The Phoenix Union

Sushma knew that if it was her predecessor standing where she did, he would have defended the amendment in its entirety, ignoring the sentiment rising against certain components of the clause. Instead, she responded calmly, "With respect to your opinions, I thank you on your input."

Continuing, she said, "Though I will be removing the clause noted by Representative Bouthillier for the reasons he stated, I would like to point out that these forces would not be used for foreign action, but instead the preservation of security within the Union. I am not proposing that we send the proposed peacekeeping forces to Thederic Nors or Prydania, as that would indeed be an imperialist act. The inspiration and necessity behind the creation of the peacekeeping forces is the crisis unfolding in Arrandal, a member of this Union."

"With peacekeeping forces like these, Phoenix Union nations that experience crises of a similar or larger scale can receive quick help from the organization itself. These forces would also not just ensure an enduring peace in afflicted nations, but also assist with humanitarian aid projects in Phoenix Union nations. The same applies with the Phoenix Union's regional military commands- they are not meant to be a force with which to extend influence- they are meant to act only within the Phoenix Union and to preserve the security of the Phoenix Union. If this is a concern of the other representatives, then this doctrine can and should be added into the amendment."

Autumn stood to speak.

"I have my sympathies for the proposal, but I do believe it needs to be 'ironed out' a bit. Given that the peacekeeping force operates strictly within the confines of member nations, it will have my support. However, I do agree that we should try to show the Union as a peaceful organization. That being said, may I remind everybody that we should always plan to be ready. Those who aren't are always the first to fall."

"Otherwise, I have no questions about the amendment, and due to the clarification given by Mrs. Sushma, I support the proposition."

EDIT: Punctuation.

Sushma rose again.

"Seeing as there are no further opinions from the delegates here today, I would like to motion for a vote."

lKvmynq.png

Following a motion to end debate, the discussion phase of this session has now ended. The Phoenix Union Parliament will now begin voting on the motions presented this session. Below may be found the voting codes. This vote will end at (time=1514696401).

The motions to be voted on are as follows:

Unionwide Foreign Aid Act:
1. Humanitarian aid and supplies must be sent from Phoenix Union member and observer states to Arrandal.
2. Humanitarian aid and supplies may be sent from Phoenix Union member and observer states to Norsia, Prydania, or both, should they elect to do so. These shipments will be officially endorsed by the Phoenix Union.
Article Four of the Constitution is amended to insert the following at the end of the Article:
Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces Amendment:
Acts of terror against a member state shall also fall under the purview of mutual defense obligations, and member states are required to come to the aid of the attacked state, whether it be via humanitarian aid or via contribution to Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces.

Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces shall serve to keep domestic peace in any area of a Phoenix Union member state, observer state, or Associated Member State that has a conflict present within it, or a conflict that has recently ended. Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces can be marshaled by the Commander of the Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces, who is a general from a member state elected every 3 years by Parliament.

The Commander shall process requests from Member States for Peacekeeping Forces, which can be submitted to him by a member state's government, and then shall compile a report to present to the Grand Presiding Officer for approval. Peacekeeping Forces are made up of soldiers from the armies of the member states, and the amount of soldiers that can be contributed by the member states is at their discretion.

Phoenix Union Regional Commands shall also be established, headed by a Phoenix Union Regional Commander elected by consensus of the member states in a region. The Regional Commanders shall serve for 6 years, and may be reelected as many times as the consensus of the Phoenix Union member states in that Region deems it necessary. The Commanders shall report to Parliament, and shall serve as both military coordinators for their Regions as well as assistants to Parliament and military analysts when it discusses or debates on matters relating to war or the preservation of peace.

