Pan-Gotic Union

"Feigned outrage would include much stronger language than that we have chosen, Chancellor, despite your repeated insults towards my homeland. You may choose to see malice in the words I used but that is very much an issue you should work on privately, and not let it colour how you conduct yourself here. You choose to see subversive as a charged word. I would posit that it is not, and that if figures from Oclusia are to be believed, and Gotmark has no reason not to believe them as no others have been presented, then yes, Oclusia has been subverted. A massive increase in unemployment for one religious group for the benefit of another is evidence of subversion.

Does it make the threats of violence against innocents valid or justified? No, of course not. Just as the charged words and call to religious war by the Courantist Pope, or the accusation of pro-fascist apologetics from Valland or indeed your own slanderous accusations against myself and my homeland are not valid or justified. You should reflect on that, Chancellor, as Gotmark will reflect on the words of so-called allies spoken here today."

"I am not in the habit of believing statistics from states who engage in systemic persecutions, Your Highness."

"Did your government believe the Syndicalist Republic regime in Prydania when it justified violence against Shaddaist communities with the assertion that statistics proved that Shaddaists were heavily contributing to a black market economy? I can also read you Syndicalist government statistics justifying massacres of Courantists and Laurenists alike that assert that 'Messianist-inclined peoples' were more likely to be involved in 'criminal activities.'"

"My point is that I question all states that use statistics to justify wide-scale persecution. And as Chancellor I take my responsibilities to hold up the principles of the PGU. I do indeed view your statements as charged Your Highness, and believe that such statements need to be held to account."

Årnad listened to the debates and heated exchanges between Valland and Gotmark's ambassadors. He felt Valland had become too combative since Hellstrand took office. Somehow he was more bothered by the insistence of Harris' claims. A radical to be sure. How strange how people of the same group could be so different. Harris was a Gojan, just like Årnad. Gotmark, a country so close, yet so far. It never ceased to intrigue him. An aide pulled up a presentation on his laptop titled "Falskekorellasjonen." Spurious Correlations, in Gojan. He never understood how his aides would manage to whip such stuff up on the moment.

"Alright" he told the aides. "I'll look over it and present."

He scrolled through the slides of the Polykor PowerPresent slideshow, taking note of official figures presented by the Statistics Bureau of Goyanes. There was a readme file attached to the presentation stating: "for use to combat use of spurious correlations in official plenary sessions and negotiations."

He prepared himself and stood to speak.

"If I may give a short presentation."

An aide plugged in the laptop to a cable that displayed the contents of the screen onto the monitors in the chamber.

"I would like to show some statistical evidence here to validate some arguments. All figures are from the Statistics Bureau of Goyanes."

He changed to the next slide. Two graphs appeared overlaid on each other, one displaying divorce rates in Osanhalt, a constitute kingdom of Goyanes, and per-capita consumption of margarine. The lines followed each other perfectly.

"As you can see ladies and gentlemen, there is a perfect correlation between the divorce rate of good old Osanhalt in Goyanes, and per capita consumption of margarine. The line is the same. At almost all points along the line the derivative is almost equal."

He clicked over to the next slide, which showed suicide rates in Goyanes, and lawers' certifications awarded to law school students. Once again, the lines were almost mirror images of each other.

"Another correlation here, suicide counts in Goyanes, which have regrettably increased, and grantings of law practicing licenses. They have increased at the same rate and at the same time. Perfect correlation."

Årnad cycled through the presentation, exhausting a list of about 15 spurious correlations. He was sure the members of the assembly got the message.

"And what are the solutions to these correlations, many of which are negative. If we were to follow the line of thinking of our friends in Oclusia, maybe we would consider lowering the suicide rate by stopping people from practicing law, or maybe returning the sanctity of marriage to Osanhalt by banning margarine. But obviously this is not true. These are what are called spurious correlations. They just happen to coincide. Factors that are completely unrelated."

He sipped his glass of water, finishing it off. He was going to have to pee in about 15 minutes, he knew it.

