Pan-Gotic Union

"Your Highness, nothing was 'promised' to the Vallish delegation in exchange for the nomination of myself for the Chancellorship," Lucie replied "There was no 'quid pro quo'. This 'private meeting' that you refer to was nothing more than a brief conversation during a recess, and I believe that your response to the nomination appears to be an attempt to further your own campaign for the position of Chancellor. Would it pollute my ambassadorship if I went to taste some wine with my fellow delegates?

"On the topic of policy, and why I have accepted this nomination for Chancellor, I believe that the Pan-Gotic Union must remain as a forum amongst Gotic nation that should bring these nations closer together whilst not exceeding its purpose as to impend upon the member nations' right to sovereignty.

"Your Highness, can we focus on policy this election rather than your cooky conspiracy theories?"

Last edited:
"Rumors and partisanship will get us nowhere, ladies and gentlemen."

A thin, wiry man from the Andrennian delegation cleared his throat; Gvyn Janusson was the replacement for Kari Vistell, long overdue with the Social Democrat's coalition taking over leadership of the nation after Verhn's resignation back in May. The man pushed his small, circular, metal-framed glasses up, which seemed much smaller then his owl-like eyes.

"Frankly I would have assumed delegates of the Pan-Gotic Union would know that already..." He mumbled to himself.

"I am Gvyn Janusson and I am the new delegation for Andrenne. Our delegation has seen fit to ask me to step up to the chancellorship of this great Union. Our platform is one of reforming the horrendously slow bureaucracy and upholding our values internationally. Furthermore our platform is one of supporting and aiding our own member states..."

The old man paused for a moment, running a quick hand over his thinning grey hair. His voice was a smooth as silk, he was clearly a natural-born speaker. As to his role in Andrennian politics; avid students of Andrennian politics may remember this man as the former and now current Minister of Foreign Affairs; having replaced Sven Kalder who was now his Deputy Minister and in the past having been the man that helped negotiate peace with Gottia in the Gotmark War.

"Sending aid to those in need without the need of a vote, establishing new organizations within the PGU for the betterment of all member nations, and so on and so forth. Given my new opponents rather... interesting way of debating for such an important position I hope you shall consider us for the chancellorship. May the best man or woman win, eh?"

He smiled and returned to his seat, before sipping from a porcelain mug with Old Andrennian runes on it. Anyone that knew how to read them knew it said 'My other mug is a goat horn'. It seemed to just be coffee in the mug.

Last edited:
"Here is a candidate that understands what the PGU needs!" Magnar said enthusiastically as he rose from his seat

"The dragging bureaucracy and petty infighting that has hindered this organisation must be tackled if we are to make positive differences in the future, therefore Essalanea throws its full support behind the Andrennian candidate!" Magnar said before returning to his seat and pulling out his hip flask

The frustration in Lucie’s eyes was visible. It appeared that Harris’ blatantly false accusation had led to a series of events which could seriously harm her campaign, and now it appeared that delegates were falling for the bait.

“Mr Janusson, may I please make it clear that the accusations from His Highness have clearly disrupted the debate relating to this election? This blantant attempt to derail the debate should not be forgotten when the vote is held in a matter of days.”

"The accusation being that Highton and Valland spoke about what Highton would give Valland if Valland supported Highton's candidacy is false? I'll just quote what the Vallish delegation said when nominating you: "Ms. Marquette has assured us" and "A Marquette chancellorship, so we have been promised" - I'm not sure where the falsehood in stating that either Highton made promises - something you yourself denied - to Valland, or Valland lied.

So which is it, Ms Marquette?"

“Your Highness, you accused my delegation of offering something to the Vallish delegation in exchange for support. This allegation is entirely false. Need I to repeat, there was no quid pro quo whatsoever. And to you do I ask: do you not converse with other delegates during a recess? Or do you not interact? It is quite obvious that your conspiracy theories will only harm this Union and this debate. I repeat, can we please focus on policy during this election, rather than on personal squabbles?”

