TNP Olympic Games

Alright, well thanks for offering your help with the scoring. Now I believe we just need the outline. We need to brainstorm some ideas on how all of this will work. I think sign ups should be done on the off-site and on-site forums, the results would be created in dispatches, and the rolling news should be done through dispatches as well. A sign up roster will be created for each sport, then all of those nations are entered into the scorinator and the results put into dispatches.

I think an introductory dispatch should be created and pinned to some major regions WFE's. The introductory dispatch will contain all of the information needed, the rules, the signing up process and the games schedule (to be created).

Questions: When should we hold the games? Over what period of time should the games be done? And are we going to have a games committee consisting of scorers, dispatchers and posters (for threads)?

Kasch:
Scoring should be random as this is the first Olympics we will hold, so we don't know how strong each team may be yet. I've already made a logo which I think should be used if we cannot think/design something better. How often should the games be held?
sounds great, I would like to see the logo(post it please). I think the games should be held every year alternating summer and winter, like our real world counterpart. Also with regards to the name, you guys are doing great, but i would like it to be more encompassing to the entire region rather than after a city, create a new name if you must. ex. Norathian International Games(just an example). And as always keep up the good work!

Here you go, Celasur:

Scn2wih.png

Obviously by the time we have finished planning everything it might have a completely different name.

Kasch:
Alright, well thanks for offering your help with the scoring. Now I believe we just need the outline. We need to brainstorm some ideas on how all of this will work. I think sign ups should be done on the off-site and on-site forums, the results would be created in dispatches, and the rolling news should be done through dispatches as well. A sign up roster will be created for each sport, then all of those nations are entered into the scorinator and the results put into dispatches.

I think an introductory dispatch should be created and pinned to some major regions WFE's. The introductory dispatch will contain all of the information needed, the rules, the signing up process and the games schedule (to be created).

Questions: When should we hold the games? Over what period of time should the games be done? And are we going to have a games committee consisting of scorers, dispatchers and posters (for threads)?
(quoting kasch again) We should do the first games completely randomized. A sign-up thread could be done for both the participants and the Committee(name TBD, just like the games) I will need someone to write the "rules" and how the games will work by going back through the thread and writing it ever so formally. The Committee will be part of the games to ensure fairness and nations on the Committee cannot compete in the games to eliminate bias. The games should last a week and have the events for that day scored (approx. 1/7 of the total events per day). Our next step would be to get a higher level TNP official *cough*LordRavenclaw*cough* on board with the Games to decide a date.

One correction, the games should be held over a longer period of time. Give whatever Committee we decide to create the time to deal with things, as some people have very tight schedules.

From what I have gathered, these are the details so far:

Name: TBD and still in debate.

Length: 1 week - 1 month.

Committee name: TBD.

Results: Dispatches and Tables

Scoring: Random for first round of games, then corrected.

Committee Member Positions: Scorers, Dispatchers and Posters. (Not Official Yet.)

Game Types: Summer and Winter

Sport List: Archery, Basketball, Biking (BMX)/cycling, Fencing, Gymnastics, Judo, Rowing, Rugby, Swimming, Soccer/Football, Track (100m, 200m, and 400m.), Tennis, Triathlon.

Scn2wih.png

If there is anything else I have forgotten, tell me and it will be added.

Honestly if we're going random, the person running the event could still compete in it. The way I'd do it is this:

Every participant in an event is assigned a skill number out of 100. Now, since this is the Olympics, we'd assume they'd be up around at least the 65+ area, so you can do a random draw (a program like The Hat would work, or there's any number of other apps and websites that could do it) that would give each competitor a number (say between like 65-85 for the first Olympics) and you could then use that in the scorination program to generate results. The person doing the socrinating would just have to post the raw data - probably via screenshot - to show the result.

The skill value can be added to and expanded for the next one by including things like nation investment or performance in the last games to add variation. I'll keep poking around the scorinator I have to really learn all the events and stuff, and I can help others learn it if need be.

Edits:
I don't think you should post sign-ups on the on-site forum. They have their own Olympics, but you can certainly advertise ours on RMB of The North Pacific.

That logo might need to change as well, unless you plan on getting the other Pacifics to join in - a harder task than you might think.

I'm not sure if I follow but if I understand correctly, I don't think that the scoring should be random, it's not like a nation would have no idea how they'd be at an event until the try it at the Olympic level, presumably there's non-olympic yearly competitions in these events. It doesn't take the Olympics to realize that the Canadian hockey team is better at hockey than the team for Switzerland. I like something along the lines of the idea mentioned earlier of having an x-number of points so that everyone RPing their nations has some say in what events they tend to be better at or whether they tend to be good at a decent number of events but not amazing at one, etc. It doesn't have to be that exact system but some system that gives the RPer a method to pick some strengths of their nation.

Pretty sure madjack/nierr/george attempted to run a Tennis championship a while ago and one of my favourite parts of it was being able to pick what my player was good at (in this case what surface was his specialty for example).

