Languages of Eras

Kannex:
I'll stand aside, then, but I will continue to call English English and German as German.
Fine by me. Can we please end the argument here? This is not the point of this thread. Anyhow...

Our main language is Xentheridan Mercanti (a combination of the two, albeit mainly the latter), while our old (tribal) language was simply Xentheridan. Xentheridan is Swedish, with a few made-up words. For example, our currency is a Woof, which IC was the literal translation of Xentheridan, meaning "currency", e.g. (exampleception) fourteen currency for a pair of shoes. "Currency" in that sense is merely a placeholder, but seeing as we have mainly Mercanti, and other nations have their own currency, we only refer to our currency as a "Woof".
We have a common language! Yay!

Perhaps Mercanti (or rather, an early predecessor) was spread to your nation by the Rethenites (early plembobrians) who arrived in the area around the late eighth century, or at least through trade.

plembobria:
Kannex:
I'll stand aside, then, but I will continue to call English English and German as German.
Fine by me. Can we please end the argument here? This is not the point of this thread. Anyhow...

Our main language is Xentheridan Mercanti (a combination of the two, albeit mainly the latter), while our old (tribal) language was simply Xentheridan. Xentheridan is Swedish, with a few made-up words. For example, our currency is a Woof, which IC was the literal translation of Xentheridan, meaning "currency", e.g. (exampleception) fourteen currency for a pair of shoes. "Currency" in that sense is merely a placeholder, but seeing as we have mainly Mercanti, and other nations have their own currency, we only refer to our currency as a "Woof".
We have a common language! Yay!

Perhaps Mercanti (or rather, an early predecessor) was spread to your nation by the Rethenites (early plembobrians) who arrived in the area around the late eighth century, or at least through trade.

Sounds good. It would need to be introduced a little bit earlier (500-100 years?), and Xentherida is quite an old nation (I'm hoping the unification would be around 250BC). However, it sounds a lot like a good idea. We also are a moderately seafaring and mercantile nation, which is where the introduction could come from.

According to my history, Mercanti started being taught in schools in the 1940s with Akbar XI's cultural programs. Before that, Syrixian was the only language spoken. However, Syrixian upper class nobles were often multilingual, as Syrixia had a multitude of colonies. The record for most languages an Emperor could speak was around 8. However, once Mercanti was taught it spread like wildfire. The last of the people not taught Mercanti in schools in Syrixia are very old and should be dead very soon.

Most of the Naizerri populace speak Sango, and it is endorsed by the government as the official language. Knowledge of Mercanti/English is heavily encouraged and widespread due to past relationships with McM.

Nierr speaks Mercanti.

Tolima probably speaks some form of Spanish that I may need to have a chat with surrounding nations and islands about, and a smattering of Mercanti as well.

Fun fact: In Sillish, Mercanti/Mercantish is "Meracane", which is surprisingly close to the "American" most of us speak. :P

Kannex:
I am saying there is simply no need to rename English and the other RL languages. If you call a radio a radio, you can call English English. You don't need to rename English or to say it comes from this or that made-up place in order to say it exists in this world.
>There's no country called England
>No way to call English English

It's not that hard.

Funkadelia:
Kannex:
I am saying there is simply no need to rename English and the other RL languages. If you call a radio a radio, you can call English English. You don't need to rename English or to say it comes from this or that made-up place in order to say it exists in this world.
>There's no country called England
>No way to call English English

It's not that hard.
Just drop it. If it's easier for him to refer to something as an RL language, there's no need to persecute him for it. You don't have to call it English, he doesn't have to call it Mercanti.

Hey while I have you both here (Funk and Yera), can you tell me anything about what RL language or languages your nation's native language is based on or similar to?

SillyString:
Hey while I have you both here (Funk and Yera), can you tell me anything about what RL language or languages your nation's native language is based on or similar to?
Funkadelian is based on Ethiopian Amharic (as much of the nation and its customs are a syncretism of Nigeria, Ethiopia, and the Central African Empire) and its script is also based on Amharic (which I am finding difficult to become familiar with, because there aren't many ways online to study Amharic and how the characters are structured).