VOTING CODE:

Code:
[b]NATION:[/b] (INSERT NATION NAME HERE)

1. Unionwide Foreign Aid Act: <YES | NO>

2. Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces Amendment: <YES | NO>

NATION: The Principality of Sil Dorsett

1. Unionwide Foreign Aid Act: Abstain

2. Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces Amendment: NO

NATION: Kingdom of Arrandal

1. Unionwide Foreign Aid Act: <YES>

2. Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces Amendment: <NO>

NATION: Grand Federation of Xentherida

NATION: Syrixian Empire

2. Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces Amendment: <YES>

NATION: Malorian Empire

NATION: Equestrian Commonwealth

2. Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces Amendment: <YES>

lKvmynq.png

Voting is now closed.

The votes have been counted, and the Unionwide Foreign Aid Act has passed and is now PU law. The Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces Amendment has failed.

VOTES:

1. Unionwide Foreign Aid Act: Ayes: 5, Nays: 0 (Passed)

2. Phoenix Union Peacekeeping Forces Amendment Ayes: 2, Nays: 4 (Failed)

This session is adjourned.

-Regis Giquel, The Principality of Sil Dorsett

lKvmynq.png

By my authority as Grand Presiding Officer, I hereby commence the third Phoenix Union Grand Presiding Officer Election. Candidacy declarations will begin now and will continue until (time=1517750100).

Associated Member States may run and vote. Observer States are not allowed to vote or run. When voting, do not vote for your own nation. The election will begin on February 5th and last for five days. 150-word, one-paragraph campaign statements may be posted below by nations who wish to submit one.

-Regis Giquel, The Principality of Sil Dorsett

After announcing the beginning of the election cycle, Regis added on the principality's intentions following a critical vote in their local parliament.

"I also hereby announce that The Principality of Sil Dorsett's Chamber of Law has rejected the February 2018 GPO Reauthorization Act, the nays numbering twenty-five and the ayes numbering twelve. Thus, the Act required, to be declared a Royal Decree and become law, unanimous support from The Regency, which it failed to obtain, only earning one affirmative vote. Therefore, The Principality of Sil Dorsett will not be seeking re-election as GPO."

Alvydas stood to address the assembly, gazing blindly ahead.

“I wanted to take a moment and address all of you. I know that there has been some disagreements recently, and this has caused a deal of contention among our members. It is often hard to come back to the table after things have been said, or done, or even not said or not done. I think the Phoenix Union has lost its way over the recent months and we should get back to the ideals on which this Union, this alliance, was founded.”

“I know there is currently a strain between Arrandal and Sil Dorsett,” Alvydas said addressing Regis Giquel and the rest of the Sillian delegation. “And I want to say here and now that there are no hard feelings, nor any lingering discontent. The King wants to continue improving relations and growing our bonds of friendship and understanding. She wants to extend her sincere apologies to your leaders if Arrandal has in any way given you the impression that the Principality is to blame for any action or lack thereof. If so we wish to make amends and invite Princess Claidie to meet with King Jadzia to discuss the future of our nations.”

He took a moment to clear his throat then continued. “That being said, there is now a divide within the Phoenix Union, one that threatens to tear apart all that we have worked for over the last year. It is time to work on repairing that divide, a divide caused by ideology, by disenfranchisement, and by hurt and anger. We have tried to do too much and overstepped what I believe is the founding goal of this Union. We have attempted to police Craviter, to fix the political issues which divide us. But is it our right to fix the continent? Our duty to police? No I say. This Union is about cooperation, mutual defense, and open and freer trade and commerce between its members. We should not focus on peacekeeping or foreign aid. Those are issues that we can and should discuss, but our true purpose is peace and trade among ourselves. To better our own relations, to aid each other in making the world a better place by making our nations better places. Commerce, trade, unity, friendship, and a common defense. These should be our focus.”

“As such I hereby declare my candidacy for the position of GPO and promise to work to mend the divide in our ranks, and work to return the Phoenix Union to its true purpose.”

lKvmynq.png

The declaration and campaign periods of the 3rd GPO election has ended. Voting has now begun. Below may be found the voting codes.