"I'd drop it, but I'll note you never answered my question. Did you promise, in the words of the Vallish delegation, anything to the Vallish delegation, either in exchange for their support or not, or did the Vallish lie when they said you did? We can focus on policy definitely, but there is also adequate time to focus on whether a candidate possesses the required amount of ethical thought to lead this Chamber."

Last edited:
“For the record, I promised nothing more to the Vallish delegation than what policies I intend to run on and have made clear to this assembly.

“A Marquette chancellorship will ensure that the nations in this Union can work together for common goals whilst protecting the sovereign right of every member and put petty arguments aside to work towards these goals.”

Last edited:
"So you did make promises to the Vallish delegation, despite saying earlier in reply to myself that 'nothing was promised' to them?" Prince Harris raised an eyebrow. "I suggest you consider the full implications of that statement - you made promises to a delegation prior to your candidacy of the policies you would be running on in exchange for their support. That sounds very much like a quid pro quo, despite your earlier denials."

Prince Harris turned to the other delegations. "I obviously would rather you voted for me, but if choose not to, then I highly recommend you vote for a candidate that won't sell their chancellorship to obstructionist delegations in exchange for a few bottles of Chianti. If I believe it would do anything, I would be making complaints on ethics grounds to the governments of Highton and Valland."

Lucie read directly from the dictionary: “Quid pro quo: a favor or advantage granted in return for something. What favor or advantage was given here? An assurance of what the policy of my run would be is completely different to a favor or advantage. Nothing was given to the Vallish delegation. Your Highness, I politely request that you use accurate and descriptive vocabulary rather than that which makes your political opponents look bad.”

Last edited:
"Your Highness," Christina chimed in, "I understand this is becoming hard for you, but let me go through the events in detail, for you and for all the delegations assembled. We first met the Hightonians at a recess towards the tail end of the previous session. I asked Ms. Marquette what her country's thoughts were on the upcoming election for the chancellorship. She told me she intended to run, and gave us a basic overview of her platform. We were skeptical at first, but she assured us of the platform's genuinity, going into greater detail and outlining the program we first mentioned and she subsequently confirmed. There was no quid pro quo, Your Highness, and no 'wine caves' were involved."

"Your Highness, your political maneuvering only further proves our point."
Christina chimed in. "Dirty internal politicking and bureaucratic nonsense are a damaging drag to the integrity of this alliance, and I thank you for providing a concise example through your actions." Christina turned to the other delegates. "Dellow felegates, this is why I strongly object to His Highness' claim of obstructionist activity. We seek to fight for our sovereignty and that of you, the honorable members, in the face of an already morally questionable state attempting to turn this alliance into an autonomous bureaucracy not beholden to any but itself."

"The answer to this alliance's problems is not to gorge the beast, but instead to open up the windows and give it fresh air! This organization has already proven its effectiveness as a forum for discussion and cooperation among Gotic nations regarding important issues, and its problems cannot and should not be made worse by pursuing a deluded, utopian vision of progress that only empowers the very menace it seeks to stop."

"If Valland sees the PGU as a 'menace', 'deluded' and a 'beast', perhaps they could do us all a favour, and leave?" Prince Harris mused. "You accuse us of dirty internal politicking dispute the only example of such is the secret deal you made with Highton over the Chancellorship. Frankly, I should be withdrawing my delegation and Gotmark should be expelling your embassy for the insults you so casually lob at us. Whilst you have been undermining your own state and advocating for religious crusades for the sake of Hellstrand's polling numbers, Gotmark is one of the few nations at this 'forum', as you put it, who actually engages in the kind of nation building and recovery Eras so desperately needs."

"Ask Prydania how we have helped them recover their environment since the defeat of the Syndicalists. Ask Norsia about the new forests we have planted that will flourish in the coming years, bringing back from the brink several native species of flora and fauna. These are the kind of activities you would dismiss as a 'deluded, utopian vision of progress' because Valland has no vision of anything but a small minded, backwards, way of doing things. The world is leaving you in your irrelevancy, and Gotmark will not allow you to drag the PGU along with you. You are, frankly, an anchor around the neck of this Union and the sooner we are rid of you, the better it will be for us all."

