Map Discussion Thread

It appears, at least on what I can tell, you are still on the map, in the infamous spot it was before.

Bootsie:
It appears, at least on what I can tell, you are still on the map, in the infamous spot it was before.
Infamous, that's the word... hehe

Syrixia:
I have, as has everyone; missed you though. You should come back! :0 :D
I'm right here Syria :-)
Good to see lots of new nations on the map and that the old(ish) lot's still around!

Lore, just a minor thing but in the NS Wiki page with all the map nations and their sizes... where you have The Rose League, you can just write Kalti instead of the Federation of Kalti.

Nightsong:
Lore, just a minor thing but in the NS Wiki page with all the map nations and their sizes... where you have The Rose League, you can just write Kalti instead of the Federation of Kalti.
Its not "Federation of Kalti", "Callaici", "Andulucia" its supposed to be read as "Federation of" "Kalti, Callaici, and Andulucia". And also its an NSWiki page. Anyone can edit it.

Lord Lore:
Nightsong:
Its not "Federation of Kalti", "Callaici", "Andulucia" its supposed to be read as "Federation of" "Kalti, Callaici, and Andulucia". And also its an NSWiki page. Anyone can edit it.
Ah ok. Thank you for clarifying how it's supposed to be read.

Is there a scale of the map at all? Was looking at something to do with Ravenscrown and was pondering the scale.

Lord Lore, wouldn't it be better if you changed the time zone borders to the countries'' borders?
F. e. Tomb is located in two time zones. I think it would be realistic if you redrew the time zone border to the Tomb-Plembobrian border.

That's not accurate at all. Several countries are split between time zones, including Canada, the US, Australia, Russia, Mexico, and Mongolia.

The issue I have with the Timezone map that Lore uses is that it some ways it goes against the Timezone map that Nierr has.

Lore's: https://jumpshare.com/v/UGfRjh2AdvztVCqYeAuy

Nierr's: https://jumpshare.com/v/xN6R60j2QlxpUbvHIfYw

Me personally, I've based my nation timezone's of off the map that was created by Nierr last year. If I need to update the info I will but I prefer the timezone's wrapping around and matching nation borders (in certain situations) as this is more representative of how timezone's work in real life.

Edit: As a reference on why I prefer the older timezone map... Here is the world today with current timezone's: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e8/Standard_World_Time_Zones.png

The issue with my style of timezone map is that it takes a lot of time to do. Lore already does the vast majority of the map work - and to that I am very much indebted to him - I wouldn't want to increase that any further.

I'll look at making a new timezone map based on the older style, but updates to it will be much less frequent than if Lore kept at it. I'm fine either way.

Lorbank:
Lord Lore, wouldn't it be better if you changed the time zone borders to the countries'' borders?
F. e. Tomb is located in two time zones. I think it would be realistic if you redrew the time zone border to the Tomb-Plembobrian border.
Because I have a standard overlay for it. And I in all honestly would rather construct a pulley system to lift a elephant ontop of my house then even consider trying to change that overlay every time a nation is added, removed or changed.

Lord Lore:
Lorbank:
Because I have a standard overlay for it. And I in all honestly would rather construct a pulley system to lift a elephant ontop of my house then even consider trying to change that overlay every time a nation is added, removed or changed.
Fair enough. Then may I make a suggestion that your timezone overlay and Nierr's timezone overlay match in how many timezones we have? Right now, on one we have -4 to +4 and the other is -4 to +5.

Nightsong:
Lord Lore:
Lorbank:
Fair enough. Then may I make a suggestion that your timezone overlay and Nierr's timezone overlay match in how many timezones we have? Right now, on one we have -4 to +4 and the other is -4 to +5.
Thats cuz I like an even amount of timezones instead of a clunky odd number.

That claim by Fip seems excessively large for a new nation and seems to be a trend among new nations on the map. Instead of working their way up to good size claims through RP and expansions they seem to be "I'll take the left side of the map."