VOTING CODE:

Code:
[b]GRAND PRESIDING OFFICER:[/b] < Arrandal | Abstain >

NATION: The Principality of Sil Dorsett
GRAND PRESIDING OFFICER: Arrandal

OOC: "Time is not linear in RP." -MadJack, every day...
lKvmynq.png

The voting period of this election has ended. The Honorable Alvydas Drakoviak of The Kingdom of Arrandal has been elected as the third Grand Presiding Officer of the Phoenix Union.

February 2018 Grand Presiding Officer Election Results:

Arrandal: 6 (Elected)

lKvmynq.png

By my authority as Grand Presiding Officer, I hereby call to order the tenth session of the Phoenix Parliament.

Members may post their proposals and/or agendae for the meeting and may discuss them. When discussion dies down a member may motion for voting to start.

-The Hon. Alvydas Drakoviak of The Kingdom of Arrandal

Alvydas cleared his throat and addressed the Union. "It is an honor to serve this esteemed Union as Grand Presiding Officer, and I look forward to working with each and every one of you over this next term."

He paused a few moments before continuing. "First on my agenda for this session is to address an issue I feel that was overlooked during the drafting of the PU constitution, an issue that became apparent over the previous term. That is, what to do when members of this union are dissatisfied with the current GPO? I am proposing to add, at the end of Article 2 of the constitution, a clause which will allow for a no-confidence removal of the GPO."

When passing a resolution, a majority must be reached in order for the resolution to become law.

Parliament may set basic trade regulations and may organize events between the member states. Parliament shall also be presided over by a Grand Presiding Officer, elected every six months. The Grand Presiding Officer, or GPO, may serve two consecutive terms maximum, after which they cannot run for a third consecutive term.

The GPO shall have the power to call meetings, introduce discussion topics, and shall keep debates and discussion civil by any means necessary, within reason. The sitting GPO shall also act as the election commissioner for GPO elections.

Any member state that wishes to stand in the election may submit one of their Phoenix Parliament MPs as a candidate for their nation. While this Constitution shall not mandate that this candidate be a nation's lead representative, it is highly encouraged.

A period of candidacy declarations for the position of Grand Presiding Officer will begin on the 1st of February and August, lasting for three days. The election shall begin on the 5th of February and August, lasting for five days. Each nation shall vote for a GPO during this period, and nations cannot vote for their own candidates.

Should the election tie, a runoff election will be held with the most voted for candidates, as designated by the commissioner of the election based on votes (as mentioned before), as the only candidates. The runoff election will begin on the 11th of February and August, and will last for three days. The home nations of those candidates are prohibited from voting. In the runoff election, the candidate with the most votes wins.

The winner of the election shall take office as the new GPO on the 15th of February and August.

Should a nation wish to call a session of Parliament, they must contact the GPO. The GPO should then announce who requested the session be called and why at the start of the session.

A sitting GPO can be relieved of their position upon a successful vote of no confidence in their leadership. A vote of no confidence can be called by any representative of the Phoenix Union. The motioner must make the motion publicly, and specify their reasons for the motion. Two thirds of the members must be in favor for the vote to pass, at which time a special election will be triggered. The GPO will resign immediately upon a successful vote for a new GPO and the newly elected GPO will serve out the remainder of the term. A vote of no confidence can only be called once per nationstate per term for each sitting GPO.

"Another matter I'd like to attend to while we are here is that of the Phoenix Continental Railway Agreement. This agreement was passed back in October of 2016, and its intent was to set up a railway which would connect the nations of the Phoenix Union together.

The agreement while well intentioned is, to put it bluntly, poorly implemented and unenforceable. Not all nations of the Union share a border and therefore no way to build connecting rail lines.

"Next it calls for the Standardization of rail components such as rail gauge width, platform to railcar access, emergency equipment, maintenance levels, etc but then never gives what those standards are. How can this be enforced? There is mention of a Phoenix Union Railway Board that is to oversee these standards, but then no powers or authority are given them to do so.

