Request for Review of Election Commissioners

Recently, Romanoffia was left off of the ballot for Vice Delegate. However, he did make a campaign thread. My question is, under the Legal Code's Section 4.3, Item 9 (below), would it be within or overreaching the Election Commissioners' jurisdiction to ignore Romanoffia's blatant declaration of candidacy for Vice Delegate?

9. In General and Judicial elections, Election Commissioners will be appointed by the Delegate to oversee the nomination and election processes at least one week before the month in which the election begins. If an appointment of Election Commissioners has not been made by that time, the Chief Justice shall promptly make the appointment within 48 hours.

Is the use and observation of only a specific nomination thread a Commissioner's way of "overseeing" an election? Or is this case of Roman's ignored candidacy the result of a Commissioner failing to do their assigned duty by recognizing candidates according to the legal definition of candidate (law below)?

5. "Candidates" are those citizens who declare themselves, or have accepted a nomination by another Assembly member preceding the close of nominations, as a candidate for an office to be chosen at that election. Candidates may only stand for one office during a given Election Cycle.

I believe that I, and any other resident of The North Pacific is affected by this because it has the possibility to change the course of an election and who wins said election. Additionally, it affects I and any possible future candidate in The North Pacific as far as declaring one's candidacy.

PD EDIT: Added date to subtitle

I would also request that I be added to this filing as an 'affected party' as well as submit it in duplicate as an affected party.

Amended:

I would also request that I be added to this filing as an 'affected party' individually and severally.

I as an election commissioner in the election wish to ask the Court to handle this matter with expedience as it directly relates to an ongoing election.

This review is accepted. Due to the urgent nature of this review, there will be just 5 hours for briefs to be submitted.

It would appear to me that the definition of "candidate" is worded such to prevent someone from being elected who did not actually want the job. We don't want someone to go on vacation and come back to find out they've been elected delegate. So we have a nomination process, and candidates either have to nominate themselves or accept a nomination from someone else. It would be a perversion of that clause to interpret it as a requirement for candidates to jump through an administrative hoop to get their names on the ballot. I'm all for adherence to procedure, or I wouldn't be doing the job I am, but to keep someone off the ballot who clearly announced their candidacy well before the close of nominations would be absurd.

As regards a remedy, I would suggest that the election for Vice-Delegate start over in a new voting thread, and the elections for Delegate and Speaker go on as planned. Any votes cast so far for Vice-Delegate would be vacated, but votes cast for Delegate and Speaker would remain valid, and the Delegate and Speaker elections would end as scheduled on the 18th.

Respectfully submitted,​

I forgot to include that the Election Commission responded that Romanoffia's candidacy was invalid because he did not post in the nomination thread designated by the Election Commission when Romanoffia demanded explanation.

Edited for grammar.

Crushing Our Enemies:
As regards a remedy, I would suggest that the election for Vice-Delegate start over in a new voting thread, and the elections for Delegate and Speaker go on as planned. Any votes cast so far for Vice-Delegate would be vacated, but votes cast for Delegate and Speaker would remain valid, and the Delegate and Speaker elections would end as scheduled on the 18th.
I'll consult Hileville and Eluvatar, about whether that would be appropriate in this case. In the mean time, I will wait for the findings of the Court.

While one can see the need for the Election Commissioners to conduct orderly elections. it seems requiring a particular piece of red tape affixed to a specific document in a designated location is obstructive bureaucracy. It's not like Roman buried the posting of his intent to run in the "What are you thinking?" thread over in the OOC. It is in the election forum. It is moderated by the Election Commissioners. There is evidence in the thread that at least one of the Commissioners was aware Roman was running, as he both made a comment and posed a question to the candidate.

Indeed, I would be surprised if there were any commissioners who were not aware of the thread. I've got to say, no matter how the court rules on this, the Election Commissioners should still feel free to do the common sense thing and put Roman on the ballot. After all, there's no law that says they can't.

On the contrary however, Roman has run in enough elections to be familiar with the filing process. Having one matters; if we don't then there is no easy way to determine who is and who isn't a candidate. Is creating a thread in the elections area enough? Posting on the RMB? On IRC? Who judges that?