"And that's what we are seeing in Oclusia. The majority of citizens, who happen to be Courantist, have a lower unemployment rate than those who happen to be Orthodox. And the minority government in power has chosen to obey this spurious correlation and instead of taking the sensible approach of promoting jobs marketplaces, providing social welfare programs, or opening vocational training programs. Instead the president chose to explicitly target people of the Courantist faith, pushing policies that single them out, limit their freedom of movement, and threaten to kill them if they choose to leave to seek better opportunity. This would never be acceptable anywhere else."

He looked at his glass. No more water.

"What the pope has said is irrelevant. We have a government on our hands that is pursuing tactics used by the worst regimes we have seen in recent history. This is not a holy war or a crusade. This is common sense. We need to do something about this before people start needlesly dying. We need to support these refugees in this time of need. I yield."

He sat back down. His urge to pee started to tickle.

Jaevar Stauffenberg ignored the ongoing bickering and insults. Just more northern politics really. And they thought of themselves as the more civilized. He snorted in disgust, hiding his scowl behind his hand. He waited until the angry squabbling came to a break, and decided now would be a good chance to intervene.

He’d had enough time to receive detailed instructions on how to proceed. While the rest of these fools were trying to tear each other down with words he’d been sending updates back home via his aides, and now he had a pretty good idea of how to proceed.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” he said loudly, standing up so that everyone knew he was speaking. “I know very little about these differences between Messianist sects. There are few practitioners of that religion in the Vestrugat. What is the difference between a courantist and an orthodox? At the risk of sounding callous, I have no understanding of this divide and the hatred it appears to cause. That’s not to say I’m unfamiliar with the petty differences of religious interpretation. Aelostianism has had its share.

“What I do know, though, is that outside intervention will only further fan the fires of religious intolerance. One side feels wronged, and putting military resources on their border will only serve in justifying their intolerance. More lives will be lost in this way.”

He cleared his throat, but continued talking again quickly lest he be interrupted. “Should we provide aid for refugees? Yes. Should we help our brothers in Yalkan should this humanitarian crisis become too much for their own personnel to handle? Yes. Should we condemn the government of Oclusia? No.

“That seems the most pertinent thing to do though. Let them and the world know intolerance will not be tolerated. Throw sanctions against them until they comply. And what we will achieve will be nothing except create more anger and intolerance. The cause of the problem, the root, will still be there. All we will do is pass this conflict further into the future, down onto the next generation or the next.

“Let us first offer an olive branch to the Oclusians. Let us sit down with them, offer other solutions. Talk. They have only yet given rhetoric of intolerance. Let us give them other options before their actions become irreversible. Let us act upon our dogma of peace, instead of paying lip service to it.

“The Vestrugat will not support any aggressive approach, unless we have tried a neighborly one first.”

He then sat back down and awaited the replies to follow.

Magnar stood up and slammed his fist on the table

'What Cowardly Unhorsed talk is this! You speak of Olive Branches while they threaten their citizens with curfew and execution!? The refugees drowning in the Meterran sea will surely thank you for your attempts to appease their murderers!'

Magnar was in his seventies but in that moment he felt as though he was once again in his prime, the news of refugees drowning in the sea had only recently begun to filter in and already outrage was growing.

'If the Vestrugat wishes to talk with these swine like infirm in a sweat lodge then they may do so, Essalanea will back those who wish to act!'

Last edited:
"Valland wholeheartedly seconds the statement of the Essalanean delegate. I believe enough has been said about sanctions, however, so I will not say more myself lest the discussion become circular." Christina replied. "But, I will say this in regards to one point you made, Mr. Stauffenberg- Oclusia has not merely given rhetoric of intolerance."

Christina, similar to how Årnad put up his presentation, put up a piece of media of her own- an excerpt from the Oclusian President's speech the day before.

"Businesses that are run by Courantists should be labeled and such and it will have a certain and appropriate curfew on it." stated Lyovkin Yermolayevich, as the world watched. "Curfew for most Courantist businesses should be 20:00 sharp. A curfew on all Courantists will also be in place. All Courantists should be back in their homes at precisely 21:00. Any later will be met with an arrest. All homes of Courantists are subject to be searched without a warrant. This is to make sure that illegal substances are not being upheld in homes."

