Pan-Gotic Union

Kif Krogh looked on a bit anxiously before speaking.

“I have to concure with my colleagues from Gotmark, Valland, and Andrenne. The mutual defence clause must be upheld if it is to remain meaningful. To allow one nation full membership and the option to discard it would be to neuter it entirely.”

He paused for a moment as an aide handed him a file he began to look through.
“The Kingdom of Prydania would stress that our brothers and sisters from the Kingdom of Merilia strongly reconsider this aspect of their application. It is the only issue the Prydanian government finds with it, but sadly it is a point that we feel is non-negotiable.”

Stefan sat listening to the comments from some of the representatives and he had fully expected Merilia's neutrality to be brought into question. After four representatives had spoken, he leaned towards his microphone to respond.

"While it is true that the Kingdom of Merilia maintains a simple neutrality, I must stress that it only prevents my nations armed forces from getting involved in a conflict. It does not cause the Kingdom to be isolationist or prevent us from providing humanitarian aid and relief both during and following a crisis. In past conflicts, we have provided humanitarian help alongside refugee shelters both in the war torn country and at home until such time that the refugees either choose to return to their home country or stay in Merilia and become citizens. This ties into our political situation where the Kingdom strives to maintain friendly and open relations with all nations in Eras. Our most recent humanitarian operations were in Sil Dorsett and Prydania where we not only offered refugee housing but food, medicine and personnel to help rebuild what had been lost, be they roads, highways, buildings, or public infrastructure.

So while many might find our stance on staying out of conflicts to be disagreeable and think that we should do more to contain or prevent conflicts, I ask that you keep in mind that the Kingdom's stance and adherence to peace and conflict avoidance has created a very strong and stable economy... economic strength and stability which acts as the backbone to my government's response in providing humanitarian help when needed. Our economic strength is built on the back of the big three exports of information technology services, machinery, and electrical products and equipment. However, we still maintain a reasonably strong manufacturing and agricultural sector.

Moving on, I understand the concern that if the Pan Gotic Union allows one nation to opt out of the mutual defense clause, it will cause a domino effect that will lead to the eventual dissolvement of said clause. This was one issue brought to the attention of Ms. Rosenørn, the Kingdom's representative to the Trillium Compact, an alliance that has a mutual defense clause with the ability to opt out and to date, the Kingdom of Merilia is the only nation that has thus far exercised that right. Furthermore, the Kingdom has been monitoring what has gone on in the Phoenix Union, another alliance that has a mutual defense clause with the ability to opt out. It took until very recently for a member-nation, Sil Dorsett, to exercise that right. So yes, it is a concern and one that should be brought to attention and addressed but I do not share the same fear that allowing one nation to opt out will start a domino effect of everyone wanting to opt out. What should be done is to de-incentivize the ability to opt out and make it something that no nation would want to utilize unless they are one hundred percent committed to the consequences of doing so. As such, I am fully accepting the possibility that if we are allowed to opt out of the mutual defense clause that it means the Kingdom is agreeing to the notion that no Pan Gotic Union member has to come to our defense should we be attacked. Furthermore, as I had mentioned earlier, the Kingdom upholds and maintains a very well rounded humanitarian aid and relief operation. The Chancellors Council and I view that humanitarian interventionism is a strong enough replacement in lieu of military interventionism as dictated by the mutual defense clause.

Lastly, regarding the notion that we should reconsider our neutrality, sadly I must inform that Merilia's neutrality is a non-negotiable point. It has been a part of the Kingdom's culture for the last one hundred and seventy five plus years since the early-mid eighteen hundreds. To undo the neutrality would require a referendum of the constitution, the backing of the majority of the public, and the full backing of the Chancellors Council. None of which is an option at the moment as the support for neutrality remains high."

Mr. Løfgren leaned into his microphone to speak.

"If the Kingdom of Merilla wishes to opt out of the mutual defense and in turn stand alone if dragged into a conflict, I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to join. They gain nothing and we lose nothing. They can still contribute in their own way. As for this so called domino effect, I'm sure the more law abiding nations will choose to uphold our clauses. Unless of course my current company has had a sudden sway of heart."

"We would to move this to a vote."

He leaned back in his chair looking as if he was about to fall asleep.

Equally if not more tired than other representatives, Kari Vistell yawned and took a sip of tea, clearing her throat before leaning back towards the microphone.

"Taking into account what has been said tonight by both the applicant and the various speakers in or not in favor of their acceptance as a member, unless anyone else has something to add we would like to second the Yalken motion to move to a vote- So that we may all go to sleep in whatever hotel we're all respectively staying at, as it is getting quite late and we have been here for a long time."

Årnad stood.

"I hereby accept the motion. And for Mister Meyer, there was no reason to third a motion."

Code:
[b]Nation:[/b]
[b]Accept Merilia as a member state?[/b] <YES> <NO> <ABSTAIN>

Nation: Prydania
Accept Merilia as a member state? <YES>

Årnad stood.

"The results are in.

4 Nays, 3 Yeas, and 4 Abstentions.

The motion on Merilia's acceptance fails."

Årnad stood.