This sucks for Roman, but it should be tough luck. He didn't file his paperwork in time.

What paperwork? As I noted in the OP and have said previously there is no requirement for there to be a post just in the nomination thread. It's not my problem who judges it on the RMB or IRC, but it wasn't defined in the law.

I would argue that the Election Commission has the duty to establish a reasonable filing system, just as the Court must establish a reasonable system of court rules and the Speaker a system of Regional Assembly rules.

Belschaft:
I would argue that the Election Commission has the duty to establish a reasonable filing system, just as the Court must establish a reasonable system of court rules and the Speaker a system of Regional Assembly rules.
A cohesive and understandable argument. These two arguments are the exact reason I filed this with the courts.

The Election Commission Submission regarding the Request for Review by Funkadelia and Romanoffia regarding the Election Commission's administration of the May 2013 General Election
ec-seal.png
We will point first to three relevant clauses of the Legal Code's Chapter 4 (Section 2):
TNP Legal Code:
5. "Candidates" are those citizens who declare themselves, or have accepted a nomination by another Assembly member preceding the close of nominations, as a candidate for an office to be chosen at that election. Candidates may only stand for one office during a given Election Cycle.
6. "Election Commissioner" is an individual designated to supervise a given election. No one who may be a candidate in an election may serve as an Election Commissioner during it.
9. In General and Judicial elections, Election Commissioners will be appointed by the Delegate to oversee the nomination and election processes at least one week before the month in which the election begins. If an appointment of Election Commissioners has not been made by that time, the Chief Justice shall promptly make the appointment within 48 hours.
The Election Commission is thereby assigned supervision of elections. This Election Commission, consisting of Eluvatar, Hileville, and Lord Ravenclaw was appointed by Delegate Jamie here.

This Election Commission followed traditional practice in expecting all nominations, acceptances of nomination, and declarations of candidacy to take place in the designated Nominations topic. This practice appears to have been followed in every election under the revamped legal code (and we believe in all or nearly all elections previous to the revamp, but this commission did not have the time to investigate). This practices is, we believe, motivated by avoiding a requirement to dig through each and every topic to understand who is or is not nominated or a candidate. It pains this commission to point out that there is no legal distinction between the Election area and the rest of the forum, or even the RMB and IRC -- if the Election Commission cannot designate a particular topic for nominations, then we fear we are to be expected to investigate any concievable venue for nomination or acceptance thereof.

We investigated the following Nomination topics:

http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7029517/1/
Crushing Our Enemies:
This thread is for nominations for Delegate, in a Special Election to fill McMasterdonia's vacated office. Individuals may self-nominate. Any candidate who is nominated by someone else must state his or her acceptance in this thread before the scheduled close of nominations in order to be considered a candidate and placed on the ballot. Seconding is not necessary.
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7026350/1/
(Rule practiced implicitly)
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7015698/1/
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7002333/1/
Cormac Stark:
Individuals may self-nominate. Any candidate who is nominated by someone else must state his or her acceptance in this thread before the scheduled close of nominations in order to be considered a candidate and placed on the ballot.
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6994561/1/
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6985697/1/
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6980714/1/
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6978718/1/
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6960330/1/
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6953352/1/
The Voting Booth (Isimud):
If you have previously been nominated, or nominated yourself, in a thread other than this one, you MUST nominate/be nominated again in this thread. This thread, and only this thread, will be used for nomination validation.
We, the Election Commission, using the above examples therefore state that there is a historical precedent which suggests candidates must accept their nominations and declare themselves within the official topic. In this case, it did not happen and we do not feel that we can be expected to monitor every possible source of information for candidates declarations and nominations besides what is considered as the designated topic, which was updated to include candidates and when they were nominated and/or accepted their nominations. Whilst an error was shown that Romanoffia was not included on the ballot for Delegate, after Chasmanthe's nomination was for Vice-Delegate was withdrawn and switched to Delegate, we do not have any record of Romanoffia accepting a nomination for Vice-Delegate (the platform he is now campaigning for) in the official elections thread, nor do we know why he is specifically requesting a review of this when he has participated in numerous elections in The North Pacific which required a nomination or declaration to be in the appropriate topic.

