A like/dislike button

Amerion

TNPer
TNP Nation
Northern Amerion
Discord
Amerion #9702
Good afternoon,

As I cannot find mention of such a feature in the first three pages of this subforum, I am proposing a like/dislike button for the forum.

Recently introduced on-site and in NS++, this function has proven hugely popular and I think the same success can be replicated in the forum.

This function is very easy implement and only requires an addition of coding to the board template. Instructions are provided as to removing the dislike function (which is advisable on condition of cyber-bullying).

However this is merely a suggestion.

I personally always disliked (excuse the pun) the like/dislike buttons. I am quite disappointed to see NS add this feature.

I would be against adding such buttons here on our forum.

r3naissanc3r:
I personally always disliked (excuse the pun) the like/dislike buttons. I am quite disappointed to see NS add this feature.

I would be against adding such buttons here on our forum.
I agree.

I have seen only the "like" side of this feature elsewhere and I don't find much usefulness to it. The idea conceptually poses all sort of potential moderation questions that can lead to a poisoning of the atmosphere of discussion and conversation.

Of the few places that had a "dislike" component, they all got rid of it, and that suggests to me that my concern is well founded. As it stands right now, I would not support adding such a feature to the forums. I would much rather have Zetaboards have spent its research and development time on restoring the email notification of PMs as we had under Invisionfree than having this "like-dislike" button feature.

At its worst, I can see the dangers that have been outlined above, but I have a slightly higher opinion of the TNP community. I can see how a like/dislike button might encourage good and positive behaviour by showing peer approval of positive, witty or insightful comments (and the opposite).

I would be interested to know whether the buttons would be forum-wide or could be turned on and off for different threads.

I think the standard zeta script covers all forums. We'd probably have to write our own.

I like the NS like feature, but I'm not really fussed either way with this forum.

Flem, all it would take to poison the atmosphere here is for a select few to be targeted and harassed by the dislike aspect of the feature, and if it is anonymous, that would invite such behavior. Even if most users don't misuse or abuse it, all it takes is a few. The places that still exist that I have seen using only the "like" side of this make the identity of the "likers" known in the post.

As admin and global mods, we have to consider the potential for abuse, and see how we can minimize or reduce or even eliminate that risk, otherwise we make more work for ourselves having the police that function.

Dangit, I was too late...I was gonna say I support a like button.

Then again you can just post saying "I like this" with a quote, lol. It's more noticeable too :D

Grosseschnauzer:
Flem, all it would take to poison the atmosphere here is for a select few to be targeted and harassed by the dislike aspect of the feature, and if it is anonymous, that would invite such behavior. Even if most users don't misuse or abuse it, all it takes is a few. The places that still exist that I have seen using only the "like" side of this make the identity of the "likers" known in the post.
I'm pretty sure the Zetaboards version isn't anonymous - both likes and dislikes are shown. Anonymous dislikes would definitely be a terrible thing to implement.

In general, I think if someone likes or dislikes a post enough to want others to know, it merits an actual response. Clicking a little thumbs-up or thumbs-down button doesn't cut it, even if it does show their name.

Democratic Donkeys:
I really don't care for this idea. As an individual I think I am quite capable of expressing my like or dislike of a post without needing a button for it.
You, dislike something? No way. :P

Syrixia:
Then again you can just post saying "I like this" with a quote, lol. It's more noticeable too :D
I mean you could do this, but it's kinda spammy...

I don't even like the :agree: spam we sometimes get, or the "Full Support" comments :P

I think I'd really hate it if people started just liking/disliking posts instead of commenting properly.

mcmasterdonia:
I don't even like the :agree: spam we sometimes get, or the "Full Support" comments :P

I think I'd really hate it if people started just liking/disliking posts instead of commenting properly.
:agree:

A like/dislike button is a cop-out. Frankly, I enjoy the verbal abuse I get when someone doesn't like what I have to say. I savour it. :lol:

mcmasterdonia:

^ like

Back