Do not Dream of the Future

Norsia, 14th Century

Swords clashed against shields, Harald grinning underneath his helmet and face guard.
"You'll have to kill me first, and if you do I'll know both grace and glory" he called out. He had a frenzied look in his eyes, finding a sense of peace in battle. This...this was his element. His blood flowed hot, his hand gripped the hilt of his blade. The blood, dirt, sweat. It swirled in the air around him.

He clashed with Valis again, their horses colliding and tossing both off. The earth seemed to team under Harald. A sense of closeness, a sense of primal energy running from it through his body. Did Valis sense it? Yes. Yes he must have. He could see it in his eyes.

"We've taken what we can, in the name of our faith!" he called out with a grin.
"Only a fool would expect others to settle for anything less!" he called out, charging the Trien Lord as his army fought with the Horde at the gates of Lusovo, the storm clouds above growing heavy and dark with rain. The roar of thunder beginning in the distance and rolling closer.

Eduard turned his horse from the hill overlooking the the battle. He'd seen enough, and he closed his eyes briefly, to tearfully morn Harald's end. He could see it. He'd fought enough battles to know what would happen. He could curse his lover's stubborn stupidity later, though, as it would be for naught if he didn't act.

"Your Majesty" he called out, dismounting his horse as he entered King Robert's tent.
"We need to turn now, back to the border."

Robert stood, the sword Jægerblað hanging from his hip. Not that he'd know what to do with it if he had to.
"Thane Jórvík tells me that the battle isn't lost" he said, causing Eduard to give the Thane a menacing glance.

"The Trien Horde will overwhelm your brother's army. We could join him in battle, but there is no guarantee it'll be enough. If my men fall? No one will be able to safeguard you, Your Majesty. Or protect the march. We need to turn now, while your brother and his men can still hold the Horde off. And before the rain can slow our retreat. If we leave now Prince Harald and the rain should be our ally, not our obstacle."

"You're asking your King to leave the field of battle while he still has a chance to seize victory! The very notion of it is treasonous. A less privileged man would die from a blood eagle. Then again you are allowed your share of proclivities, are you not?" Thane Jórvík replied with a self-satisfied smirk.

Eduard, however, was not having any of his barbs.
"Your people know a blood eagle better than most, Bayardi" he sneered, "and I will not be accused of treason for protecting my King while his own brother risks his life for him. I'm afraid neither I or Prince Harald have your sense of self-preservation" he finished before turning, leaving the tent to bark orders at his men.
"We move out at once! Back, to the sea and across the border! The Knights of the Storm will protect the King, the rest guard the rear!"

"What are you doing?" Jórvík barked, following him with King Robert in tow. "His Majesty has given no such order!"

Eduard looked to Robert and back to Jórvík.
"I am Lord Commander of the Knights of the Storm. Royal Executor. I speak for the King. And what I say is his law. His command. Unless he says otherwise."
Eduard looked to King Robert. He slowly nodded.

"The Lord Commander's orders should be followed" he said softly, his breath shaking. Jórvík looked on shocked, only to be disregarded by Eduard, who went about ordering the retreat.

Jórvík attempted to get Robert to reconsider, but the Thane's pleas fell on deaf ears. All Robert could do was observe the fighting from Lusovo. He had come so close...

Norsia 21st Century

Tobias nodded. "I'll have Ambassador Kofoed inform General Eiderwig at once. I'm glad to hear he's been a positive force in Dornnitz. I'd say he'll be happy to head home but if I know my elder cousin? He's probably the happiest he's ever been keeping the peace" he chuckled. It was true. Overseeing an occupation with military efficiency was Thane Kresten Eiderwig's idea of heaven. In all likelihood. One could hardly imagine the man truly "happy" in any circumstance.

Tobias' face grew a bit dour as Alycia mentioned the second Harrier.
"I know exactly what you're talking about" he said softly, leaning back in his chair. "General Eiderwig ordered a number of scouting parties to look for the pilot after Dornnitz was secure. They found the wreckage. No body though..." he sighed.
"I was told that it was determined that the pilot probably died of exposure after sustaining an injury. She probably died out in the wilderness..." his voice was heavy.
"I personally called her fiance, to inform him of her MIA status. Lt. Lise Abildgaard..." he looked at Alycia.
"People fought in my name for fifteen years. Many of them died. She was the first though, the first to die in service to Prydania, on my orders..." he paused, only to force himself to smile.

