Joint Plan of Action

plembobria

TNPer
-
The following is a proposal of terms for the re-admission of Syrixia. If this agreement is passed by the Assembly Syrixia will be re-admitted as a member of the NPTO upon its agreement to the terms.

The Assembly North Pacific Treaty Organization, seeking rapprochement between ourselves and the Most Serene Republic of Syrixia, do establish this agreement.

The following is an agreement between the North Pacific Treaty Organization (hereinafter referred to as "the Organization") and the Most Serene Republic of Syrixia (hereinafter referred to as "the Republic"). The Republic shall be re-admitted to the Organization upon its notification to the Chairman of their ratification of this agreement.

Section 1: Military Agreements

The Republic agrees to limit the number of active members of the State Assault Federal Forces to a maximum of five hundred thousand.

Section 2: Nuclear Agreements

"Warheads" shall be defined as any device relying on nuclear fission or fusion for the purpose of destruction.

"Method of delivery" shall be defined as any device used to transport a warhead to its target.

"Yield" shall be defined as the amount of Trinitrotoluene (TNT) that could be used to produce an explosion equal to the explosion of a warhead.

The Republic agrees to disclose the details of its nuclear program specifically:-
  • The maximum yield achieved in tests
  • All methods of Delivery of which the Republic is capable
  • The number of warheads possessed

Additionally, the Republic agrees to notify the Organization of any yield exceeding the reported maximum at the ratification of this agreement.

This section shall not be construed to require any other information not aforesaid from the Republic regarding it's nuclear program.

The Republic agrees that the number of warheads in its possession shall not exceed one hundred.

Section 3: War Agreements

The Republic agrees that, should the said Republic declare war on any other nation, the Organization shall be notified of the declaration, the reasons for the declaration, and the goals of the Republic in said war.

This section shall not be construed to deny the Republic its sovereign right to declarations of war.

This agreement shall enter into force on upon its ratification by the Assembly and Republic, according to its proper constitutional procedure.

Section 4: Violations

Upon violations of this agreement, the delegation accusing the Republic shall present evidence of the supposed violation to the Assembly, and the Republic's delegation shall have the right to contest said evidence. The Assembly shall decide, by two-thirds vote, (in which the Republic shall not be allowed to vote) the veracity of the supposed violation. If the Assembly shall confirm the violation, this agreement shall be null and void, and the Republic shall be suspended from the Organization.

I find nothing wrong with this proposal, and if the Republic agrees to these terms I look forward to their rapprochement into the Organization. Having said that, if the Republic steps out of line again following the ratification of this proposal, the Cascadian delegation will not support any other second chances. Cascadia has since the beginning supported an anti-war stance, and we cannot risk another war.

- Delegation from Cascadia

(OOC: I will be willing to accept most of the terms listed, but only one million troops? That's harsh. Not only would that put tons of people out of a job, that'd also make Syrixia the laughing stock of the region. Its military would be small enough that it wouldn't even be able to defend itself. If you don't like big armies, go condemn Kalti. SAFF's personnel amounts were based off his numbers, which aren't too far from mine. It's not about the size of the army, but it's about what a country does with it. Instead of turning my nation into a helpless whelp, make it so that it cannot go to war without a truly proper casus belli. Hell, that regulation should be imposed on ALL nations.)

I disagree with the agreement in two spots in particular.

In section 1, the army maximum is stated at one million. This is highly ridiculous, and I will not be voting for an agreement at which the number of Syrixian troops is at least five or ten times larger than the Guslant Armed Forces. Not that I'm wanting to go and fight the Republic anytime soon, but if it wanted, the Republic could attack Pigletville using its army, and the GAF would be ill-prepared. After looking at my statistics and consulting with my aides, we in Pigletville see one million troops as too many for the Syrixian army. May I remind the delegation that this nation just was on one of the sides of a regional war? Obviously, we must come down to a more reasonable count. The delegation hereby suggests an army not exceeding 100,000, if not less.

In section 2, the number of warheads is listed at 100. What, one for each of us? Should we just let him blow up our capital cities? I'm sorry, but one is excessive enough, much less, 100. I ask that this number be reviewed.

Thank you.

Ryan Pittman
Minister of Human Services
NPTO Representative of Guslantis

(This time arguing from an IC standpoint.)

If we may just peek in, we'd like to note that while the demanded warhead count is fine with us, 1 million troops is extremely diminutive. Not only would that put tons of people out of a job, that'd also make Syrixia the laughing stock of the region. Its military would be small enough that it wouldn't even be able to defend itself. If the NPTO doesn't like big armies, go condemn Kalti. SAFF's personnel amounts following the reforms were based off their military numbers, which aren't too far from SAFF's. It's not about the size of the army, but it's about what a country does with it. Instead of turning our nation into a helpless whelp, make it so that it cannot go to war without a truly proper casus belli. In fact, that regulation should be imposed on ALL nations.

