Pan-Gotic Union

Kari looked at the results, before stating them.

"The results have come in. There are 4 in favor, and 1 not in favor, of rewriting Article 4, Section 1. There have been two abstaining votes. There are 6 in favor for amending Article 4, Section 3, and there has been 1 abstaining vote. Article 4, Section 1 will be rewritten, and Article 4, Section 3 will be amended. Thank you for voting."

[ooc note: the constitution has been edited to reflect the changes amended to it in the most recent legislative session]

Official Request from the Cojedan Government:
To the honorable members of the Pan-Gotic Union,

Greetings from Cojedes. I am Nestor Estávez, President of the Republic of Cojedes. On behalf of my nation, I make the request to the Pan-Gotic Union for the right to become an Observer state. We feel that, since we already have many allies in this union, that being an observer to such a great establishment is necessary. We humbly submit this request and await the response of the Union.

Sincerely Yours,
Nestor Estávez,
President of the Republic of Cojedes

Kanada supports Cojedes' entry into the Pan-Gotic Union as a observer state. Even though they are not Gotic, their closeness to nations already in the alliance.

Årnad stood.

"I am of the opinion that Cojedes as a nation has played a very important role in Gothis, and is a valuable parter to those members of this Union on that continent. My delegation and I also support their petition for membership."

Re retook his seat, sipping some eggnog from the mug on his desk that has "world's best dad" written on it.

Løfgren rose.

"While their contributions to Gothis may be great, this union spans far and wide. We see no benefit to giving observer status to a nation that cannot become a committed member in the future. It is utterly redundant."

The grump resumed his seat.

Vistell stood and spoke.

"Seeing as there have been no further comments; I would like to move on to our next topic. Considering that the syndicalist threat has almost entirely been taken care of in Prydania, I would like to push for Prydania's full membership into the Pan-Gotic Union. The discussion period for this proposal begins now."

She sat back down, allowing potential discussions to begin.

"It seems a bit premature to accept Prydania into this union. Sure their war seems to be over, but they still have a long road ahead. Rebuilding is not a said-and-done equation, and there is bound to be civil unrest in the coming years. Until stability has returned to Prydania for a long enough time that our fears of renewed conflict can be alleviated, we cannot vote yes on their admittance."

The Hastfradic League representative then sat down.

Årnad stood.

"I think that we should not be dragging Prydania into this before they are ready to. I would rather have the representatives from Prydania come forward themselves when they are ready for this transition."

Løfgren rose.

"The faster we include the Prydanians into this union, the faster our combined resources can be committed to their reconstruction and economic revitalization. The long term benefits out way the short term costs. But of course the choice really comes down to if they wish to advance their membership. "

He resumed his seat.

Acting-Ambassador Kif Krogh stood.

"It's the position of the Prydanian government that, with remaining Syndicalist insurgents either neutralized on on the brink of collapse, that true stability can be achieved. To that end my government wishes me to inform this body that, following the end of operations against Syndicalists remnants? The bulk of our army not currently involved in the newly-won Norsian peace will be re-deployed to the Norsian border in the east to help secure the area from Stan Yeran aggression emanating from the Korovan conclave on the mainland."

He took a sip of water.
"The role of policing major cities and roads, the domain of the Royal Prydanian Army since the conclusion of the Civil War, will be placed in the hands of Police units under civilian control and oversight."

He looked through the last of his notes, eyes going a bit wide, but keeping his cool, matter-of-fact demeanour.
"It has also been relayed to me that His Majesty Tobias III, in light of the improving condition of the country, wishes to hold democratic elections to our Parliament as soon as is feasible, to further our march back to representative government."

Kif took a deep breath and set his notes down.
"I will not lie to this body and tell them Prydania has recovered. It has not. There is still much work to be done in rebuilding our nation. Yet thanks to many of the nations in this Union, as well as other nations that are not, we have come far. Infrastructure renewal outpaces projections, farmland has been drained, levies fixed. We no longer face imminent starvation. The most pressing threat is currently foreign aggression, from a power Prydania, along with its regional neighbours, are uniting to rebuke with peaceful solidarity. We are on our way to recovery. However long the road may still be, we are on our way."

Kif removed his glaces to pad his forehead with his handkerchief.
"Regardless what this body decides on this issue? On behalf of my King, my Prime Minister, and my nation? Thank you. Thank you to each and every representative here, thank you to your governments. Your Kings, Emperors, Presidents, and people. From the bottom of every Prydanian heart, thank you."

He sat down before sharing a nod with the Malorian and Kanadian representatives.

Årnad stood.

"I motion for a vote on the Prydanian membership bill and the Cojedan membership bill."

Code:
[b]VOTE:

Admit Cojedes as a PGU observer state?[/b]

<YES> <NO> <ABSTAIN>

[b]Admit Prydania as a full member state?[/b]

<YES> <NO> <ABSTAIN>

VOTE:

Admit Cojedes as a PGU observer state?