"If you could help, help locate her body. It would mean the world to her family and fiance, I know it would" he added.
"I'm not so naive to be unnerved at the idea that I won't have to send good men and women to die...but I really don't want anyone who dies because of me to do so in vain. That's why this railway network is so important Alycia" he said with a genuine smile.
"The Bergum Pact is one thing, but if we can start the inter-connectivity of Craviter, imagine. It's a greater step towards peace. One day someone might even be able to take a train from Beaconsviði to Lusovo, through Bergum and into Cogoria."

His smile grew a bit as he shared this dream.
"Prydania, Maloria, Kanada, Norsia...even Cogoria. You and I could start it all together."

Last edited:
Norsia 14th Century

Valis grinned wide as it had begun to rain and thunder. Some of the Triens around them seemed to try to fight harder as the rain started to pour. Valis tossed his shield down to the ground and drew his war ax from its belt loop. "Cunigni himself watches this battle! I will claim his praise and my vengeance!" Valis wasted no more time as he charged straight for Harald bringing his hand ax down.

Queen Hera and her knights had arrived into the melee, they charged straight into the thickest contingent of Prydanians they could find trampling and slicing those they could.
the swordsmen and Spearmen lagged behind still.

Norsia 21st Century

Alycia shook her head in refusal. "I do not accept that she may or may not be dead. I want a yes or a no." Alycia seemed to down the last of her wine.
Alycia continued on into a rant. "I simply refuse to give up on the missing. Whether they be a kidnapping victim or a national hero missing in the field. Where she crashed there is a lot of tree cover and a lot of caves and abandoned mines. Caves and mines have their own natural ambient heat. If they managed to bind their wounds and secure a source of food and water they could survive a good while; even in the snows."

Alycia picked up a silver bell by her side and rung it twice. A few seconds passed before a finely dressed officer appeared. "Tell Colart to gather every single Advanced Recon Guardsmen and mobilize them in Pelion. they are to find Prydanian Lt. Lise Abilgaard dead or alive. I want the area searched thoroughly. Focus on caves and abandoned mines. He's allowed all the resources he needs. rotating shifts and patrols until she is found." The Guardsmen bowed to her and rushed off.

Alycia sighed as she poured herself another smaller cup of wine. "I am sorry for that intermission. I just had to.."
Alycia took a sip of her wine. "Why? Why contain the infrastructure plans to the Bergum Pact and possibly Cogoria? Why not think big and go big? A train from Beaconsfield to Sil Dorsett? why not try and get all of the nations of this jewel in on it at once? Are we afraid of them saying no? If they say no then they were against it in the first place."

Alycia hung up as she was about to respond to Toby's last words. Her words were there she just could not utter them, even with the three glasses of liquid courage she had through the course
of the night. She had encountered an invisible barrier that not even her willpower would let her just break down. Never has this happened with other people yet it consistently happened with Tobias over and over again. The inability to speak her mind was frustrating! How can someone have the will and power over an entire nation, to make critical decisions but not have the power to utter a stupid phrase of devotion? Alycia sat there unwillingly enjoying the brief silence while nursing her wine, frustrated that yet another perfect chance had just passed her by.

Norsia, 14th Century

The rain and thunder only made Harald smile. His ancestors would say it was Thor. He was a Messianist...it was righteous furry of God...but it didn't matter. His blood pulsed like that of his ancestors. This was battle...and no storm would stop him from seeing it through. They did not call the Loðbróks Storm Lords for nothing.

He tossed his shield aside, gripping his sword with both hands. His men, knights, members of his war band, footmen...Queen Hera's arrival spelt doom for his assault. He looked once more towards Eduard's position.
"This is it, love" he thought, before he once more faced Valis. If he were to die...this was it. On his feet, in the element his ancestors braved to conquer Prydania.

His sword clashed with Valis' axe. He swung again, steel meeting steel. And again. He felt his feet weaken in the mud forming on the ground, but after each clash, where the rested Valis was starting to gain an advantage, he charged in for more. He smiled under his helmet's face guard.
He was Harald Loðbrók. Second son of Erik III. Prince of Prydania. Prince of Heorot. Thane of Hadden. Last of the Vikings. And lover of Eduard Kvist. He breathed deep, his smile remaining despite knowing that given who he was? He was also going to die. It was clear he was going to die.

