Special Announcement

canadalogo2.jpg

canadalogoreflection2.gif

Dear Friends,

I'm sure most of you have noticed Canada has been taken over by invasion forces.

Canada has always prided itself in being a neutral region. We didn't invite the raiders and we shall not invite the defenders.

You are all welcome to show your support during this stressful situation by staying calm and joining us for some doughnuts and beer.

The Pubs of ParkPlace

See you at the party!

Thank you,
Citizens of Canada

Best wishes to Canada. Is the party taking place on the forum? I'll be sure to come by. Don't think they will let me in the region :(

Both on the RMB and the forum, notably the Pubs of Parkplace

As for moving a nation in - while we are not asking the defenders to get involved, they probably will, and any influence spent to banject you from Canada will probably help.

I hope you get your region back, Canadians.
It is really unfortunate that this has happened to your region and I hope that you will eventually restore the peace and prosperity.

Thanks,

Tomb

Lots of natives have been banned. I believe that the UIAF had committed to not griefing the region, but it looks like that happened anyway. TBH is in control now, so it looks like it will get worse before it gets better.

mcmasterdonia:
Lots of natives have been banned. I believe that the UIAF had committed to not griefing the region, but it looks like that happened anyway. TBH is in control now, so it looks like it will get worse before it gets better.
there is an old saying, "if you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas".

I hope the NPA has the sense to choose its partners more carefully.

mcmasterdonia:
As I have said on these boards previously, while I note that it isn't really my place to comment on your affairs, I would like to hopefully clear up any potential misunderstandings here.

We did not commit to not grief the region. The UIAF has never mentioned anything at all about whether we would "grief" the region. In fact we haven't even used the "griefing" in any of our statements concerning Canada. Indeed, we don't even use that word in general, as it is incredibly misleading and implies some malicious intent. Any ejections by our forces were for the purpose of securing control of the region, nothing more.

Our singular commitment was that we would not refound the region, and we have kept to our word on this. Following from this, TBH have similarly agreed that they will not aim for a refound.

Regardless, we have announced the end of our lead in the operation, and we are now merely reinforcing to deny our enemies any potential victory. The UIAF led mission is concluded, and now under TBH it is essentially a whole different occupation.

So I suppose I'm just trying to avoid any implication that we have betrayed our word here, when we have done nothing of the sort.

Hopefully that clears up the misunderstanding there. ^_^

It is generally best not to call it "griefing." can I suggest you use the term "enhanced emigration opportunites"

That sounds a lot better, PR-wise.

Griefing is a very imprecise term, and it's best not to use it without clarifying exactly what actions you count as griefing and what actions you do not.

flemingovia:
It is generally best not to call it "griefing." can I suggest you use the term "enhanced emigration opportunites"

That sounds a lot better, PR-wise.
:rofl:

I guess the fortyish natives required ejecting as they were threatening the huge endorsement lead :lol:.

There must be a lack of communication between myself and other members of the executive government. I do apologise. As far as I knew a commitment had been made not to grief the region.

I thank the Ambassador (is that correct?) from the UIAF for commenting in the Canadian Embassy. If Almonaster requests, I will remove those posts to a more suitable location for communication with the representative from the UIAF.

There is an old saying: "if it quacks and waddles, it is probably a duck"

What is happening in Canada looks like griefing, smells like griefing, it probably is griefing, whatever the UIAF "prefer" to call it.

But that's the problem with the term griefing: everyone uses it differently. I used to be very confused whenever anyone threw around the word griefing, because when I looked it up, it said "playing with the primary intention of upsetting other players" which is not what I have ever done. Then, someone told me it was synonymous with region destruction, the systematic emptying and refounding of a region. To this day, many people still use it in that way. Now, it can mean anything from banning natives and passwording to suppressing posts on the RMB, or even changing the WFE - I have literally talked to people who said that changing the WFE of a region was griefing.

That's what I mean when I say it's a very imprecise term, and I highly recommend substituting descriptions of actual actions for it. For example, it's much better to say "I won't support the banjection of natives or the imposition of a password on Region X," than it is to say "I won't support the griefing of Region X." Literally, when you say the word griefing, no one knows what it means but you - but everyone will think they know what it means.

Crushing Our Enemies:
But that's the problem with the term griefing: everyone uses it differently. I used to be very confused whenever anyone threw around the word griefing, because when I looked it up, it said "playing with the primary intention of upsetting other players" which is not what I have ever done. Then, someone told me it was synonymous with region destruction, the systematic emptying and refounding of a region. To this day, many people still use it in that way. Now, it can mean anything from banning natives and passwording to suppressing posts on the RMB, or even changing the WFE - I have literally talked to people who said that changing the WFE of a region was griefing.

That's what I mean when I say it's a very imprecise term, and I highly recommend substituting descriptions of actual actions for it. For example, it's much better to say "I won't support the banjection of natives or the imposition of a password on Region X," than it is to say "I won't support the griefing of Region X." Literally, when you say the word griefing, no one knows what it means but you - but everyone will think they know what it means.
yes, you have a point there.

When I use the term I mean a basket of actions, including mass banning of natives. locking out the region with a password, up to refounding.

To me it means actions that go beyond tag raiding which leave the reigion intact.

But I accept that others have different definitions.

flemingovia:
Which were?
The big one was emptying a region. Other than that, kicking above 20% of the natives in a region, not removing natives from the banlist and putting a password in place without TG'ing it to natives.

flemingovia:
I hope the NPA has the sense to choose its partners more carefully.
The UIAF has been a very valuable military partner since we became treaty allies. Our military interests are not identical, as indeed it is rare for any two regions to have absolutely identical military interests. This operation is a case where they do not align, which is why from the beginning of the operation I have ordered the NPA to abstain from participation. But in general, our interests have aligned well with theirs.

mcmasterdonia:
There must be a lack of communication between myself and other members of the executive government. I do apologise. As far as I knew a commitment had been made not to grief the region.
My own understanding since the operation began, and based on what was communicated to me by UIAF and TBH, has been that both of them have committed not to refound the region, and nothing beyond that. All of my discussions with both the Cabinet and foreign dignitaries have been under this assumption.

I may have caused some of the confusion myself by using the term "griefing" in Cabinet discussions. I use "griefing" to refer exclusively to refounding.

mcmasterdonia:
I thank the Ambassador (is that correct?) from the UIAF for commenting in the Canadian Embassy. If Almonaster requests, I will remove those posts to a more suitable location for communication with the representative from the UIAF.
Thanks for the offer, but Canada is always prepared to listen.

Back