Poposal: New Region Seal

Eluvatar:
On the subject of feudalism, Piscivore would have a far better case if the arms were helmed by a knightly helmet and/or a royal, noble, or even baronial crown. Instead, it bears a castle, much like chartered cities with elected governments do.
The semiotic content is not the issue; it's that the (symbolic) language itself being used here is archaic. To me it is akin to drafting the constitution in Chaucerian English.

Piscivore:
The semiotic content is not the issue; it's that the (symbolic) language itself being used here is archaic. To me it is akin to drafting the constitution in Chaucerian English.
We've already done that.

There have been states where the people have the power in the big land with a very long edge for a very long time.

The left of morning sun big calm water is one of the oldest named places in the game.

I don't think the way of talking is too old.

Even if we changed anything about the CoA or the flag, I am certainly not in favor of your proposed design. You keep talking about a flag that looks modern and favorable, but I'm not feeling that design at all. The two suggestion are grainy and kinda random, with the only symbolism I see are the waves. The only thing I could see happen for TNP is that an alternate theme could be created using a different color such as TNP Magenta to complement the TNP Aqua, but that's as far as I see the change coming.

Bootsie:
Even if we changed anything about the CoA or the flag, I am certainly not in favor of your proposed design. You keep talking about a flag that looks modern and favorable, but I'm not feeling that design at all. The two suggestion are grainy and kinda random, with the only symbolism I see are the waves. The only thing I could see happen for TNP is that an alternate theme could be created using a different color such as TNP Magenta to complement the TNP Aqua, but that's as far as I see the change coming.
I'm not pushing at all for these designs to be adopted, they were just ideas to start a conversation. The graininess is due to the way I draw in Paint.

Here's my proposal:

lol.png

Beautiful, no?

Hmmm...
Not enough consideration toward the future being done, I'm afraid. Probably would go out of style too quickly. :)

Nebula:
:fish:

Anyways, I think this whole thing is silly. I do not have any problem with the way the CoA/Seal looks, and I think it is an important piece of our history that should not be messed with.

Cascadia:
Nebula:
:fish:

Anyways, I think this whole thing is silly. I do not have any problem with the way the CoA/Seal looks, and I think it is an important piece of our history that should not be messed with.
I don't think we have to mess with it to create something new - like Elu mentioned before, there's plenty of flag/symbol room to add new designs. :)

If Eluvatar is going to be honoured on our regional seal, then there are altogether too few dangly balls on it to do him justice.

There are three separate proposals in this thread.

1) Change the regional coat of arms.
2) Change the regional flag.
3) Change the template for the various government seals.

Regarding (1), I generally like our coat of arms, though I think it is somewhat too busy, e.g., those laurels always annoyed me and seem out of place. I would not be completely opposed to a conservative retouche should someone take the time to make a serious proposal, but it's also hardly a regional priority. I should also emphasize "conservative": the coat of arms is very strongly associated with our decade-long constitutional tradition, and we should not remove this association by breaking the continuity of the design. Any changes should be minimal, and the new version should be such that it can be immediately related to the old one by someone who sees it without any prior context in mind.

Note that there has already been such a retouche not too long ago, in 2012, when Elu and Gulliver edited Thel's original design. The changes improved the coat of arms, in my opinion anyway, without breaking continuity. Anyone looking at the two designs can tell that one is derived from the other. TRR also did a nice update of their coat of arms sometime last year I believe.

Regarding (2), our flag is fine. The design is simple and effective, and, same as with the coat of arms, strongly associated with core regional values. It should only be updated so as to reflect any changes of the coat of arms (as we did with the 2012 retouche).

Regarding (3), I believe the existing seals leave a lot to be desired. At the very least, the font ought to be changed to something more legible, but I think the whole design ought to be revisited. Unlike the previous two, I don't think there is a need for continuity here. However, any new design should continue to prominently feature the coat of arms, which would make it immediately identifiable as something representing TNP's government.

As a matter of fact, the seal re-design was something I was hoping to tackle during my delegacy. I played around with some concept designs very early on, a little after the Executive Staff array of badges were created. However, I never found the time to complete this project.

I'll agree that the seals could definitely be improved.

Do you have thoughts on adding logos for use in other contexts?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of many places that could use their own, separate logos. A military flag would be good, and the court needs a seal (which, unless we do a re-design of all government seals, should probably follow the general seal template). That's about all I can think of.

Edit: Someone (Elu?) mentioned TNL earlier. TNL already has its own logo, included at the header of every issue.

r3naissanc3r:
Off the top of my head, I can't think of many places that could use their own, separate logos. A military flag would be good, and the court needs a seal (which, unless we do a re-design of all government seals, should probably follow the general seal template). That's about all I can think of.

Edit: Someone (Elu?) mentioned TNL earlier. TNL already has its own logo, included at the header of every issue.
The Court has a seal.

Back