Map Claims Thread

Alunya if you need all the gimp files and everything else I have I can upload them and link you.

New Map
Egalotir:
Egalotir is planning on adding more of the land to the north, as our national Forest.
Some land was added for your forest. There had better be some new cat subspecies in there!

Proxy of Demescia:
Nevermind. I'll use the remaining land of Airella's continent
I left room for at least two new neighbors for you. When they eventually arrive, you can go to war with them if you want more territory. Of course, you might end up with less as well, depending on the outcome.

Andrew:
Is it possible if I could have the following claims located here
Done. If you need more, then war...

Konoha:
Can I have a plot in the map with coast and a small river?
Yes, you may. Welcome to the continent of Nukben (name courtesy of Hapre), where children play "Mouse, Cat and Elephant" when making decisions. (It is like Rock, Paper, Scissors where Mouse fears Cat, Cat fears Elephant, and Elephant fears Mouse.)

Nierr:
Alunya if you need all the gimp files and everything else I have I can upload them and link you.
I think the better thing to do is upload them to some space on the forum. There is no assurance that I'll be available to carry on with the duties of official cartographer, and it would be best to have the maps, which are cultural assets, on the TNP's forum. This way it can be transferred from one cartographer to the next as the need arises.

And it didn't take long for the authorities to advertise for a new cartographer either.

>^,,^<
Alunya

Thanks Alunya for the borders, but can it be tweaked? I would like my Northern and Northwestern borders to be extended beyond the river that you show as my northen border. My factbook lists my northern border as following a mountain chain. The river can run just south and parallel to that mountain chain. I would also like some tropical island dependencies in that big ocean to the East, plus another island colony in the central ocean just to the southwest of Gladio. Some Islands are too small to appear on RL maps(Howland Island for example) but are shown as a dot, so I believe I can claim such areas.

Here is my factbook info

"Climate: Varies; mostly temperate in the south with cold winters and cool summers; cold and snowy winters and cool summers in the northern interior, especially in the mountains; cool and damp along the coastline; warm and tropical in the southern island dependencies.
Terrain: Rich plains in the southwest, flat to rolling plateau in the central interior, rugged mountains in the north stretching from the western interior to the northeast coast.

Elevation extremes: Lowest point: In the southern coastal plain. Highest point: In the northeast mountains.

Natural hazards: the mountains are subject to earthquakes; plains have violent windstorms; heavy flooding.

Natural Resources: fertile plains of the south and central regions, zinc, tin, copper, iron ore, manganese, petroleum, uranium
Land Use:
arable land: 14.0 %
permanent crops: 5.4 %
other: 80.6 %
Irrigated land: 14,670.9 sq km
Environment-current issues: deforestation, soil degradation, desertification, air pollution, and water pollution”

Can I have my country's borders (Axeia) edited?
I kinda didn't want the detached land to the west and wanted the mainland to wrap around the sea to the north to where the small lake is. I would also like the south to bulge out into the land in between all the lakes.

Sorry if I was too vague before and thank you for changing it

New Map

Nasania, you now are on both sides of the river with land extending north to a small west-to-east ridge of mountains (not shown), a small archipelago off your east coast (shown), and an island dependency south of you in the seas between Gladio and Conoha (also shown). Good luck defending the latter!

Axeia, I think the new location is more what you were seeking. It was difficult to make this particular correction, so this is where you are going to be unless you can find a new player to adopt your territory in exchange for a location to be named later. It is far easier to erase a name than a nation. You had better have some interesting cat species in Axeia!

Conoha, you are now on a new continent, between Franconia and Gladio, per your request. You also have Nasania as a neighbor both to your northeast and southeast (offshore).

I am aware that the Kingdom of Airella, our westernmost nation, ceased to exist on Friday, July 25th, 2014. If s/he does not resurrect by Sept. 25th, and I still happen to be map-making, I intend to remove him or her from the map at that time.

>^,,^<
Alunya

If it's still available, I would like to claim the chunk immediately west of Norway XXVII for Adovion.
If not the whole chunk, then a small part on the coast.

Hot-blooded fighting mecha babes and savory meat dinners for all!

fullMETAL:
If it's still available, I would like to claim the chunk immediately west of Norway XXVII for Adovion.
If not the whole chunk, then a small part on the coast.

Hot-blooded fighting mecha babes and savory meat dinners for all!
I think the entire area west of Norway XXVIII is already occupied.