Syrixia:
(OOC: I will be willing to accept most of the terms listed, but only one million troops? That's harsh. Not only would that put tons of people out of a job, that'd also make Syrixia the laughing stock of the region. Its military would be small enough that it wouldn't even be able to defend itself. If you don't like big armies, go condemn Kalti. SAFF's personnel amounts were based off his numbers, which aren't too far from mine. It's not about the size of the army, but it's about what a country does with it. Instead of turning my nation into a helpless whelp, make it so that it cannot go to war without a truly proper casus belli. Hell, that regulation should be imposed on ALL nations.)
(OOC: I'd like to refute this claim on my nation's military size. Kalti has a standing army of 250,000 personnel spread between the military, the air force and the navy with an additional 25,000 personnel in reserve. You are thinking of the Confederation's military size as a whole which has 750,000 personnel with 75,000 personnel in reserve (split three ways across three nations, as detailed here: http://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=455340).)

Syrixia is the laughing stock of the region because it maintains a military of over 4 million. Syrixia's militaristic nature is felt across the region as as threat to regional stability. Guslantis has declared their opposition to this resolution because it is not harsh enough. And to address what the nation "does with its military," Syrixia was suspended from the NPTO specifically because of what it has done with its military.

You cannot prevent war by preparing for it. The territorial integrity of Syrixia can be easily defended with a maximum of one million active soldiers. I will further point out that I am referring to active, soldiers not reserve forces.

The Royal Plembobrian defense force, for instance, is approximately 39,000 active duty soldiers, and our territorial integrity is respected.

Syrixia does not wield a 4 million man military for simply defense purposes, it wields it for aggression. That is precisely why they put the word "assault" in the name.Their pretext of "defense" is laughing stock in its own right.

We do not desire to disarm Syrixia, we seek to put an end to its aggression. That is the policy of this Organization. If Syrixia does not want to meet our requests they can continue on in isolation.

(OOC: a 4-million man military is enough to make any nation feel threatened, even allies. The largest military in the world is China's and that is only 2 million active soldiers.)

(OOC: Oh, ok, Kalti.)

Syrixia has decided to accept the Joint Plan of Action and is restructuring its military promptly. Due to the incoming McMasterdonian economic collapse, the soldiers discharged will be assisted by the Syrixian government to help find jobs in industry. This should help Syrixia immensely.

As Syrixia has around 300 to 400 warheads, we will be downsizing that to 100 and using the materials from the other warheads for scientific purposes.

Following the Great War, Syrixia wants nothing more than peace. We now see that this is a key part in the bringing about of such a peace.

What is this ridiculousness? You're actually voting yes to a Syrixian military with one million troops? Are you wanting another war? I can't believe the NPTO delegates are actually pondering this. The Nebulan, Syrixian, and Kannexian armies have not even taken a second look at the war damages, and instead, they used all their time making cute little peace ornaments for the Auburn Festival and singing happy songs of peace! Keep your ornaments! We all know that Alfred Nursson is a liar, we all know he did not want peace in the Great War, so why, please tell me why, do we expect him to be any more peaceful now that he has a quarter of his army and a third of his warheads? Is that what makes someone peaceful? Abigail Hilley, who is credited with the founding of NPTO, knew this quite well. Her husband was a liar and a lover of war. This is not how we can act. This is not what we can support. I realize voting against will delay an agreement, but if our agreement is to continue to let a belligerent army continue to have as many troops as it does, then it's not an agreement at all. The Plembobrian delegate must not think I'm serious. This resolution is not harsh enough. Maybe it doesn't scare the heck out of anyone else, but with a royal colony and our own capital city within the reach of a not so neutral nation, I do believe improvements to this must be made.

-Ryan Pittman

Syrixia is open to a further slight downsize of its active military personnel, however such numbers as the Guslantis-suggested number of 100,000 is much, MUCH too harsh and will literally turn Syrixia into a helpless whelp. We will settle for anywhere between 700,000 to 850,000 troops.

A Guslant never comes into a deal without room for negotiation. We would like to counter at 500,000 troops, which seems reasonable given the size of your nation.

Bootsie:
A Guslant never comes into a deal without room for negotiation. We would like to counter at 500,000 troops, which seems reasonable given the size of your nation.
Too low. Instead of 800,000, how about 700,000?

(OOC: Yay haggling time!)

@Cronaal: Under the current treaty, Syrixia possesses exactly 100 warheads.

This is not a haggling matter, Mr. Atlas. This agreement revokes your suspension and lets you back into NPTO. If you can't come down, I'm not sure how you practically expect the Assembly to believe you can make even tougher choices once you're back in NPTO HQ. I present again, the offer of 500,000.

Syrixia:
Cronaal: Under the current treaty, Syrixia possesses exactly 100 warheads.
(I understand this but I really do think it's quite high, even in an OOC context without characters that basically want your head on a spike.)

Mr. Pittman, I am not trying to haggle. Your offer is simply too harsh and too low, and I am starting to think you are making anger-backed decisions.

I would like to hear commentary from the other delegations. I have heard enough from Mr. Pittman, thank you.