SillyString:
It's not based on anything as far as I'm aware, except for following English Grammatical rules because I'm lazy.

Now that I've shifted to Dallicania, its language is going to be (obviously) Dallicanian, which is an Austronesian language, like old/pure Tagalog (purged of foreign elements), written in the indigenous script.

Kannex:
Arux:
Bootsie:
Guslantis has five official languages:

English - Most common.

French - Diplomacy

Spanish - Prevalent in Augustus Town

German - Native language

Japanese - Prevalent in Miragea and Carrotopolis
Those Languages wouldn't actually exist in Eras.
You want to go there? Humans wouldn't exist on Eras. Modern diplomacy and politics as we know it wouldn't exist on Eras. Guns and warships and aircraft carriers wouldn't exist on Eras. What's the chance that another inhabitable planet in the universe would develop the same civilization and species as Earth?

So honestly it makes no difference.
Those Languages where made by civilizations that doesn't exist in Eras. Also, the names of languages have to have meanings. The only way these would work is if a civilization/nation in TNP calls themselves Spain or Germany.

Arux:
Kannex:
Arux:
Bootsie:

English - Most common.

French - Diplomacy

German - Native language

You want to go there? Humans wouldn't exist on Eras. Modern diplomacy and politics as we know it wouldn't exist on Eras. Guns and warships and aircraft carriers wouldn't exist on Eras. What's the chance that another inhabitable planet in the universe would develop the same civilization and species as Earth?

Those Languages where made by civilizations that doesn't exist in Eras. Also, the names of languages have to have meanings. The only way these would work is if a civilization/nation in TNP calls themselves Spain or Germany.
*Arux being a needlessly trivial pedant*

Dude. He can call it how he wishes. Lay the fuck off him. I could call a language Flurblejerglerbian and no one would know what that means or how it sounds. I call it Mandarin instead, *gasp* people suddenly understand.

Yeraennus:
Arux:
Kannex:
Arux:
Bootsie:

English - Most common.

French - Diplomacy

German - Native language

*Arux being a needlessly trivial pedant*

Dude. He can call it how he wishes. Lay the fuck off him. I could call a language Flurblejerglerbian and no one would know what that means or how it sounds. I call it Mandarin instead, *gasp* people suddenly understand.
:agree:

To elaborate slightly, Arux, the debate has run its course and reached conclusion, if you read back in the thread a bit you can read that. We can encourage nations to voluntarily participate in certain schemes laid out by us but ultimately we would never violate a nation's practical right to internal canon. Having said that, we'd appreciate it if you accepted that conclusion and ceased bringing it up.

Yrkidding is entirely correct - and posts in the correct way to boot.

Tip: if you're getting annoyed or angry, step back from the conversation for a bit.

Hiskjriaana has four official languages: English, Icelandic, Quenya, and Sindarin. Hiskjriaana is a lot like Iceland in which there was no native inhabitants, but in Hisk there were two main groups of immigrants that came- ones who spoke Icelandic and ones who spoke Elvish (both dialects), but now they are so intermingled that the two groups don't really exist anymore, and Icelandic has emerged as the dominent language (although Quenya and Sindarin are still widely spoken in some parts). English was just kind of picked up along the way 'cause everyone else was doing it.

Hiskjriaana:
Hiskjriaana has four official languages: English, Icelandic, Quenya, and Sindarin. Hiskjriaana is a lot like Iceland in which there was no native inhabitants, but in Hisk there were two main groups of immigrants that came- ones who spoke Icelandic and ones who spoke Elvish (both dialects), but now they are so intermingled that the two groups don't really exist anymore, and Icelandic has emerged as the dominent language (although Quenya and Sindarin are still widely spoken in some parts). English was just kind of picked up along the way 'cause everyone else was doing it.
Ayy, non-native buddies! There weren't any major populations of Yeraenn on the island (I need a name for it, seeing as it's the main island in the chain) until like ~3000 BCE, and the other group didn't even arive till about 2000 years later.