He gripped his sword with both hands and swung once more. Even if he killed Valis...the battle was lost. Astissa was saved...he would die.

His sword connected with Valis' axe once more. He stumbled, and that was enough for a skilled warrior like Valis. The next blow landed at the base of his neck. He cried out in pain and defiance, looking up at the man who would take his life. It was not the worst thing one could see as their final vision, the man who granted him an honourable death.

Norsia, 21st Century

"You're amazing, you know that?" Tobias replied with a smile as he sipped on his own wine. Prydanians knew mead, but the Norsians...they knew wine.
"And I can't thank you enough..." he said softly.
"I know I can't take it on myself to search out every solider who disappears under my orders..." he set his glass down.
"I appreciate the help with this one."

He thought he knew what to say next...
"I like that idea very much. Trains connecting us to Cogoria, Maloria, Kanada...down to Arrandal and Sil Dorsett. Imagine it even further though. Into Highton and Callise and Cimmeria. We can do it, together."

He sat up in his chair, having slowly dipped into a lounging position through the evening. Now though he was sitting up, even leaning a bit into the table. A King of Prydania on a diplomatic visit, having dinner with a foreign sovereign, with his elbows on the table? William would be outraged!

"But you're amazing. And together we'll save Craviter."

Last edited:
Norsia 14th century

"You fought well, take your place among the divine!" Valis swung with his sword down onto Haralds neck from the opposite side finishing Harald off. Harald was an exquisite warrior and for some reason, his death gave Valis pause. Valis saluted the fallen man who had earned his respect with his weapon and began to turn away to seek a new foe. The pain in his gut was sharp and agonizing, his face wide with shock as his eyes had to process the image in front of him. Valis had hesitated on the battlefield and a Prydanian had exploited that. He smiled even as blood flowed from his mouth. Harald had a way better death than Valis, Harald died on his feet and fighting Valis died because of carelessness.

"Hah, lucky bastard spawn.." was all that Valis muttered before falling to the ground next to Harald.

Valis the Younger watched as his father fell and the center of his battle became quieter than the others he felt a gauntlet touch his shoulder. "If you want to live long enough to marry my Daughter, your beloved, you need to not repeat his mistake! Pick up your sword and act like he would! We are exposed we need to rejoin the center!" Hera took her hand off of his shoulder and rushed for the line, not caring if Young Valis followed or not, her duties were to her army, not just one princely squire.
Despite the loss of Valis the Triens and the Norsians continued to push the Prydanians, encouraged by the presence of each other on the battlefield and the shifting of the battles ebb and flow. Victory was waiting!

Norsia 21st Century

Alycia with her usual smile carried on. "It is unreasonable as a monarch to agonize yourself over every one of your soldiers it is true it is a burden a ruler cannot afford, but at the same time? Sometimes you need to give back, I was in the shoes of a soldier not long ago at all. I understand what they do and sometimes you need someone to care more than they should. In Norsia's case, the military and its spirit are what made Norsia. I cannot afford to abandon those who die for me, even foreign."

Alycia lets out a small chuckle "I may need to switch to water... I hope we save Craviter, its got a long and storied history of violence and strife, it deserves a good golden age."

---------------------------------------------

A fleet of helicopters bearing the S.A.R acronym passes over the mountain range separating the southern cities from Pelion. as they begin to enter the search area two of them break off from the formation as their loudspeakers go live. their operators speaking in Makari. "Lise Abilgaard we won't leave you behind! Lise Abilgaard we won't leave you behind!" the one leading the fleet continues on into Pelion, soon landing in an open square as colart disembarks with his crew to start unloading the chopper of its cargo.

Norsia, 14th Century

"My brother...did he die the death he wanted?" King Robert asked.

Lord General Eduard Kvist gulped. He was processing Prince Harald's death himself. And yet...well...he couldn't be too open about how much the Prince's death hurt him. Certain appearances had to be maintained. He cursed it all silently before replying.
"Your brother...he'd be happy to have died fighting, Your Majesty" he said sombrely.

"Would he be though?" Robert asked.
"Would he be happy to die, for this blasted, stupid war?" he cursed himself.
"This was a mistake...even now, the rains are driving us from Norsia. The land wants none of us."

