How Was The Internet created... I guess

Hatch

Tribekistan
Hello,
I've came bring to attention the framework of the Eras World Wide Web. this is Tribekistan by the way. I didn't see a template, so i guess I'll just make a paragraph explaining a possible explanation to why the internet stays active.

Irl, the internet is connected to all the continents by a system of deep sea cables that line the ocean floor. Well I'm not sure how to put this, but i honestly have any idea how to explain that these cables were placed, without giving a certain nation credit for the achievement. The internet also can be transmitted via satellites in orbit. Satellites are the most expensive option because they need to be flown into spaces, which is ineffective, and unnecessarily expensive. As for the creation of the WORLD wide web, that can't be be given to a single country. Instead, it would be given to the companies which would build the cables their selves . Since the cables are underwater, the cables would need to be repaired by technicians.

i guess this would explain the internet if the companies were named.
-Hatch
Tribekistan

I'm of the opinion that both the Internet and the World Wide Web's origins and functions should remain ambiguous and not defined. If we go the route of explaining the history of how both were invented, then we would have to designate one nation or a group of nations as the origin point of the Internet (similar to how the modern day internet is built off the backbone of ARPANET created by the United States). Then with the World Wide Web, it was created by Tim-Berners Lee and the people he worked with at CERN. And again the issue arises that we would have to dedicate one nation or a company as the origin point of the WWW. In both situations, the problem that arises is what happens if said nation designated as the origin point CTE (ceases to exist) or is removed from the map due to inactivity. You now are tying something back to a non-existent nation which can cause problems down the road.

TL;DR: I go with the notion that the Internet and World Wide Web work the exact same way in Eras as they do in real life.

Ditto, though I do think that certain services, such as Fluttr, should be claimable by the person who starts the thread. Going back to that example, for at least a month or two now I finally got around to worldbuilding Fluttr's origins and decided that it was created by a Syrixian who started Fluttr, Inc.

EDIT: @Highton, I have satellites as well.

Back