"I have few words for the Ms. Marquette beyond to point out that rather than answer our questions, they resort to weasel wording and evasion. Let us talk about policy then. Speaking on your behalf, your partner in the grubby little deal you made said that under your chancellorship, the PGU 'will remain as a forum for and amongst Gotic nations'. I had no idea we were considering allowing non-Gotic nations in the Pan-Gotic Union. Perhaps either of you could point out those non-Gotic nations that would be entering the alliance under the Chancellorship of anyone else. I'll wait." Prince Harris paused for a overly long moment. "That silence is the lack of non-Gotic nations that either myself or Mr. Janusson would let in. I'll move on."

"Speaking on your behalf, because evidently it is Valland that is writing your platform, and not yourself - I did once buy a puppet from a shop in Highton, and I'll admit they are of high quality, so I see why Valland is doing this - Valland also noted you had promised, and I just want to emphasise this, fellow delegates, Ms. Marquette promised Ms. Driessen that a Hightonian chancellorship 'will not overreach its bounds but will instead work to ensure the protection of its members' national sovereignty and to create compromise amongst members rather than pushing for certain agendae, with the exception of cases in which moral virtue demands it.' I have several questions."

"Firstly, where has Ms. Driessen told Ms. Marquette the bounds of the PGU are? Secondly, what specific policies has Ms. Driessen instructed Ms. Marquette to pursue to protect members' national sovereignty? Thirdly, define moral virtue and an instance in which Ms. Driessen would tell Ms. Marquette that national sovereignty can be infringed? And finally, how can the other delegations trust that Ms. Marquette will create compromise amongst members rather than pushing the agenda she is being told to push by Ms. Driessen?"

“Prince Harris,” Mats interrupted, “could you kindly spare us the accusations of who did what and who is a puppet? I would personally rather hear what each representative actually has to offer for the PGU, and I’m sure you will have plenty of time to talk further about your claims when we have actually finished the campaigning period.”

"I do indeed accuse you of dirty internal politicking, sir," Christina replied, "And you continue to prove it with every word you say. Fellow delegates, Gotmark has constructed two false narratives here; I would assume in some form of feeble effort to discredit our faculties. The first is their persistence towards pushing their 'wine cave conspiracy'. Gotmark has refused to listen to the testimonials of the very two individuals present, and has refused to back up their own accusations with any form of tangible proof or testimonials of their own. I told Ms. Marquette nothing. Her promise was that her platform was genuine. I have not denied and will not deny that was her promise, and it was made because, as I mentioned, we were at first skeptical of it, and, may I add, for good reason: namely, the rise of the collectivist attitude towards this alliance's governance which you have unapologetically spearheaded as of late."

"The second of Gotmark's false narratives is that of our attitude towards this alliance."
Christina continued. "If I may, firstly, note something regarding the nations which qualify for presence in this alliance? Perhaps I should ask of you whether the Pan-Gotic Union is or is not for Gotic nations. Even a fool would know it is, just by its name! The issue on the table is not who is allowed in this alliance, but whether, as I said, it remains as a forum or morphs into a bureaucracy. With that elementary grammatical clarification out of the way, though, I must protest the claim made by Gotmark that we regard this alliance as a menace. I say no, fellow delegates! We have been fighting for this alliance's integrity and will continue to do so. If we wished to leave these halls we would long since have done so by now. There is but one beast rearing its head today: the agenda Gotmark pushes; one of bureaucracy, collectivism, centralization, and the erosion of national sovereignty."

"Your Highness, you claim the ethical high ground and complain that you are being insulted. I say you are being exposed. Your country stood against the rest of us, the delegations assembled here, in your refusal to condemn institutionalized discrimination and instead discriminated against the religion of millions itself. Your country peddles conspiracy theories and a not-so-cleverly disguised bureaucratization of this alliance. Your country accuses mine of hypocrisy and political maneuvering whilst actively engaging in both. You claim the world is leaving us in irrelevancy, but ask the people of Callise, who stood up to protect their national sovereignty and helped shape the fabric of the Craviter Economic Association, preventing it from repeating the errors its predecessor committed. Ask the people of Syrixia and Maloria, where national sovereigntism continues to be on the rise. You mentioned Norsia. Ask the people of Norsia whether they chose to trust the Syndicalists in power or the promise of freedom and national greatness their Queen offered them this April. Ask the people of Sutherland who have so bravely erected a new nation from the ashes of war, and ask us, who stood up in a movement the likes of which our country has never before seen, to set our nation forward again."

