The Sangatha

Nation: Federal Republic of Aciera
Amend the Flag and Seal to Those Proposed by Iraelia: <AYE>

Locan stood: "the vote to amend the flag and seal has passed almost unanimously; from now on, we shall use the standards suggested by Iraelia.

"Moving on to other matters, with the rise of tension and conflict surrounding out members, the participants of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting have decided to realise an initiative to protect our organisation's interests and defend our constituents from the pervasive reaches of terrorism. Syrixian delegation, has the floor—as well as the privilege to offer a groundbreaking, revolutionary solution."

Last edited:
"Thank you." Roshni replied to Locan, then turning to the greater council.

"In accordance with this year's Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting Initiative, as passed by our respective states' leaders, I propose a motion to fulfill it." Roshni paused briefly. "We are all brother states. That is why we are here; because we share a history and because for the duration of that history we have achieved a cultural synergy rivalled by none. However, the world is changing. As technology improves and the world has become more connected both economically and culturally, traditional security threats no longer always apply."

"Terrorism's expansion across the world is one such non-traditional security threat, and in recent years-- exponentially, I might add-- it has reared its head across the globe. Aside from the nations it has afflicted and some of their allies, it has yet to be addressed by a major international organization. We, my fellow delegates, represent everything terrorists hate. And yet, despite this, our Charter contains no organized, legal way to deal with them. It's time to change that. It's time for our brotherhood to evolve."

"My motion is as follows. Two agreements. The Commonwealth Joint Anti-Terrorism Command, or JATC, and the Commonwealth Collective Defense Agreement, or CDA. The former would be an organized forum under the auspices of this organization where the heads of Commonwealth militaries would be able to quickly and effectively coordinate anti-terrorist activity within the Commonwealth. The latter would be an optional mutual defense agreement, in order to scare terrorists and any country that may have financed, is financing, or will finance them, and to increase our mutual security as a whole."

"With that said, I open the floor to any questions or comments."

Salveo rises to speak, with his large, fit stature complimenting his almost peaceful yet authoritative and booming voice, saying,

"Would the former CDA solely consist of Commonwealth nations, even given its name? It seems like it would be a good way for the Commonwealth to build bridges in a common campaign against terrorism.

Or, alternatively, would this CDA be solely for Commonwealth nations and consist of Commonwealth nations, but would be left to its own will in terms of who it allies with?"

Last edited:
"The CDA would be an agreement within the Commonwealth." Roshni responded. "Commonwealth members would be eligible to sign up and would not be compelled to join by immediate virtue of their Commonwealth membership. That being said, I think it is entirely possible for JATC to cooperate with other states and organizations in anti-terrorist activities, but that would be something not enshrined in the agreements by any means, obviously."

Helena stands to speak: "As I understand, this is only for terrorism, which I find as a narrow focus, too narrow even. The basic idea is solid, but the CDA should be with a wider goal for Defense. I would also like to propose something new; a Commonwealth Joint Brigade for members who want the additional defense: Each member of this CJB would contribute troops to the brigade, and this Brigade would be a Rapid Reaction Force for the Commonwealth CDA Before any Military Formations from Commonwealth Armed Forces could deploy, the Brigade would deploy. That is the basic idea."

"I think the idea of a Rapid Reaction Force can be worked with, providing it is within the CDA." Roshni replied. "I think the CDA can have functions outside of protecting its members from terrorist activities, obviously. But that must not distract us, either, from the reason it was proposed in the first place, that being terrorism. That being said, a Rapid Reaction Force would be quite helpful in anti-terrorist activity."

“This is all well and good,” Edrik Vants spoke up in typical Hastfradic cynicism, “But I think we’re putting the cart ahead of the horse here. I get that terrorism is a global threat, but is it truly a commonwealth threat? Not to say there are no threats within the nations of commonwealth, but what would make this body better at combating these threats then our own security forces?

