close to Eras.

I recommend, Tiras to be a name for one of the planets. Tiras comes from the Proto-Gotic “tiwaz”, the god of war. It’s the Gotic equivalent to the Mars and would work great for a rocky planet that’s close to Eras.
Mars is called such because it is red. We are not creating a replica of real life. So unless there is a red planet that suggestion wouldn’t make any sense.

By the way, side note- I recommend that whatever we decide here just becomes the names of the planets in Mercanti; though obviously names derived from certain cultures can also be used by those cultures.

And no, this isn't just a "we can choose for our cultures" thing- this has precedent IRL. For example, India has completely different names for the planets.

Also, another side note- we should have an International Astronomical Association; and it should have been established in the past.

Mind you this isn't the subject of this discussion but please do not say something is a Proto-Gotic god, because you do not have sole domain over Proto-Gotic deities or religion. Anyways, yes, Mars is named after the Roman God of War, Mars, because it's red. There is no red, rocky planet in the current model being proposed so it's not really a fitting name anyways.
By the way, side note- I recommend that whatever we decide here just becomes the names of the planets in Mercanti; though obviously names derived from certain cultures can also be used by those cultures.

And no, this isn't just a "we can choose for our cultures" thing- this has precedent IRL. For example, India has completely different names for the planets.

Also, another side note- we should have an International Astronomical Association; and it should have been established in the past.
Now I'm not the whole Conclave so I can't say this with certainty but I would assume that these are going to be the Mercanti names. To your later idea, an International Astronomical Association would be cool, in my opinion, but I think it'd have to be watched over by either RP Mods or Conclave to avoid people saying that they discovered a new planet or anything silly like that.

By chance do these come from any sort of mythological figures in Merilia or their pagan(?) religion?

Alas no, they draw inspiration from the same source that I used to create many elements of my nation in its current incarnation. I just liked the names in particular.

Alas no, they draw inspiration from the same source that I used to create many elements of my nation in its current incarnation. I just liked the names in particular.
The theme for planet names has already been stated to be demigods or deities. If they aren't either in your nation's mythology, I'm gonna ixnay them as options.

Two names for your consideration, to be applied at your discretion should you approve:

Borgas - Vallish pagan god of time, king of the gods

Rudra - early Rakanist god of the sky and thunder, also king of the gods

If we’re allowed to just submit names

Wolkes
Himdal
Schlachten
Berkow

There could be used for any unnamed moons
If you actually read the requirements for names, which I am beginning to doubt many people actually read, you would know you can't just submit names. For the fourth time in this thread, Andy and I have had to state that the requirements for planetary and moon names are for mythological and religious figures from Erasian cultures and history. And once again for the people who are either slow or in the back.

If your suggestions for the names of planets or moons are not figures in the mythology or religion of an Erasian culture, they will be disregarded. Future suggestions for names not resulting from these sources will mean I disregard *all* of the offending person's suggestions for this proposal.

If you actually read the requirements for names, which I am beginning to doubt many people actually read, you would know you can't just submit names. For the fourth time in this thread, Andy and I have had to state that the requirements for planetary and moon names are for mythological and religious figures from Erasian cultures and history. And once again for the people who are either slow or in the back.

Some of these names are of mythological origin and either are based on directly from historical mythology.

Am I the only one who noticed that one of Nin's suggested names is literally Himdach with two letters removed and an L added?

Back