Re: commentary on criminal complaint against Flemingovia

flemingovia:
Deus ex machina is a theatrical rather than theological term. Let me give you three sound theological reasons why I do not stop this

First, this trial may be part of my ineffable divine plan, which you (as a mortal) cannot perceive. So although I could stop it, I choose not to. In the christian, rather than flemingovian, tradition the trial and execution of Jesus is seen in this way.

The second possibility lies in the concept of kenosis. Perhaps, as a means of interacting with humanity, I have emptied myself of divine transcendence and become fully human as well as fully divine.

Finally, perhaps I wish you to become a flemingovian without showy miracles like turning the seas to rum. For then it would truly be a matter of faith and trust.

But it is good that you are spiritually enquiring, even if you have not got there yet.

I was thinking more along the Deistic lines of Hume in reference to Deus Ansconditus as it relates to and differs from Deus Ex Machina, as opposed to the literary/dramatic usage.

The way I was using the term "Deus Ex Machina" was along the lines of Hume in Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion:

In a word Cleanthes, a man who follows your hypothesis is able is able perhaps to assert, or conjecture, that the Universe, sometime, arose from something like design: but ... [t]his world, for aught he knows, is very faulty and imperfect ... and was only the first rude essay of some infant deity, who afterwards abandoned it, ashamed of his lame performance. (Hume 1947: 168)

Of course in this context, Hume is somewhat replacing Deus Absconditus with Deus Ex Machina to justify the concept of Providence as a means for God to mould history, etc., without actually having to intervene. I tend to prefer the 18th Century variety of Deism which largely sees little justification of the existence of a personal God - essentially that God is like a watchmaker: God created the universe, so to speak, wound it up like a watch, and then hung out the cosmic "Out to Lunch" sign and then sat back and observes (or not) with an attitude of stercus accidit, so to speak.

If one has had any discourse with Catholic Priests or the Protestant equivalents, they always tend to pose, sooner or later, the question "what if I could absolutely prove to you the existence of a personal God?"

When posed with that question, my stock answer is always, "what, then, would the purpose of faith be?"

Taking such a Deistic stance would tend to justify your claim that miracles are not necessary, and that proof would negate faith and, as Douglas Adams noted in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, God would simply say, "I didn't think of that", vanish in a puff logic.

However, you, in your role of Flemingovia God have in the past claimed various miracles, which if were to be actual miracles would have caused you to have also vanish in a puff of logic. Thus, since you are still here after alleged proof of your miraculous divinity through various miracles means that either your miracles are not miracles and therefore you are not God, or that simply you are not God because you are still here as proof of your existence would negate faith and you would go poof in an existential flash. :P

Great Bights Mum:
All I have to say is it's a good thing the sea isn't rum. Then we'd have to pee in the boat.

That would be a terrible dilemma indeed!

And think of all those incredibly drunk whales at the bottom of the ocean, being at the bottom not because they are drunk but due to the simple physics that alcohol is substantially less dense than water rendering it absolutely impossible for a whale to swim in it. And not to mention the fact that the lower density of alcohol in comparison to water would make the buoyancy of a boat a somewhat precariously unstable proposition.

This can be illustrated by a simple Buoyancy Equations of: Buoyancy Force (B) = ? V g (B) = ? V g in which p=the density of the fluid in question; V=displaced Volume; and g=9.8 (gravitational coefficient for this equation).

Ergo, any whale attempting to swim in a sea of 80 proof or higher Rum would plummet straight to the bottom of the sea, state of intoxication not withstanding.

That said, if a whale could swim in a sea of rum without plummeting to bottom of the sea due to lack of buoyancy, that indeed could possibly be construed as a miracle tantamount to a human walking on water. A human walking on rum would be an even greater miracle but would pose some severe problems as to how that human could efficiently consume rum of a physically impossible density.

Also, not to mention the potential damage to the rum production economy of The North Pacific if the quantity rum were suddenly to become relatively unlimited.