Christina turned back to Jaevar. "This is not rhetoric." she stated, plainly. "This is law. This is institutionalized discrimination. These are no mere threats- this is happening, sir."

"Ambassador Stauffenberg" Svane began, "I do not wish to hinder your own personal education as to the distinctions between Orthodox and Courantist Messianism. I would argue, however, that such discussions are relatively immaterial here. The Oclusian government's rhetoric and justifications have not yet cited religious differences as a justification for their discriminatory policies. This is not a crisis born out of schismatic squabbles. It is simply the result of an opportunistic Oclusian regime looking to scapegoat another sector of their society for their own internal issues. Faith, if I may be so bold Ambassador, does not factor into it. We've seen this sad story play out time and again. The oppressors and victims change, but the rationale is always the same. Faith only seems to matter here regarding those who seem to hold undue prejudices against the Courantist faith."

"I would like to ask a rhetorical question, however, in response to your other points. 'At what junction is state-sponsored terrorism no longer deemed acceptable?'"

"I would argue, as would His Majesty's Prydanian government, that no amount of state-sponsored terrorism against a native populace is ever acceptable. And the Prydanian perspective, Ambassador Stauffenberg, is informed by very real experience in the matter" he said, staring coldly at the VF representative.

"And yet by arguing that we should hold off on any meaningful action we send a message to the Oclusians that we approve of what they're doing. That they can marginalize, disposes, and even threaten to kill their own citizens for reasons no greater than one's personal faith and they will be met with open arms and an understanding and sympathetic ear."

"Ambassador Stauffenberg, you and the Gotmark delegation have made a lot of hay out of championing this alliance's founding principles. And yet I would say that pretty words are cheap. It's easy for you, His Highness the Prince, myself, or any one of us, to claim we stand for the high minded ideals of our charter. It is easy for our government to say we support these principles."

"Pretty words though, are cheap as I said. The true tests of ideals is what you do when someone challenges them. When a state dares to say 'we will disposes, oppress, and threaten people and deprive them of their humanity' it falls on us to move beyond pretty words. It falls to us to stand firm to commit to our principles and say 'no. That is not ok, and we will stand in opposition to you.'"

"That is why I support a pro-active approach, Ambassador Stauffenberg, and why I must hold it up as an alternative to your government's own proposal. This alliance has enjoyed an easy road for too long. Now we face challenges to our dearly held values. Will we shy away from standing up for them or will we stand tall?"

"I do not pretend to see the future, Ambassador, but I cannot in good conscience support a plan of action that will not even offer a spineless condemnation. I'm sorry. I know you believe it is in keeping with our founding principles but to me? To me it seems like an abandonment of them."

”The true tests of ideals is what you do when someone challenges them,” Jaevar said, quoting Svane. “Truer words have never been spoken. What are ideals if we cast them aside whenever we believe ourselves to be justified? I believe in the founding principles of this alliance. So too does Emperor Sherwin and High Chancellor Kolta. Whatever is decided here, the Vestrugat will not sway from those principles. We will stand behind our ideals even against the disagreement of all of Eras. I’d expect nothing less from any of you. Words will not change anything here. I have nothing further to say.”

Last edited:
The Xentheridan delegate finally stepped in. “This debate is all very well and good, but the time for action to provide help is now. I would like to shift this discussion onto the short term assistance that we can provide for refugees fleeing into Yalkan? I’ve communicated with my government on the issue and they have proposed three hundred peacekeepers and aid workers are able to be flown to Yalkan within a week, along with enough tents and supplies for approximately two thousand refugees. More supplies would be able to be brought into Yalkan as the month progresses, and we should be able to bring in a hospital ship, loaded with supplies, along with about two thousand aid workers and refugees and yet more supplies. I would like to hear the short term contributions that other PGU nations are able to volunteer, and also whether we could work together to extend this aid work to other nations that border Oclusia, granting they accept, first.”

