First GRA June Update

Joe Bobs

TNPer

Global Right Alliance News
Special Update - June 2014

Hello from the GRA!

The GRA was founded in 2005 and refounded in 2007, with our population peak in 2010 at over 500 nations. We are a founding member of the FRA. We are known for our political innovation, including the infamous 'rotatorship' (rotating dictatorship), and also for our "unique" character. We're so badass, we only punch one hole in our microwave meals. That's right.

In the immortal words of Jonewest, 'f*ck common courtesy, this is the GRA.'

Change Places!

Change of Government in the GRA

jeI7ARi.jpg

Joe Bobs takes helm as Speaker.

These last few weeks have been turbulent in the GRA. Following from the trials and tribulations of Monkey-wee-wee-gate, (or, as Bhang Bhang Duc pointed out, Orangutan) a period of inactivity fell on the region. What at first appeared like a few days of withdrawal to let emotions cool, then dragged on. Whilst some members were continuing, it became clear that some were not returning. Jonewest resigned as High General of the GRADF, followed by Sovereign Liberties' resignation. Joe Bobs attempted to contact Speaker Old Zertaxia, to no avail [note: Speaker is head of all branches of government in the GRA system, executive, judicial, and legislative].

After several more days, Joe Bobs called a vote of no confidence in the Speaker, which passed the People's Assembly. Following this, Joe Bobs (First Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs) and Angusp/Bodegraven (Delegate) announced their candidacies for Speaker. Both sides fought a clean campaign (perhaps a first in GRA history), with Joe Bobs eventually emerging victorious, titling himself Speaker and First Minister.

Extracts from Joe Bobs' inaugural address:

It is my great pleasure to address you, the People's Assembly of the Global Right Alliance, as your newly elected Speaker and First Minister. I am honoured to have been chosen to lead the GRA forward into this second phase of our rebirth.

Firstly, I wish to thank my predecessor, Old Zertaxia. As one of the fathers of this region, his guidance has always been appreciated, and I for one am hopeful he will return soon, so he can continue to guide us. His term saw the creation of our Declaration of Assembly, expansion of our foreign relations, regional growth, and the careful navigation of several crises.

However, if we are to continue to grow in activity, we must work towards it. We are facing an early summer lull, a reduction in the number of new players joining the game, and increase in the number of active players reducing participation or leaving entirely. It will be a hard fight to avoid this trend, but I believe we can do it. ...

In foreign affairs, we have navigated our way through a severe diplomatic crisis, but must now look at how to repair the damage. We need to secure the relationships we have with good, trusted friends, help build up the relationships with new friends or those who don't yet fully know us, and consider closing embassies with those who yield fruitless relations. Our updates are read widely, but this isn't enough: we should be attending and hosting inter-regional events, having a presence in the WA, and having enough ambassadors that each can focus on and give time to their embassies. I will be working closely with Minister Jonewest, combining our knowledge and skills to create a diplomatic plan that will ensure the GRA furthers its positions as a world leader.

Internally, however, is where our most work is needed. Our population holds steady, but you and I know the uniqueness the GRA has to offer. ... We are one of the oldest Defender regions in the game, let's prove that's not a shadow of the past, that we are a force to be reckoned with today. I'm excited to work with someone with the enthusiasm, intelligence and dedication of Fighter4u in making these goals happen.

This is the immediate agenda, and I and my Ministers will make this happen. However, we cannot do this alone. We need all of the GRA to help, to take part, to be active. This is the greatest region in NationStates, with a history, a reputation and a spirit to be proud of. I've seen activity and participation decline, but we must not let it. We need to remember that whilst it's easy to say no, it's easy to be against participation, it's easy to shut ourselves away from the world, this will lead to stagnation and death, and we will lose this land we love. If you want a GRA you remember from the golden age, whenever your golden age was, it needs people to make that happen. And you are people, so make it happen.

True, the GRA has a reputation for freedom of speech, for pushing the envelope, and I for one would not give that up. But I fear we have become an imitation of ourselves, a region dedicated to offending. This is not the GRA way, it never has been. We have had periods of pushing boundaries before, but we did not make it our mission. It is a key part of us, and I always hope that the GRA is considered the region that is dedicated to freedom of speech, above all others, but that doesn't mean we have to offend every chance we have. If that is the only value the GRA has, we are no better than trolls. The GRA must stand for more: for our dedication to Defending, for our political savvy and intelligence, for our ingenuity and originality. These, as well as free speech, have always been at the core of the GRA, and we must not forget them now.

So I thank you for choosing me as Speaker, but I ask that we all remember that in becoming a Citizen-Legislator, we each of us are in a position of responsibility to the region. To paraphrase John F. Kennedy, ask not what your region can do for you, but what you can do for your region.

People's Assembly Filling Up the Law Books

The People's Assembly continues to legislate like it's Article 19 Section 99. Currently on the table are building a framework for scheduled elections, moving away from the current challenge / vote of no confidence system; democratizing the FRA representative selection process; and building a legislative framework for the WA Delegacy.

WookieO Returns!

tN1jyvE.jpg

WookieO lands in the GRA.

WookieO, former President and Delegate, and avid anti-bagel fanatic, has returned to the GRA after years in the wilderness. We welcome back our hirsute friend!

OMAHD Bar a Hive of Debate

In the future, historians will recall Plato's Academy, the Roman Senate, and the GRA's OMAHD Bar as the great centres of political debate. Currently up for discussion are the best/worst US Presidents, US foreign policy, British local elections and EU elections. All are welcome!

Finally, the GRA maintains its eternal war against Falconias.

In the words of Dupitable, "This great and ignoble community of assorted wierdoes, geeks, closet homosexuals and borderline psychopaths that we call the GRA."

Written by Joe Bobs. With thanks to Orioni for the penguin image.

Back