This Day in History

Wiki sites this decree dated 15th of January Julian/Old Style, which would be 28th of January Gregorian/New Style.

Syrixia:
Alta Italia:
a rather terrible man
Then explain how Alfred Nursson is so benevolent? I created the character based off of Churchill. He even calls heads of government "lad".
I knew I'd get some backlash for that comment. :-) He drinked, he smoked, he cursed. I haven't studied up on Churchill much, and so that's all what I remember about his personality. But he might have been the one person who prevented the Third Reich from conquering the entire world, and that has to surpass being an incredibly rude alcoholic.

Alta Italia:
Syrixia:
Alta Italia:
a rather terrible man
Then explain how Alfred Nursson is so benevolent? I created the character based off of Churchill. He even calls heads of government "lad".
I knew I'd get some backlash for that comment. :-) He drinked, he smoked, he cursed. I haven't studied up on Churchill much, and so that's all what I remember about his personality. But he might have been the one person who prevented the Third Reich from conquering the entire world, and that has to surpass being an incredibly rude alcoholic.
Forgive me, but I have to ask:

Is that the only standard you judge someone on? Surely there are worse things to judge a person on beyond their habits?

Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill remains a highly divisive figure in British history, even fifty years after his death. However for all of his faults, he was offered an unheard of at the time peerage called the Duke of London, which is the national capital of the United Kingdom and at the time was the capital of the British Empire. Yet he declined it. Surely a terrible person would have jumped at the chance for unheard of influence and prestige?

If we attempt to judge Churchill using modern standards, then yes, he will not look good. That is the same of any other person who was prominent in history, as they will have adhered to the various agreed beliefs of that time.

Judging people based on three vices, all of which are perfectly legal however strikes me as a... childish choice. The world is not black and white. I drink, I curse. Does that make me "a rather terrible man"? Or am I just a "terrible man" because I have two out of the three reasons you listed?

There are worse things in life than having perfectly legal habits.

You mean the channel where I can see such historical programmes as Pawn Stars, Ax Men, Ancient Aliens, UFO Hunters, Brad Meltzer's Decoded and the Nostradamus Effect?

Lord Ravenclaw:
Alta Italia:
Syrixia:
Alta Italia:
a rather terrible man
Forgive me, but I have to ask:

Is that the only standard you judge someone on? Surely there are worse things to judge a person on beyond their habits?

Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill remains a highly divisive figure in British history, even fifty years after his death. However for all of his faults, he was offered an unheard of at the time peerage called the Duke of London, which is the national capital of the United Kingdom and at the time was the capital of the British Empire. Yet he declined it. Surely a terrible person would have jumped at the chance for unheard of influence and prestige?

If we attempt to judge Churchill using modern standards, then yes, he will not look good. That is the same of any other person who was prominent in history, as they will have adhered to the various agreed beliefs of that time.

Judging people based on three vices, all of which are perfectly legal however strikes me as a... childish choice. The world is not black and white. I drink, I curse. Does that make me "a rather terrible man"? Or am I just a "terrible man" because I have two out of the three reasons you listed?

There are worse things in life than having perfectly legal habits.
Winston Churchill was, in my opinion, one of the greatest and most accomplished people of the 19th and 20th Century.

His military record in the Boer War and World War I was exemplary. He was known for not taking any crap from anyone and for his absolutely wicked sense of humour.

At a party, he got into it with Bessie Braddock, MP.

She said: "Winston, you are drunk, and what’s more you are disgustingly drunk."

He replied: "Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly."

:lol:

He took a royal screwing for the battle at Gallipoli and ended up taking the blame for the failure of the navy to engage the enemy as was the plan. He resigned his position, re-joined the British Army and led troops into battle (he would stand up and simply walk towards the enemy despite his troops ducking for cover).

I wish we had a US President that was half American that Prime Minister Churchill was the Englishman. (I say this ironically because Churchill's mother was American, making him indeed half the American.)

And besides - he was a great cavalry man and extremely skilled horseman which garners high marks in my book. ;)

slr281.jpg

“No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle.” ------- Winston Churchill​

26th January

1500: Vicente Yáñez Pinzón becomes the first European to set foot on Brazil.

1788: Sydney is founded by the British First Fleet.

1808: The only successful government take over in Australian history occurs when members of the New South Wales Corps overthrow Governor William Bligh who famously had earlier been the victim of a mutiny on HMS Bounty.

1837: Michigan becomes the 26th US State.

1861: Louisiana secedes from the US.

1870: Virginia officially rejoins the US.

1939: An offensive by forces of fascist General Franco take Barcelona, during the Spanish Civil War.

1942: The firs US forces arrive in Europe, landing in Northern Ireland.

1965: Hindi becomes the official language of India.

1998: In an iconic TV moment, US President Bill Clinton denies having sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky.

