[DRAFT] Repeal "Oil Tanker Standards Act"

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
The World Assembly,

Accepting that accidents involving oil tankers are an issue of importance to this body,

Regretting, however, that World Assembly Resolution #98, the "Oil Tanker Standards Act," is an incredibly flawed and problematic solution to those problems,

Noting that the World Assembly Oil Transportation Committee (WAOTC) is assigned the task of ensuring oil tankers are "kept up to meet requirements" without outlining exactly what those requirements are or how they even pertain to the resolution,

Further noting that the WAOTC is tasked with acquiring "new technology from member states already possessing it at the member state's consent" without defining what kind of technology it would acquire,

Knowing that requiring "non-proprietary double-hulled technology be made available to shipbuilders", without actually outlining the source of that technology, makes many of the WAOTC's assignments superfluous,

Understanding that the requirement to "phase out" single-hulled tankers is both costly and needless, as such tankers could find use hauling materials that are not as damaging to the environment,

Further understanding that GA#98 places an unreasonable burden on nations with pre-existing fleets of single-hulled tankers while failing to provide any relief to this burden by funding this requirement,

Observing that the resolution imposes a requirement for a “proper” ventilation system without explaining what the purpose of such a system would be, and therefore renders the requirement ambiguous and unenforceable as a mandate,

Astonished that the resolution urges nations to implement "other or better safety features aboard oil tankers other than what is specified here" despite the fact that "other safety features" may be inferior and used by nations to circumvent the requirements imposed on them previously in the resolution,

Believing that GA#98 is insufficient for the purpose of reducing spills, as there are many types of oil tanker designs that would not necessarily benefit from the technologies outlined here, nor would they see any benefit to the added costs these technology's integration would incur,

Hereby repeals World Assembly Resolution #98, the "Oil Tanker Standards Act."

Co-Authored by Renaissancistic People.

I am not familar with the act that was before my time. However I welcome the repeal of burdonsome goverment regulations, regional, national, international. So I am for this if it comes to a vote. However it will probably just be replaced by more regulations? Are you working on replacement resolution as well? Or just getting this one repealed?

Also just as a matter of my own curousity. As im still n00b as far as game play is concerned and like to stick with my one nation in one region. Why use your Europeia persona to draft this? And not TNP? Just personally curious.

I believe the Co-Author listed is the one traditionally used by R3n. He has two other co-author credits to that nation already. And I welcome any and all feedback as well.

I've edited the draft in the OP to include a link to the resolution being repealed.

TD and I were considering drafting a replacement. I can't speak for TD, but as far as I am concerned right now I don't want to make a firm commitment to write one. But it's certainly something I have in mind for the future. Hopefully though, a replacement, regardless of where it comes from, would be much lighter in terms of regulations than the current resolution.

I've used Renaissancistic People both here and in my other co-authorship ventures (Commend Astarial and Commend McMasterdonia, both available inside this subforum), because it is my first and oldest nation. I don't roleplay different "personas": there's a single player/character, r3naissanc3r, who controls a bunch of nations in a few regions.

EDIT: Posted before I saw TD's post, so there is some overlap in our posts.

r3naissanc3r:
TD and I were considering drafting a replacement. I can't speak for TD, but as far as I am concerned right now I don't want to make a firm commitment to write one. But it's certainly something I have in mind for the future. Hopefully though, a replacement, regardless of where it comes from, would be much lighter in terms of regulations than the current resolution.
StG^.

PaulWallLibertarian42:
I am not familar with the act that was before my time. However I welcome the repeal of burdonsome goverment regulations, regional, national, international.
My sentiments exactly.

I like the draft as it is written and for all the right reasons.

I am in favor of this repeal. It seems that the Act isn't specific enough or places to much burden on certain countries. I am for the repeal but of course a replacement would be very nice to have as we should have regulation, albeit lighter or more specific, for Oil Tankers.

Thank you,
Egalotir.

Boo replacment regulations! Don't pen a replacement. I am all for less regulations not more. Let the Free NationStates Market sort it out and private industry decide whats nessicary. Oil spills are bad for business. TNPP (The North Pacific Petroleum) doesnt want bad publicity getting out about them turning Spongebob's home into an oil slick and so I am sure they will ensure proper delievery of their cargo and impliment the highest safety measures nessicary.

Back