Therefore we believe that we have committed no error in not listing Romanoffia in the Vice-Delegate ballot due to a lack of an appropriate declaration of candidacy. While some may call it red-tape to prefer appropriate declarations and nominations to be limited to one topic, it is our view that this renders the house-keeping work required reasonable and gives us a set view point to prevent us becoming embroiled in unnecessary complications.
We await the view of the court and thank you for your time.

~The Election Commision (Eluvatar, Hileville and Lord Ravenclaw)

May it also be noted that it is the Court who is to decide this issue as per the Constitution and not the EC.

Belschaft:
On the contrary however, Roman has run in enough elections to be familiar with the filing process. Having one matters; if we don't then there is no easy way to determine who is and who isn't a candidate. Is creating a thread in the elections are enough? Posting on the RMB? On IRC? Who judges that.

This sucks for Roman, but it should be tough luck. He didn't file his paperwork in time.
Regardless. The Constitution and Legal Code are quite clear on the actual, codified means and definitions.

On the other hand, the Election Commission has no codified nor published set of bureaucratic rules at all. That means the EC is essentially given 'legislative powers' on the fly to make any set of rules, no matter how convoluted or arcane, on the fly. Thus, this means the EC is determining the bureaucratic process for elections by practice and not by any legal or constitutional means.

But as stated in the Constitution and Legal code, the only written authority having the weight of law or regulations having the force of law, I have met all the legal and constitutional requirements to be on the ballot.

And, without the existence of a clearly defined and published set of EC created 'regulations' and 'procedures', there is an excessive burden placed upon candidates as candidates may, from time to time, be required to suss out these 'invisible' and non-published 'regulations' that exist not in print but in the aethers.

Simply stated, I have met all the requirements of the Constitution and Legal Code in order to be on the ballot. As GBM said, this is just common sense.

As it is now, our 'nomination' process is governed not by codified law but some unwritten, unpublished set of rules that no one can even remotely say is based upon the Constitution or Legal Code because it is 'unwritten'.

Are we a Democracy based upon a written Constitution and written Legal code or are we just a government upon which certain unwritten and therefore arbitrary and capricious 'rules' that appear nowhere over-ride the Constitution and Legal Code? If the latter is the case, then we are only a Democracy in name and an arbitrary government by practice.

And this is the ultimate question that must be asked:

Are we to abide by the specifics of the Constitution and Legal Code or are we to be actually governed by unpublished rules that fly in the face of the Constitution and Legal Code?

Once again, we see ourselves plagued with attention to bureaucratic minutiae involving some kind of unwritten code that flies in the face of written and published Laws and Constitution.

If a candidate who has met all Constitutional and Legal requirements is denied access to the ballot because of unwritten 'rules' that over-ride the written Constitution and Legal Code, then it sets the ugly and dangerous precedent for government by bureaucratic fiat. And that would be the end of the legitimacy of any government that proclaims itself to be a Democracy.

Funkadelia:
Your honor, I object to the submission of this brief, as it was submitted over 8 hours past the deadline.
I personally find the 5 hour time frame for submitting reviews on this matter insane. Today is mothers day and a Sunday. The tiemframe given by the Court started at 6:30am EST, which both Elu and I are in the EST timezone, and ending at 10:30am just 5 hours later is preposterous.

I can't speak for Elu but as for me I woke up already 2 hours into this period and had to spend time with my Mother for Mothers day and had other RL obligations to deal with. I didn't even get the chance to log on to any regional forum in NS until 4pm today.

I respectfully request that the brief submitted by the EC's be accepted considering the circumstances as stated above.

Your Honor, I would also submit for your consideration in this matter the principle that 'unwritten' laws, rules or procedures cannot be used as a means to thwart the written Constitution and Legal Code; and that to allow unwritten 'rules' and 'rules' having been established by practice over-ride the Constitution and Legal Code in violation thereof would essentially have the effect of and setting the precedent of 'fiat' governance.