"There are many other issues which make this agreement ineffective, as well as inconsistencies within the text that can only lead to confusion. For example, multiple departments that are mentioned but not clarified as to their roles or purpose. For example, what is the difference in roles between the PCRA and the PCRB?

"Is this agreement necessary? Does it benefit this union? And can it be made more effective? I would like to hear the opinions of all present on this topic."

Regis rose up from his ordinary seat to address Mister Drakoviak's motions, still adapting to not being up at the GPO's podium for the first time in his term as Member of Parliament.

"Mister Drakoviak, perhaps we could refrain from disparaging former members of Parliament? Sure, things may not have worked out, but it is no reason to make covert attacks. The core issue was dealt with by the Sil Dorsettian government and I believe it would be wise for the issue to not be brought up again. Anyways, the proposal regarding a measure to remove a GPO appears solid and has our support.

"Regarding the railway, with no standards in place and breaks in connections between members of the union as a result of non-members being in the way, it does appear to be a fruitless effort. I believe we would vote for its repeal."

Markos couldn’t believe the nerve of the Regis. But then again like he had figured he’s from Sil Dorsett so he doesn’t understand when he should hold his tongue. As such Markos started to speak however he didn’t rise from his chair and made no effort to show his disdain against Regis’s low jab at the GPO from Arrandal.

“Maybe if the former representative from Sil Dorsett hadn’t forgotten about the starving people of Arrandal then a covert attack wouldn’t be necessary. The Grand Presiding Officer I assume did not mean any ill will towards the former representative though. It was quite obvious he was talking about our previous interaction.

Maloria fully supports the change to add a vote of no confidence plause to the constitution for the GPO and we also believe that the railway should be scrapped as it has obviously done no good to the union. Thank you that is all”

The Dorsettian delegation, except Regis, knew precisely where the conversation was going, and they all realized that further debate was pointless. Not even bothering to formulate any verbal response, the nine of them simply rose out of their seats and walked out of the parliament chamber.

Abandoned by his fellow representatives, he was short in his reply. "It would appear that the Malorian representative seems eager to not let go of Miss Allen's mistake. Understandable, but it would also appear that my delegation does not wish to be here and suffer through yet another Malorian onslaught. To be honest, neither do I. It's clear that the hostility between our two nations is boiling. Time for me to take the pot off the burner. I'll be talking to Prime Minister Ellison about this upon my return to Norvalle, and see what she wants to do about it."

Standing up, Regis joined his delegation outside, leaving the remainder of the Phoenix Union to go about their business.

Alvydas listened as the Sil Dorsettan delegation left. He sighed, but remained silent for a time, waiting to see if anyone would try to say something, to move to intercept the leaving delegates, or get up and storm out as well. He hoped for something, anything to happen, but only silence greeted him.

“I want to thank the honorable delegate from Maloria for their solidarity with Arrandal in these troubling times,” he said, “but I fear that outburst was neither helpful nor conducive to the operations of this union.

Alvydas then paused again. He took a moment to gather his thoughts and then he turned his attention to the rest of the assembly. He let his irritation and annoyance come to the surface as he spoke out.

"Well, do the rest of you have anything to say? I may be blind but I know you're there. No? Nothing? Have you already packed up and gotten ready to head for the door as well? Is this the end of the Phoenix Union then? You see it won't be this disagreement between Maloria and Sil Dorsett that ends the Phoenix Union. No, it'll be the inactiveness of those who have not stood up to say their bit. Those of you who remain unconcerned and inactive. What does this union mean to the rest of you? Do you want it to succeed or to fail? At this point I’d take either direction as long as someone voices their opinion. So let’s hear it. Your opinion on the proposal I put forward, or on the Railway that seems to have done nothing, or even on this disagreement we all witnessed. Speak up.”

Sushma stood.

"I would like to begin by noting the Empire's approval concerning the Arrandalian railroad-scrapping proposal. It has not done much, but, my friends, in this time of infighting amongst us all, we must also pay close attention not just to legislation but to the members of this Union who make it."