“Additionally, could the representative from Yalkan possibly enlighten us on the main points from which Courantists are crossing the border from, and what logistical facilities are nearby that could facilitate a larger refugee care centre?”

Last edited:
"Considering our population, we'll be open to do ten flights of 200 people per week." Christina replied. "We'll also be able to serve, if necessary, as a supply dump for nations helping the refugees, as we're one of the closest countries to Yalkan without having to cross the ocean."

Last edited:
"Currently Ilia and its constituent states can only support refugee aid to Yalkan. Our senate is currently concerned about inflaming tensions and giving this state a reason to strike Yalkan out of fear that the PGU is taking position to strike at them. And due to the proximity of of the Yalkish state to Ilia we believe stationing troops in Yalkan is not only provocative but unnecessary, it is our position that our UITM can provide the security guarantees from its military bases in Icetia without the need to mass troops on the Oclusian Border."

Representative Yulen a nervous looking man who took over the position of Assistant from Taveris after Martin Hakkert, sits with a stack of papers from the Ilian Foreign Directorate. He takes a sip of water clearing his throat before continuing.

"But due to the proximity of Ilia to Yalkan, the Ilian Senate can provide guarantees for the use of the Ports of Pamera and Nicasa along with a number of Airfields for the use in supply transportation and refugee resettlement."

Årnad decided to chime in, after receiving approval from the officials in Gojannesstad.

"Regarding both short- and long-term plans for transport and relocation of refugees, Goyanes would like to submit both its facilities and the nation as a place to harbor the refugees. Goyanes has the port capacity needed for sealift operations, and regarding long-term operations, Goyanes has the benefit of being a large, Courantist-majority nation, with much economic opportunity. This would help assimilation and reintegration into society. In the long term, I feel that relocation to Goyanes, would be the most beneficial course of action. I yield."

"To add on to what the Goyanean delegation has said, Highton is prepared to accept Courantist refugees if it is necessary, and accommodations can be made for permanent relocation if the refugees wish. Highton may be a suitable location for refugees due to the Aleman language, something which is widely spoken as a second language in Oclusia."

Løfgren still reading figures ,just handed to him by an aid, stood.

"Since the announcement made by President Yermolayevich of Oclusia there has been 311 successful crossings over our eastern land border. There have been many more attempts that have failed. So far the highest points of activity has been the Ceskile Border Crossing east of Ætiltar and Sten's Crossing east of Stenburg. As for facilities, each border crossing in Yalkan has a military compound able to accommodate a battalion of our border personnel, so thus far water and habitation is available. However, if this rate continues we will be overwhelmed in a matter of weeks. Relocation would be the most optimal option as we do not have viable plan for long term well-being of these refugees financially or otherwise. Once more I must extend our gratitude to any that would help us help these displaced peoples. We will gladly accept any aid and personnel."

He sat back down deflating into his seat.

After hearing other PGU nations put forward their willingness to take in Oclusian refugees, Henry Romson felt that he needed to make Ulstome's willingness to help even if it would be dismissed.

"To again add on what others here have said, Ulstome as said earlier is more than willing to provide itself as a place of residence for as many refugees as we are needed to take in. Despite that we lack the courantist faith as a large faith of our nation as many PGU nation do, we are to no extent an intolerant nation and Ulstome and her people would welcome every single one of them with open arms as if our own. Ulstome already has much of the infrastructure in place to accommodate and support them upon their arrival in Ulstome, they would be able to have the same access to our National Health Service as any of our own people, we would provide them with suitable housing that would allow communities to stay together and they would be entitled to seek work if they so choose to, if they are unable to then they would have the full security of our developed welfare system and they would always have the option of long term residency and eventual citizenship if they so wished. Furthermore I have received information that Ulstome would be able to transport several thousand Refugees by air each week to Ulstome and thousands upon thousands more can be transported by ship. These journeys would allow Ulstome to bring supplies to Yalkan to assist in humanitarian efforts aswell as the transport of refugees to the security of Ulstome. Ulstome understands however if it is not considered a main choice for the relocation."