The savory meat dinners sound very appealing to the cat. But unless the hot-blooded fighting mech babes can gently pet her while she eats, I don't think she would have much interest in them.

>^,,^<
Alunya

Alunya:
New Map

Nasania, you now are on both sides of the river with land extending north to a small west-to-east ridge of mountains (not shown), a small archipelago off your east coast (shown), and an island dependency south of you in the seas between Gladio and Conoha (also shown). Good luck defending the latter!

Axeia, I think the new location is more what you were seeking. It was difficult to make this particular correction, so this is where you are going to be unless you can find a new player to adopt your territory in exchange for a location to be named later. It is far easier to erase a name than a nation. You had better have some interesting cat species in Axeia!

Conoha, you are now on a new continent, between Franconia and Gladio, per your request. You also have Nasania as a neighbor both to your northeast and southeast (offshore).

I am aware that the Kingdom of Airella, our westernmost nation, ceased to exist on Friday, July 25th, 2014. If s/he does not resurrect by Sept. 25th, and I still happen to be map-making, I intend to remove him or her from the map at that time.

>^,,^<
Alunya
If Airella doesn't come back could I get a chunk of the area they currently have?(Preferably an area stretching from east to west, with a coast on both sides). Please and Thank you.

Though if I don't get it I completely understand. :yes:

New Haven:
If Airella doesn't come back could I get a chunk of the area they currently have?(Preferably an area stretching from east to west, with a coast on both sides). Please and Thank you.

More!?

Yrkidding:
New Haven:

More!?
... Imperialism is fun.

fullMETAL:
Thanks Alunya! Is there a way I can get a vector of my little chunk of the North Pacific dream?
In short, no. You are welcome to do your own vector graphics. I can supply an enlarged pixel image of your nation if you wish.

New Haven:

An area stretching from east to west with coast on both sides can be arranged. You might be better off negotiating with Adovion and Norway XXVIII for the rights to a canal zone from the western sea through the lakes at their common northern border and thence to and down the river within Norway XXVIII, and you might get to know them as well in the process. But yes, your request can be met to the letter of the law; no fussing if that happens.

The Spokesman of Eumenor:
Alunya, I'm trying to work out my country's area and population density. What scale is the map on?
Thanks!
Per Nierr, each pixel is two kilometers by two kilometers, or four square kilometers. The map shown is a flat projection. Do not use it to calculate distances or angles of direction. You should count each pixel, including the sand and mud flats, within your territorial boundaries. I have been working on a means of projecting some form of latitude and longitude on the map using an oblate spheroid. Those lines would necessarily be curved.

Also, is Boxica still a thing?
No, Boxica is now the WA delegate and founder of the region Hagbrezza, and therefore no longer eligible for a spot on The North Pacific's map. Removing Boxica will be the first order of business when I get back to map-making, probably on Tuesday, 2 Sept. 2014.

>^,,^<
Alunya

Hi,

Can I have a piece between Tomb and Jagerton please (along the coast and lake if possible).

Thanks
Bob

i have a suggestion to build the canal through the lakes straight to the ocean and connect my main river part to the lake via the canal/This is just a suggestion.

Also Alunya,is it ok if i have my own little island to the east of my nation which is chock full of norwegian forest cats?the idea is from you so thank you for the idea.

ok nevermind about the first part i just saw the river in my nation part so forget it,sorry. :p

Hello. I was wondering if it would be possible to colonise the area in black. It's right under Dalies.

New.png

Also, I was wondering if I could help out with the map. I have gimp installed on my computer, and I was thinking I could create a map dedicated to showing specific resources such as iron, coal, oil, forests and other raw materials. This would be its own map so you wouldn't have to do any editing. People would just reference it and it would help influence their decisions on where to place their nation (or expand their boundaries or even invade other nations for RP purposes)

Fenichi:
Also, I was wondering if I could help out with the map. I have gimp installed on my computer, and I was thinking I could create a map dedicated to showing specific resources such as iron, coal, oil, forests and other raw materials. This would be its own map so you wouldn't have to do any editing. People would just reference it and it would help influence their decisions on where to place their nation (or expand their boundaries or even invade other nations for RP purposes)
:agree:
That's a really good idea!