"The world is leaving you in irrelevancy. The global national sovereigntist movement has just begun. I speak, sir, with millions of voices from around the world, and no longer can those voices stand by whilst political agendae like yours continue to be pushed."
She paused. "So! I say, if you are so inclined, go ahead. Expel your embassy. Withdraw your delegation. You will show to the world your unwillingness to engage in basic communication. In doing so you will show your irreverence for the processes that have guided this alliance since its founding, and your stubbornness in pursuing your agenda. As the honorable delegate from Xentherida has just shown, your not-so-cleverly hidden hostility towards the founding principles of this union is fooling no one."

Christina paused again, before finishing off with Prince Harris' own words, thrown right back at him. "Valland will not allow you to drag the PGU along with you. You are, frankly, an anchor around the neck of this Union and the sooner we are rid of you, the better it will be for us all."

Mats sighed. “I would like to politely ask the Vallish delegation to not twist my words and also to not additionally continue running this fruitless argument of who is puppeteering who into the ground. Telling other nations to leave the PGU is not constructive to this discussion nor the alliance as a whole and I would like all delegations involved to politely take a step back from debating on these accusations and properly focus on the actual chancellorship nominations itself.”

Last edited:
'You know' Magnar said rising from his seat with a pained grunt 'When I got up this morning I assumed it was to get down to the serious business of choosing a new chancellor, instead it seems some amongst this assembly are content simply to bleat and whine like a pack of incontinent herd animals!' Magnar leaned forward and shot the room an irritable look

'I came to elect a chancellor if we are still all of a mind to do that perhaps we could move to vote before Essalans second coming, otherwise let me know when your finished arguing and I shall go and relieve myself in the interim' Magnar said lowering himself into his chair with visible annoyance

Prince Harris openly laughed at the Vallish delegation. "Oh that is the best joke we have heard all week. Frankly, Ms. Driessen, you should take up comedy - you're clearly a substandard diplomat but you have a bright future on the stand-up circuit. You claim that Gotmark represents the forces of collectivisation, when nothing we have proposed in these chambers approaches that. I seem to recall that Valland was pushing for a religious crusade just to bolster Hellstrands poll numbers during the Oclusia crisis, rather than actually pursuing an achievable and realistic goal."

"I would also dispute that this union is just a forum for Gotic nations to converse. It is not, and the Constitution proves it! To quote: 'The nations of Eras which share a common Gotic ancestry hereby convene to establish a union in the common interests of mutual defense, trade, stability, and cooperation. We judge that the creation of a Pan-Gotic Union (PGU) is vital to the protection of our common goals and interests within the global community.' A union, Ms. Driessen, not a forum, but a union. If you fail to understand the basic differences between words, we can invoice your delegation a dictionary - you'll quickly learn agendae isn't a word - but nonetheless, you are incorrect that this is a simple forum. The purpose of this chamber, the one in which you stand and disparage and insult with your small mindedness and backwards, reactionary thinking, is to legislate. That is our primary purpose for being in this chamber. 'The PGU Council may set legislation on the general functioning of the PGU, trade relations, amend the PGU Constitution, and accept and eject members.' Again, from the Constitution. We're happy to lend you a copy since it seems you haven't bothered to read it.

Nothing we said in seriousness was approaching a conspiracy theory - you did meet with Hightonians and you did extract promises from them in order to gain your support. That much both yourself and Ms. Marquette have stated multiple times, despite attempts to muddy the issue and insist that nothing unethical occurred. Frankly, I'm surprised either of you can keep a straight face as you lie to this chamber."

Prince Harris turned to address Mats first. "I'm bringing up a matter of ethics as it is relevant to the election of a new Chancellor. The way in which nations and candidates go about gaining the support of the delegations here is important, particularly as one of the candidates has made particular promises to a delegation to pursue their agenda, rather than the collective interests of all the nations gathered here. If you don't feel that's important, perhaps some self-reflection on your part is due."