Romanoffia:
Your Honor, I would also submit for your consideration in this matter the principle that 'unwritten' laws, rules or procedures cannot be used as a means to thwart the written Constitution and Legal Code; and that to allow unwritten 'rules' and 'rules' having been established by practice over-ride the Constitution and Legal Code in violation thereof would essentially have the effect of and setting the precedent of 'fiat' governance.
However in this case the Legal Code establishes that Election Commissioners are to supervise and oversee elections.

The Constitution also allows government bodies to create rules and procedures.

Your argument here is extremely flawed.

You are incorrect. "Oversee" and "Supervise" doesn't even remotely imply the right to create arbitrary and capricious rules that deny candidates who have met and complied with all Constitutionally detailed and Legally detailed requirements. NOWHERE in the Constitution nor Legal Code does it require a post in a 'nomination thread'. Nowhere in EC establish and published rules has that requirement been stated.

Practice does not establish legal standing. It may be common practice to violate the constitution because no one complains about it but that does not give a practice legal validity.

Again, I have met the requirements and actions required by the Constitution and Legal Code. Rules that conflict with the Constitution and Legal Code are unconstitutional and illegal. Nothing in the Constitution or Legal Code gives the EC any authority to prevent candidates who have met the minimum requirements as detailed in the Constitution and Legal Code from getting on the ballot.

But, according to your argument, it would be perfectly legal for the EC to deny a candidate access to the ballot because EC doesn't like that candidate and doesn't want them to run?

[silly grammar edit]

Romanoffia:
But, according to your argument, it would be perfectly legal for the EC to deny a candidate access to the ballot because EC doesn't like that candidate and doesn't want them to run?

No, that would be illegal. The constitution and bill of rights require the fair and equal treatment of everyone.

Eluvatar:
Romanoffia:

No, that would be illegal. The constitution and bill of rights require the fair and equal treatment of everyone.
Which begs the question: why, after meeting and complying with all the written requirements in the Constitution and Legal Code, am I being denied access to the ballot?

And,

Why are unwritten fiat rules published nowhere, unsupported by and in conflict with the Constitution and Legal Code taking precedence over the Constitution and Legal Code?

If the EC is going to make laws by practice and not detail those laws in published form, then how can anyone be expected to comply with said fiat laws when there is no source document that the EC can use to support their fiat laws? Practice does not make law. Law makes law and laws are codified and in written form and published as specific laws.

We write down laws and rules in detail for a very specific reason: so that no one can make up the laws and interpret them anyway they want at will.

This is what is happening now.

And it will put a severe dent in the credibility and legitimacy of the whole government.

Just admit it - you know and I know that I will not be permitted on the ballot because that's the way the powers that be want it regardless of the Constitution and the Laws.

This is not an argument thread!

The last brief was submitted -well- after the period closed, and the justices had already started our discussion. The reason the period was so short was to enable the matter to be dealt with quickly . I was not aware that it was mother's day in the states, but it doesn't matter. A short briefing period was essential to deal with this as quickly as possible, because we needed maximal time to consider it otherwise.

The speculation will stop, you will wait, and I expect the only posts in this thread from this point to be questions for the court. If I missed anything while reading through that mess on my phone, you can bump it up and I'll respond if appropriate.

(edit to fix the mess my phone made while I was editing)

Abbey Anumia:
This is not an argument thread!

The last brief was submitted -well- after the period closed, and the justices had already started our discussion. The reason the period was so short was to enable the matter to be dealt with quickly . I was not aware that it was mother's day in the states, but it doesn't matter. A short briefing period was essential to deal with this as quickly as possible, because we needed maximal time to consider it otherwise.

The speculation will stop, you will wait, and I expect the only posts in this thread from this point to be questions for the court. If I missed anything while reading through that mess on my phone, you can bump it up and I'll respond if appropriate.

(edit to fix the mess my phone made while I was editing)
Five hours for briefs, etc.,,, announced in the middle of the night is hardly enough time to discus a recipe for salad dressing. From the time this complaint was filed in the evening I woke up five hours later to find that the period for submitting anything was already concluded. Hardly enough time at all, wouldn't you say?