We seem to be rather close geographically. These two events could be related. I can of course, alter the arrival dates a bit in order to line up with you, if that would work with you.

I lost the list I've been putting together, but so far the oddest ones out are

Naizerre: The only nation with a language in the Niger-Congo family
Funkadelia: The only nation with a language in the Afro-Asiatic family
Shei Ren: The only nation with a language in the Austroasiatic family.

SillyString, Tir na Andalucia, and Dallicania are also odd - they are the only three in the Austronesian family, with the first two being Oceanic/Polynesian and the latter being Phillipine, and they're more than a little scattered across the globe.

Everyone else who has reported in (except for Myroria and Yeraennus, for which there is no easy language family comparison to make) is in the Indoeuropean language branch, with sub-families of Italic, Germanic, Celtic, and Indo-Iranian.

I'm working on a language map that will show the distribution, and whatever the result is will have historical implications for our world. The most likely result will be no clear pattern of language history, so we should all start thinking about how and why that came to pass.

Oh, and Syrixia, Funk, and Nierr might wanna work on why their languages are utterly isolated... particularly in the case of Shei Ren, which is right off the coast of the Indoeuropean-based Syrixia.

The reason is pretty much the reason Sango exists anyway - it's a vehicular language built up along the trade routes through old Naizerre, which stretched as far south as Shiraq in the south to McM in the north.

I reworked the history a bit; the Syrixians originally had a much more Austroasiatic language, however contact with Mercanti-speaking tradesmen and other Indoeuropean-family languages slowly changed Syrixia into an Indoeuropean language. Shei Ren, however, remained isolated from Syrixia. This is how it developed an affinity for direct democracy. And also how it kept its Austroasiatic language.

I've decided that my language will be called Qualech. It will be my own invention but I'm basing it off of Anglo-Saxon.

Well, Low Yeraenn isn't easily compared to any other language. High Yeraenn is much more Slavic, with possibly some Germanic roots, which does kinda separate it from the rest of the world. Yeraennus is just a scrap-bin for languages, I suppose.

Nierr: That's definitely a plausible scenario for a Creole, but only if the surrounding areas speak the progenitor languages. Maybe McM could agree that the native language of his territory on that continent spoke a niger-congo language? Even better if you could get Raven, Shiraq, and Azen on board as well.

Syrixia: That's not quite how language evolution works. :P Exposure between languages leads to interesting vocabulary crosses and sometimes grammatical shifts, but with rare exceptions both originals keep their roots. An example of this is the case of modern-day Iran: Farsi is the old native tongue, and during the rise of Islam centuries ago, the area was taken over, Arabic became the language of power and government, and Farsi was relegated to a lowly and looked-down-upon tongue. As a result, it increasingly fell from prominence and over time lost a huge amount of its vocabulary. With the rise of Iranian nationalism during the 20th century, Farsi became cherished as a source of national pride, and became elevated once again... but most of the vocabulary that was lost can never be recovered, and was substituted with Arabic words. But despite sharing very similar alphabets and a ton of vocabulary, when it comes to grammar Farsi is light years closer to English than to Arabic - it's still an Indo-European language.

It could have turned out somewhat differently - Farsi could have been so decimated as to be unrecoverable, and Arabic could have taken root as a permanent replacement, in which case modern-day Iran would speak Arabic or a close derivative.

Another good example is English, William the Conquerer, etc. I don't feel like getting into all the details, but the summary is that English was relegated to the lowest classes and experienced grammatical alterations as a result of exposure to French and Latin, but remains to this day Germanic at heart.

Anyway, would an invasion make sense in Syrixian history? Oppressed for a century or two, finally overthrew the invaders but had lost their old language in the meantime?

Yeraennus: Slavic, sounds good. Way to fit in with the rest of Indo-Europe. :P

Not sure how to handle the relative isolation of Myroria's language - the best concept I have so far for it is that, like the Salishan languages, there are perhaps multiple dialects and languages in a small area, some mutually intelligible with each other, and "Myrorian" is the largest of them and spoken as a lingua franca/taught as a secondary language in schools.