And then to Magnar. "I am literally doing what is required by the PGU Constitution. 'Following the closure of the declaration, there shall be three days of debate among the declared candidates followed by a three day voting period' - unless time is moving quicker here than anywhere else, we can only debate for the time being."

Haevar rubbed his temple in frustration. What was with all these northerners constantly fighting over who was the most corrupt? It grew tiresome. He could have been at home, fishing, instead of listening to this nonsense. And there’d be no talking sense into them, they’d just insult him for trying. Best to let them go on until they wore themselves out.

He made a sideways glance at his aid, and made a jerking off motion under the table where no one could see. The young man stifled a laugh at the rude gesture. “Yes, sir, they are,” he agreed.

Quietly getting up he told the young man “I’m gonna take a piss, they’ll be at this for hours.” He snuck out of the room, hoping no one saw him.

He found the bathroom. No one was in there. He checked all the stalls to make sure there wasn’t any poopers. It was all clear.

He took a little plastic bag from his inside pocket, and checked how much was left. Only a few ounces. He would need to ration.

He carefully poured some out, then using his ID card, he made a single line. Then he rolled up a twenty Florent note and snorted the whole thing up like an elephant taking a drink. He slapped the counter top as his nostrils burned.

Then once he was feeling better, he straightened his tie and fixed his hair. He rubbed any residue that was left off his teeth. Then he returned to his seat. Maybe he’d make it through long enough for these children to stop throwing their tantrum.

Ms. Lucie Marquette knew that the vote would happen shortly, and while there had been rigorous debate, it had not been on important topics that she had hoped would be discussed. For that reason, she decided to read a speech before motioning to open voting procedure. She tuned her microphone and began to speak confidently:

“Fellow delegates, I think it is safe to say that it has been a dramatic couple of days on this debate floor. I feel as if the candidates for the position of Chancellor have not had adequate opportunity to make their case as to why the delegations in this room should cast their vote in favour of their campaign. Before you cast your votes, I hope that every single delegation in this room will listen to these closing remarks with sincerity and elect who you believe will be the best person to take this alliance forward.

“First and foremost, I would like to address the elephant in the room. This week’s sessions of debate leading up to this election were plagued by name-calling, insults, and countless accusations at the expense of policy-related debate. I am saddened by the manner in which the debate was held and I truly hope that the election will move forward in a civilized manner. This alliance is very important to the Crowned Republic and I know that it is crucial for many of the nations in this room; I want to ensure that it is not torn apart by petty arguments over who told what to whom. Under a Marquette Chancellorship, this chamber will be held to decorum and I will ensure that that debate will be conducted in a civil and fair manner.

“The PGU may be very important to Highton, however its power should not be overreaching. There are thirteen full member states and one observer; each of these nations has its own distinct interests which in many cases contrast one another. This Union cannot and must not impede the sovereign rights of any of its members. Each individual state’s right to sovereignty should be protected. I hold firm in my belief that the PGU should be a forum amongst Gotic nations of Eras to work for peaceful solutions to problems, not one which is too centralized or that possesses a homogenous foreign policy among the members. If elected as Chancellor, I will promise to help this chamber reach compromise on contentious issues, and ensure that every nation’s national sovereignty is protected.

“We have heard from His Highness, but unfortunately not enough from Mr. Janusson. What we do know is that the Honorable Delegate from Andrenne has proposed incorporating sub-organizations into the PGU. What these sub-organizations will do was not made very clear, but what I can assure you all is that their addition will add more unneeded bureaucracy to the mechanisms of this Union, something that the Honorable Delegate claims that he seeks to get rid of. Mr. Janusson seems not to run on his policies but instead on the squabbling caused by the delegation from Gotmark. When you cast your vote, I encourage you to vote for someone you trust will be a strong Chancellor, rather than for someone who has attempted to exploit the situation for political gain and further exacerbate the persistence of the environment we have had to go through during this debate period.