"Your brother held to the old ways, Your Majesty. One of the last to do so. Some found him...." he paused, again needing to control what he said...
"Some found him dashing for it. Others a relic, but he held true to those beliefs. To die for his brother and King, that's a good cause, no matter where or how."

"The war isn't over is it?" Robert asked.
"The Norsians have the initiative. They'll likely seek vengeance for the lands and treasures we plundered" Eduard replied sombrely.

"Can you fight them off?"

"Your Majesty...we've suffered heavy losses. I cannot hold a Norsian invasion back...not on my own. Once we cross back and find refuge at Darrow...we need to send to Thane Eiderwig. Call him to arms."

Robert hesitated. There was a reason the Thane of Eiderwig's bannermen were not with their host.

"Your Majesty, his...peculiarities...are exactly why he's needed now."

Robert nodded.
"We won't linger in Darrow. You ride ahead. You're my Executor. Carry my word to the Thane."

"It will be done Your Majesty."

And it was as the rain fell, that Robert I of Prydania crossed back into his own realm. No other sovereign of Prydania would set foot back for close to seven hundred years.

Norsia 21st Century

Tobias chuckled, sipping his wine.
"I could do with some water" he added, relaxing back in his chair.

"And you're right...I can't fixate on every soldier..." he just breathed deep and looked at Alycia, letting himself take the vision of her in for a moment.
"But that does bring another thing up. If I never see another day of war in my life? It'll be too soon. I've seen far more people die than anyone my age should see...and I know Alycia, the same is true for you..." he paused for a moment as he collected his thoughts.

"I thought a lot about what I would do if I ever got to be King. It's kind of unavoidable when you fill a child's head with that kind of idea I guess..." he chuckled.
"What I'm getting at is that I never expected things would be so...harsh on the international stage. We have the Bergum Pact, but our countries are unique. We're not just bound by our scars and our struggle, we border one and other. What threatens your realm threatens mine, and vise versa. Railways will connect us, but our naval banners, flying side by side under one fleet. They'll keep us safe. Protect us. And everyone we're responsible for."

Lise had been ignoring the pain in her leg for a week now. It was once a dull but noticeable ache, but it was easy to ignore. Then the pain got sharper, but she was a soldier. She managed through it. Now though? It was like daggers through her leg. She'd forced herself through it as she gathered supplies the last few days but now? The rain clattered on the ground just outside of the cave she'd claimed as her own.
She lay inside, feeling exhaustion overtake her. She didn't even bother getting up. Last night...it was too bad. And the pain lingered in her leg. Whatever was wrong....she'd aggravated it to the point that she would rather lie there and slowly wither away then get up to gather what she needed for another day.

"Just one day....tomorrow I'll try to get up...just one day to rest it off..."

She'd been here, deep in the woods of the Norsian mountains, since her Harrier jet was shot down by Red Laurel AA missiles. Something they weren't supposed to have...
She didn't dwell on that though. She'd hoped they'd come, but she never heard a rescue party. She was too injured to get a survey of the land, but she suspected it was too remote anyway. She didn't see any roads or pathways. Anyone who was calling for her couldn't be heard here anywhere. She'd held out hope that one day the pain in her leg would feel better and she'd be able to walk into a town and contact home...instead the leg got worse.

"Tomorrow..." she said to herself barely awake. "Tomorrow..."

She wasn't sure if she drifted off back to sleep or not...but she was startled out of her daze by the loudspeakers saying her name! Makari too! With a Ceretian Nors accent to be sure...but that was Makari!
She rolled over and forced herself up...she could hear the blades of a helicopter! They were looking for her? Did that mean the RLA had lost? She dragged herself before switching to hopping for a moment, out of the cave...

"I'm here! Here! Can you hear me!?" she called out, "CAN YOU HEAR ME? Lt. Lise Abildgaard, KPF!" she called out...her heart leapt! She could hear the chopper lowering. Sure, it meant her calls were drowned out as the machine got closer to the ground, but it meant...they were staying! They were here! They wouldn't be leaving!"

"I'M HERE!" she repeated, dragging herself in the direction of the loudspeakers and chopper, waving a hand whenever balance would allow it, before finally collapsing in the grass and twigs. She continued to crawl though, "HERE! HERE!" she called out before pulling herself to a clearing...

Back