2009: Rioting breaks out in Antananarivo, Madagascar, sparking a political crisis that will result in the replacement of President Marc Ravalomanana with Andry Rajoelina.

Selected Births and Deaths: Douglas MacArthur, born 1880. Nicolae Ceau?escu, born 1918. Nikolaus Otto, died 1891. Nelson Rockefeller, died 1979.

I'm not saying that anyone who drinks or anyone who curses or anyone who smokes is bad. I'm just saying that I look down upon alcoholics, and I do not think a PM would ideally be an alcoholic who curses out MPs. I do have great respect for him as a politician and as a Prime Minister; I just don't appreciate his moral character. Now, I don't want to seem like I'm saying that all people who drink are bad people, and that you must repent from your sinful ways, and find the glorious path, else be condemned to burn for eternity in firy flames or anything like that. I just don't appreciate the fact that he was an alcoholic; that's all.

Alta Italia:
I'm not saying that anyone who drinks or anyone who curses or anyone who smokes is bad. I'm just saying that I look down upon alcoholics, and I do not think a PM would ideally be an alcoholic who curses out MPs. I do have great respect for him as a politician and as a Prime Minister; I just don't appreciate his moral character. Now, I don't want to seem like I'm saying that all people who drink are bad people, and that you must repent from your sinful ways, and find the glorious path, else be condemned to burn for eternity in firy flames or anything like that. I just don't appreciate the fact that he was an alcoholic; that's all.
Remember, Winston Churchill was the reason the English don't speak German. ;)

Alta Italia:
But he might have been the one person who prevented the Third Reich from conquering the entire world, and that has to surpass being an incredibly rude alcoholic.

27th January

98CE: Trajan succeeds Nerva as Roman Emperor. Under his rule Rome would reach its maximum extent, incorporating Dacia and lands in the East as far as the Caspian Sea and the mouth of the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers.

661: The death of the Caliph Ali, cousin to the Prophet Muhammed, ends the Rashidun Caliphate.

1606: The trial of Guy Fawkes and other conspirators begins in London.

1880: Thomas Edison receives the patent for the first light bulb.

1927: Ibn Saud becomes King of Nejd. This title would be merged with Saud's other Arabian conquests in 1932 to form the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

1939: Lockheed's P-38 Lightning is flown for the first time.

1943: The first US bomber attack on Germany wrecks the U-Boat yards at Wilhelmshaven.

1944: The 900-day Siege of Leningrad is finally lifted.

1945: Auschwitz is liberated by the Red Army.

1951: Nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site begins.

1967: The United States, United Kingdom, and Soviet Union sign the Outer Space Treaty in Washington, D.C., banning deployment of nuclear weapons in space, and limiting use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes.

1973: The Vietnam War ends with the Paris Peace Accords.

1996: In a military coup Colonel Ibrahim Baré Maïnassara deposes the first democratically elected president of Niger, Mahamane Ousmane.

2011: The Arab Spring reaches Yemen as 16,000 protesters demonstrate in Sana'a, sparking the Yemeni Revolution.

2013: 242 people die in a nightclub fire in Santa Maria, Brazil.

Selected births and deaths: Wilhelm II, German Emperor, born 1859. Art Rooney, Pittsburgh Steelers founder, born 1901. Francis Drake, English explorer and second man to circumnavigate the globe, died 1596. Howard Zinn, historian and author of A People's History of the United States, died 2010.

28th January

1077: The Walk to Canossa ends the Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV's excommunication.

1547: Henry VIII of England dies, succeeded by Edward VI.

1624: Thomas Warner founds the first British colony in the Caribbean, landing on St Kitts.

1813: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is first published.

1871: The Franco-Prussian War concludes with French defeat at the Siege of Paris.

1915: The US Coast Guard is created by an Act of Congress.

1932: Japanese forces attack Shanghai.

1956: Elvis Presley makes his first US TV appearance.

1965: The current flag of Canada is chosen in an Act of Parliament.

1982: Italian forces rescue US Army general James L Dozier from the Red Brigades terrorist group.

1986: Space Shuttle Challenger explodes on lift-off, killing all crew.

1988: In R. v. Morgentaler the Supreme Court of Canada strikes down all anti-abortion laws, effectively allowing abortions in Canada in all 9 months of pregnancy.

2010: Five murderers of Bangladeshi President Sheikh Mujibur Rahman are hanged.

Selected births and deaths: Henry VII, King of England, born 1457. Elijah Wood, American actor, born 1981. Charlemagne, Roman Emperor, died 814. Christodoulos of Athens, controversial Greek Orthodox Archbishop, died 2008.

29th January

904CE: Sergius III comes out of retirement to replace the depose Antipope Christopher.

1814: France defeats an allied Russian-Prussian army at the Battle of Brienne.