Fenichi:
:agree:
That's a really good idea!
:agree: as well

New Map

Notices:
  • Boxica has been removed since they are no longer part of The North Pacific by moving elsewhere.
  • The United Allied States has been removed since they are no longer part of The North Pacific by moving elsewhere.
  • Airella has ceased to exist and shall be removed on or after Sept. 25th if they do not resurrect.
  • Nonsensecial (known as Nonsensical) has ceased to exist and shall be removed on or after October 21st if they do not resurrect.
BobFlutie:
Hi,

Can I have a piece between Tomb and Jagerton please (along the coast and lake if possible).

Thanks
Bob
Yes. Done. Welcome aboard!

Thanks, will get to it. Can I maybe claim Boxica too, seeing as I literally surround it?
Yes. I had a claim for the same telegrammed to me, but checking the time stamp, your claim preceded it. Moreover, I made it clear that claims must be made publicly in this thread. I want this as transparent as possible. Now unless there is some very compelling reason why one cannot post here (and I'll be checking with the admins on any such reasons), then any TG'd or PM'd claim will not be honored.

I do reserve the right to give new claims precedence over additional claims if filed in a timely manner.

Helgraf:
i have a suggestion to build the canal through the lakes straight to the ocean and connect my main river part to the lake via the canal/This is just a suggestion.

Also Alunya,is it ok if i have my own little island to the east of my nation which is chock full of norwegian forest cats?the idea is from you so thank you for the idea.

ok nevermind about the first part i just saw the river in my nation part so forget it,sorry. :p
The archipelago is on your southeast coast. Please talk to New Haven America and Adovion about the possibility of a canal; either or both may be interested in negotiating something with you. Adovion shares that border with you.

Fenichi:
Hello. I was wondering if it would be possible to colonise the area in black. It's right under Dalies.

New.png

Your colony has been added.

I really like this idea. I would suggest that two maps be maintained; one for nonrenewable resources (oil, gas, coal, tar, peat, minerals, ores, precious metals like silver, platinum and gold, kaolin, salt, gypsum, gravel, granite, marble, quartz, limestone, cement, sands and semi-/precious stones) and another map for renewable resources (crops, livestock, forests, wildlife, fisheries). They may overlap in terms of area; for instance, sometimes prime cattle country is also used for oil and gas exploitation. Keeping the two types separate should reduce the overall clutter and allow one map (probably the renewables, more frequently) to be edited independently of the other map.

It might be best to organize a thread or two first along those lines. This would allow everyone to make suggestions as to what types of resources should be included. I would suggest some common symbols -- for instance, a small oil well for oil, tar, natural gas and helium with a brief 4-letter (or less) word as a descriptor, like oil, tar, gas, He. These should be small font sizes.

I'm using California FB font, size 26 for titles of nations on the political map.

Crossed pick-axes could indicate a quarry or a mine. A fish would indicate a fishery (the cat loves tuna), a tree represents a forest, etcetera.

I would also recommend three main and three alternate colors. For instance, a black symbol (alternate: white) would indicate the resource is likely in the area indicated. A purple symbol (alternate: yellow) would indicate that a reserve, not currently exploited, is known to exist -- it might be an exhausted copper mine, or an oil well that isn't economical to run at current market prices, or a diamond pipe buried just beyond the reach of the most modern mining technology. A blue symbol (alternate: orange) would indicate a currently producing resource.

I suggest alternate colors because sometimes the main color won't contrast sufficiently with the background. A blue oil well on the sea just won't stand out very well; orange works much better offshore. And dashed lines can indicate a field, be it of sand or natural gas.

Other things to consider are that some resources tend to show up in conjunction with each other, like gold and silver. But you'll never find oil in an active volcanic zone. And some items should be rare, like diamonds and rubies.

I hope everyone would have the good sense to realize that scarcity promotes trade. Like Alunya would certainly export kaolin and import amber!

And that brings up my final point -- make the initial resources all prospective resources, that is those likely to be found. Each player has ideas for their country, and they may not match the resource map. For instance, Alunya may be flat and dry, perfect grain country and perfect cattle country as well. But we don't raise cattle for meat, not even for export, in any significant quantity and we never will. We have coal but little natural gas and negligible oil. Making the resource map suggestive allows players the freedom to sculpt their own vision.

But by all means, set up some discussion threads (outside of the map claims) and let's all get to work on this!

>^,,^<
Alunya

Thanks a bunch. Give me some time to organise a thread and I can get this thing rolling.

Not in the deep though, it might get stuck.