'Essalanea is not a rich nation by the standards of this assembly but we have an immense amount of land that we are willing to utilise in the provision of asylum for fleeing refugees, if the situation grows to a point where it is necessary the Hureg Confederacy in southern Essalanea has agreed to set aside a portion of land which could be used to establish refugee camps, we are willing to take up to 10,000 initially'

“Fantastic.” Mats said. “The greater the number of contributions, the better; with more nations volunteering some assistance, it lowers the burden amongst others as well. Ultimately, I would consider it to be the refugees’ choice as to where they individually wish to be temporarily relocated to. Xentherida is also able to relocate displaced Oclusian Courantist refugees within its nation; ultimately, the numerous current Xentheridan facilities could host a total of about a hundred thousand over the next few months, should the crisis continue to escalate further.”

“As to Xentheridan aid on the ground; we are able to also set aside numerous cargo planes and also a couple of cargo ships for the logistical aspect of Yalkan-based aid programs for the refugees; we would also be able to charter flights from commercial airlines, including those for other nations looking to relocate refugees to them but lack the means for a large relocation method. If Yalkan is able to provide a sort of coach service, ferrying those from temporary camps to a nearby airport for more long-term relocation, that would help efforts yet more.”

Kif Krogh had remained silent through the debate. He technically remained Prydania's ambassador to the PGU, though he'd allowed Svane as Chancellor to promote their government's position. Instead he'd passed notes onto his aids, who had sent the reports on the meeting's progression back home.

He sat silently as the debate went on when a member of the Prydanian team entered the room quietly to hand him a folder. Krogh rifled through its contents, quickly reading before taking a sip of water and clearing his throat.

"I would like to bring the assembly's attention to some information I have recently been handed. This body has debated the merits of sending task forces and humanitarian missions to Yalkan. We've discussed the positives and negatives of condemnations and sanctions. His Highness the Prince of Gotmark has reminded us all that according to certain interpretations Pope John IX's words could be seen as a call for war."

He took another sip of water. He wasn't a bulldog like Svane when it came to debate, but it did fall on him now to promote his government's position.
"To His Highness the Prince I would only ask where are the hordes of Courantist crusaders ready to invade Oclusia? As of yet no such army has formed. I only raise that question, both to His Highness and others here to promote a more cautious approach, because the Pope's words are theoretical, and it appears we have left the realm of the theoretical."

"The Pope's crusader horde ready to break the peace of northern Meterra isn't real. What is real, however, are reports I have been handed. From our ÖSU intelligence operatives as well as from independent Prydanian media outlets operating in this conflict's hot zone. Reports indicating that the Oclusian government is detaining children and has already engaged in state-sponsored murder of its own citizenry. The Oclusian state has even resorted to classifying Courantist children, yes children, as terrorists. This actually is in violation of Oclusian law...or I suppose it used to be before the Oclusian government decided that fair treatment under the law no longer applied to Courantists."

"I don't wish to denigrate my country too much, ladies and gentlemen, but if the ÖSU and Prydanian media have these reports? So do your people. I advise you check with them."

He sighed.
"And it's because of this that I must insist on the plan of action Chancellor Svane proposed. The situation is escalating quickly. While the anti-Oclusian crusaders our Gotmark friends have warned us about remain imaginary, real Oclusian soldiers are killing Courantists and holding Courantist children in detention cells under the guise of them being 'terrorists.' The situation has escalated beyond the time for peaceful dialogue, in my government's opinion. Soldiers are needed in Yalkan to help protect their sovereignty and to help protect the lives of those attempting to cross into its territory. Because we know now that the Oclusian government's threat of violence is no longer theoretical."

Svane leaned over to whisper to one of his aids before leaning in.
"The Chancellorship would like to see these reports."

One of Krogh's assistants took the the folder to the Chancellor, promoting a soft "thank you" from Svane. He began to read through diligently before speaking.

"I would like to make these available for the Assembly as a whole, and I would echo my countryman's suggestion that you all confirm them with your own people. The contents are troubling."