At any rate, we shall see what the outcome is and how that outcome will affect the government, Constitution and region in the short and long term.

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Funkadelia on the limits of Election Commissioners' powers

Opinion drafted by Abbey Anumia, joined by punk d

The Court took into consideration the Inquiry filed here by Funkadelia.

The Court took into consideration the Relevant parts of the Legal Code of the North Pacific:

5. "Candidates" are those citizens who declare themselves, or have accepted a nomination by another Assembly member preceding the close of nominations, as a candidate for an office to be chosen at that election. Candidates may only stand for one office during a given Election Cycle
6. "Election Commissioner" is an individual designated to supervise a given election. No one who may be a candidate in an election may serve as an Election Commissioner during it.

The Court opines the following:

The Legal question before the Court is whether the Election Commissioners have the power to set regulations for elections which require candidates declarations of candidacies to be placed in one place. The Court was presented with two potential interpretations of the relevant law in this case. One potential interpretation was that the Election Commissioners do not have this power, and that candidates simply have to declare themselves as such. The second interpretation was that they do have this power, and that Candidates must post their declarations in the relevant thread.

In order to make a decision, the Court considered the first of these possible rulings, and found that it would lead to absurdity when all of the relevant Law is considered together. If the Election Commissioners do not have the power to require candidacy declarations to be in their designated threads, then there would be no requirement for Candidates to post their declarations anywhere obvious, or even publicly. This would impact on the Election Commissioners ability to supervise and oversee elections, as set out by the Legal Code. Thus, the Court rejected this interpretation.

To this end, the Court finds that requiring Candidates to post their declaration in a thread designated for such a purpose is a reasonable manifestation of the Election Commissioners' ability to oversee an election. This means that the Election Commissioners' decision not to include Romanoffia on the ballot for the Vice Delegate election was legal, and those elections should continue as planned.

The Election Commission thanks the Madam Chief Justice, and Associate Justice, for their time and energy on this matter. This clarification and result is appreciated by the Commission and we are grateful for the time you have spent on this matter.

(Posted by Lord Ravenclaw on Voting Booth)

Abbey Anumia:
If the Election Commissioners do not have the power to require candidacy declarations to be in their designated threads, then there would be no requirement for Candidates to post their declarations anywhere obvious, or even publicly.
Unless the court ruled there was such a requirement.

punk d:
I will make myself available to answer any clarifications people may desire.
Shall this ruling be interpreted to mean that Election Commissioners can require nominations to be posted in any particular place they like, or only in a clearly marked public thread intended for that purpose?

So let me understand this. Funkadelia's original question was:

"Would it be within or overreaching the Election Commissioners' jurisdiction to ignore Romanoffia's blatant declaration of candidacy for Vice Delegate?"

To which the Court said it was ok to ignore Roman's campaign.

But I think they take it a bit further when the decision concludes:

"the Election Commissioners' decision not to include Romanoffia on the ballot for the Vice Delegate election was legal, and those elections should continue as planned." (Italics mine.)

This seems to be an answer to a question that was not raised. That is:

Is it within the EC's jurisdiction to recognize the candidacy if it is so inclined?

The opinion indicates that the EC shouldn't. It doesn't say the elections may continue; it says they should. I would like to know if this was the Court's intent. Is the Court directing the EC to carry on? Or is the EC legally permitted to add Roman to the ballot?

Well, all I can say is that this is not the sort of thing I fought hard four times to liberate TNP to achieve. This is not the sort of society we fought to preserve.

I am extremely disappointed in the quality of our justices, but not overly surprised.

I'm just posting to say that I asked the two other Justices to come to a decision without me i.e. a majority decision as my current RL schedule precluded me from acting in an incredibly expedient manor, as was the case here. I'm saying this in the event anyone was wondering why my name wasn't included in the joining.

