Liberty Party of The North Pacific

unibot:
Do we have a party position on the recall? I think it may be wise to abstain with either choice bringing up a Progressive. We either have to choose from an active or an inactive one.
I don't believe we have an official position. Your point is a valid one, but I also think we need to consider what's best for The North Pacific. Having an indefinitely inactive Delegate isn't best for any of us. Besides, it appears that the Vice Delegate has just joined the Liberty Party.

Malvad:
Will we have any candidates in the judicial election?
It's up to each member of the Liberty Party to decide whether or not to run for office. I personally will not be running for judicial office but I would encourage any Liberty Party member with an interest in running to do so.

Kingborough:
May I ask how 5/7 doesn't count as a majority? =/
In the absence of a party meeting to decide on official rules for platform changes, I've been requiring a majority of all party members to agree to a platform change. We have ten party members so a majority would have been at least six votes in favor.

Tim:
I'd like to join the Liberty Party.
Accepted. Welcome to the Liberty Party!

Are we ENDORSING any candidates, making a slate, or just putting it out there? I'm in favor of a slate, if we have enough people.

I've decided to completely disengage from The North Pacific's politics and government, so I resign from the Liberty Party. Best of luck! You'll need it. :P

Methinks we should have elections. Or actually make a party structure. How about we start with electing a Chairman?

In the absence of anyone else to say yes, yes. Also I'd like to propose we meet sometime on IRC to discuss party leadership, or just figger it out now. Any ideas?

Go to the top right corner, where it says preferences, in that menu there is an option change signature. Put this in it
Code:
[img]http://s17.postimage.org/i8p3alv4b/liberty_1.png[/img]

I've noticed that both Kingborough and I are running in the Emergency Delegate Election.

Do we want to have a Party Primary then?

Anyone want to set that up. I would, but I'm running and I don't want voter fraud accusations :P

Well, let's have a list of candidates, what system do we want to use to vote and how long of a vote.

I'd like to set it up, sounds fun :)

Let's say nominations are open until midnight on the 7th? Ready player one? GO!

I've reapplied for membership in the Regional Assembly, but I do think it's a good idea for the party to have leadership positions and elections -- I hadn't intended to be de facto party leader forever -- and I support primary elections as well.

I would like to posit the idea of the following party cabinet:

- A Party Leader
- A Deputy Party Leader
- A House Leader
- A Deputy House Leader
- Party Whip

The Party Leader is our delegate-hopeful, House Leader is supposed to have the largest presence in the RA for the party, Party Whip is the person that keeps everyone in our party informed of votes going on.

All would have very important goals; I would esp. recommend having a Party Whip -- that would actually be a major benefit to joining a party.

Kingborough:
I don't think we need the deputies, but the other positions would work well.
I agree with this, at least until our member numbers have grown. I would also suggest in addition to Party Leader, RA Leader and Party Whip also a Party Chair to oversee internal party matters like membership applications, organizing and presiding over party meetings, etc.

Cool. Do we want to add this to our platform-thingy? Also, I'm interested in being Party Chair, or RA leader, though I think I'm more qualified for #1.

Cormac Stark:
Kingborough:
I don't think we need the deputies, but the other positions would work well.
I agree with this, at least until our member numbers have grown. I would also suggest in addition to Party Leader, RA Leader and Party Whip also a Party Chair to oversee internal party matters like membership applications, organizing and presiding over party meetings, etc.
Yes a Party Chair is a good idea.

And alright there's no need for deputies I guess.

Can someone who isn't (A) insane, (B) overtly duplicitous, (C) moderately authoritarian, (D) dedicated to a thoroughly vacuous platform please rise to run for delegate.

At this point its become a race between that Minister of Defense who is involved with most of our the scandals and wants the government to help people alienate minorities, that speaker who gets in bitch-fights over punctuation trailing votes, a lovable nutter and someone who seems to have to just woken up one day and decided to write their platform whilst still half-asleep and possibly drunk from the night before. I'll pretty much take any genuine alternative I can get here, none of them are really ringing "liberty" to me.

I meant the delegate race, not A.G.. you seem like a fine candidate for both. I see Tim is running now, this could have more promise. I'll have to read over his platform.

For whatever it's worth, I feel that the Liberty Party should know that I am endorsing Tim for Delegate. I will be copying this post into a private message to each member of the Liberty Party but I've decided to post it publicly as well in the interests of transparency.

Because of the abrupt recall of Eluvatar and the speed of the special election, the Liberty Party regrettably has not had time to iron out the details of primary elections and whether or not primaries should be binding. As a result we have two Liberty Party members on the ballot: Vice Delegate Tim and RA Speaker Kingborough. While both have made significant positive contributions to the region and should be proud of those contributions (and we along with them), only one candidate has the experience necessary to lead The North Pacific and has demonstrated in his own platform a consistent commitment to the Liberty Party platform. That candidate is Tim. While I have no doubt that Kingborough will do great things in TNP and may one day be Delegate, I don't believe that now is the right time. Moreover, his insistence on an unelected and unaccountable Minister of Defense directly contradicts this party's platform -- making the choice for those who support the platform very clear.

In regard to the other candidates, they too have made significant positive contributions to the region. Romanoffia has been an active, contributing North Pacifican longer than most folks here. Blue Wolf has served as Delegate in the past, as well as serving in other roles. McMasterdonia is our current Minister of Defense and our former Vice Delegate. While some may have more to offer than others, any one of them would likely make a strong leader and a good Delegate. That is also true of Tim, however, and what Tim has going for him that none of the other candidates have is a commitment to implement his own new ideas as well as the new ideas of a new party and to preserve the very best of the democratic reforms brought about by Eluvatar. If you believe in those democratic reforms and would like to see a new face with many new ideas to revitalize The North Pacific, you should vote for Tim -- and I urge all Liberty Party members and indeed all North Pacificans to do so.

Back