“With over a decade in ambassadorial experience and a strong commitment to keep the reins of the PGU in the hands of you, the sovereign members, I believe that I am well qualified for the position of Chancellor. I pledge to reach compromise and protect every member’s inalienable rights, as we work for a brighter future for the Pan-Gotic Union.”

She paused before turning to Svane, adding “With that, Honorable Chancellor, I motion that we move directly into voting procedure.”

Roman sighed and shook his head during the whole session and exchange between the representatives. He had given up his elected seat in the lower house for this? A boy, a borderline fascist, and a Syrixian appeaser to argue in front of the entire Pan-Gotic Union? He took a drink of his ice water while continuing to listen at them go back and forth with each other.

Marten had personally selected him for this job though and one does not decline the wish of the Keizer. However, as the arguing went on he verbally exclaimed his disagreement with the statements from the Vallish representative. He couldn’t take these outrageous and bullish remarks any longer, especially when his nation was mentioned.

He stood up and looked at the Vallish representative. “Madam Driessen I would like to remind you in case that you have forgotten that this is an organization your nation agreed to join. If this is a ‘beast’ and a ‘menace’ then why join it? The door is only right there if you would be so inclined to use it to your desire.

Now onto the other matter at hand. I think it is quite obvious if anyone was listening to this debate that the representatives from Highton and Valland had exchanges beforehand. The representative from Highton alluded that she did in fact meet in wine caves which was later denied after it had already been said. Then it was said that there were no promises and then there was an admission to the promises which once again was denied by the party’s at fault. I am not an attorney anymore but I do not believe that this would hold up in court.

We seem to forget that this union was forged under democracy as well. The members of this union choose their leader and the propositions they choose to pass. I apologize if either one of you does not like democracy but if a stronger union is what this body wants? Then so be it. And personally Madam Driessen as well to the Hightonian representative, I do not need you to ensure my nation’s sovereignty remains intact. If there is anything we do not need it is relying on Valland and Highton to protect us.

I think it safe to say that we are all adults in this room. This idea that we need you to look after us and our interests is absurd and it is nothing but an election ploy by all of you. I see the Prince here and I do not see some collectivist monster. This is a vision of a more united union for the Gotic people of Eras. If this is how progress is viewed by the rest of you? As an infringement on national sovereignty then there is a problem. No one here today has advocated for a Gotic super-state or to take away your national sovereignty. This is blatant fear-mongering. Especially when any resolution passed by this body gives any member nation the ability to retract itself from the provisions of the article.

As well Madam Driessen, I have to ask you something. Are you a crypto-fascist yourself or do you put it out in the open? I would think one would be so inclined as to be more educated on the matter of your ‘national sovereigntism’ and especially so regarding Maloria. Mayor Horbach is nothing more than a Helmerist that wants to resurrect an old despotic regime in my nation. So again I have to ask, are your fascist allegiances out in the open with Hellstrand or are you still in the closet?” He stood there a moment and stared at everyone and sat back down.

"Honourable Chancellor" Svane muttered to himself as he looked to his Ilian Vice Chancellor seated next to him.
"Can you believe that?" he chuckled away from the mic before turning to the chamber.

"I wish" he began, before taking a sip of water, "that I was half the demon Mark Hellstrand made me out to be. If I were, my life would be infinitely more interesting than it is. I have never conspired with nameless and faceless bureaucrats that haunt the dreams of Vallish Federalists to erode the 'national sovereignty' of the nations of this union. I have never once moved to infringe on any member state's rights of self-determination. I should hope you all appreciate the freedom I've given you all during this 'debate' to vent your collective frustrations."

He sighed a bit before continuing.
"I did it though, because some things need to be said. And if this is to be my last address as Chancellor of this Union? I will take that opportunity."

He picked up a piece of paper he had scribbled something on, and turned to the Vallish representative.
"'The world is leaving you in irrelevancy. The global national sovereigntist movement has just begun.' Your words Ms. Driessen, either cribbed from the bloated trashbag of a person you call a party boss, or outright supplied by him. No, it's time this Chancellorship defended itself. And yes Ms. Driessen, I am using my authority on the matter to have the final word. This 'global national sovereigntist movement' is a collection of provincially minded thugs, those unwilling to accept a changing world. Who turn mere shadows into dragons to slay, because without them their anger would be directionless."