I do wish to profusely apologise, and should the time frame have been just a little bit longer, I would have had the time to fully examine the facts, laws, and evidence present. I felt it was an important decision to review, and having rushed on a previous (and similar) occasion, I didn't want to have to do the same thing.

Apologies again and I should be more available from next week as I'm taking less shifts at work.

I will respond to COE and GBM this evening.

short answer to COE

Shall this ruling be interpreted to mean that Election Commissioners can require nominations to be posted in any particular place they like, or only in a clearly marked public thread intended for that purpose?

The ruling stipulated that Election Commissioners have the power to oversee/supervise the election process. The court did not find anything unlawful in the manner in which the current election is being administered. And by law, the court took into consideration the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Legal Code.

I will provide a more detailed answer later and also address GBM's question.

I would like to ask those that are commenting to try to make their comments of a constructive nature and refrain from namecalling. It will make the discussion of this issue less muddied with conversation not particularly useful in advancing understanding of our decision.

Abbey Anumia:
The Court was presented with two potential interpretations of the relevant law in this case. One potential interpretation was that the Election Commissioners do not have this power, and that candidates simply have to declare themselves as such. The second interpretation was that they do have this power, and that Candidates must post their declarations in the relevant thread.
I find myself wondering why, when the court was presented with two extremes both equally absurd - to wit, "Any declaration anywhere is valid" and "Only a single place is acceptable for nominations" - it did not simply take the path which courts frequently take and create a third ruling in the middle?

The court is not, and must not be, dependent upon filed briefs to present the entire spectrum of acceptable responses. The court must be able to apply its own reasoning and experience to craft good law - not merely pick someone else's answer out of a hat.

Can the court explain, please, why such a middle ground was not possible? Why they could not find a solution which maintained Roman's civil liberties and his ability to participate in the electoral process while also setting out a reasonable set of guidelines for any future incidents? Merely off the top of my head, I can think of any of these as providing a workable solution:

a) The ECs are free to regulate electoral procedure as they wish, but to do so they must create a set of standing rules independent of any given election. Roman should be placed on the ballot, and the Vice-Delegate voting should be restarted.
b) The ECs are free to regulate electoral procedure as they wish, but under the circumstances the court strongly urges them to place Roman on the ballot and restart the Vice-Delegate voting.
c) The EC, as they are responsible for the Elections subforum, are responsible for keeping track of the information in that subforum and cannot disqualify any candidate so long as they have declared themselves in a thread or post located within. Roman should be placed on the ballot, and the Vice-Delegate voting should be restarted.
d) As at least one of the ECs was aware of Roman's candidacy, his disqualification was not in the spirit of the constitution. Roman should be placed on the ballot, and the Vice-Delegate voting should be restarted.
e) Given his public campaign thread and the awareness of at least one of the ECs as to his intended candidacy, Roman should have been notified of his failure to meet the bureaucratic requirements of nomination prior to his disqualification on the day voting opened. Roman should be placed on the ballot, and the Vice-Delegate voting should be restarted.

Any of these would provide a middle ground, reasonable ruling, that would have upheld both the law and Roman's rights but would not have subjected these or future ECs to the vagaries of people wanting to push TNP boundaries. Can the court explain why none of these options was even considered?