The least spoken of these multiple languages might be extinct or only spoken by a handful of elderly people living relatively isolated in the Myrorian forests.

Well, you said it was closest to French in structure - that's probably good enough, with its actual phonetic makeup being whatever. You could also throw out the French part, call it Basque, and be done with it. :P

Language isolate might work, though I always felt like it was a bit of a cop-out! :P OOC I'm fine with it being grouped with Indo-European languages but IC I don't really see how it could be related to the other nations in that grouping - that's the only thing I'm hesitant about.

Just a few new remarks about my nations: Tir na Andalucia speaks Andalucian which is based on modern day Welsh. Callaici speaks Callaician and is either going to be based off Latin or another language. I haven't finalized all the changes yet.

An invasion wouldn't make sense, because I'd have to rework my history. Lolno.

Perhaps traders speaking some earlier Mercanti would've found and possibly populated what would become Magadha? They'd help the trading confederacy spring up and possibly cause the language of the Syrixians to become Mercanti-influenced, and eventually full on Indo-European. The original language would be a more Austroasiatic Hindi. Plus it'd explain the race of the Syrixians. The traders could've crossbred with the original Syrixians, who were very Dravidian-skinned, and made their skin lighten to an Indo-Aryan color.

The primary language of Sadakoyama is called "Kagaku", which is the same as the word for science. It is similar to Japanese and is spoke throughout the country. It forms the backbone of Sadakhan communication because of the nation's emphasis on science and education. Everyone in Sadakoyama is required to be proficient in it. Kagaku, as a language of science, is very precise; there are no homonyms or multiple meanings of words as in other languages. This makes it awkward to use in daily life and near impossible to use for literature or poetry. Kagaku is a refinement of an older language, "Wen" that forms the common root of most of the Sadakhan languages.

Wen is similar to Mandarin; Where Kagaku is flexible and able to absorb new loan words, Wen is less so. Wen is extremely formal and its use in Sadakoyama is similar to Classical Greek and Latin in 19th Century Europe; To lend an air of solemnity and dignity to the few ceremonies the Sadakhan celebrate and for literature and poetry—most of the works of Sojunism are in Wen. The only place where Wen is used on a regular basis is in the Sojun sanctuaries in the Mount Sadakoyama region.

There are dialects of Wen, the primary one being "Zou" (similar to Cantonese, but less differentiated from Wen as Cantonese is from Mandarin; more akin to the relationship between British and American English). Zou is the primary language of Yushan and Goliad, who will speak Zou in daily life, with Kagaku being used for science and education work, and usually Mercanti as an additional language.

Khandava, Marsei and Beaumonde have their own unique linguistic traditions. Khandavan is based on Syrixian roots, but has so highly diverged from that language as to be mutually unintelligible. (There was once a thriving culture in Khandava originating from ancient Syrixian expats; the civilization collapsed but the people continued to occupy the region and retained their language even after being uplifted by the Sadakhan.

Marsei speaks a French-similar language (Archlancer?) that like Khandavan, is highly diverged from its source, called "Marceline". There was an early, Provence/Tuscan like civilization there before the Sadakhan that was largely wiped out by a volcanic eruption, though enough speakers survived to keep the language alive until the Sadakhan came. The civilization's rich literary legacy helped as well. Marceline, unlike Kagaku, is highly figurative and forms the basis of much of Sadakoyama's cultural life. It is widely spoken in Xanadu as well, and is the second most common language in Academy City.

Beaumonde speaks a unique creole of Marceline, with frequent borrowings of words and phrases from Khandavan and Zou; it is said if you want to get anywhere with a Beaumondi just speak Mercanti.

Mercanti is widely spoken and is the second-most common tongue overall, and can be relied on throughout most of Sadakoyama.

Nearly every language in Eras is spoken by someone in Academy City, sometimes even dead ones.

