Map Discussion Thread

Lorbank:
I think we should start again the miscellaneous maps topic. I have some ideas, and if you need, I can help you to carry out

For e.:
- map of countries by handedness of traffic
- map of corrent governments' political ideology
- map about the countries' most serious judgments (capital punishment, life imprisonment)
Concerning this, we could create a survey for all nations on the map, and when we get the results back from them we can sort them into the approproate groups. For exmaple:

A survey would be sent out to see which nations drives on the right and left side of the road.. Once a certain number of nations answer this survey with their nation's preference, one of the cartographers would remake the map and sort them into the groups: Right, Left and Neutral. Neutral simply means that they did not take part in the survey. The survey would contain the questions Lorbank suggested and more.

Because I am the left-most country in TNP can I officially call myself the most westernised country in the same way that people call england and USA western countries

Techislovakia:
Because I am the left-most country in TNP can I officially call myself the most westernised country in the same way that people call england and USA western countries
Firstly, the west-east divide is the opposite here: the East tends to be wealthier. Secondly, the western thing is not physical; Australia is classified as a western nation, even though it is about as Far East as China, so western civilisation is not geographically true; this applies to places like Esplandia here.

Xentherida:
Techislovakia:
Firstly, the west-east divide is the opposite here: the East tends to be wealthier. Secondly, the western thing is not physical; Australia is classified as a western nation, even though it is about as Far East as China, so western civilisation is not geographically true; this applies to places like Esplandia here.
east-west division in tnp is bullshit and should be forgotten

The centre is richer, not the east or west. I've always held that the Archregnum-Lacerian Empire joint pact is probably the richest nation/s in TNP.

The split between east and west was never money.

The east is full of barbarians who would nuke each other as soon as look at one another :P

jk but a lot of them are

Nebula:
The east is full of barbarians who would nuke each other as soon as look at one another :P

jk but a lot of them are
As far as Sadakoyama is concerned you are all barbarians that etc., etc..

But that's because you're pseudo-japanese isolationists with a heavy case of 'White Man's Burden'.

A political ideology map would be entertaining.

That claim is so big O_o If he got even just the land near me, I'd have to consider joinig some alliance just to feel safe D:

United Charlaisian Union. it's huge XD Though just noticed that I missed St.George has already asked for 75% less :p

It seems a lot of new claims are asking for very large amounts of land. Having said that, I know the Cartographers work behind the scenes and through PM's with claim sizes but I do wish some of the map rules came back. Especially the one below:
Rule 2: don't claim huge amounts of space. Remember that the map represents an area that is similar in size to North America.

Cogoria:
United Charlaisian Union. it's huge XD Though just noticed that I missed St.George has already asked for 75% less :p
Even that would be too big. It should be cut by at least 85%. It is ridiculously huge, and also has all of those islands.

Also, I did some calculations, and I believe that, if TNP itself were a planet, it's diameter would be 18,000km. Approximately.

But it's a lot shorter in terms of height, although since we are the North Pacific, that probably explains it.

TNP itself is categorically not its own planet. This has been said a few times, but when I made the map, I made it with the idea in mind that at the very least we shared a world with TSP.

I imagine my nation is about the size of a stretched out France, but I dunno, I'm too lazy to pixel count XD

St George:
TNP itself is categorically not its own planet. This has been said a few times, but when I made the map, I made it with the idea in mind that at the very least we shared a world with TSP.
Which is exactly why I said "if". :P

Aye. I'm sometimes tempted to do a hard reset of the map, and redraw it with just the original land, a larger scale and maybe even drawn on preset claims.

But then I remember I don't want to be lynched.

St George:
Aye. I'm sometimes tempted to do a hard reset of the map, and redraw it with just the original land, a larger scale and maybe even drawn on preset claims.

But then I remember I don't want to be lynched.
;3

There's literally nowhere in the map claims thread that explains what's an appropriate size for new claims. Instead of letting nations make any size claim and then telling them to make a smaller claim, why not display clear guidelines on the topic to prevent it in the first place? Lore Lore told me that new claims should not be bigger than Kannex, so why not just put that at the top of the thread?

Cause if you set the maximum as kannex (or any fixed nation) you'll be inundated with people claiming that size and it'll be harder to tell them no, cause they'll point to that rule, best leave some ambiguity with a vagueih rule about "No unnecessarily large nations" Then let them try justify it if they want a large nation" or something

If a nation makes a map claim that's determined to be an "appropriate" size for a new forum member, why would they need to be told no?

if there were about 12 new claims for Kannex sixed lands, map woudn't have enough space on the land masses and people would end up requesting kannex sized islands. Better to leave it ambiguous rather than set a definite maximum size

We look at each claim on a case by case basis and setting a guideline of x nation or y nation causes problems such as those pointed out above.

If a claim is inappropriate, we'll look at how we can make it acceptable. It's a compromise, between being fair to new players and also maintaining the integrity of the map.

If you have suggestions for specific map guidelines, you're free to make them in this topic. I would however like to emphasise that 'no bigger than Kannex' is not a rule we've implemented, nor do we have plans to - especially as Kannex has expanded in recent times, and it would be beyond the bounds of that nations IC actions to do so again.

Yeraennus:
And get nuked in return of course, because MAD. You really need to reconsider being a warhawk.
Things will happen in that respect once the Baleine RP gets going again.

Kasch:
Lorbank:
I think we should start again the miscellaneous maps topic. I have some ideas, and if you need, I can help you to carry out

For e.:
- map of countries by handedness of traffic
- map of corrent governments' political ideology
- map about the countries' most serious judgments (capital punishment, life imprisonment)
Concerning this, we could create a survey for all nations on the map, and when we get the results back from them we can sort them into the approproate groups. For exmaple:

A survey would be sent out to see which nations drives on the right and left side of the road.. Once a certain number of nations answer this survey with their nation's preference, one of the cartographers would remake the map and sort them into the groups: Right, Left and Neutral. Neutral simply means that they did not take part in the survey. The survey would contain the questions Lorbank suggested and more.
Ok, I will start to ask these questions soon.

Back