Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Mousebumples

Biomedical Recipient Rights:
Description: THE WORLD ASSEMBLY:

UNDERSTANDS the importance in assuring and protecting the rights of individuals receiving medical treatments.

SPECIFIES that “biomedical tissues” shall include, at minimum, the following:

1. Blood and blood products, such as platelets and plasma.
  2. Organs, such as the kidneys, liver, and heart.
  3. Stem cells, such as embryonic stem cells, those found in the bone marrow and the umbilical cord, and other adult stem cells.
DETAILS that "biomedical procedures" shall include, at minimum the donation, harvesting, transplantation, or transfusion of biomedical tissues.
DECLARES that prospective recipients of biomedical tissues shall not be discriminated against without a valid medical rationale, such as blood and tissue typing or the presence of a dangerous contagion.

REQUIRES that the process for biomedical procedures shall involve:
  1. Ensuring that the recipient is healthy enough to undergo the procedure.
  2. Techniques that are as humane as is practicable using appropriate sterile technique for the procedure in question.
  3. Testing and typing of the recipient in order to minimize negative transfusion reactions and biomedical tissue rejection.
MANDATES that prospective recipients shall be given all medically relevant facts regarding the biomedical procedure(s) and tissue(s) they are to receive prior to obtaining their uncoerced, informed consent.
  1. A legally completed advance health care directive (e.g. living will) shall be followed in order to respect the wishes of the individual in question.
  2. In the absence of a legally completed advance health care directive, WA member nations may permit an individual's legal guardian or next-of-kin to provide uncoerced, informed consent on behalf of a recipient in the event that the individual in question is under the threshold of majority or is otherwise unable to understand the information in question.
INSTRUCTS the World Health Authority to allocate an appropriate portion of their budget to assist with providing preventative and other necessary treatments with regards to biomedical treatments in nations that are otherwise unable to afford them.
ALLOWS for WA member nations and their health care systems to triage prospective recipients based on geographic location, if the biomedical tissue in question may decrease in quality during the transport process, and other medically relevant factors (e.g. medical need).

PERMITS individual WA member nations and their health care systems to delay or defer a recipient's biomedical procedure(s) due to a co-existing medical condition, which may place the treatment tissues at risk of rejection or infection.
  1. If such a medical condition exists, all reasonable attempts shall be made at treatment so as to allow the transplant to occur.
  2. WA member nations may elect to match donors and recipients based on such a medical condition in the event of biomedical tissue shortages, if such a match is determined to be in the best medical interests of the recipient.

Mousebumples:
Hey, Eluvatar! I finally got 3 of my organ and stem cell replacements submitted. Yay! :) As a refresher, they are:

1. Biomedical Donor Rights is a human rights resolution, which will protect those (often) altruistic individuals within our nations who are willing to donate their blood, organs, or stem cells for the benefit of others. The forum thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=198807
  2. Biomedical Recipient Rights is another human rights resolution, which will protect those who are medically in need. Its clauses work to make transplants and transfusions as safe and successful as possible. The forum thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=198808
  3. Biomedical Innovation Organization is an educational resolution, which will help to foster further developments and innovations in this arena. It will also provide educational programs for member nations, which should work to increase citizen knowledge about the donation process and increase the availability of biomedical tissues for medical procedures. The forum thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=193537
They’re all in a row on the first page of the GA proposals, if that helps you locate them in the proposal list.

Thanks (hopefully) for your support! :) Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. And, of course, I'll be lurking on the TNP boards, too, if anything comes up during the debate process there.
Mouse
For reference this proposal was discussed during drafting on this forum here.

Hey all! This one is at vote next (at the next minor, so in less than 3 hours), and I'd certainly appreciate your vote In Favor, if you'd be so kind.

As a recap, here's a quick list of what I view as the most important parts of the proposal in question:
  1. Prevents discrimination against those who are in need of a biomedical procedure.
  2. Practices to protect the health and well-being of the patient.
  3. Further assures rights of the recipient by requiring consent prior to any transplants or transfusions taking place.
  4. Creates the framework for nations to establish their own common-sense practices with regards to what their population needs when it comes to such procedure.
Thanks for your consideration!

GA Resolution at Vote: Biomedical Recipient Rights
http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6960222/

2 for (Eastern Hungry [NPA], mcmasterdonia [NPA]); 0 against; 1 abstain (Cormac Stark [NPA]); 0 present

To vote one must have a WA nation in TNP or be a member of NPA. I vote for if most of the votes are in for, and against if most of the votes are against. I don't count "present" votes as votes for this. This means that a vote for abstain is a vote against my voting either way.

Zemnaya Svoboda's vote for "Biomedical Recipient Rights" has been noted.

I will continue to vote and demand the delegate take into account all members of the region. To deny RA members, regardless of WA membership is a violation of the Bill of Rights.

For.

punk d:
I'm ignoring the delegate's executive policy and voting here.

Nay
-
madjack:
I will continue to vote and demand the delegate take into account all members of the region. To deny RA members, regardless of WA membership is a violation of the Bill of Rights.

For.
-
Detbyron:
Nay
(Against)
God n country n byron
Lady Morgana:
Jamie Anumia

2 for (Eastern Hungry [NPA], mcmasterdonia [NPA]);
2 against (God n country n byron, Jamie Anumia);
1 abstain (Cormac Stark [NPA]);
0 present

To vote one must have a WA nation in TNP or be a member of NPA. I vote for if most of the votes are in for, and against if most of the votes are against. I don't count "present" votes as votes for this. This means that a vote for abstain is a vote against my voting either way.

Zemnaya Svoboda's vote on "Biomedical Recipient Rights" has been withdrawn.

punk d:

Nay
-
madjack:

For.
-
Detbyron:
Nay
(Against)
God n country n byron
Lady Morgana:
Jamie Anumia
Kingborough:
Aye, for.
Kingborough II [NPA]

3 for (Eastern Hungry [NPA], mcmasterdonia [NPA], Kingborough II [NPA]);
1 against (God n country n byron);
1 abstain (Cormac Stark [NPA]);
0 present

Zemnaya Svoboda's vote for "Biomedical Recipient Rights" has been noted.

WA Nation: Classified
Vote: Abstain

I abstain in protest of the lack of willingness to compromise on TNP WA voting policy.

punk d:

Nay
-
madjack:

For.
-
Detbyron:
Nay
(Against)
God n country n byron
Lady Morgana:
Jamie Anumia
Kingborough:
Aye, for.
Kingborough II [NPA]
Chasmanthe:
WA Nation: Classified
Vote: Abstain

I abstain in protest of the lack of willingness to compromise on TNP WA voting policy.
Chasmanthe [NPA]

3 for (Eastern Hungry [NPA], mcmasterdonia [NPA], Kingborough II [NPA]);
1 against (God n country n byron);
2 abstain (Cormac Stark [NPA], Chasmanthe [NPA]);
0 present

Zemnaya Svoboda's vote on "Biomedical Recipient Rights" has been withdrawn.

The General Assembly resolution Biomedical Recipient Rights was passed 8,682 votes to 1,020, and implemented in all WA member nations.

(I did not vote).

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back