Ceci n'est ce pas une proposition

To be fair, the arms do violated some rules of heraldry. Actually my Coat of Arms violates the rule of tincture. You think I'd do something about it. :headbang:

Looking at the coats of arms side by side, the new one looks way better.

EDIT: Does anyone here besides Plemby actually care about the rules of heraldry and how Lennart's coat of arms supposedly violates them? This isn't medieval Europe. :lol:

Lol I'm pretty sure Plemby is talking about his own Coat of Arms, not mine, mine doesn't violate anything.

Also, it's not like violating the tincture rules here and there is a major problem, but if you care enough to make an heraldic emblem you might as well want it to be well done. Respecting the rules means a more serious job.

Also NS is still down for me :/ why would anyone attack NS servers anyway?

Lennart:
Lol I'm pretty sure Plemby is talking about his own Coat of Arms, not mine, mine doesn't violate anything.
I was talking about the current TNP arms, as well as mine.

Lennart:
Also, it's not like violating the tincture rules here and there is a major problem, but if you care enough to make an heraldic emblem you might as well want it to be well done. Respecting the rules means a more serious job.
:agree: Yeah. Heraldry is an art form. Following the rules shows class.

SillyString:
Can I second r3n's suggestion of getting rid of the frog toes? :P
I was thinking of doing it but, for some reason, I thought it would be an unpopular idea.

I will work on it when I finish my fried chicken.

Also Plemby has a new Coat of Arms and it is awesomesauce.

OK, so here's a quick no frogs edition of the North Star flag. From now on, I will use just TNP blue, even if it's not my favourite shade of blue, it's bright and cool enough. The first version just with the frogs edited out and the second one with the UN laurels that some (MCM ¬¬) missed on earlier designs. Only this time the laurel wreath is where it should be.

wtvpyv.png

33oo195.png

If you're curious like me about how they display in-game, I just set the second design as the flag for my nation Alexandria and my region Logres

Syrixia:
Yea, I think I like the "frog toes" better. They look ornate.
Yeah, but I think the wreath as in the last design, looks even better... Check my Region Logres to see what it looks like, then check The North Pacific to compare with the current one, the current frog thingy looks a bit like a bunch of swords thrusting the escutcheon... or something.

The CoA with the wreath does look better on the flag, because it's too small to notice the discrepancies, but when posting the coat of arms in a foreign update or whatever on a forum, you can see that it's not that high quality close up. Someone needs to touch up on it.

Syrixia:
The CoA with the wreath does look better on the flag, because it's too small to notice the discrepancies, but when posting the coat of arms in a foreign update or whatever on a forum, you can see that it's not that high quality close up. Someone needs to touch up on it.
I'll do it myself, when I have a more or less final idea. Now it's all a concept, so I can't be bothered.

This is obviously not the design I would like to move to a vote.

Hey Lenny, I'd like to mess around with the design a little. Do you have a copy of just the coat of arms (without the flag behind it)?

Oh, I meant getting rid of the ball-toes but not the whole compass behind it. For example, maybe change the tips to a style more like this? I like that it keeps an elegance but is less frog-toe cartoony. There are other tip options as well if this one's not popular.

Maybe we could play around with some different compass styles?

Also I like your newer deeper blue better than classic bright.

Bootsie:
Hey Lenny, I'd like to mess around with the design a little. Do you have a copy of just the coat of arms (without the flag behind it)?
cut it from the flag lol

Oh, I meant getting rid of the ball-toes but not the whole compass behind it. For example, maybe change the tips to a style more like this? I like that it keeps an elegance but is less frog-toe cartoony. There are other tip options as well if this one's not popular.

Maybe we could play around with some different compass styles?

Also I like your newer deeper blue better than classic bright.

I like your input a lot, with the compass you kind of read my mind... I'm just afraid of changing so many things.

Anyway, I'll start working on it right now.

See you guys in a bit.

Well, the compass rose is a bit of a pain in the arse tbh, I've tried 4 or 5 cool roses but they don't really fit that nicely. Tomorrow I'll try some simple ones.

This is my best result so far, with the one SS linked me to.

a3pkwm.png

Also the crown is simpler and I'm doing things a bit cleaner.