"Alas, Ladies and Gentlemen. Today my term has come to an end. I would like to thank everyone who participated in this 3rd term of the PGU's existence, and my second term as its Chancellor. However though, for the time being, I am not going to seek re-election. I hereby call elections. Nations have 4 days to submit candidates, and after that there will be a three day questions and speeches period, followed by the election. I will relinquish the chancellorship after the election has been tallied. Thank you everyone once again for this amazing opportunity to be your chancellor."

Code:
[b]Nation:[/b]
[b]Candidate:[/b]

Mr. Løfgren stood to speak.

“You’re welcome. At this time I would like to put myself forward as a candidate.”

He returned to his sitting position as he always did.

Nation: Yalkan
Candidate: Archibald Løfgren

Ambassador Krogh stood.

"I would first like to thank Mr. Årnad for his service. I would also like to announce my candidacy."

Nation: Prydania
Candidate: Kif Krogh

Årnad stood.

"The candidate registration period has finished. There are now three days for candidates to submit speeches, and for members to ask questions of the candidates. Thank you"

Mr. Løfgren hurriedly rose to speak whilst clutching a rather crumpled pieces of paper. Repeatedly adjusting it back and forth in front of him as if no matter where it were, it would be out of focus. He cleared his throat.

"Dearest friends of this exemplary union, I beseech you to elect me chancellor and let me lead this great union. The only thing I wish, is to continue the great work Mr. Årnad has done. I believe though that through some small amendments we can make ourselves even stronger. Thank you all for your time."

He resume his seat, before suddenly rising again.

"Oh and best of luck to Mr. Krogh"

He sat down again almost deflating into his chair.

Meyer stood.

"I'd like to begin by wishing both candidates the best of luck." Then turning to Løfgren, he asked, "Mr. Løfgren, I must ask- what are these amendments that you believe would make this Union stronger, and why would they do so?"

Mr. Løfgren stood quickly in response to being addressed, almost as if he was surprised.

"There are many articles that require further detail and explanation. We have no precedent for many voting situations. I wish to merely remedy these unfortunate oversights. To have a more detailed set of rules will guide us all better. Nothing will be left to chance or interpretation."

He decided to remain standing as it would be easier this way.

Mr Staufenberg loudly cleared his throat.

“My question is for both candidates,” he said taking an uncomfortably long pause. “What do you see as the biggest challenges facing the PGU today?” He cleared his throat. “And what steps would you...” he cleared his throat again, “as chancellor, take to address these challenges?”

Mr. Krogh watched Mr. Staufenberg sympathetically. The man clearly needed a lozenge.

"I would first like to say that it isn't lightly that my government has sponsored my choice to seek the Chancellorship of this union. The Kingdom of Prydania believes in the PGU, and it's my belief that we have a chance to make a better Union."

"To Ambassador Staufenberg's question. The biggest challenge the PGU faces is internalization and isolation. It is far too easy to look inward and ignore the world around us. We are bound by common ancestry, yes. We are also, however, bound by a shared set of values. And it's this fact that I feel gives us a responsibility to be pro-active on the world stage. It is far too easy to stand for something when you look inwards. I would insist we look outwards. Under my Chancellorship? The PGU would be an active player on the world stage."

Mr. Løfgren stood to respond.

“I will have to disagree. I believe our greatest challenge would be to maintain this union. While we may have shared ancestry as Mr. Kroger has pointed out, we also hail from vastly different parts of the world all with their own challenges. If we can focus on each other first we can impact the world stage from a position of power and strength.”

Årnad stood.

"Very well then. Thank you candidates. We will now begin voting. Aides will be passing out the ballots. We ask candidates to please refrain from voting per the guidelines in the PGU constitution."

Code:
[b]JULY 2018 PGU CHANCELLOR ELECTION

Nation:[/b]

[b]Vote:[/b] < LØFGREN -- KROGH >

JULY 2018 PGU CHANCELLOR ELECTION

Nation:
Prydania

Vote: < ABSTAIN >

Prince Harris Ovyindsson, head pounding and an unacceptably noticeable amount of glitter on him, sunglasses hiding bloodshot eyes, ambled into the meeting, making his apologies as went, stopping briefly at the delegation of Andrenne to borrow a coin. He slumped down into his assigned chair, ignoring the pained look on Kewin Gunnarsson's face.

"The Grand Duchy finds no problem with either candidate and so has allowed me to personally decide our vote in this election." The Prince flipped the coin, accidentally showing a flash of his tattoo as he did. He caught the coin and showed it to no one, before lodging the Grand Duchy's vote:

JULY 2018 PGU CHANCELLOR ELECTION

Nation:
Gotmark

Vote: < LØFGREN >

Årnad stood for the last time as Chancellor.

"The results are in. Krogh, 2 votes, Løfgren, 6, with 3 abstains.

Archibald Løfgren of Yalkan is our new PGU Chancellor!"

He yielded, and returned to his seat.

OOC Note: OP has been updated in accordance with elections.

Mr. Løfgren quickly sprang up and shuffled to the podium.

"I wish to thank Mr. Årnad for his service and all of those who participated in this vote. First order of business of the Chancellery would be to appoint a deputy. For this I appoint Mr. Meyer as the deputy."

Back