Alunya:
fullMETAL:
Thanks Alunya! Is there a way I can get a vector of my little chunk of the North Pacific dream?
In short, no. You are welcome to do your own vector graphics. I can supply an enlarged pixel image of your nation if you wish.
Alunya

Yes, I would like that very much. Thanks!

The archipelago is on your southeast coast. Please talk to New Haven America and Adovion about the possibility of a canal; either or both may be interested in negotiating something with you. Adovion shares that border with you.
I would agree to the creation of a canal. I just now sent a telegram stating such to Norway 28 and New Haven.

New Map

Skoggkat Canal has been added. The western portion is under the canal zone control of New Haven America with the river under control of Norway XXVIII with a port at the eastern end under control of New Haven America. Adovion has no direct control unless you all decide you want to do this a bit differently. i can also change names if you all agree to new ones. I just used these names as place holders.

Assume there are locks between the lakes; this is not a sea level canal.

I hope this works for all three of you!

>^,,^<
Alunya

its my river so is it ok if i have the port?then again id have to consult with new haven america wouldnt i? ok me and new haven have agreed on the exact details of the canal if thats ok with you.

I think maybe it would be nice to have a separate map with cities, rivers, natural features, e.t.c. labeled on it, that everyone could contribute to, to be more like a real map, so people can see how others imagine their states and interact over borders for r.p. For instance, if there are mountains in the way of a capital city, an invader may need to go round. A political map is good but could be augmented with another showing natural features.

Hello Alunya can you please add a small island near my coast please.Thanks you for my map , you making an amazing job ith this map,Alunya.

New Map
Helgraf:
its my river so is it ok if i have the port?then again id have to consult with new haven america wouldnt i? ok me and new haven have agreed on the exact details of the canal if thats ok with you.
Norway XXVIII, you have control of the river in your territory. It is assumed that you have ports on your river even though the map doesn't show where they are. It is a political map and shows territories, not details.

The small Port Kosen Gira exists to give New Haven America access to the eastern approaches of the Skoggkat Canal/<Norway XXVIII's river name here> system. Because Port Kosen Gira is a territory it is shown on the political map.

New Haven America has control of the canal zone from your river to the western approaches. Presumably yourself, Adovion and New Haven America have all worked out some mutual access and patrol responsibilities for the river and canal system. Any nation using that system could be expected to interact with any of you three in transit.

As a yachtsman, I would expect to be stopped and boarded by your coast guard on your river, just so your authorities could make sure I wasn't carrying unauthorized weapons (like dynamite for fishing, for the cat of course) or illegal contraband (like catnip, for the cat of course) or undocumented laborers (like a ship's cat, employed as a mouser).

But I'm willing to change things if you all are mutually agreed to the changes. New Haven America, would you like to give up Port Kosen Gira?
I think maybe it would be nice to have a separate map with cities, rivers, natural features, e.t.c. labeled on it, that everyone could contribute to, to be more like a real map, so people can see how others imagine their states and interact over borders for r.p. For instance, if there are mountains in the way of a capital city, an invader may need to go round. A political map is good but could be augmented with another showing natural features.
The last updated Physical Map (from June 7, 2014) can be found here.

At present it does not show borders, nor some of the landmass modifications and islands.

At the moment the physical map (though outdated) and the political map shall have to both be consulted for military and other role plays. While I'm for more detail (who isn't?), I do have some concerns about maintaining too much detail given the increased workload and the volatility of nations (they come and go). Also, too much detail may constrain others' imaginations vis-a-vis their nations -- what one person calls a boreal forest may be considered another's tropical jungle, without any regard for latitudes, climatic zones, or terrain. I'm not dismissing the idea though; I'll think about it further to determine what might be feasible.

Konoha:
Hello Alunya can you please add a small island near my coast please.Thanks you for my map, you making an amazing job with this map, Alunya.
Well, you already had one very small island off your southwest coast. I added two more, slightly larger, in the same area. Your coast guard patrol vessels and passenger ferries should have a lot of fun running back and forth! And remember, it isn't the sharks you have to worry about -- it is the man-eating catfish!

>^,,^<
Alunya

actually alunya after i sent the message new haven america kinda offered co ownership of the port so that doesnt matter anymore also catnip is not illegal here.

Helgraf:
actually alunya after i sent the message new haven america kinda offered co ownership of the port so that doesnt matter anymore also catnip is not illegal here.
The name of the port stays btw.(I happen to like the name *Nod*)

Back