“And let’s not just agree to creating a joint terrorism command without first contemplating the actual structure of it all. Who would be in charge? How would funding be distributed? Would each nation be responsible for additional fees paid directly towards the JATC or CDA? Who would be responsible for providing and training personnel? And most importantly, how will this organization cooperate with local authorities to fight these terrorist threats?

“Austalgotha will be more than willing to sign onto this and give any help to our commonwealth brothers and sisters. Let’s just first make sure we have a workable framework before we create this thing.”

"A framework is, of course, both necessary and required. I thought it necessary to pitch the concept itself first before getting into the details." Roshni replied with a friendly chuckle. "I would imagine the JATC would be administered by the commanding generals appointed to run it by its members and would report to this Council, for example. Said members would also contribute personnel. Perhaps they would cooperate with local authorities at the Council's discretion, or perhaps at their own- I would say that is up to all of us to decide along with the other details."

Sun scratched his chin before speaking "An anti-terror organization is all well and good, but I don't see car bombs going off in Iraelia or Pataliputra. Why should Zhen be concerned about terrorism in Prydania or Midir either? It has its uses sure but I don't think Zhen would ultimately benefit from opting into such an organization, nor would it benefit from the added costs. I think it would be better for Zhen to assist when it is actually needed."

"That is, of course, fine," Roshni replied, "as participation in either of the proposed agreements would be entirely optional, as mentioned previously. I would like to clarify, though, that though car bombs are not going off in Iraelia or Pataliputra, they very well may in the future. Indeed, Iraelia has already seen its fair share of terrorism via the Sapphire Dream attacks perpetrated by the Marousian Liberation Front. The object of the proposed agreements is not to barge into this country and that as if we owned the place, but to protect ourselves from situations seen in Prydania, Midir, Iraelia, McMasterdonia, Goyanes, and other countries from afflicting us, and in Iraelia's case, further afflicting them. All that being said, as I mentioned said agreements would both be optional and I do not want to make it seem in any way otherwise. At the end of the day it is up to you, though I would obviously hope that most members consider joining."

Imber Barak nodded.
"I find myself in agreement with Ambassador Vants. Such an undertaking would have wide-reaching consequences for every Commonwealth member state. We should formally work out the ins and outs of these structures- including the degree to which they would have access to our governments' individual intelligence agency- before we establish these initiatives."

September 21, 2019

Approximately two days after the initial round of meetings, the second round resumed. Roshni promptly turned on her microphone after the opening procedures were concluded.

"Fellow representatives, we're happy to say that your suggestions have been taken into account. Over the past couple days since the initial round, we, along with the delegations of Aciera and Demescia, have been working on a document that incorporates them, as well as expands on the initial suggestions to create more cohesive and viable units. As always, questions, comments, and suggestions are welcomed."

"I second." Roshni added. The Commonwealth was about to change; she could feel it. She was proud to be part of that change.

"It has been a tremendous honor indeed, to work with the honorable Syrixian and Demescian delegations... to provide this Commonwealth with a new light to shine forward into the future! And it is my great honor to say... that the Federal Republic of Aciera votes Aye to ratify the Second Treaty of Pataliputra."

Roshni stood next. "The Empire votes AYE to ratify the Second Treaty of Pataliputra."

The State of Iraelia
...votes <AYE> to ratify the Second Treaty of Pataliputra.

Pataliputra, Syrixian Empire

September 21, 2019

So this is where a grateful nation sends their beloved president. In The Syrixian Colonial Club.

Whether somebody is trying to send him a message about being old and irrelevant, or Thassad is just unappreciative of his new diplomatic career. Either one, he doesn't care anymore. He might die at any moment, at any day this week, and his wrinkly ass will end up in a state funeral to provide pomp and free election campaign to Nakashad, or to any chump in the Party and the Opposition who managed to climb up the greasy pole. As far as he knows, any of them who is actually competent will end up somewhere they can be useless. Like Balay Kalatogan, an embassy...or the Golden Palace.