So, I tried working with some designs, and well, they all looked like crap. I was actually thinking the compass (It's a compass? Wow, that's not what I thought it was) was supposed to be a ship wheel because we're the North Pacific, so a wheel is also cool. If someone would care to mess with the wheel, I was using this silhouette:

[img=292,300]http://concreteresurrection.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/c/kc-nau-1_2.jpg[/img]

Bootsie:
So, I tried working with some designs, and well, they all looked like crap. I was actually thinking the compass (It's a compass? Wow, that's not what I thought it was) was supposed to be a ship wheel because we're the North Pacific, so a wheel is also cool. If someone would care to mess with the wheel, I was using this silhouette:

[img=292,300]http://concreteresurrection.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/c/kc-nau-1_2.jpg[/img]
I'll give it a go tomorrow

Cheers

Lennart:
Well, the compass rose is a bit of a pain in the arse tbh, I've tried 4 or 5 cool roses but they don't really fit that nicely. Tomorrow I'll try some simple ones.

This is my best result so far, with the one SS linked me to.

a3pkwm.png

Also the crown is simpler and I'm doing things a bit cleaner.
Very nice, but the only problem is the crest itself blocks the compass, so it's difficult telling what those four points are for anyway if you don't know they're the points of a compass. I'd try Boots's ship wheel.

Just some advice though, golden ship wheel. Do that. Amazing, it will be.

Yoda, I apparently am now. Nyahahaha.

I'd actually think it might look good using a rustic brown with gold tips, similar to the frog toes, but you know, shaped like a wheel tip.

Bootsie:
I'd actually think it might look good using a rustic brown with gold tips, similar to the frog toes, but you know, shaped like a wheel tip.
This.

A new design based on Bootsie's idea, but with a rather simple wheel:

9husnt.png

I personally like this one quite a lot.

hope you like it as well, and thanks for your feedback!

Lennart:
A new design based on Bootsie's idea, but with a rather simple wheel:

9husnt.png

I personally like this one quite a lot.

hope you like it as well, and thanks for your feedback!
I think it would look better if the wheel was brown or gold and the wreath wasn't there. Simple but effective.

Syrixia:
I think it would look better if the wheel was brown or gold and the wreath wasn't there. Simple but effective.
Brown: not a good idea, it doesn't look cool enough and is not a cool heraldic addition.
Gold: no good contrast with the white background, metal on metal.
Brown and gold: as bad as the combination of two bad ideas.

This is my best try on those ideas, though, can't say I like it:
sz8xw9.png

And with a black wheel but without the wreath:
fu3uqr.png

I like the wreath for two reasons: 1) it is in the current, official arms, so it's technically kind of a TRADITION! and 2) green is a bright colour that creates a good contrast and makes the arms and the flag look more complete and meaningful.

Thanks for your comments Syrixia, I'm having fun with all the ideas and contributions!

I like your last design, Lennart, with the wheel playing the role of the compass rose, and the wreath. The only issue I find is that it is a tad off-center. Other than that, I would support that as our new CoA and flag.

I dunno.... with the laurels there it looks kind of crowded on the outside.

I think my favorite is still the one with the froggy-toed compass. Tradition?

SillyString:
I dunno.... with the laurels there it looks kind of crowded on the outside.

I think my favorite is still the one with the froggy-toed compass. Tradition?
Yeah, I think I'm gonna agree with Asta on this one. The new shield on the old froggytoe compass looked the best.

I'll preface my comment by saying that all I know about heraldry is how to spell it. Anyway..

I kinda like the ship's wheel actually. The gold and brown don't really work for me, but the 3D detailing I like. Thematically ok for TNP at any rate. Perhaps you could shrink the shield a bit so that the edges touch the inner rim of the wheel? As for the laurel, how would it look wrapped around the star in the middle? It would eat up some of the red anyway. I'll leave it up to you to figure out the color schemes and adherence to heraldic rules. My :2c:

I like the one with the wreath based on Bootsie's idea, but I can't stand the castle. I'm not sure why. I think I preferred the castle without the red and blue.

Of course it goes without saying that your doing an amazing job whether I like it or not. :)

OK, so I have a... final version. I know I've said that before, but this time I really mean it. I like this one more than anything I did before in this thread and it also keeps the Compass Rose, the Waves, the Colour scheme, the Laurel, The Mural Crown and adds the North Star.

2pyxtdz.png

309mws1.png

Lennart:
OK, so I have a... final version. I know I've said that before, but this time I really mean it. I like this one more than anything I did before in this thread and it also keeps the Compass Rose, the Waves, the Colour scheme, the Laurel, The Mural Crown and adds the North Star.

2pyxtdz.png

309mws1.png
I like this, a lot. The frog toes/dangly balls looked stupid.

Maybe the compass points could be a little fatter; when it is displayed smaller they might disappear.

Let's have a vote between the frog toes one and that laurel compass one. Winner take all.

Thank you for the idea, Syrixia and Plembobria!

I'll let some time pass so more people see this last design and maybe also tell us their opinion about such a poll.

For now I'm going to repost what those two designs look like:

30tqw3q.png
2pyxtdz.png
4qhoo4.png

Back