Map Discussion Thread

Nierr:
We can move your claim northwards, yes, but you are not getting those three additional islands. I'm sorry, but it's not happening.

If unsatisfied by this decision you can seek dispute resolution by following the process outlined here
Very well, if you will not let me claim those three islands then I will re-add the islands I took away in the first place.

This isn't an either/or thing. Your claim as you've just linked, minus those three islands, is quite enough to be honest. In the future we can look at expanding your land and you can rp that out like everyone else has to. We don't need to be taking every island that we've got going in the first week of claims, especially as that then reduces rp opportunities.

Nierr:
This isn't an either/or thing. Your claim as you've just linked, minus those three islands, is quite enough to be honest. In the future we can look at expanding your land and you can rp that out like everyone else has to. We don't need to be taking every island that we've got going in the first week of claims, especially as that then reduces rp opportunities.
In all honesty Nierr, I'm trying to compromise on the number of islands in terms of how I wrote my nation's Factbook and history. Literally all I have done different with my map at this point in time is that now I am using the two small islands as a point of reference and having the rest of the islands arc down from there. I re-added one island that was on my original claim (used a different shape as it fits better) despite the fact that there are now less islands overall then my original claim which I'm sticking with as a compromise.

Note: I can bring some of the islands together but the overall idea I was going for was an island chain falling away in an arc away from those two small islands (per SillyString's feedback).

UsxKmiI.png

I just want to point out the my current claim on the map includes ten islands and my new map claim (see post above SillyString) also includes ten islands (both have two clusters of smaller islands hanging around). The number of islands hasn't shrunk or gotten bigger so I don't see what the problem would be in moving the claim north and extending it in a diagonal like manner from those two small islands.

Just as a regional reference of what I'm asking for (claim size is same as before).
TUqJQeJ.png

Note: Yes, I did change three of the island shapes... I did this because I found islands that fit better with the overall feel.

Despite not showing it, I really appreciate the time and effort you're putting into the map Lore and Nierr. Especially you Lord.

Ok so to add on to what I was saying earlier, now that I've slept (13-hour workdays suck, guys) - the map has a serious dearth of island options. This is okay for people who don't mind playing on the main landmass, but anybody who wants to flesh out an island or archipelago has it tough. You two even know this - hence the reasoning behind the island creation competition.

If someone came in and asked you to create a series of islands for them, it would be reasonable, I think, to say no. That's a significant investment of time for not much gain. But when, instead, you have someone like Kalti, who has not only presented a complete map (several complete maps, in fact, trying to take into account others' concerns) but has also spent a significant amount of time fleshing out the details - developing distinct regions, building up culture, creating a history, etc - I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask for a number of islands.

This isn't a slippery slope whereby you have to grant everyone's island request no matter what. Whatever (high) standard we want to use to regulate the creation of islands, I think Kalti has met it.

I have worked with Kalti's claim more than enough these last two days, atleast 2-4 hours of just editing the images to get them near acceptable for the map, I am willing to clean up the already existing claim and that is it. The only other option is to provide an acceptable image yourself that can be added to the map, or if Nierr is willing to work with you.

A suggestion. Could the link in the OP of the Claims thread be updated accordingly? Makes it easier to find the current map, especially for those looking to make claims to see what spots are available.

SillyString:
Ok so to add on to what I was saying earlier, now that I've slept (13-hour workdays suck, guys) - the map has a serious dearth of island options. This is okay for people who don't mind playing on the main landmass, but anybody who wants to flesh out an island or archipelago has it tough. You two even know this - hence the reasoning behind the island creation competition.

If someone came in and asked you to create a series of islands for them, it would be reasonable, I think, to say no. That's a significant investment of time for not much gain. But when, instead, you have someone like Kalti, who has not only presented a complete map (several complete maps, in fact, trying to take into account others' concerns) but has also spent a significant amount of time fleshing out the details - developing distinct regions, building up culture, creating a history, etc - I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask for a number of islands.

This isn't a slippery slope whereby you have to grant everyone's island request no matter what. Whatever (high) standard we want to use to regulate the creation of islands, I think Kalti has met it.

Thank you SillyString.

Lord Lore:
I have worked with Kalti's claim more than enough these last two days, atleast 2-4 hours of just editing the images to get them near acceptable for the map, I am willing to clean up the already existing claim and that is it. The only other option is to provide an acceptable image yourself that can be added to the map, or if Nierr is willing to work with you.

Then I ask you this... since I probably do not have the same software as yourself and Nierr in creating and editing map claims what would be acceptable image?

Edit: In all honesty, without really knowing the software and settings that Nierr and Lore use to mapify custom claims I find it very hard to replicate their results.

In the first post of the map claims topic, in a spoiler, is a list of colours - and html notations for each one - that are appropriate for use to fill claims. The sea/background should be a darker blue with the html notation of 849bcb.

The image should be saved as a png file and uploaded to a stable image site.

Also Asta is a big poopeyhead for being wrong about gimp.

o2TJdq1.png
4TuVgOM.png

Nierr, the question then:
> Is the first image acceptable to submit as a map claim?
> Or do you want it turned into the map style of the second image?