He set down the paper before continuing.
"And Valland's Federalists, apparently having run out of windmills to charge at, have chosen me as their arch-demon. Yes, woe the globalist agenda I have wrought, for actually resolving a dispute between Goyaneans, Andrennians, and Ajovulka. Yes, how dare I use this union to end a territorial dispute that has existed since the dissolution of UKAG, and to do it peacefully none the less! How dare I, indeed. If Mark Hellstrand points to this as an example of PGU overreach and an eroding of 'national sovereignty' then I fear for what his vision of the PGU looks like, Ambassador. Maybe he can tell me one day, should he find the balls to speak to me in person, and not behind a Fluttr screen."

"I do not shrink from my record as Chancellor of this union. No, I stand by it. Every action, word, and deed. I stand by it because I fear if I do then those" he said, pointing at the Vallish delegation, "who wish to tear it apart will win. The Federalist administration in Valland has made me an enemy? Well I will not go quietly into the night. Nor will I let the principles of unity, brotherhood, and progress this union represents die so quietly. Not under the attack from thugs, bigots, and assorted closed minded fools. I did not serve the FNU during our Civil War so Prydania could join a family of nations that shrink away from each other in the name of 'national sovereignty.' Tell your party boss and your Lord President it's not 1830 anymore. The world thrives when we work together. If you would like proof, I would point you in the direction of the two men Prydania and Norsia put in orbit through cooperation."

"To his Highness the Prince of Gotmark" Svane continued, turning towards Harris.
"You and I have had differences, pronounced by the recent unrest in Oclusia and the Yalkan border. At the very least, Your Highness, I can say our disagreements were genuine. And not born out of nothing so autocrats could rile up the worst instincts of the electorate. To that, Your Highness, thank you. I led as Chancellor, and a leader must always cherish and honour real disagreements."

He scanned the room.
"If we're done, if we have finished this mess, we'll move to vote."

Code:
[b]December 2019 PGU Chancellor Election.[/b]

[b]Nation:[/b]

[b]Vote:[/b] < Lucie Marquette > < Prince Harris of Gotmark > < Gvyn Janusson > <Abstain>

Last edited:
Prince Harris inclined his head to the outgoing Chancellor - and also made a note to thank both him and the Malorian delegation at a later date. Eviscerating the Vallish was immensely satisfying to see. "I have been honoured to serve in this chamber under your leadership, even if we do not always agree. You are a person of immense integrity, and we lose a Chancellor I and Gotmark greatly respect. I cast Gotmark's vote thusly:"

December 2019 PGU Chancellor Election.

Nation: Gotmark

Vote: < Abstain >

Last edited:

Nation: Prydania

Vote: < Gvyn Janusson >

Nation: The Greater Ilian Coalition of the Eastern Leagues of Itrea and Icetio and the Western Regent-Kingdom of Taveris and Isalia

Vote: Prince Harris of Gotmark

~ Vote cast by Representative Aide Margret C'Lesia of Itrea on behalf of Commissioner Anastasia Olera of Ilia-Taveris

"Gvyn Janusson has received six votes. Prince Harris has received three votes. Lucie Marquette has received one vote. There are three abstentions. Ambassador Janusson has been elected."

Gvyn took a long sip from his mug, finishing the definitely completely alcohol free black coffee. He sighed, stood, and moved to the central podium.

"To Mr. Svane, I thank you for your service to the Union, and to the lovely representatives of who voted for me; I thank you for doing so. To those who did not I understand why, but I hope that we may still get along without much trouble for the betterment of the Union. I do not intend the Pan-Gotic Union to sit idle and would in fact like to make a proposition already as I believe it would be in the interests of most present nations and their representatives."

He nodded to the other Andrennian representatives in the crowd who subsequently moved to set up a slideshow on whatever screen this room had in it.

"My plan, ladies and gentlemen, is to setup multiple sub-organizations for the betterment of Gotic nations of Eras. This plan is only in the- well, the planning stages." The old man chuckled.