And, of course, everyone would stop drinking rum because whales piss in it. What a horrifying proposition!

falapatorius:
Roman:
A human walking on rum
I do very little walking when on rum. :P
Neither does Drinky Crow - he tested my theory concerning buoyancy in alcohol and went straight to the bottom. :lol:

i6m2rs.jpg

Drinky Crow Tests Out Roman's Alcohol Buoyancy Theory.

To: the attorney general's office

Push a joke too far and you end up looking silly at best and vindictive at worst. Don't you think it is time to knock this on the head?

So violating McMasterdonia's rightd by spreading falsehoods about him is a joke now? I dont think McM was laughing. He felt damaged enough to file a fraud complaint.

Okay, have it your own way. But when you become the regional laughing stock, remember that I warned you and gave you a way to exit this with some dignity.

flemingovia:
Okay, have it your own way. But when you become the regional laughing stock, remember that I warned you and gave you a way to exit this with some dignity.
Now that is pushing a joke too far unto the point of being silly.

Hmmm - and that sounds like a threat against a government official to me... Which, unfortunately is not against TNP Law. You know, we do need some laws around here to cover obstruction of justice and threatening government officials. :P

Nah, would never fly as such laws would cause everything to come to a grinding halt. :lol:

flemingovia:
You are confusing threats with compassion. Sometimes friendly advice is just that.
OK, I have to admit, that was a witty one.

Now, for some friendly advise to your benefit: county ye chickens not before they are hatched.

Let me propose to you this question: do you have some kind of influence of the court that might constitute a conflict of interests which might require certain justices to recuse themselves? Perhaps a little publicly stated religious worship might be involved? :P

And considering your statement in re to the AG himself:

You indeed may end up being the "regional laughing stock" regardless of the verdict.

Now, that said, while I am not ethically required to say this, I feel morally compelled to inform you:

You have the right to remain silent when questioned.
Anything you say or do may be used against you in a court of law.
You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future.
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning, if you wish.
If you decide to answer any questions now, without an attorney present, you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney.
Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?

Anyone who acts as his own attorney has a fool for a client.

I have every confidence in the current bench to act in an impartial and fair manner. Don't you?

I do not recognise the rights you quote at the end of your post. Whence in TNP law do they come?

Flem:
I do not recognise the rights you quote at the end of your post. Whence in TNP law do they come?
As I'm sure you know, it's the Miranda warning used in the U.S. (and other countries.. well.. variations anyway) But yeah, it's not part of TNP Law.

falapatorius:
Flem:
As I'm sure you know, it's the Miranda warning used in the U.S. (and other countries.. well.. variations anyway) But yeah, it's not part of TNP Law.
Ah, I see. Roman often has a problem distinguishing between the U.S. and tnp. It is a bit of a problem in an assistant attorney General.

flemingovia:
falapatorius:
Flem:
Ah, I see. Roman often has a problem distinguishing between the U.S. and tnp. It is a bit of a problem in an assistant attorney General.

No, you utterly fail to recognise rationality, logic and reason as it relates to your own actions. You also fail to understand how my quoting of the 'Miranda' charge applies in spades to the BOR of TNP. You cannot be compelled to make incriminating statements or to testify against yourself, but ethically and morally speaking, I think that you should be informed of that right whether or not you actually believe you have that right or not.

I was merely informing you of the legitimate tactic of using anything and everything you say against you in a court of law. You indeed have a right to remain silent under the BOR in TNP. I suggest you take that into consideration before you speak.

I was merely being kind and compassionate in informing you that you should be careful that you do not incriminate yourself before an indictment is even issued (should that occur).

Crushing Our Enemies:
Romanoffia:
Now, that said, while I am not ethically required to say this, I feel morally compelled to inform you:
What's the practical difference between an ethical requirement and a moral compulsion?