NO

Admit Prydania as a full member state?

YES

VOTE:

<NO>

<YES>

VOTE:

<YES>

<YES>

VOTE:

<YES>

<YES>

Kari stood after receiving the various voting cards. She stood to announce the results.

"Thank you all for voting. After counting the votes, the Pan-Gotic Union has decided that Kingdom of Prydania will be made a full member state, 7-1-1. Furthermore, the Pan-Gotic Union has decided that the Republic of Cojedes will be made an observer state, 4-3-2. Congratulations to both Prydania and Cojedes on their entry to the Pan-Gotic Union."

(OOC Note: Format for results is yes-no-abstain. Ilia did not vote within the 4 day window, therefore their votes are being counted as abstaining votes.)

[OOC NOTE: The OP has been edited in compliance with the most recent results of the legislative session]

Årnad stood.

"I would like to extend a congratulations to Prydania and Cojedes on their recent elevations to full member and observer member, respectively.

But to business, I do have a resolution that I would like to propose to the PGU council for deliberation. My assistants are passing out a draft created by my team and I.

PGU RESOLUTION: SMALL ARMS AND LIGHT WEAPONS AMMUNITION STANDARDIZATION PROGRAMME.​
Noting that there can be a great benefit to standardizing ammunition in times of war and peace, as it will increase military cooperation and effectiveness,

Recognizing that the members of this union already use similar or the same ammunition types,

Having considered the effects of ammo standardization,

Encourages the member states of the PGU to adopt and retain the standard ammunition types listed below, if not done so already;

1. Designates the 5.56x45mm cartridge as a standard PGU round for rifles;
2. Designates the 7.62x51mm cartridge as an alternate standard PGU round for rifles;
3. Designates the 5.7x28mm cartridge as a standard PGU round for pistols and submachine guns;
4. Designates the 9x19mm cartridge as an alternate standard PGU round for pistols and submachine guns;
5. Designates the 12.7x99mm (.50) as a standard PGU round for heavy machine guns, long range targeting guns, and anti-materiel rifles;
6. Endorses future cooperation among national defense contractors when designing future military small arms rounds.

I ask the speaker to open debate on this proposal."

He sat down, awaiting responses.

Kari quickly stood again, briskly speaking about the new proposal.

"I hereby open the floor to discussion of this new proposal."

Acting-Ambassador Kif Krogh stood.
"The Kingdom of Prydania would like to thank the PGU for their trust, friendship, and openness. We will strive to do all we can to contribute to the collective well-being of this union."

"In regards to Deputy-Chancellor Årnad's proposal? I find the proposal to be sensible. Ammunition standardization would not only allow for ease of trade of arms, but would also stimulate economic activity by making it possible for every arms manufacturer in PGU nations to sell to every other PGU nation. Rather than just their own governments."

Kewin Gunnarsson, as usual, remained seated.

"Gotmark has no opinion one way or another on this issue, and I comment only to, as others would say, get on the same level as my fellow ambassadors."

Jaevar Staufenberg didn't even stand up to reply.

'The Hastfradic League can not comply with this proposal. We already have standing obligations to our allies in the Trillium Compact and the standard ammunition of our armed forces is shared with our good friends in the Kingdom Republic of Ceretis, decided long ago in treaties and agreements. As such we will have to vote nay on this proposal.'

Løfgren leaned forward and breathed heavily into his mic for an uncomfortable amount of time.

"We support this proposal."

He leaned back satisfied.

Ambassador Krogh responded.
“Would it be possible to bring the proposed PGU standardization in line with the standards used by the Hastfradic League and their Ceretian allies?”

Løfgren cut in.

"Whilst it might be hasty. I believe we should let their vote speak for them. I motion for a vote on this bill."

Commissioner Olera remained seated and spoke into her microphone.

"It is the opinion of the of the Coalition that we would not be able to meet a standardization of arms. Its also apparent that the excuse of making arms trading any easier, makes little sense. A standardization would not effect the capacity of any private or government factories producing arms. Standardization also would not change anything to do with trading, it doesn't change our customs laws, inspections, or etc.

I would also argue that not only would this not positively effect economic activity, it would inadvertently harm the economies of nations with a smaller manufacturing base by lowering costs to the point local manufactures can't compete."

Ambassador Krogh nodded at the Yalkan ambassador.

"I second Ambassador Løfgren's motion to bring this resolution to a vote."

Vistell stood. "We will now begin voting on this proposal. This will the last action of my term, and elections will be opened directly after this vote is finished. Thank you for having me as your Chancellor."

Code:
[b]VOTE:

Introduce PGU Resolution for Small Arms and Light Weapons Ammunition Standardization Program?[/b]

<YES> <NO> <ABSTAIN>

VOTE:

Introduce PGU Resolution for Small Arms and Light Weapons Ammunition Standardization Program?

<YES>

VOTE:

Introduce PGU Resolution for Small Arms and Light Weapons Ammunition Standardization Program?

<YES>

Back