Special Edition - Part I

Southern Journal
Issue XX, Special Election Edition Part 1
March 2, 2017

Stories
I.Spring 2017 Election Results
II. Interview with Tsunamy, Delegate of The South Pacific
III. Visitor's Account: The South Pacific at the Nation States World Fair
IV. TSP Winter 2016 Cabinet Exit Interviews - Roavin, Minister of Military Affairs
V. TSP Winter 2016 Cabinet Exit Interviews - SJS Republic / Sam111, Minister of Foreign Affairs
VI. Assembly in a Debate over APC-TIL deal; Roavin backs out of MoFA race
VII. Personalities Win Big at the South Pacific Coconut Awards 2017

Editor-in-Chief: Seraph
Director of Journalism: Escade
Writing Staff: Escade[/nation], Spenty
Publisher: Kringalia
Stories

TOP STORY: DELEGATE ELECTION IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC

On January 15, 2017 the official TSP Delegate election results were announced on the forums and RMB. Incumbent, Tsunamy, won the election in a landslide with 86 votes from WA nations in the region. Sandaoguo / Glen-Rhodes received 23 WA votes.

The RMB WA voting phase for the Delegate position, now a six month term, is a new process in TSP that began last summer after the Great Council and followed the first phase which was an IRV vote on the forums. The use of IRV confused some voters and during the election an Assembly debate began in which many voters, including candidates, supported switching to a more suitable system for choosing two candidates such as STV. It remains to be seen whether the system will be changed.

The new system and changes to the delegate position have really transitioned the position from one of political leadership to one, first and foremost, for the security of the region, but also as a social figurehead. The Southern Journal interviewed both Tsunamy and Sandaoguo / Glen-Rhodes about the changes that have occurred in governance in the South Pacific over the course of the past two years.

Interview with Tsunamy, Delegate of The South Pacific

How do you feel about winning the election?

It's great. We had a lot of interest in this election and I'm really honored to have won the trust of the region again.

How long have you been in TSP? How is today different from when you started? What do you like most about what has changed? What do you remember nostalgically from the past?

I've been in TSP for my entire existence in NS, which started in 2003. There were a couple years where I stepped away, but I've been consistently back since 2013.

I think the biggest change is just the development throughout. I mean, in 2003 we really didn't [know] where this was going to go or even how long the game was going to last. Since it was really just a marketing ploy, I don't think anyone thought it would last this long. So really the growth into regions with specific and long-lasting identities and relationships really changed the face of the game.

There have also been developments in the platform which has certainly changed the game, such as the adoption of influence, which wasn't around in 2003.

I'm not sure if there's something I remember nostalgically, per se, but one of my favorite memories was the Milo coup of the region. It really exemplified the region and how people care about it when big names from the past came back to help out.

How do you see the next six months unfolding under your delegacy?

I hope the next six months will be relatively stable and uneventful. With the changes made to the role of the delegate, I don't have a lot of political power so really my role is to hold down the fort so DM (or whoever the PM is) can take the lead.

What do you believe are the roles and responsibilities of delegates?

That's a good question since it's currently in flux. I see the delegate role, I suppose, mostly as a good host. Someone friendly and willing to direct people and mix it up when needed. But really, just someone making it possible for others to do what they want in the region and game.

Several new players would love to be delegate of TSP, what do you think about this? Is the delegate position becoming a security position rather than a position for new people?

So, it would never have been my preference of the delegate to be elected. The position has so much power and potential to upend the community that I think democratically electing the delegate was/is always a risky venture. That's not to say that the delegacy shouldn't change hands, but it's important for the delegate to be someone with long-term trust in the region and who we know isn't going to attempt to usurp the laws and such of the region. Unlike UCRs where a founder can take control, we don't have the option. As such, we need to be a bit more careful about who takes the position. I've had new nations TG me about how they can become delegate and my answer is always the same -- start out in other positions and build some knowledge and trust before you take on being delegate.

Would you ever support term limits on becoming delegate?

I'm not sure. One of the things I struggled with this last election was when is it time for me to step aside to let new blood into the seat. Of course, I'm a huge fan of Fudgie who was delegate for more than three years. I think if people are happy with the way things are going, do we really want to force the risk and the change?

One thing I liked about the old system was the vice-delegate position...do you think it might make a comeback at some point?

I doubt it. It seems completely unneeded. I had two vice delegates during my first turn at delegate and, while both were great, at times there just wasn't a lot for them to do.

How did you like the NS World Fair? Did you get your fortune told, a tattoo, or a drink in TSP’s regional booth :P?

I've been exploring. It seems like a great time. I hope to get to explore more.

What was your NSWF lecture about?

I'm hoping to use my lecture for the basis of a research project. Essentially, I've been thinking a lot about how people develop their identities in game, how that differs (or doesn't) from the RL personality, and how that affects what region they end up in. I hope the lecture will be a bit about how others understand their in-game personality separate from their NS personas.

Finally, what is one question I haven’t asked that you’d like to answer?

