The Executive Accountability Act

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get on board with midterm address. End of terms tend to already shine a light on various executive activities by simple fact that elections are ongoing and candidates are already discussing the past term, with citizens questioning the candidates for more info.

There are multiple problems with requiring each Executive Officer to submit their own report on their ministry. One is that there will be no way for the delegate to ensure that there is consistency in the quality of the reporting. Another is that if a minister poofs or doesn't write a report, the delegate should be able to step in and either do it themselves or assign it to someone else - the original version does not allow for that. The most important problem, in my opinion, is that this is the constitutional description of Executive Officers: Emphasis is mine. It may be unconstitutional to assign independent duties to Executive Officers. Duties should be assigned to the delegate, in whom all executive power resides, and they should assign duties to their officers.

I don't understand how there is no way for the Delegate to ensure consistency in reporting, just because it requires each EO to submit their own report? They're the Delegates ministers and the Delegate will know when the reports are due, surely its just basic leadership and management for the Delegate to provide that consistency (if they want to). The way it is written there's nothing stopping it being submitted as one large joint report, it just ensures that all Ministries/EOs are reporting, which your amendment does not.

I also don't see how it would be unconstitutional, just because EOs are appointed by the Delegate to assist them? They are government officials working for the executive with a relatively high degree of delegate authority and it would be totally legitimate for the legislature to want to maintain oversight of their activity. Not really much different (well, other than scale and scope) than Congressional oversight of the Presidents cabinet members, who after all are also appointed by POTUS to assist him with his duties.

There are multiple problems with requiring each Executive Officer to submit their own report on their ministry. One is that there will be no way for the delegate to ensure that there is consistency in the quality of the reporting
Very much agreed with this. Were I to submit a report on the activity of the Culture Ministry today, it would just be a list:
1. This thing happened
2. This thing is being planned
3. We've had discussions about other things

Some of our more verbose ministers would likely submit several paragraphs of happenings.

I haven't been a Minister yet so I'm not completely qualified to weigh in on this, but in a sense, this already gets reported to the Delegate in the first place. Ghost is knowledgeable enough to poke XYZ minister to explain in a paragraph what's going on in that Ministry, and it's fair to assume that if you're Delegate of TNP you're smart enough to do the same. I don't think this is really necessary.

Very much agreed with this. Were I to submit a report on the activity of the Culture Ministry today, it would just be a list:
1. This thing happened

Some of our more verbose ministers would likely submit several paragraphs of happenings.
Meanwhile mine would likely just be links to the Defense forum and the latest TNL - any more than that could risk leaking classified info.

1. This thing happened

Honestly, I'd take the same approach. All in all though, I don't think this legislation is really necessary.

My main aim has been since the beginning to promote activity and dialogue between the RA and the Executive. I considered the presentation of a report from the executive a good way to begin that dialogue.

If you want to do that the easiest way would be a single report from the delegate, which would include a paragraph or two from each ministry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back