Punk D’s reasoning for supporting the majority courts decision
Initial Thoughts
This is going to be an extensive response, so at the end I’ll put in a tl:dr. But I make this so that the citizens of The North Pacific can know that both Abbey and I thoroughly reviewed this situation and stand behind the ruling.
First, when I initially read this request I believed that the case for Roman to be placed on the ballot was a pretty good one. Upon an initial read of the laws Funk cited, my gut said this was a ‘no brainer’.
Thus for me, there had to be compelling evidence that allowed the Election Commission to place such a stipulation and that stipulation be legal. In essence, the burden lay with the Election Commission because Romanoffia demonstrated clear intent to run for office via his campaign thread. As some residents stated, ‘common sense’ dictated that Roman expressed his desire to run for office.
Unfortunately, the court is not a body interested in ‘common sense’ but legal sense.
Legal basis which supports the EC’s ability to “oversee” and “supervise” elections
Below are the sections of the Constitution, Legal Code, and Bill of Rights I looked at when coming to support the ruling our Chief posted earlier today. Honestly, the Bill of Rights is the key to this ruling because the Consitution and Legal Code are not specific on the subject in question.
Constitution Article 6:
4. Government bodies may create rules for their own governance subordinate to this constitution and the laws.
5. No law or government policy may contradict this constitution.
6. Procedures to fill vacancies in elected offices may be established by law.
The important parts of this citation are within 4 and 6. Government bodies may create rules for their own governance subordinate to the constitution and laws. The Election Commission is not a named “government body” within the constitution, but are named within the Legal Code which is what “established by law” in clause 6 refers to when it talks about filling vacancies in office. So, we have an establishment that government bodies may create rules and that the EC is a governmental body as created via the Legal Code. Article 5 states that no law or governmental policy – which I interpret as to include “rules” referred to in clause 4.
This allows the EC to create rules so long as they do not contradict the Constitution. Article 1 (not quote here) states nations are guaranteed rights under the Bill of Rights so government rules/policies cannot contradict that as well.
Legal Code Ch. 4.2:
The Legal Code defines candidate as one who declares him/herself (self-nomination) or accepts the nomination of another. It also states that the Election Commissioner is charged with supervising an election and also bars that person from standing as a candidate in the election they are overseeing. The Legal Code does not define “how” EC’s are to supervise the election process in this statute.
Legal Code Ch. 4.3:
9. In General and Judicial elections, Election Commissioners will be appointed by the Delegate to oversee the nomination and election processes at least one week before the month in which the election begins.
In this section of the Legal Code the EC’s are charged with overseeing General and Judicial elections, thus they have the authority to oversee the election in the request for review.
And here’s where my initial gut feeling started to turn due to what is written in the law. EC’s are charged with supervising and overseeing elections. Alright, what does supervising and overseeing mean? It usually means to administer, manage, and/or monitor a person, work, or process.
In this instance the EC established rules per the posting within Lord Ravenclaw’s initial nomination thread posting which stated:
Candidates can nominate themselves or be nominated by another person. Nominations do not require a second to be valid.
Candidates must be regional assembly members who have held membership for at least 15 days.
This thread is for nominations only, please campaign within the Election Subforum in the Agora.
This post will be edited to reflect nominated and accepted candidates for each office.
The EC submitted a brief which mentioned historical precedence. I rejected that notion because the authority under which the EC is given the ability to ‘supervise/oversee’ elections is via delegate appointment prior to each election cycle. Thus, rules from a prior EC do not and should not carry from one EC to the next unless the subsequent EC announces such rules will be in place. Each EC has a responsibility to establish rules as the Legal Code and Constitution are not specific in how to supervise or oversee elections. Rules have only one requirement that they not contradict the Constitution, Bill of Rights, or Laws.
In this election, the EC stated that the thread in question was for nominations only and that nominations included self-nominations (aka declaring themselves candidates per LC ch. 4.2) or be nominated by another person (ibid. LC 4.2). The EC established this rule and under that rule, Romanoffia was not a candidate because he didn’t nominate (again read: declare himself a candidate) within the specified thread the EC established as the thread for “nominations only”. I reviewed the claims Romanoffia made that he did make a post and also saw that the admins responded that no such post was made.
Since Romanoffia created a campaign thread he seemed to indicate intent to be a candidate on the ballot but since he did not follow the rule established by the EC he was left off the ballot. The question now is, is this legal? Per the Constitution and LC I found that the EC did not perform the execution of its duties in an illegal manner. However, I needed to look at parts of the Bill of Rights to see if in the execution of its duties Romanoffia’s rights were abused in some manner.
Bill of Rights excerpts:
5. All Nations of The North Pacific have the right to be protected against the abuse of powers by any official of a government authority of the region. Any Nation of The North Pacific has the right to request the recall of any official of a government authority of the region in accordance with the Constitution, that is deemed to have participated in such acts.
9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency. No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of the Constitution.
10. Each Nation entitled to a vote in any manner under the fundamental laws of the region is entitled to the equal treatment and protection of that Nation's right to vote.