1834: Andrew Jackson orders the first use of troops to suppress a labour strike.

1845: Edgar Allan Poe's poem The Raven is published for the first time.

1856: The Victoria Cross, the highest military honour in the United Kingdom, is established.

1861: Kansas is admitted to the United States.

1907: Charles Curtis of Kansas becomes the first Native American U.S. Senator.

1916: In World War One, Paris is bombed by German zeppelins for the first time.

1936: The first inductees into the Baseball Hall of Fame are announced.

1963: The first inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame are announced.

1989: Hungary becomes the first Eastern Bloc nation to establish relations with South Korea.

1991: The deadliest battle of the First Gulf War begins and will end in Coalition victory at Khafji.

1996: France end's nuclear testing.

2013: SCAT Airlines Flight 760 crashes near the Kazakh city of Almaty, killing 21 people.

Selected births and deaths: George III, King of Britain, died 1820.

30th January

1018: Peace of Bautzen between Poland and the Holy Roman Empire ends a series of wars and engagements between the two states. Under the terms of the agreement, Hungarian and German troops later accompany Boleslaw I's Polish army in campaigns against Red Ruthenia, capturing Kiev.

1607: 200 square miles of coastland along the Bristol Channel and Severn Estuary in Britain are destroyed by flooding, causing an estimated 2,000 deaths.

1648: The Eighty Years' War ends with the Treaty of Munster and Osnabruck, guaranteeing Dutch independence and starting Spain's long decline as a major power.

1649: Charles I is beheaded, ending the English monarchy for the next 11 years.

1661: Oliver Cromwell is ritually executed two years after his death, on the anniversary of his execution of Charles I.

1703: The Forty-Seven Ronin, under the command of ?ishi Kuranosuke, avenge the death of their master.

1835: In the first assassination attempt against a President of the United States, Richard Lawrence attempts to shoot president Andrew Jackson, but fails and is subdued by a crowd, including several congressmen as well as Jackson himself.

1889: Archduke Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria, heir to the Austro-Hungarian crown, is found dead with his mistress Baroness Mary Vetsera in the Mayerling. His death makes Archduke Franz Ferdinand the new Crown Prince.

1902: The first Anglo-Japanese Alliance is signed.

1933: Adolf Hitler becomes Chancellor of Germany.

1945: In a daring Raid at Cabanatuan, 126 American rangers and Filipino resistance fighters liberate over 500 Allied POWs from the Japanese controlled camp.

1948: Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi is assassinated by a Hindu extremist.

1956: Martin Luther King Jr's home is bombed in retaliation for the Montgomery Bus Boycott.

1965: Some one million people attend former Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill's funeral, the biggest in the United Kingdom up to that point.

1968: Vietnam War: Tet Offensive launch by forces of the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army against South Vietnam, the United States, and their allies.

1969: The last public performance of the Beatles takes place, on the roof of the Abbey Road Studios in London.

1972: The Bloody Sunday Massacre occurs as British Paratroopers open fire on and kill fourteen unarmed civil rights/anti-internment marchers in Derry, Northern Ireland.

2003: The Kingdom of Belgium officially recognizes same-sex marriages.

2013: Naro-1 becomes the first carrier rocket launched by South Korea.

Selected births and deaths: Livia, wife of Emperor Augustus, born 58 BCE. Phil Collins, musician in Genesis, born 1951. Betsy Ross, designer of the US flag, died 1836. Orville Wright, American flight pioneer, died 1948.

On Cromwell: Are you telling me that they play-executed a dead body?
On Ross: Hasn't that story about her designing the first American flag been disproven?

Yes.

And with regards to Ross, nothings been proven nor disproven with regards to her designing the US flag or not, although at the very least it is generally accepted that she did change the stars from 6 pointed to 5 pointed.

31 January:

314: Pope Sylvester I succeeds Pope Miltiades. During Sylvester's Pontificate the First Council of Nicaea is held, and Constantine the Great builds the Basilica of St. John Lateran, Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, Old St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, over the graves of early Christian martyrs.

1504: France cedes Naples to Aragon.

1606: Guy Fawkes is executed in London.

1747: The first venereal diseases clinic opens at London Lock Hospital.

1865: The United States Congress passes the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, abolishing slavery and submits it to the states for ratification. On the same day, Confederate General Robert E. Lee becomes General-In-Chief of the Confederate Army.

1915: The first large scale poison gas attack in war occurs as German forces use it to attack Russian positions in the Battle of Bolimow.

1917: Germany announces that its U-boats will resume unrestricted submarine warfare after a two-year hiatus.

1929: The Soviet Union exiles Leon Trotsky.

1942: Allied forces are defeated by the Japanese at the Battle of Malaya and retreat to the island of Singapore.