My favorite spice is cinnamon. :D

Yum, now I’m thinking of cinnamon rolls :P

VISITOR'S ACCOUNT: The South Pacific at the Nation States World Fair

This year the South Pacific partook in the Nation States World Fair, hosted by Todd McCloud and Almo, and had a regional booth that showed off our particular talents to a host of other regions including the major feeders and sinkers. There was some political controversy before NSWF even began due to the founder of The Allied States sending an immature and offensive message, that referenced Hitler, to the delegate of Europeia. Several regions threatened to boycott the fair before the host was changed.

TSP's booth included the classic Lampshade Bar and Grill which was the site of some unruly shenanigans; MS Paint Art requests by Roavin, who was in high demand; and Imki's Inks, where Imki / Imkihca / Imkitopia created custom tattoos. There was also Cake-onut or Pie-napple where cake won 9 to 7. Seraph / Erinor shared an excerpt from the popular TSP horror story The House of Lampshades, Escade told NSers their fortunes. And the one line collaborative story A Night in the South Pacific turned into a horror story very quickly.

Delegate and prominent TSPer Tsunamy gave a lecture titled “Questions of Identity: How do we become 'us' in NationStates?” Tsunamy hopes to conduct a large scale interdisciplinary communications project that examines the relationship between identities and personas in NationStates.

Local Council leader Belschaft gave a lecture titled “Making Government Accountable: Polls, Dispatches and Regional Affairs.” Belschaft stated that, “We have the same old decision making process, the same old power structures. While we have new tools that allow us to organise our community differently, in a way that improves accountability and allows more people to have a say, we haven't done that.” The lecture marks a shift in Belschaft’s views on the role and centrality of of government over the past few years.

When I (Escade) first entered TSP, in April of 2013, the region focused on forum government to the exclusivity of the RMB. Interactions between the government and the game side community were minimal and relegated to telegrams regarding endorsements. Now we see a healthier balance where delegate Tsunamy serves to meet and greet players along with cabinet members and prominent forum users.

Finally, the outstanding thread from which to steal for our regional forum, from this year's NSWF, was UCR Forest's Fortunately / Unfortunately thread which was a delightful variation on the one line collaborative story. In addition, Forest is one of the small UCRs that has a great map, timeline of history and a very dedicated cultural theme.

Overall, the fair did seem more subdued this year but this may be a result of a confluence of factors including the associated drama and the timing. Like always, however, the fair is a fun and fresh way to meet people in other regions and to display the best and brightest of your own.

TSP Winter 2016 Cabinet Exit Interviews - Roavin, Minister of Military Affairs

As elections are complete in TSP for the Spring 2017 term, we interview exiting cabinet members about their terms.

When did you start in NS? How did you get into TSP?

Roavin was founded on April 5, 2016 - right here in the South Pacific! I was accepted very graciously into the community by a variety of people, and even though I looked around a bit to see what other places looked like, nothing was even close to feeling like "home" like the South Pacific did. So, I stayed here, and I don't regret it one bit.

What is your current position? Have you held any other positions in the TSP government?

Currently, I'm the Minister of Military Affairs, a job that (I think) suits me pretty well. Previously, I was the Minister of Regional Affairs, but a pretty bad one at that.

What do you think the role of the Minister of Military Affairs is? What are qualities that make a good MoMA? What kinds of experiences should a MoMA have?

The Minister of Military Affairs is the civilian leader of the South Pacific Special Forces. Next to being on the General Corps ex officio when it comes to making decisions regarding both day-to-day and longer term operation of the military, the minister works on recruitment, the roster, coordination with the MoFA, and other "paperwork" duties.

Actual experience in gameplay isn't necessary, that's what the General Corps is there for, but a good MoMA absolutely needs to exude good leadership. As we have it set up in our laws, actually participating in military operations is optional for a MoMA, but in practice I'd argue that it's good leadership when the leader is in the trench fighting with the others. Furthermore, each soldier is different - they should all be held to the same standard, but there's wiggle room in how to get them there, and a good leader will try to tickle the best out of each in whichever way fits best for that individual.

What are some of your key accomplishments this term?

While I was unfortunately not able to expand the roster of SPSF as I would have liked, I'm quite pleased that the people that we do have are dedicated, and very good at what they do. Barely any defensive operations in the past months happened without SPSF contributions in some form.

What projects or goals that you would still like to implement in the future?

Well, my term is almost over and I'm not seeking reelection, so I'm unlikely to be able to! I hope for my successor to implement better training facilities and in general increase the size of our roster.

In terms of Military Affairs, what are your views on military alignment in TSP?

Primarily defensive, but offensive against hate - that's what I laid out in my campaign and we've been doing that pretty well. I believe that is the way for TSP to move forward as well. By not succumbing to the false claims of "independence" that would have militaries not pick a side for fear of offending anybody, we have picked a side and therefore have much more activity than we would otherwise, just as I predicted.

Is there anything you would like to share about your experiences as MoMA?

It's a wonderful feeling when a fellow SPSF soldier gets the Delegacy during a liberation with a bunch of other people. But in general, there are many, many wonderful experiences that I've made in this time, too many to list, and I'll surely shed a virtual tear on my last day when I pass on the reigns to my successor.

