Blog

I slipped on the ice and hit my head on the pavement today; it made me feel drunk, or maybe like I was on an acid trip. Or maybe high. Or maybe a mix of all three. It was my fourth consecutive day of feeling either drunk or hungover or some combination thereof.

I have a written offer to sell me a $16k vehicle for $11k. Haggled $5k off the price, and no it was not marked up (according to the blue book and NADA at least). I've gotten a minimum of $2k off the price of each German car I've looked at.

The no-haggle dealership on the other hand expected me to pay $11k as well for a vehicle that was valued at... $11k. Obviously the previous deal was far superior, indicating that "low-pressure" dealerships are full of crap. :P

People are desperate to sell cars, especially luxury cars, in this economy.

I have a written offer to sell me a $16k vehicle for $11k. Haggled $5k off the price, and no it was not marked up (according to the blue book and NADA at least). I've gotten a minimum of $2k off the price of each German car I've looked at.

The no-haggle dealership on the other hand expected me to pay $11k as well for a vehicle that was valued at... $11k. Obviously the previous deal was far superior, indicating that "low-pressure" dealerships are full of crap. :P

People are desperate to sell cars, especially luxury cars, in this economy.
Actually, this is not exactly accurate.

The only cars that are not "distressed" at present are luxury cars, especially German ones. Niche cars are still niche cars in a bad economy. Those that could pay for them before the credit issues can still pay for them now for the most part.

I would ask if the $11k car you negotiated for was the same make and model as the $11k car at the no-hassle lot. If so then you actually proved the value and point (although I personally disagree) of the no-hassle process. You had to haggle to get down to $11k at one place but walked in off the street and automatically got $11k at the other. If they are comparable vehicles then that is exactly what they want to have happen when you visit a no-hassle lot.

Back