"This Union was founded to promote solidarity and camaraderie between its members, especially those on the Strait. These values are now threatened- they are threatened by argument and hate. That is not what we must allow to continue.. In that capacity, I propose a formal motion- that the Grand Presiding Officer form a Union committee, made up of the chief representatives of all member states except Sil Dorsett and Maloria."

"The purpose of this committee would be to talk to their representatives and amongst each other concerning this issue, end the feud between the two nations, and set us back on track. All of us must contribute if we are to restore this Union to what it once was- a bastion of civilized cooperation in a world filled with hate."

"Let us come together, as one Union, and make our alliance great again."

Dear Alvydas Drakoviak, Grand Presiding Officer of the Phoenix Union:
We of Blavia would be honored to join the esteemed Pheonix union,
So that we, the people of Blavia, can trade freely and travel to new lands, spreading our culture.
We of Blavia can supply goods, land, gemstones, Blavian wine/Bloody Marries, and Coastal Ports.
From Yours truly:
-Reginold B. Raven
The current King of Blavia

We Would also Like to join the Railroad Project, in which we will connect your railroad, through Blavia, towards Sil dorset/others
-Reginold B. Raven

Alvydas waited after the Syrixians spoke, once again hoping for more input. No one did so he spoke up. "Thank you Ms. Rajawat. This council should certainly consider forming such a committee. If we agree that such a course is the best option then would you be willing to head such a committee?" He asked, pausing to await their reply.

"Moving on I think perhaps we should move to a vote on the proposal for a no-confidence amendment to the Constitution as well as a possible repeal of the Phoenix Union Railway agreement. If anyone has anything else to add now would be the time. If not then can I get a second on the motion to vote?"

“I second the vote” Markos said as he raised his hand and then put it back down.

"The committee sounds like a reasonably prudent action at this time, and we will agree to Ms. Rajawat's heading of the committee should it form and should she accept."

"We as well agree with the vote on the no-confidence amendment to the constitution if there is no objection. We do however ask that the Phoenix Union look at reworking the Phoenix Union Railway agreement rather than scrapping the concept as it'll improve our nations industrial capabilities as well as transportation."

"In what way," Rajawat asked, "would the Ceretian delegation propose a reworking of the railway? In essence, what does Ceretis propose for how it should be done?"

"I also would be willing to keep the railway treaty," Alvydas added, "but its current weaknesses would need to be addressed. If the honorable representative of Ceretis would be willing to rework it and propose an amended version, then we can postpone any repeal of it for now. If that's sounds fair to you?"

The Crowned Republic of Highton would like to apply to join the Phoenix Union. We would like to join the union for purposes of trade, defense, and international coordination. As a member, Highton would add another voice and could help support the Phoenix Union's economy. Highton has a large number of exports which could be very profitable, and Highton already has bilateral diplomatic relations with many other nations. As a defender of democracy, Highton is in staunch opposition and is home to a thriving Hightonian economy. The hardworking, compassionate population have shown they would support membership, as has the nation's leadership as they believe joining the Phoenix Union would be productive in perfecting relations with neighboring nations. Highton's established rail system could contribute to the Phoenix Continental Railway, and the Hightonian government would gladly support the project. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, Highton shares many ideals with the Phoenix Union and believes in international coordination between nations of the Phoenix Strait Region.

We thank you for your time.

lKvmynq.png

Following a motion to end debate, the discussion phase of this session has now ended. The Phoenix Union Parliament will now begin voting on the motions presented this session. Below may be found the voting codes. This vote will end at March 20 2017, 12:00 AM.