Piscivore:
The primary language of Sadakoyama is called "Kagaku", which is the same as the word for science. It is similar to Japanese and is spoke throughout the country. It forms the backbone of Sadakhan communication because of the nation's emphasis on science and education. Everyone in Sadakoyama is required to be proficient in it. Kagaku, as a language of science, is very precise; there are no homonyms or multiple meanings of words as in other languages. This makes it awkward to use in daily life and near impossible to use for literature or poetry. Kagaku is a refinement of an older language, "Wen" that forms the common root of most of the Sadakhan languages.

Wen is similar to Mandarin; Where Kagaku is flexible and able to absorb new loan words, Wen is less so. Wen is extremely formal and its use in Sadakoyama is similar to Classical Greek and Latin in 19th Century Europe; To lend an air of solemnity and dignity to the few ceremonies the Sadakhan celebrate and for literature and poetry—most of the works of Sojunism are in Wen. The only place where Wen is used on a regular basis is in the Sojun sanctuaries in the Mount Sadakoyama region.

There are dialects of Wen, the primary one being "Zou" (similar to Cantonese, but less differentiated from Wen as Cantonese is from Mandarin; more akin to the relationship between British and American English). Zou is the primary language of Yushan and Goliad, who will speak Zou in daily life, with Kagaku being used for science and education work, and usually Mercanti as an additional language.

Khandava, Marsei and Beaumonde have their own unique linguistic traditions. Khandavan is based on Syrixian roots, but has so highly diverged from that language as to be mutually unintelligible. (There was once a thriving culture in Khandava originating from ancient Syrixian expats; the civilization collapsed but the people continued to occupy the region and retained their language even after being uplifted by the Sadakhan.

Marsei speaks a French-similar language (Archlancer?) that like Khandavan, is highly diverged from its source, called "Marceline". There was an early, Provence/Tuscan like civilization there before the Sadakhan that was largely wiped out by a volcanic eruption, though enough speakers survived to keep the language alive until the Sadakhan came. The civilization's rich literary legacy helped as well. Marceline, unlike Kagaku, is highly figurative and forms the basis of much of Sadakoyama's cultural life. It is widely spoken in Xanadu as well, and is the second most common language in Academy City.

Beaumonde speaks a unique creole of Marceline, with frequent borrowings of words and phrases from Khandavan and Zou; it is said if you want to get anywhere with a Beaumondi just speak Mercanti.

Mercanti is widely spoken and is the second-most common tongue overall, and can be relied on throughout most of Sadakoyama.

Nearly every language in Eras is spoken by someone in Academy City, sometimes even dead ones.
You might have a bit of difficulty with ancient Etrebean, only the highest clergy are permitted to even enter the great library of Kul Katura where the only surviving records of the Etrebean empire are kept. The Khan only gets to enter because it's part of their training to learn from the records and never repeat the mistakes of the Etrebeans.

Okay, so, if I want to use Mercanti, I'm going to have to convert all of my other languages to other names. Any suggestions?

Bootsie:
Okay, so, if I want to use Mercanti, I'm going to have to convert all of my other languages to other names. Any suggestions?
IIRC:

French- Keep as French; it originated in the modern-day Lancerian Empire
German- Keep as German, Kannex and I agreed on such
Spanish- Añolan, probably. Maybe Augustus Town has a lot of ethnic Añolans?
English- Mercanti, as agreed.
Japanese- Kagaku, perhaps? (Pisc's language that is the most similar to Japanese)

@Piscivore: Just wanted to know, because before 215 Syrixia didn't exist.

Syrixia:
Japanese- Kagaku, perhaps? (Pisc's language that is the most similar to Japanese)

@Piscivore: Just wanted to know, because before 215 Syrixia didn't exist.
Kagaku is a branch of the Sadakh language group, which would include Wen and Zou, but it would be unique to Sadakoyama because we brought it with us in the mid 19th century; "Japanese" native to Eras would have to come from a different root. If other nations wanted to adopt Kagaku for their scientists, that would be great, but it's like Esperanto; pretty new.

One thing I forgot to mention; Kagaku, like E Prime, has no word(s) for "to be".

@Syrixia - I think we talked about 300ish? Was that CE (Common Era; secular equivalent of "AD")?

