Election Commission Nominations of Brendog and Artemis

Status
Not open for further replies.
(a Deputy Speaker is allowed to serve on the Election Commission? Didn’t notice that was a thing til now. What about speaker?)
I will vote for Artemis and Brendog. Good luck to both

Election Commissioners are exempt from the constitutional restrictions on holding multiple offices, Yuno. The rationale behind that is that we need a sizeable number of knowledgeable people for the commission to run effectively, and they serve for relatively long terms. To facilitate that, we need a wide pool if applicants who are already involved in the regional government. Placing restrictions on that makes it difficult.

I fully support these reappointments, and I would suggest that we proceed to a vote soon. So far, every reappointment has passed with minimal opposition, and I don't anticipate any break in that pattern here.

Election Commissioners are exempt from the constitutional restrictions on holding multiple offices.
Correct. The Election Commission is not part of the Executive, Judiciary, or Legislative Branch by law. It's sort of like Deputy Ministers. While yes the Election Commission is defined as law to exist to supervise elections, they are not defined by law to be part of any branch. Deputy Ministers are not part of any of the branches. They are employees of the Government like anybody else who joins the Executive Staff, they are just high ranking officials of the Body run by a Executive Officer (Minister). Let me bring up 2 sections of the General Positions Article of the Constitution:
Constitution Article 7. General Provisions:
9. No person may simultaneously serve in more than one constitutionally-mandated elected official positions.
10. No person may simultaneously serve in government official positions in more than one of the executive, legislative, or judicial categories. Exceptions to this provision may be established by law.
I could be Minister of Communications but not Deputy Attorney General because Minister of Communications is an official of the Executive Branch and thus an Executive Officer while Deputy Attorney General is part of the judiciary. That's how you could think of it. Let me quote another part of the Constitution.
Constitution Article 3. The Delegate and Vice Delegate:
8. The Delegate may appoint executive officers to assist them and may dismiss these officers freely. Executive officers may be regulated by law.
Ministers aren't defined by law but Executive Officers are. Ministers are Executive Officers thus part of the Executive.

Anyways, full support for Artemis and Brendog. :)

As an update.
With Artemis's and Brendog's Election Commission membership overlasped, I believe we should get this to a vote soon. I'll see if any other questions come up in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back