I have to side with Mr. Pittman. 500,000 is a generous offer and should be considered. Do keep in mind that the Federation of Kalti only has a standing force of 302,000 people between our military and police. There are additional troops, both military and police, but they are stationed in the Free States of Tir na Andalucia and Callaici and will not interfere in the Federation's business unless ordered to do so by the Forum.

How exactly is 500,000 a generous offer when nations like Kannex, who, for the record, have done more fighting in the Great War than we even did, casually have 1 million troops? Syrixia is fine with 500,000 and all, but we find it appalling that the NPTO focuses on Syrixia when other nations act similarly.

(OOC: No offense, Kannex.)

We will get to the Kannexian problem when we cross that bridge, for now though this conversation focuses on your nation and your military. However, we are keeping an eye on Kannex and their military strength and will act appropriately if they step out of line, they have come close a few times but not enough to warrant action.

"We think that Kaltian cowardice and absenteeism is the real problem. The Empire of Kannex praises the efforts and sacrifices of the glorious Kannexan and allied, including Syrixian, troops in the victories in Rhuvanland and Cronaal."

As we have already told you, our inaction was a simple result of the will of the people who were entirely against foreign intervention. Please don't confuse cowardice and absenteeism with the government following what the people voted on.

We would like to remind the delegate from Guslantis that Wolfsea currently has 500,000 troops, including medical and engineering teams like those aiding in the relief efforts in South Cronaal after the war, on permanent standby for NPTO peace keeping operations. The remaining 3/4 of our frontline forces are also kept on standby in the event of our allies requiring defensive aid. We have currently dispatched an additional Legion of 100, 000 to reinforce the legion operating our base in New Sekai in the event the Confederacy attempts an incursion during the current economic crisis. We believe rather than reduce numbers Syrixia should dedicate a quarter of their military to being on standby for NPTO peacekeeping operations.

We also recommend the dismantlement of Syrixia's, and indeed all member states, warheads, once we have reached a non-aggression and peacekeeping pact with the Helmebaine Alliance it is our intention to get Nebula and other Faibuaizu nations to disarm all nuclear, biological and chemical weaponry.

plembobria:
I request that the chairman call off the vote. We will be voting nay to our own agreement. Changes must be made.
-disregard- Vote will be amended and extended twenty-four hours to reflect the new change in the motion.

Where does it say the chairman can disregard a formal vote? This is an abuse of power. We would like a vote on whether or not to call off the vote.

Syrixia would like to argue in favor of a compromise between itself and the authors of this resolution. Syrixia wants a 700,000-man military while the authors want 500,000. Thus, we suggest a compromise is made in the form of a 600,000-man army.

EDIT: The Deputy Chair calling off the vote when 6 out of 9 voters who voted on the vote voted in favor of the original resolution is perhaps an abuse of power as Kannex suggests, as the majority were, as mentioned before, for. We urge NPTO to recognize that two thirds of the voters voted for the original resolution, and thus the majority is against the recalling of the vote. We suggest it be reopened, else this, as previously mentioned, may be indeed an abuse of power by the Deputy Chairman.

Please read my edited post above... the vote is still open and I will extend it an additional twenty-four hours once the finalized military strength has been voted on and agreed to. The point of the twenty-four extension (once in place) is to allow any members who have voted to either keep their vote or change it.

Also, Syrixia... please read my latest post in the Military Numbers thread... I hope that information can bring about an end to this discussion and the vote can continue and be concluded in a timely manner.

Edit: The vote isn't called off, there is an ongoing discussion surrounding the base material of the vote that could sway votes in a different direction. As such, I have noted where the votes stand as at 14:00 AZ-MST (6 Aye, 2 Nay and 1 Abstain) and will update accordingly as the discussion comes to a close.

Ah, thank you. Under the current circumstances, while I cannot say what Kannex feels, Syrixia no longer deems this an abuse of power.

Kannex, if you would care to note the following:

- The vote closed at 13:05 PM AZ-MST with 6 Aye, 2 Nay and 2 Abstain.
- As the vote is currently closed, the results will pass. However, there is an ongoing pending discussion surrounding a portion of the original agreement. I have not touched the original motion as the new military strength number has not been finalized.
- Some sort of vote or amendment will be done to fix the line about the total number of Syrixian military personnel.

We would like to review on what authority does the chairman or vice chairman claim the power to do either of those things? Extension of a vote should be only used in special circumstances and granted only through majority consent, while the amendment to the previous vote should only take the form of a repeal. We cannot have arbitrary use of powers to fit this or that agenda.

So you would have us completely ignore the discussion of limiting the Syrixian military to 600,000 personnel and let them have their one million personnel? The entire point of the vote and discussion was to limit Syrixian warmongering. By ignoring the discussion and its results, we are setting ourselves up to be back at square one with only minor changes made.

As author of the original resolution I have amended the military size to 500,000. I request that the chairman put this to a vote.

plembobria:
As author of the original resolution I have amended the military size to 500,000. I request that the chairman put this to a vote.
Thank you. However, you have amended it to 500,000 but Syrixia wants 600,000... how do you want to resolve that?

Back