Myroria:
Language isolate might work, though I always felt like it was a bit of a cop-out! :P OOC I'm fine with it being grouped with Indo-European languages but IC I don't really see how it could be related to the other nations in that grouping - that's the only thing I'm hesitant about.
It could be distantly related to Low Yeraenn, if you're willing to work on something there with me.

On another note, the Yeraenn languages, especially Low Yeraenn, are both rather formal and archaic sounding when directly translated, for instance, the sentence "Lo'usa sul'aesana ha'as su'na zi'aes" in Low Yeraenn indirectly translates to "Their [child] will sleep when [darkness] exists." To point out the subbed words, Lo'usa literally means "Their familiar subordinate" taken in context and su'na literally means "The absence of brightness", so you would get "Their familiar subordinate will sleep when the absence of brightness exists."

Both languages do borrow from their neighbors for a lot of words as well. For example they don't, like many real world languages, have a native word for "Cringe", and instead use the Mercanti word adapted to their language "h'rinz"

Wolfsea:
Piscivore:
You might have a bit of difficulty with ancient Etrebean, only the highest clergy are permitted to even enter the great library of Kul Katura where the only surviving records of the Etrebean empire are kept. The Khan only gets to enter because it's part of their training to learn from the records and never repeat the mistakes of the Etrebeans.
Well, I did say "Nearly". :)

That said, it wouldn't be beyond us to try and sneak a high-resolution multi-spectrum micro camera into a fancy hat or other item of clerical vestment. And someone has to go in sometimes to change the light bulbs or to see to the cleaning. :)

Kalti:
Just a few new remarks about my nations: Tir na Andalucia speaks Andalucian which is based on modern day Welsh. Callaici speaks Callaician and is either going to be based off Latin or another language. I haven't finalized all the changes yet.

Well drat, now it's just SillyString speaking a Polynesian language. :P Chalk that up as another win for Indo-European.

Bootsie:
Can you work out a history where Sadakhan dissidents immigrated to Guslantis? That's the only way a Japanese-derivative would make any kind of sense as a major language in your country. :P

Myroria:
Yeah, it's definitely a cop-out in an RP setting. It can be IE in structure but different in sounds; phonetic morphs not only happen but are inevitable. Not usually to the extent of being unrecognizable, but certainly if another langauge is prominent in a region the phonology can change very rapidly.

Syrixia:
An invasion wouldn't make sense, because I'd have to rework my history. Lolno.

Perhaps traders speaking some earlier Mercanti would've found and possibly populated what would become Magadha? They'd help the trading confederacy spring up and possibly cause the language of the Syrixians to become Mercanti-influenced, and eventually full on Indo-European. The original language would be a more Austroasiatic Hindi. Plus it'd explain the race of the Syrixians. The traders could've crossbred with the original Syrixians, who were very Dravidian-skinned, and made their skin lighten to an Indo-Aryan color.
"Austroasiatic Hindi"... I don't even know what to do with this term. :P

I mean, it's not fundamentally a huge deal if language history isn't perfect, but creating a coherent one certainly makes our world more... formed, more thought-out.

There are Austroasiatic languages in some parts of India, but they are emphatically not Hindi - they are generally known as Munda langauges and are very very restricted in territory (the Wiki page has an image if you're curious). They have a total of under 10 million speakers, and are related to southeast asian languages like Khmer and Vietnamese. Modern Standard Hindi, on the other hand, to the extent that such exists given the huge variety of local dialects in the country, derives from Hindustani/Urdu (of which modern Urdu is a standardization/adaptation), and is otherwise related to Bengali, Sindhi, Punjabi, and other Indo-Aryan languages - ultimately deriving from Proto-Indo-European, just like English and so on.

So... if you want to shift to the native language being a different native Indian tongue, that can easily work. But different language families are... fundamentally distinct, and it's basically not possible for a language to jump from Indo-European to Austroasiatic. That split happened a loooooong time ago.

I haven't seen any other nation that speaks french yet, whereas it's the primary language of The Lancerian Empire, is itnpossible that French (given a new name of course) developed as the native language of Archlancer Island?

Back