And now Thassad is expected to vote on something that will elevate the Club from its passive existence, towards active participation in the world stage. To think this is supposed to be a cultural organization. He has yet to see anything remotely cultural other than the Commonwealth Games.

Thassad smiled, looking up at the ceiling. 'Maybe I should write something up. There must be many things that The Commonwealth ought to take special interest in. Besides, if I'm not in a position to get Lawston out of here before it's too late, then I must endeavor to make this place what it is really meant to be.'

As newly-appointed Commonwealth Councilor, he was first regretful. He had to leave retirement home and his chess games in the Council of State.

And the cranky old shed the government leased to him in Gesetzgeberdenkmal Platz. He does not know why, but as a young boy, when the park did not exist, it used to be an empty plot of land surrounded by Oval Road, formerly Imperial Road, just across the street from the National Legislature. The shed was built there to house the caretaker, as far as Thassad could remember, and he used to visit him there too. He probably made friends with the man, but it was too long time ago. Now all he wanted to do with the place is to paint.

As to why or how he ended up doing that, Thassad could not put a finger on it. Age has not been kind to memory and many things that used to mean something to him have faded to nothing. Just like what their country does to him and every other statesman who gave up their whole life in the service of the Republic.

"Mister President...? Sir?"

Thassad looked to his side. It was Calunod Dalangin, his private secretary... Or was it, looking to his other side, his political adviser?

"It's time to vote, sir." The Skandan from Samprati City said...whatever his name is.

Oh well, whoever or whatever, never mind. He just chuckled to himself and looked around, at everyone assembled here.

"Would it be wise to consider voting abstain, eh?" He teased, poking his tongue out. "I wanna see if I can get a reaction from these people."

"Sir..."

Thassad looked at both of his confidants, or should he call them caregivers? They are too boring, and they have to deal with him moaning and groaning his mouth, joints, and back pains. Not to mention the pills and the regular visits to the doctor. In a year or two, if Bathala or any other god wills it, they might have to bring him in here on a wheelchair.

"Ang. Haring. Ganatrang. Kalatogan." He said, a cough coming deep from his throat. "...votes aye...to ratify the Second...Treaty of Pataliputra."

Thassad coughed violently. His aides had to pat him in the back and offer him water.

Last edited:
Locan stood up once more: "It seems that we have almost unanimous support for the Treaty. Eight ayes and only one nay. The Treaty is now ratified, hereby establishing the Commonwealth Security Command, as well as the Commonwealth Defense Agreement."

The Republic of Austalgotha wishes to opt out of the CDA. The defense of our nation is guaranteed by the IFV. So to avoid a conflict of interest, we must opt out. We will however, be participating in the CSC and RRB

Thassad stood up. Either he let it out in the special disabilities toilet or speak now before they could hold his peace and turn them into pieces. He adjusted the microphone on the table and tapped it on the head to check it if it was working. The old man nodded in satisfaction.

He cleared his throat. "It may be the old man in me, despite my caramel behind sticking to the floor, but I have something to say before I announce my government's positions on opting-in."

The Skandan from Samprati City also stood up from his chair. His eyes wide and his lips trembling.

"But Herr Präsident, you can't just-"

He tried to reach for Thassad on his arm, but Thassad sliced the air in front of his face like some kind of martial artist. He dodged Thassad and stumbled backwards, hitting his heel hard against his chair. The Skandan took off the shoe on his foot and brought it up to his waist to try to feel where the pain was and massage it away.

The boy should be grateful I didn't react the way a man would if he is interrupted by another important person.

"Sit down, Yellow Man and listen to the Korruzalesh singing!"

The Skandan ground his teeth. "...Ouch, my foot."

While the Skandan thumbed his heel in search of comfort, Thassad tapped the microphone again. Repeatedly and longer, he felt it was justified by his annoyance.

Somebody poked Thassad on his side. He looked down on Calunod Dalangin, his political assistant...or his private secretary? Private assistant?

"Herr Präsident. Don't do that to the mic. It's unnecessary and it's not good for the equipment."