"I wanted to present the idea before continuing onward with this. I believe a necessary sub-organization to be the Operations Division, which would include Civil Disaster Planning, Emergency Response Planning, and other similar groups. Another couple necessary sub-organization in my eyes are the Defense Policy Division and the Joint Security and Intelligence Division. I will go into more details on these soon, but I would like to hear what sub-organizations you representatives think we should have if we should decide to create them."

Last edited:
Lucie was the first to respond:

"I cannot hide my disappointment, but I first must congratulate Mr Janusson on his democratic victory. I am extremely disappointed in how the debate leading up to this election was conducted and I believe that the Andrennian delegation was simply elected by taking advantage of this unfortunate situation. I am also disappointed that the majority of the delegates in this room failed to recognize this fact and ignored glaring problems with his campaign.

"This will be my final speech in this chamber. I have lost faith in this union to conduct civil and intelligent debate and as such, I will be returning to Highton City. I stood for the Chancellorship hoping to bring compromise and civility whilst ensuring the individual rights of every nation represented in this chamber, but clearly the PGU was not interested in such a state.

"My Deputy Ambassador, Ernst Reuter, will hold the position as Interim Ambassador of the Crowned Republic to the Pan-Gotic Union before the President chooses to send a permanent replacement. I wish everyone in this room, even those who have opposed me now and in the past, the best of luck with their future careers in and away from politics. I am sure this will not be the last time I see some of you."

She gathered her belongings and nodded as she exited the chamber.

Kjeld Svane nodded at Gvyn Janusson, staying for his speech before making his way out. He sighed a sigh of relief. He was never part of the Prydanian PGU team. He'd only been their candidate for the Chancellorship. Now he'd served his two terms and he was ready to return home. Kif Krogh had taken off too, having been recalled. He was going to work in the PM's office, back with his old boss Magnus. The job of representing Prydania would fall to someone else. Someone not so jaded by the PGU process. And it was a good thing too. The Foreign office wanted someone tough, and they got someone.

Ronnie Frost leaned back in his chair, an eye patch covering one eye. A war wound. From the scuttling of the KPS Stormurathvarf. He listened to the Hightonian ambassador respectfully, even as he longed for something else.
"I could go for a fucking cigarette" he thought.

Lucie finished and Ronnie leaned into his mic.

"I'd like, as my first act as the Kingdom of Prydania's ambassador to the Pan-Gotic Union, to thank Ambassador Lucie Marquette for her service to her country and this union."

Last edited:
A man with a briefcase comes into the chamber. He still looked as if pretty young, being in his seventies. Setting down his briefcase he began to address the members of the chamber.

“To all the delegates of this union, I’m Sir Friedrich von Pourtalès, the foreign minister for the Mintorian realm. I have been sent here on behalf of His Imperial Majesty’s Government, that is my nation’s government, to make an application for Mintoria’s admission into the Pan-Gotic Union. The history of Mintoria is long and is linked with the Aleman who arrived on Craviter in the 5th century. Mintoria has made an endeavour to strengthen their relations with foreign nations. HIM Government believes joining the PGU will be in the furtherance of this endeavour, and, in addition, joining our fellow Gotic nations in solidarity. Therefore, on behalf of HIM Government, I humbly submit our application for admission into the PGU. If there are any questions about our nation or its application, I will answer them to the best of my knowledge. I have a file containing basic basic statistics about Mintoria that I will pass out to everyone here in this chamber.”

He then opened his briefcase and pulled out the file which was passed around the chamber.

Basic statistics file:
Official name: Mintorian Realm

Capital: Dinsmark

Official language(s): Aleman

Population: 126,875,000

GDP (Nominal): 6.20 trillion IBU

Per capita: 48,875 IBU

Last edited:
Ernst knew he would only lead the Hightonian delegation for a few days, but he took the opportunity to share Highton’s position on Cimmeria’s entry.

“Highton welcome’s Cimmeria’s entry into the PGU and hopes that the rest of the Union will agree. Highton has a long history with Cimmeria and it’s entry will benefit the PGU.”

Back