If the answer is the second one, there really is not much I can do then as I do not know how to make the first image look like the second one (with regards to the three replaced islands).

Agreed, though I think McM hasn't reclaimed that claim yet so his priority is null ATM. I could be wrong though.

SillyString:
So, if I'm interpreting this right, does this mean that, if you provide a map of an island / islands that you yourself made that matches the format of the TNP map, and the island(s) have a history or reason behind the island(s), and the island(s) are reasonably sized, you'd be well within reason to request that the island(s) be added to the map?

Darcania:
SillyString:
So, if I'm interpreting this right, does this mean that, if you provide a map of an island / islands that you yourself made that matches the format of the TNP map, and the island(s) have a history or reason behind the island(s), and the island(s) are reasonably sized, you'd be well within reason to request that the island(s) be added to the map?
Yes. If you have (as the cartographer's said) a damn good reason for a custom island then sure, go ahead and submit one that fits your nation.

Kalti:
o2TJdq1.png
4TuVgOM.png

Nierr, the question then:
> Is the first image acceptable to submit as a map claim?
> Or do you want it turned into the map style of the second image?

If the answer is the second one, there really is not much I can do then as I do not know how to make the first image look like the second one (with regards to the three replaced islands).
I have decided I will work with the first, but only if you give me artistic license to change some of the island locations and accept the finished product.

The grace period for map claims ends seven days after a new nation has claimed the nation's old land, correct? So, if I were to claim New Haven's old land, New Haven would have a week to claim it before I could have it, correct? I'd like to claim New Haven's former land at what used to be F7, near the big river delta, but I'm not sure if either New Haven or anybody else has already done so. Also: I have to draw my map claim, correct? How would I go about doing so? Would I need to install any software or something, because I don't want to do that. (I was originally going to post this in the claims thread, but I figured that there were so many questions that it would probably fit better here.)

I don't want to answer your first few questions because I'm afraid Lord Lore will call me out on acting on behalf of mods, but for your drawing of a map claim, if you describe where you want your claim, I can color it in for you and give you the link to the image. Be sure to describe it not in terms of old territories, because I don't know the old territories.

Yes, Coldera's original claim unintentionally adopted lands belonging to MCM; however, the claim has sense be voided and another substitute has been filed. the substitute has been approved. Thank you for your concern.

Thanks! I really appreciate it! I will wait for Lord Lore or Nierr to respond to those initial questions before I actually decide on my official claim, though. I don't want to incur too much wrath. ;-)

New Haven already made a claim to their old territory and we are waiting to hear back from them on a compromise. And Darcania. The Discussion thread is not official like the Claim thread. The Claim thread is created for three things. Claims, Official Cartography Announcements, and Map Updates. when people make statements about other people's claim in the Claim Thread they are acting on behalf of the cartography staff. While this is just a less official thread for people to just talk about the map.

Well, I figured telling Alta that their claim was unavailable at the moment would be considered acting on behalf of the cartography team, since Kalti said something similar in the Claims thread. I figured it would be better to stay on the safe side.

Oh, OK. I didn't see New Haven's application (though I did think it a bit unusual that they did not already request a position on the map, as I thought they were still pretty active). I checked again, and I'd be really curious as to see what New Haven gives up (or if it decides to give RP reasons for the entirety of his land). I'd really love the area around the river delta, and inland along the river however much is possible. However, I'll just have to wait and see what New Haven does, where it claims, what it claims, etc. If New Haven does claim the delta, I'll need a second choice location. May I inquire as to the claim status of the small island that looks sort of like Austria just northwest of Malvad? It is located pretty close to halfway between Bustos and the Lancerian Empire, and a tiny island that is claimed as a Lancerian exclave is just north of it. There is a much larger island, with a river and a tiny lake, to its northwest, and I might also claim part of that island as well; has anyone claimed any part of that yet, and if that would contradict a claim of Stuzemstazem on the old map?

This map is filling up quite quickly to the point where it's got almost, if not as, much nations as the old map! :blink: :D

The Spokesman of Eumenor:
So may I enquire about what's happening about Kalti's refinement? Because at the minute, it does look a little crap.
o2TJdq1.png

That is a revised nation map made by myself. I've already given Lore permission to move some islands around so long as the new locations make sense.

Kalti:
The Spokesman of Eumenor:
So may I enquire about what's happening about Kalti's refinement? Because at the minute, it does look a little crap.
o2TJdq1.png

That is a revised nation map made by myself. I've already given Lore permission to move some islands around so long as the new locations make sense.
Lore's passed the task on to me as The Official Map Pedant, I'm working on it right now.

wait i thought mcmasterdonia still was on the 7 day period thing.If he wasnt then my mistake because you know his territory is claimed.If he is off the 7 day thing my mistake

Belschaft:
The seven day period has passed.
Its 7 days after a claim is made. But in the interim the person is added to the claim. But due to the fact that McM will not be on much for the next several months I don't see a conflict to Grim's claim.

Would it be at all possible to add a small archipelago of islands or a grouping of multiple small islands? I mean, my nations name is Republican Pacific Islands. You could maybe use the U.S. Hawaiian islands as a model, or maybe part of the archipelago on the U.S. state of Alaska.

Back