Last edited:
As Krogh displayed his evidense from the OSU, Årnad had an aide contact the URD, Goyanes' foreign intel service. The Goyaneans kept a URD operative in the visitors gallery so that they could be kept up to date on geopolitical situations. The URD operative in the gallery checked his Polykor, then exited the room.

He dialed an obscure number. It was Goyanean, but the area code wasn't in Gojannesstad, where the URD's HQ is. It was surely some other facility.

"Have you put the pudding in the fridge," asked the person on the line.

"Yes honey, but I had to get some more cups," he replied.

"What time should it be done," asked the other end.

"1523 hours," he replied, followed by the sound of the line being collected to another party.

"Yes, Agent?"

"I need confirmation on the following: Occlusians registering children as terrorists, detention of children, and murder of innocents."

"One moment." The moment lasted about a minute, before the operator replied, stating that "yes, I can confirm all three conditions. More details to come in the brief for tonight."

"Thank You." The agent hung up the line and walked back in. He stared the aide dead on in the eye, and nodded. The aide then confirmed to Årnad what he'd heard.

Årnad stood.

"After a query made with Gojannesstad, I can confirm these reports. It is extremely troubling that such things have been happening. I don't think it would be hyperbole to assume we have a holocaust in its early stages. I think we must expedite the refugee processing system to assure we can save as many as we can, and begin more closely monitoring the situation. I yield."

"When it comes down to it. I am a mid-level civil servant in the Foreign Directorate who took over my post a few weeks ago. I can not confirm these allegations, nor do I have the ability to contact the right people in my government to get a quick response. As such I am bound to the supporting documentation provided by my government while Commissioner Olera is in Ilia. As such I must vote against any military actions."

Representative Yulen sits back down to his laptop so he can do the only thing he can, log into the Foreign Directorate's portal and flag several messages to the Defense Directorate's Attache for the PGU and to the Commissioner.

"Due to the escalation of the actions on the Oclusians, Gotmark will not longer be opposing military action. We do not regret our caution, as it was warranted at the time - and despite the hypocrisy and attempted bullying of our delegation by the chair and others here, we stand by our comments. Gotmark will be deploying its forces as part of a combined PGU-task force and will fully commit to actions designed to lessen the danger to innocents.

We do not accept that any of our actions, however, were unwarranted - and we will be reviewing just how closely we co-operate with some of those here. I would be surprised if we maintained as close ties to Valland as we currently do, considering their rush to fascist tactics displayed here. Whilst Hellstrand remains willing to jeopardise international peace for a few points on an opinion poll, Gotmark cannot work with them."

"After reviewing the tragic events of recent times which have occurred in Oclusia, It is no longer the view of Ulstome that Military action would have the PGU viewed as aggressors. Now it is the view of Ulstome that more be done by all members to ensure that this menace to the innocent courantist and international people is put a stop to as soon as possible. Our belief that this situation could be solved peacefully, that through sanction and diplomatic pressure we would be able to get the Oclusian government to reverse its course of action and embrace all its people as equals, was simply to optimistic and so we apologise to you all for our hesitance for solid and firm military action.

I will however make clear Ulstome's new position on this matter. In light of all the recent events, we will support any and all military action against Oclusia, we will send forces to fight in a PGU task force, to bring about the end of injustice and persecution in Oclusia. Ulstome is ready to put its navy on standby and to send several of its divisions to assist in carrying out the objectives of the PGU task force."

Svane could picture it. His apartment. On the couch with his wife. Watching television. The yapping here over and done with. Maybe a a nice warm bath? He sighed. No. Not yet. Not yet. There was still work to be done.

"The situation in Oclusia, and as it relates to PGU member states Ulstome and Yalkan demands immediate action. In my final act as Chancellor of the PGU before I am required to call for elections I propose the following votes."