Ethical is when you know your should not do something. Moral is when you actually do what you know what you should do. :P

romanoffia:
My job as an AAG is to prosecute criminal complaints. That, in fact, is the job of anyone who is in the AG Office. That means as a prosecutor, my job is absolutely crucify the accused if at all possible and by using all ethical, moral and otherwise legitimate means legally and constitutionally at a prosecutor's disposal. That is what a p

That is a classic example of the philosophical difference between the adversarial constitutional court and the fiqh, which is based on reconciliation and restorative justice. It is also, perhaps, why the adversarial court has fared so badly in TNP over the years.

Occasionally we may need to "absolutely crucify". But that ought not to be the basis of our laws. More often, we just need reconciliation. But while key individuals go down the crucifixion route, the courts will as likely as not escalate problems rather than resolve them.

The fiqh takes its philosophy from a completely different philosophical understanding, more eastern/african, where the needs of the community, rather than the rights of the individual, are the paramount concern and justice is not about winners and losers but about restoring society.

flemingovia:
romanoffia:
My job as an AAG is to prosecute criminal complaints. That, in fact, is the job of anyone who is in the AG Office. That means as a prosecutor, my job is absolutely crucify the accused if at all possible and by using all ethical, moral and otherwise legitimate means legally and constitutionally at a prosecutor's disposal. That is what a p

That is a classic example of the philosophical difference between the adversarial constitutional court and the fiqh, which is based on reconciliation and restorative justice. It is also, perhaps, why the adversarial court has fared so badly in TNP over the years.

Occasionally we may need to "absolutely crucify". But that ought not to be the basis of our laws. More often, we just need reconciliation. But while key individuals go down the crucifixion route, the courts will as likely as not escalate problems rather than resolve them.

The fiqh takes its philosophy from a completely different philosophical understanding, more eastern/african, where the needs of the community, rather than the rights of the individual, are the paramount concern and justice is not about winners and losers but about restoring society.
Bingo! You are the first person to get exactly what I have been hinting at for a long, long time. :clap: :cheese:

This was one of the reasons why I tried to actually establish 'Civil Code' as was indicated directly in the Constitution - to resolve inter-personal conflicts.

I do, however disagree with your statement:

where the needs of the community, rather than the rights of the individual, are the paramount concern and justice is not about winners and losers but about restoring society.

That can lead down a very dangerous path - to where 'society', the 'state' or the 'collective' can justify the trampling of individual rights and liberties for the sake of the 'whole'. It is the path that leads to Fascism in which there are no individuals, only the the state, and people are a function of and property of the state which disposes of people as the state sees fit. Again, a very dangerous paradigm totally out of step with any concept of freedom, liberty or inherent and natural rights.

However, if the clear intent of what you propose is purely to maintain civility and order by reconciliation rather than go down the 'crucifixion path' then it may be a good thing to try experimentally to see if it works as intended. If this is the type of scheme you are proposing, then I would be fully in favour of giving it a go. This sort of approach could actually facilitate individual liberties better than our current 'criminal only' legal system that does nothing to resolve problems but rather causes more of them.

I do, however absolutely agree with this statement:

Occasionally we may need to "absolutely crucify". But that ought not to be the basis of our laws. More often, we just need reconciliation.

As has been noted before, the adversarial nature of the current TNP Legal Code is typified by the use of the Courts as a means of settling personal scores rather than the pure application of laws, and even then, the laws are to narrow to cover anything but very narrow situation.

And, as you note, the current system forces the AG's office to go at everything in an adversarial action and it even requires the Court to act in a biased fashion to maintain order at the expense of individual liberties and rights. Given the current system, if the Court truly attempts anything resembling impartiality, it results in acrimony, chaos and disorder which is then exploited for personal political gain.

Do I like our current system? Not at all. It is defective, at best and in many instances amounts to nothing more than perfunctory circumambulations for sake of perfunctory circumambulations. It produces more acrimony all around rather than to deliver justice under the law.

As such, in principle, for the most part, I agree with you for once. :horror: :P

Back