If I misunderstand then I apologize in advance.

I think the idea is to take the simplest approach possibly, although over people have mentioned points systems given to nations to allocate a certain number of points to an event to decide how good they are.

Which we could do instead, I'm easy either way.

I think going random on first try is a good idea, just to see how the scoring works, so others can learn and host further "Earampics" or any other sport leagues.

Also, if one does claim to be better at a certain sport, certainly, some RP to this effect should be expected.

St George:
I think the idea is to take the simplest approach possibly, although over people have mentioned points systems given to nations to allocate a certain number of points to an event to decide how good they are.

Which we could do instead, I'm easy either way.
I personally like a point-choice based system, every nation gets a certain amount of 'specialty points' to use for events, they put how many they want on each event, and then based on that we chose a winner, if two or more nations allocate the same amount of points for an event it goes into random for scoring proposes.
(example nation 50pts. each)
25: event a
10: event b
5: event c
10: event d
0: event e
etc.

It would be more fair to add an element of luck into the events by being able to allocate points and roll for each event, adding the two values together.

I believe you can build in modifiers for luck/whatever in most scorinators.

Threw together a list of olympic sports by season (Winter and Summer). These can be taken as a whole, added to or subtracted from. I did list the Summer olympics in a category of real world popularity for these events though. I could not find the popularity of the winter events compared between each other. The NL Category does not exist in the olympics but are proposed... and then there is pan fighting.

SUMMER OLYMPICS:
Category A: athletics, aquatics, gymnastics.
Category B: baseball/softball, basketball, cycling, football (soccer), tennis, and volleyball.
Category C: archery, badminton, boxing, judo, rowing, shooting, table tennis, and weightlifting.
Category D: canoe/kayaking, equestrian, fencing, handball, field hockey, sailing, taekwondo, triathlon, and wrestling.
Category E: modern pentathlon, golf, and rugby.
NL: Lacrosse, Polo, Water motorsports, skateboarding
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WINTER OLYMPICS:
Alpine skiing, Biathlon, Bobsleigh, Cross country, Curling, Figure skating, Freestyle skiing, Ice hockey, Luge, Nordic combined, Short track speed skating, Skeleton, Ski jumping, Snowboarding, speed skating.

NL: Ice/snow motorsports, Sled dog race, Indoor Shooting, climbing, bowling, dancing, Raquetball and Squash, Roller sports, MMA/Karate/Muy Thai, Pan fighting

Ceretis:
Threw together a list of olympic sports by season (Winter and Summer). These can be taken as a whole, added to or subtracted from. I did list the Summer olympics in a category of real world popularity for these events though. I could not find the popularity of the winter events compared between each other. The NL Category does not exist in the olympics but are proposed... and then there is pan fighting.

SUMMER OLYMPICS:
Category A: athletics, aquatics, gymnastics.
Category B: baseball/softball, basketball, cycling, football (soccer), tennis, and volleyball.
Category C: archery, badminton, boxing, judo, rowing, shooting, table tennis, and weightlifting.
Category D: canoe/kayaking, equestrian, fencing, handball, field hockey, sailing, taekwondo, triathlon, and wrestling.
Category E: modern pentathlon, golf, and rugby.
NL: Lacrosse, Polo, Water motorsports, skateboarding
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WINTER OLYMPICS:
Alpine skiing, Biathlon, Bobsleigh, Cross country, Curling, Figure skating, Freestyle skiing, Ice hockey, Luge, Nordic combined, Short track speed skating, Skeleton, Ski jumping, Snowboarding, speed skating.

NL: Ice/snow motorsports, Sled dog race, Indoor Shooting, climbing, bowling, dancing, Raquetball and Squash, Roller sports, MMA/Karate/Muy Thai, Pan fighting
For multi-sport games (pentathlons, triathlons, etc.) wouldn't it make more sense to not have them in the point delegation list, but average the points of the individual events that comprise it?

Hiskjriaana:
For multi-sport games (pentathlons, triathlons, etc.) wouldn't it make more sense to not have them in the point delegation list, but average the points of the individual events that comprise it?
How about we keep it simple for the first try?

I am sorry for the long absence, my computer had broken down. I would still like to see this idea happen, even though the Olympics have ended we could still have this event happen in the winter this year.

Celasur:
I am sorry for the long absence, my computer had broken down. I would still like to see this idea happen, even though the Olympics have ended we could still have this event happen in the winter this year.
Well it's great to see that you're back! I hope to continue planning this.

'In the name of all the competitors I promise as (r libanon) that we shall take part in these Pacifican Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honour of our teams.

Makris, this is about the 5th or 6th or 22nd time or so you've gravedug a topic that is over a month or more old. In future, I won't be so nice as to just archive the topic without further action.

Please make sure you aren't reviving old topics please.

-St George, RP Moderator

Back