Code:
[b]Send a PGU Humanitarian Task Force to Yalkan[/b]

[b]Nation:[/b]

[b]Vote:[/b] < Yea > < Nay >

Code:
[b]Send a PGU Joint Military Task Force to Yalkan as a Defensive Measure[/b]

Code:
[b]A Vote for PGU-Wide Economic Sanctions Against the Democratic Republic of Oclusia[/b]

Code:
[b]A Vote to Condemn the Democratic Republic of Oclusia on the grounds of religious discrimination and human rights violations[/b]

We froze the votes due to people not having a chance to have their say. And since then the parent thread of this storyline has sped up. As everyone has said their piece? Votes will now be unfrozen. Here are the votes of everyone before the frozen period. If any of the people quoted here would like to change their vote? Please DM me and I will edit this post to reflect updated votes.

Send a PGU Humanitarian Task Force to Yalkan

Nation: Gotmark

Vote: < Yea >

Send a PGU Joint Military Task Force to Yalkan as a Defensive Measure

Vote: < Aye >

A Vote for PGU-Wide Economic Sanctions Against the Democratic Republic of Oclusia

Vote: < Nay >

A Vote to Condemn the Democratic Republic of Oclusia on the grounds of religious discrimination and human rights violations

Nation: Valland

A Vote for PGU-Wide Economic Sanctions Against the Democratic Republic of Oclusia

A Vote to Condemn the Democratic Republic of Oclusia on the grounds of religious discrimination and human rights violations

Nation: Prydania

Nation:United Kingdom of Ulstome

Edit log
Syrixia has requested I change Valland's vote on a military task force from Nay to Yea
British Bayonet has asked me to change Ulstome's vote on a military task force from Nay to Yea

Last edited:

Nation: Goyanes

Nation: The Crowned Republic of Highton

Code:

Nation: The Crowned Republic of Highton

Code:

Nation: the Crowned Republic of Highton

Code:

Nation: the Crowned Republic of Highton

The
Nation: Imp. Vestrugat Federation

Nation: Ilia-Taveris

Vote: Aye

Vote: Nay

Vote: Nay

Vote: Aye

Last edited:

Nation: Xentherida

Nation: Yalkan

Nation: Andrenne

Nation: United Clans of Essalanea

Nation: Malor-Kanada

"The resolution to send a PGU humanitarian task force to Yalkan tallies 13 yeas, 0 nays, and 0 abstentions. The resolution passes."

bangs gavel

"The resolution to send a PGU military task force tallies 10 yeas, 3 nays, and 0 abstentions. The resolution passes."

bangs gavel

"The resolution to impose PGU sanctions against the Democratic Republic of Oclusia tallies 9 yeas, 4 nays, and 0 abstentions. The resolution passes."

bangs gavel

"The resolution to condemn the Democratic Republic of Oclusia tallies 12 yeas, 1 nay, and 0 abstentions. The resolution passes."

bangs gavel

Last edited:
Kjeld Svane sighed as he sorted his papers. The Oclusion situation had been quite a note to end his term on, but end it has.

"I would like to announce that it is time to hold the election for Chancellor of this Union. I will be stepping down, having served my term limit. It was an honour, both to represent my nation and represent this Union. Though some found faults with my leadership style I stand by all that I did. The PGU is something I believe in, to be a force for good amongst all of our nations. I believe this was exemplified by the fact that we were able to get Goyanes, Andrenne, and the Ajovulkan people to the same table to hammer out a fair and equitable solution to the sovereignty issue. If all people say of my time as PGU Chancellor is that I helped make this happen? Then I am proud of the work I did here."

"With that said, the time to move on is at hand. I open the floor to nominations for the position of PGU Chancellor."

"Fellow delegates," Christina Driessen, Valland's PGU Council delegate, stated. "If the last session this council had, regarding the Oclusian crisis, shows us anything, it is that we need a leader who will represent the interests of all of us; one who builds bridges and acts to make compromises. For that purpose, I will be frank with you all that my country will not be running for the Chancellorship; nor will we vote for any who took a strong part in last session's deliberations as we did."

"Instead," Christina continued, "we have chosen to support a candidate who we believe can fill that part for us all. That candidate..." Christina turned her gaze to the Hightonian delegation. "is the honorable delegate from Highton, Ms. Lucie Marquette." Christina briefly paused. "This is not a nomination we make lightly, but Ms. Marquette has assured us that a PGU under her chancellorship will remain as a forum for and amongst Gotic nations."