Anything that I didn't ask, that you would like to comment on?

Motivating pilers can be frustrating. :P

TSP Winter 2016 Cabinet Exit Interviews - SJS Republic / Sam111, Minister of Foreign Affairs

As elections are complete in TSP for the Spring 2017 term, we interview exiting cabinet members about their terms.

When did you start in NS? How did you get into TSP?

I first joined when I saw one of my friends on NS during a class in 2014, and I thought it looked like fun.

I stayed in TSP at first simply because I had nowhere else to go.

About a week later, several of my friends and I made a region, and when I went to move my nation over, I decided that I couldn't bring myself to leave, having seen that the region looked to be fun, based on the RMB and WFE, so I just moved a puppet over there instead.

What is your current position? Have you held any other positions in the TSP government?

I’ve been a Local Councillor, Vice Delegate, Justice (briefly), Chair Of Assembly, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and am currently on the CRS or the Council for Regional Security.

I've also been active in the fellowship programme and as a member of the advisory council.

LC was good, because I enjoyed working with the gameside community, although my half term was plagued with inactivity from the other members.

I really enjoyed working with Tsu as VD and I've loved my time working in the MoRA.

What do you think the role of the Minister of Foreign Affairs is? What are some of your key accomplishments this term?

I think the MoFA should always strive to work towards what's best for the region, and be able to put aside any personal feelings and not be working for their own personal agenda.

We had a really successful festival with TNP, which helps to reaffirm our close friendship.

A lot of my term has been spent working on CAIN, and mending and strengthening relations with regions.

I'd like to see us continue to be a member, and part of that would be for us to work together as a region to address issues we have, and for me to then work on that with the other signatories.

What projects or goals that you would still like to implement in the future?

I would still like to see some form of training program, but I just don't think it's viable right now.

I would like to see a bit more of a cultural approach, too.

Is there anything else about your time in government that you’d like to share? Where does MoFA get the money for their lavish parties? :P

I probably shouldn't share this, but as a member of the AC, I've been siphoning money from the MoRA's budget.

Besides NS, what do you like to do for fun? What are your hobbies?

I like to do a bit of gaming, watch sport, listen to music, try and play guitar, when I'm not busy with school and stuff.

What games, besides NS, do you enjoy?

The main ones I play are Civ V, men of war, company of heroes, age of empires

I also play some like FIFA :P

Assembly in a Debate over APC-TIL deal; Roavin backs out of MoFA race
By Spenty

Months after the Political Parties act was passed, a debate emerged in the Legislators' Lounge over the legality of an APC-TIL deal to swap endorsements, which some decried as "an act of treason" and "electioneering". The deal, which was made before the elections even started, involved two of the major political parties in the Coalition: the Alliance for the Preservation of the Coalition and The Island League. In the deal, TIL would endorse General Vietnam for Minister of Military Affairs while APC would endorse the current MoMA Roavin for Minister of Foreign Affairs. Both players are highly respected in the region.

Some thought that the deal would give Roavin a more secure place in the highly contested MoFA elections but that the APC would not benefit from the deal. The APCRC later on revealed that the decision was unwise.

Belschaft, who debated that the deal was undemocratic, boycotted the SPN debate between him, Roavin, and Escade. In addition, a fiery debate between Belschaft and Omega emerged in the Assembly. Following this debate, Roavin backed out of the MoFA race stating that he wanted to focus on the assembly. Stay tuned for Spring 2017 Election Coverage in our next edition.

Personalities Win Big at the South Pacific Coconut Awards 2017[/size]
By Spenty

The 8th of February marked the culmination of the South Pacific Coconut Awards or the Cocos for short. The Coconut Awards are a series of awards given to outstanding citizens of The South Pacific in the areas of RMB, Roleplay, Regional Affairs, Military and in the Assembly.

Before the awards started, many personalities strutted at the red carpet and rolled into the event fashionably late. Escade wore a long elegant dress while Omega wore his signature grey suit along with a sparkling blue tie.

As the awards were announced there were large cheers from the audience as each winner went up onto the stage with pride. Between the breaks they exchanged congratulations and handshakes as they drank champagne brought by Griffin.

The best was saved for last as the Cabinet Awards were announced for the best new personalities in each ministry, including the Assembly. Spenty came up onto the stage twice to receive the Chair's Award and the Minister of Regional Affairs' Award. Apparently, he was shocked upon receiving two awards and almost fainted.

Vietnam received the Minister of Military Affairs' Award for having contributed the most in the South Pacific Special Forces while Nahuelm received the Delegates' award for being the most active and helpful on the Regional Message Board. While our very own Minister of Regional Affairs, Seraph won the Prime Minister's Award for being the best new politician.

The award show was generally a good night as people exchanged smiles and congratulations after the show. Please do watch out for the next Cocos!

The Southern Journal is produced by the Ministry of Regional Affairs of The South Pacific. (On a side note, please do expect updates to be released in the form of Southern Journal issues. Thank you very much)

Back