The motions to be voted on are as follows:

Article 2 of the Constitution is amended to insert the following at the end of the article:
Unionwide Foreign Aid Act:
A sitting GPO can be relieved of their position upon a successful vote of no confidence in their leadership. A vote of no confidence can be called by any representative of the Phoenix Union. The motioner must make the motion publicly, and specify their reasons for the motion. Two thirds of the members must be in favor for the vote to pass, at which time a special election will be triggered. The GPO will resign immediately upon a successful vote for a new GPO and the newly elected GPO will serve out the remainder of the term. A vote of no confidence can only be called once per nationstate per term for each sitting GPO.
A motion to repeal the Phoenix Union Continental Railway Agreement. This agreement shall be struck out and members will no longer have to adhere to its requirements:
Phoenix Union Railway (PCR) Agreement::
To encourage visa-free internal travel, the Phoenix Union will operate and pay for the construction of The Phoenix Continental Railway, or PCR for short. The PCR will link the capitals and megacities of all member states and will make efforts to branch out towards smaller rural areas as well. It will also link nations separated by the Strait and/or another body of water by underwater tunnels. The PCR will be funded by the Union Treasury, and a budget of the annual due income will be diverted towards either the construction of or the operation of the PCR. The PCR will aim to modernize transportation in the Union by embracing newer systems and technologies. The priority of the PCR will be to ensure that citizens of the Union's member states can travel freely and easily with the assistance of other transportation organizations that are operated by Parliament. Additional details will be discussed more in depth by Parliament until the PCR is completed.

Participating nations must comply with the following key deployments minimum requirements through private, public or combined means (Parts 1A-5A):
1A) Deploy railroad allowing passage through their nation to other member states.
1B) Standardization of rail components such as rail gauge width, platform to railcar access, emergency equipment, maintenance levels, etc.
1C) Standardization of rail communication frequency ranges, voice procedure, code-share, dispatching systems, railway signaling, etc
1D) Maintenance and operation of rail networks within each member state are to be handled by the member state or its designated rail authority.
1E) Maintenance is to be kept at or above standardized maintenance levels as agreed upon through the PCRB regulations. (TO NOTE: PCRB - Phoenix Continental Railway Board)
1F) Maintenance costs for critical infrastructure (key tunnels, bridges, causeways, etc) undertaken for the purposes of this agreement that would not otherwise have been built and are key to the PCRB system may be shared. While sharing maintenance costs the control and operation of that infrastructure piece fall under the authority of the PURB.
2) Provide connection to their capital or its designated transporation hub by this network.
3) Provide rail service within their nation to major cities (Top 10 population cities) or their designated transit centers.
4) Member states shall coordinate their rail services, fee schedules, and code-shares with other participating nations through the Phoenix Union Continental Railway Alliance (PCRA). No member state shall be shown preference over another by the PCRA or PCRB.
5A) Make available use of your nations rail networks by other member states rail corporation(s) under reasonable regulation through your designated regulating agency and charging only fair use and maintenance fees no greater or worse than those that would be charged to railroads within that nation. Coordination shall be organized through the PCRA.
5B) Share funding of major connection infrastructure required to unite member nations. Those nations failing to participate in funding of major connection infrastructure may not use that infrastructure until their nation or private rail entities have paid their nation's share.
6) Encourage construction of intercity and local transportation to rural locations within their nation accessible by the rail network.
7) Encourage allowing investment from other union nation's railroads seeking to expand or improve existing rail infrastructure and offer services to and and within your nation. Per your national rail regulations.
8) The PCR will aim to modernize transportation in the Union by embracing and encouraging newer systems and technologies.
9) The priority of PCR(A/B) will be to ensure that citizens of Union member states can travel freely and easily through the coordinated efforts of member transportation organizations.
10) Any member state unable to undertake the logistics of operation of their own network may designate the PCRB as their national railroad board and will be billed for operational costs accordingly.

VOTING CODE:

Code:

1. Removal of GPO Amendment: <YES | NO>

2. Repeal Phoenix Union Continental Railway Agreement: <YES | NO>

NATION: Syrixian Empire

1. Removal of GPO Amendment: <YES>

2. Repeal Phoenix Union Continental Railway Agreement: <NO>

NATION: Maloria

1. Removal of GPO Amendment: <YES>

2. Repeal Phoenix Union Continental Railway Agreement: <YES>

Back