"A Marquette chancellorship, so we have been promised, will not overreach its bounds but will instead work to ensure the protection of its members' national sovereignty and to create compromise amongst members rather than pushing for certain agendae, with the exception of cases in which moral virtue demands it."

"These are values the people of Valland can support and we urge our fellow members to do so as well. For that reason we nominate Ms. Marquette to the chancellorship of this alliance."

"One does wonder what exactly was promised behind closed doors by the Hightonians to the Vallish... and whether it's the Vallish writing the Hightonian agenda, considering how the former used so many words and the latter used so few. It is very interesting indeed. Perhaps the current Chancellor should look into it, but I can only make suggestions. There is, actually, one other thing I can do."

Prince Harris stood, a surprise to the rest of the Gotmark delegation. "I can stand for Chancellorship myself - and I do it on three basis - transparency, Gotmark does not make backroom deals to subvert this chamber and the decisions that should be made here. On progression, the PGU has many irons in the fire, but it is time that those irons were finished forging. It is time to take our foundations and move on to building this Union into something more than just a collection of nations. We have standardisation in some areas, but we can go further. We can and should work on furthering our environmental and economic agenda - but also seeking out areas where our differences make sense, and maintaining them. Ever closer union is not an ideal I abide by - nor is it one Gotmark would like me to push, but we can push the PGU to be closer in specific areas.

And the final plank of our platform is fairly simple - reform of the Chancellorship. Under a Chancellorship I lead, I will seek to remove the politicised parts of the role, with either a rotating chancellorship or changing the role to be one filled by bureaucrats, chosen from the fledgling bureaucracy we have already created with the resolutions we have passed. This would allow us to better fill our time here with more relevant work, rather than pausing to hold an election that many in our home nations care little for.

It is my hope that I can count on the confidence of all delegations that value transparency and openness in these endeavours. Thank you."

"We both know secrets cannot be kept here, nor is that our business." Christina retorted calmly, yet coldly. "What has already been said was all that was. Talk to the security detail that guards this building and go through the footage if you are so inclined. Or perhaps the current Chancellor would rather insist the honorable delegate from Gotmark not waste everyone's time with conspiracy theory, but I can only make suggestions."

"It has become clear that the delegates assembled have a choice to make here today. The first option which has been presented is one which maintains a system that has served us well for nearly three years, and not only this, but to emphasize within said system the importance of basic national sovereignty and civil, compromisal negotiation."

"The second, which has just been proposed, would have us follow in the footsteps of the ill-fated Phoenix Union, which dissolved last year! In pursuit of vague ideals, this second proposal would take the decision we are making here today out of our hands; the hands of the sovereign member states of this alliance, and into the hands of a supranational bureaucracy."

"I agree with the honorable delegate from Gotmark that ever closer union is not ideal, and I thank him for his honesty. Yet, despite our agreement on this matter, his proposal reflects the opposite. A prospective chancellor who praises transparency and openness should not be putting forward a proposal to enact a supranational bureaucracy at the expense of sovereign states."

"Such a thing would be quite counterproductive to said values. We cannot, therefore, support this candidacy in good conscience, and it is our hope that our fellow members share this sentiment, and a commitment to stop this alliance from signing itself away to the very politics this new proposal claims to want to cleanse it of."

Last edited:
Harris barely looked in the direction of the Vallish. "I thank the Vallander delegation for such an illuminating interjection on behalf of their candidate, but one does wonder at why they jumped immediately to the idea that we were proposing a conspiracy theory, and not a simple quid pro quo. They said themselves in their nomination of Ms. Marquette that Highton had promised Valland certain things. That the Vallish have jumped so immediately on the defensive should be taken, dellow felegates, to be quite interesting indeed.

And perhaps indicative of a guilty conscience. I hope the Hightonian delegation will come forward and clarify exactly what was offered to Valland and how such a thing needed private, closed doors discussions to decide." Prince Harris took a sip of pink grapefruit juice. "I recall that a notable wine cave frequented by some delegates was fully booked recently. Most interesting indeed"

Back