Thassad frowned and waved dismissively at Dalangin... Is that even his name?

"Don't worry. If it gets broken, I'll pay for it myself."

Thassad looked at the other Commonwealth Councilors, a suspicious eye scanning all of them. His eyes lingered on the Syrixian councilor.

"It was an honor to serve my country. But first, I was just a citizen. In Nineteen-Sixty-Seven, I had the privilege of voting out the Hightonian monarch from the most highest office in my country and it was the first vote I ever cast. Now I sit here with you fellow representatives of...former Syrixian colonies, may I reiterate one significant fact..."

"This. Is. A. Cultural. Or-ga-ni-za-tion!" He banged a heavy hand on the table after every word and, latterly, every syllable.

"If there are efforts to be made to the preservation of this organization then we must remind ourselves of the word of its namesake. As a commonwealth, we are a brotherhood of free nations. We must not allow ourselves to become instruments of power for the sake of power, even if it means greater security. We must refocus our efforts in line with this simple ideal. We must strive as a family of peoples, though separated by oceans and continents, share a common heritage."

Thassad looked in the direction of the Syrixian representatives...or at least they looked like Syrixians?

"Samprati the Fourth, the only Syrixian emperor I recognize as one of the great Lawstoner leaders, said in these wise words: 'Our intent is that deliberative assemblies shall be widely established and all matters decided by open discussion. All classes, high and low, shall be united in vigorously carrying out the administration of affairs of state. Regressive ancient customs of statecraft shall be broken off and our governance shall achieve for the State's supreme harmony.'"

Smacking his dry lips, Thassad took a glass of water and drank its contents in one big gulp. He returned his attention to the Syrixians and narrowed his eyes.

"It is my genuine hope that those who possess the means to determine another nation's fate are humbled by the changing times. In doing so, they should consider the possibility of changing their ways to build a better world without the necessity of certain martial strength whenever it is called upon as if it is the only solution."

Thassad looked down on the table and cleared his throat. He coughed. He had to drink water. He had to clear his throat again. He took his copy of the treaty from the table and waved it high up in the air.

"Mmm. That being said...it is my duty to represent my government in its compliance with this treaty's provisions and fulfill our obligations following our declaration of intent to ratify this document by virtue of our vote, to inform here and confirm it is the desire of the Republic, ang Ganatra, to opt-in all commitments."

Thassad put the document down and stared at it. Then he sat back down on his chair... Is this his chair?

Wherever it is, it doesn't matter so long as Thassad has somewhere to sit on. Also, something's in the document. He looked closer and found there was a note slipped between the pages:

1000. No nomination.

Last edited:
Sun leaned in after drinking her own water. "It is already known where Zhen stands. Zhen is here for cultural solidarity, not to fight a war on terror. We would leave that to other organizations not straying from its original path. Had this treaty come from outside these Commonwealth walls it would've been considered maybe even embraced given tensions on the homefront."

Das Locan ahemed. "On such a note, I will comment that the treaty has been—controversial to say the least—within the Demescian Nations, when our commentariat reported on it. Many liked it; many didn't. However, the Delegate Premier's Ministry of Defense deemed it necessary given our violent global climate. I concur with that position.

"Now! In other news, we will begin nominations for the position of Secretary General, who will facilitate our meetings and handle other related affairs. I will be running again to keep my position.

"We will also be doing a double election, for our CSC director as well. Representatives can still nominate persons for that position as well, if anyone else would like to capitalize on the opportunity."

“It is my decision to stand for election as Secretary-General.” Helena responded. “Although the initial decision was to Nominate a Predicean General to the position of Director of the CSC, I believe that there is little time for a vote. That is why I nominate Brigadier General Singh for this position. That is all.”

"We have closed nominations and will now proceed with the vote. Lal Devendra Singh is the only running candidate remain for the CSC Directorship, and therefore receives the position by default. Congratulations!"

Code:
< Country Name >
[i]…votes [b]< Roshni | Helena >[/b] for Secretary–General[/i]

Last edited:
Back