Ive already explained this MORE then once. Even though you don't see it Cartography is taking care of it behind the scene. We talk to people through PMs and etc to not clutter up the thread. That being said, do not make comments about other people's claims in the claim thread. Us Cartography people are quite intelligent and are able to deal without everyone dog piling into the claim thread

Ceretis:
That claim by Fip seems excessively large for a new nation and seems to be a trend among new nations on the map. Instead of working their way up to good size claims through RP and expansions they seem to be "I'll take the left side of the map."
To clarify, this post is ok, because it is in the Discussion Topic, Mystery Player's post however is not.

Not that he was to know, as due to a fault of my own making, there are no rules in the claim topic saying that. This will be corrected.

If I can add as a note, that land would not make him the largest, and someone (Luskania, I believe; something along those lines) had claimed that land beforehand, and was wiped off the map due to inactivity.

Xentherida:
If I can add as a note, that land would not make him the largest, and someone (Luskania, I believe; something along those lines) had claimed that land beforehand, and was wiped off the map due to inactivity.
It's less a comment on his claim exactly, less about where specifically he'd fall in the sizing scale, nor did I believe he'd be the largest claim.

No, the comment is more about the general size /trend of new claims. I get it there is a lot of work behind the scenes in PM and I appreciate the work the map gods have done thus far. I really do like your work and appreciate all you've done. Stellar job, and I thank you, it's hard work and you guys are amazing.

The comment I'm making is that the new series of claims often seem to be quite... ample...
Rather than claiming a more modest size nation starting somewhere near the 'average' +/- or below and working their way up, the claims seem to start on the upper end and by nature will probably work their way up.

I just liked the concept / rule the map seemed to express more directly with a guideline that new claims should look to be about the average / middle +/- or smaller and then work their way up in size over time as a sort of organic growth. The more you place into RP the more you can organically grow as your canon grows.

But whatever I'm sure I'll get purple text and finger wags along with total disagreement; just wanted to get it out there.

I think it is just to be expected. Newer nations will typically believe that the biggest nation is automatically the best. We've been trying to encourage realism for years now. Both in terms of the nations size and the population itself. Seems to be a never ending battle :P

England and France can never mix!
tumblr_mjzcl4vjGE1rlrq11o1_500.gif

It's not as historically impossible as many people think...
English monarchs have traditionally claimed the throne of France until Napoleon and the French Revolution happened, and an Anglo-French union almost happened during WWII.

But in this NationStates timeline, it happens!

Vive le Royaume-Uni de Grande Bretagne et de la République française!

We orbit a small unregarded yellow sun far out in the uncharted backwaters of the fashionable end of the eastern spiral arm of the Galaxy.

Cogoria:
It's the planet of North Pacific
Actually we are on the planet 'Eras' which was formed in TNP canon a while back. Also there are other regions on Eras, they just generally don't play a big role in the whole scheme of things as far as our RP is concerned. You'll notice references now and then to the other regions being made.

Ceretis:
Cogoria:
It's the planet of North Pacific
Actually we are on the planet 'Eras' which was formed in TNP canon a while back. Also there are other regions on Eras, they just generally don't play a big role in the whole scheme of things as far as our RP is concerned. You'll notice references now and then to the other regions being made.
Pretty much. For my part, when I made the map, it was half keeping in mind that we at least shared a world with TSP.

I think we should declare that TSP world is on the other side of the planet but there's a totally cool ridge of superhuge mountains that span the globe on some version of the prime meridian, and air travel can't get over them, boats can't really get through them, and people can't scale them.
just my :2c:

I don't really see a reason why they would need to be so segregated from TNP. I can see there being reasons like the southernmost TNP land to the northernmost TSP land being something like the distance of Hawaii to California (2390 MI/3846 KM). Not inaccessible, but not close; and only recently in history would there have been more communication due to the large distance. (e.g. Only recently are there modes of transportation that have the endurance or speed to properly connect these two regions in any meaningful manner.)

Though I like the idea of there being huge mountain ridges adding to the issues or something; but not ones that are impassible.

Out of curiosity I was wondering why my third claim is on hold? And is there anything I can do to aid in the process of deciding whether it's accepted or not?

I think we should start again the miscellaneous maps topic. I have some ideas, and if you need, I can help you to carry out

For e.:
- map of countries by handedness of traffic
- map of corrent governments' political ideology
- map about the countries' most serious judgments (capital punishment, life imprisonment)

Back