DISCUSSION: Observer States

Syrixia

The one, the true, the great.
-
TNP Nation
Syrixia
Discord
TrialByDance#0419
DISCUSSION: The formal editing of NPTO law to include a new type of member: an observer.

STARTED BY: The Most Serene Republic of Syrixia

TOPIC STARTER'S RATIONALE: Following the acceptance of Rhuvanland as an observer state, I have felt the need to discuss observer states and their abilities in NPTO in more detail so it may be added to the Charter. This way, observer states are not weird gaps in NPTO law that are just there.

All thoughts may be left below.

The delegation from the Empire of Kannex suggests that observer states hold the right to:

• engage in debate and discussion of the Assembly
  • serve as signatories on working papers
  • sign resolutions
  • submit proposals and amendments

Observers will lack the ability to vote on proposals.

That sounds fine.

The delegation from Syrixia also proposes that observers are barred from entering the Peace Council. Thoughts on this? And what of the Peacekeeping Forces?

The delegation from Cascadia thinks that observers should not have the ability to join either group. Let's keep observers as "observant" as possible.

Kannex agrees that observers will not be allowed to join the Peace Council, nor be required or allowed to send troops under the banner of NPTO Peacekeeping.

The delegation from Syrixia believes that if NPTO does not grant all members, full or observer, the ability to send troops and/or request NPTOPF troops' presence in a situation, than the notion of being an observer is too comparable to not being a member at all; plus restricting the NPTOPF may seem a bit selfish, especially if there is a conflict going on in an observer nation. Syrixia advocates for observers not being able to join the Peace Council but indeed being able to use and send troops to the NPTOPF.

Instead of "observer" members/ states, I'd prefer "provisional" members.

I would also agree to allow observer or provisional members to send PF troops.

I don't think we should go too far to either end. I don't think we should be too harsh to the observers but we shouldn't be too generous. (Such as calling them provisional members and/or letting them serve in various areas)

I think a middle-of-the-spectrum approach is good here like what I stated.

I might note that if we're going to allow them to participate in anything, I would prefer that they be called provisional members. An observer is an onlooker, not someone who participates in the body. Though a mere technicality, I do not support the misleading title of "observer."

Actually that does kind of make sense, but Provisional makes it seem like they're going to be a full member after a certain period of time. Like, the position sounds more temporary.

Well, that is in fact the idea. After so long they may decide to become a full member. If they do not or there is something which prevents their membership, they would remain a provisional member for indefinite period of time or until their resignation from the NPTO.

Back