11. No governmental authority of the region has the power to suspend or disregard the Constitution or the Legal Code.
Re 5 – The EC is not abusing its powers in creating rules. The question is, does the rule of only accepting nominations and declarations within the specified thread constitute an abuse of power? I do not believe it does since the posting of the same is in a place prominent for potential candidates to see and it is open for a number of the requisite number of days as established by law.
Re 9 – Every nation is guaranteed that governmental authorities – which the EC is a member of – follow the principles of democracy, accountability and transparency. The EC was very transparent in its post about nominations. The EC clearly established rules that allowed all qualified candidates to be placed on the ballot should they so choose to become a candidate.
Re 10 – I looked at this from an equal treatment and protection angle. Was Romanoffia unfairly singled out by the rules the EC created? Did any other candidate get on the ballot via a method not specified by the EC? No, no candidate did. Only candidates that followed the procedure are on the EC ballot.
Re – 11 I found that the rules established by the EC were congruent with the stipulations found within the Legal Code in their power to oversee and supervise elections. I found that they did not suspend any part of the Constitution or Legal Code. The key part of this finding was in reference to candidates declaring themselves. While the place where candidates can declare themselves is not defined within the Legal Code, for that matter, the place to nominate candidates is not defined, the EC is charged by the Legal Code to oversee and supervise such a process. The elections commission did so by creating the nomination thread and this was not out of step with the LC or Constitution.
With all of this as a back drop, my legal opinion is that the EC have administered this election in keeping with the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Legal Code and have not violated any law.
TL:DR Version
The EC has the right to establish rules. It did and Romanoffia did not follow those rules. Those rules do not equate to an abuse of power and the EC placed candidates on the ballot that followed the specified rules. Although, I suggest reading the full version.

Will get to detailed answers to COE and GBM asap.

punk d:
"Unfortunately, the court is not a body interested in ‘common sense’ but legal sense."
With all due respect to the Court,

Not only that, it would appear that the court is totally devoid of common sense.

Without common sense, 'the law is an ass' as the old adage goes.

Also, the fact that only five (5) hours in the middle of the night was given for briefs and arguments to be files is a travesty. You may as well have held to hearings in a private, password protected section of the forum in Timbuktoo.

In essence, not only was the decision a poor and totally devoid of any constitutional/legal reasoning or jurisprudence, it also constitution a denial of proper due process because of the inanely and deliberately short filing period.

In my expert opinion as a former Justice of this Court, this decision is not only absurd but also totally devoid of anything even remotely resembling 'common sense'. It also shows the Court's willingness to openly and thoughtlessly trump the Constitution and Legal Code by ignoring not only the Spirit of the the same, but also by setting an ugly precedent, carved in stone, that bureaucratic rigmarole trumps everything.

I appealed this decision using logic, reason, Constitution and Legal Code earlier today and a justice of this Court took about 2 minutes (quite literally) to dismiss it because there were no new 'facts' in the argument. It is disgustingly sad that the Constitution and Legal Code has been reduced to 'non-fact'.

Apparently, some people have forgotten that the ultimate arbiter of what is constitutionally and legally correct is the People. And, the People will speak concerning this matter in the RA, and, not that it means anything anymore, the voting booth.

It is also the opinion of a substantial number of individuals who have contacted me about all of this that an immediate recall of the responsible justices is possible.

It is a sad day when Justice becomes the arbitrary hind end of Bureaucratic foibles aimed at tinkering with elections, laws and Constitution.

Remember, next time it could be any of you who end up as a target of bureaucratic 'tradition'. And it will be that way, I assure you, with court decisions like this.

Roman - you didn't actually address what I wrote. Specifically, you talk about bureaucratic tradition and in my comments I specifically stated that I rejected the EC's claim of "historical precedence".

In order to have an effective dialogue on this subject, you'll need to quote more than one sentence in my 1,500+ word commentary on how I arrived at my decision.

You are certainly free to disagree with any points of law or opinions of law I concluded, but it would be most constructive to do so using the law itself.

Back