1943: Field Marshal Friedrich Paulus surrenders to the Red Army, officially bringing to a close the 900 day Siege of Stalingrad.

1944: American forces land in the Marshall Islands. On the same day, the First Rangers Battalion are wiped out by German forces in Italy.

1945: About 3,000 inmates from the Stutthof concentration camp are forcibly marched into the Baltic Sea at Palmnicken (now Yantarny, Russia) and executed. Meanwhile, fighting in the Battle of Hill 170 ends with the British 3 Commando Brigade repulsing a Japanese attack. The victory prevents the Japanese 54th Division from escaping Burma and further Amphibious landings by Allied forces force the Twenty-Eighth Japanese Army to withdraw as Japan lost ground in the Burma Campaign.

1950: US President Harry Truman announces that the United States will develop the hydrogen bomb.

1968: Nauru gains independence from Australia.

1971: The Winter Soldier Investigation, organized by the Vietnam Veterans Against the War to publicize war crimes and atrocities by Americans and allies in Vietnam, begins in Detroit.

1990: The first McDonalds in the Soviet Union opens in Moscow.

1995: US President Bill Clinton authorises a $20 billion loan to Mexico to help stabilise its economy.

2010: Avatar becomes the first film to gross over $2 billion worldwide.

Selected births and deaths: Tokugawa Ieyasu, founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate, born 1543. Marcus Mumford, American-English singer songwriter, born 1987. A.A. Milne, English author and creator of Winnie the Pooh, died 1956. Muammer Aksoy, Turkish Kemalist academic and politician, assassinated in 1990.

Did the US eventually develop that bomb?

Also:

On 2 February:

1812: The Russian-American Company establishes Ft. Ross in the Bay Area to aid colonization of Alaska.
1847: The Donner Party suffers its first death.
1848: The Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo is signed, ending the Mexican-American War in an American landslide.
1942: Vidkun Quisling becomes Prime Minister of the Nazi-occupied puppet state of Norway.
1943: The last German soldier in Stalingrad surrenders to the Red Army, bringing the huge battle to a close.
1971: Idi Amin declares himself president & chief of the armed forces of Uganda.
1980: The ABSCAM sting operation is revealed to the general public.
2014: Phillip Seymour Hoffman dies of an accidental drug overdose.

March 8

1911- International Women's Day is launched in Copenhagen, Denmark by Clara Zetkin, leader of the Women's Office for the Social Democratic Party in Germany.

1963- The Ba'ath Party comes to power in Syria in a coup by Syrian Army officers calling themselves the National Council of the Revolutionary Command.

1983-President Ronald Reagan labels the Soviet Union an "evil empire" while addressing a convention of Evangelicals.

March 13

1852 - The Uncle Sam cartoon appears for the first time.

1930 - The discovery of Pluto is announced.

1942 - The U.S. starts officially training dogs for the K-9 Corps.

March 20th:

43 BC – Ovid, Roman poet. Ovid is estimated to be born at around March 20.

1956 – Tunisia gains independence from France.

2003 – Invasion of Iraq: In the early hours of the morning, the United States and three other countries (the UK, Australia and Poland) begin military operations in Iraq.

2015 – Solar eclipse takes place

The Democratic Republic of Tomb:
It did? Where? Is there a video? There wasn't a solar eclipse here in Murica that I know of today.

Today is the anniversary of the mass escape from Stalag Luft III in 1944: 75 out of 200 prisoners managed to escape, but after three days of manhunt only 3 missing.
50 are killed in hunting or executed in retaliation.
The event inspired the film "The Great Escape" (1963).

Syrixia:
The Democratic Republic of Tomb:
It did? Where? Is there a video? There wasn't a solar eclipse here in Murica that I know of today.
Solar eclipses only cover a tiny fraction of Earth's surface, whether total or partial. I believe that the only land that experienced a total solar eclipse that day was Svalbard and the Faroe Islands, though northern Europe got a partial solar eclipse. The next total solar eclipse that can be viewed from America will be in the August of 2017, I believe.

Happy 419th birthday today to Rene Descartes, a famous French philosopher and mathematician. He is most recognized as a creator of the Cartesian coordinate system, which is your basic (x,y). Some of you may also know him as the founder of Western philosophy, particularly Meditations on First Philosophy.
:birthday:

Sauceistan:
Happy 419th birthday today to Rene Descartes, a famous French philosopher and mathematician. He is most recognized as a creator of the Cartesian coordinate system, which is your basic (x,y). Some of you may also know him as the founder of Western philosophy, particularly Meditations on First Philosophy.
:birthday:
And a special song for Rene Descartes!

"Rene Descart was a drunken fart, "I drink therefore I am"! :clap: :cheese:

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9SqQNgDrgg[/flash]​

Reviving this thread.

On this day in 1847, the first rescuers found the surviving members of the Donner Party.

Back