Embassy of The East Pacific

As current delegate-elect of TEP, and currently the only one in the foreign affairs ministry for the region (appointees will be named soon), I am seeking improved relations with TNP. In short, I'd like to begin preliminary talks with a multi-regional alliance which allows for players of member regions to get involved with other member region affairs and crowds in an effort to spark more activity.

I have decided to speak to this region first as a test, to see if my idea holds water. I'd like to begin discussions on this in a separate thread, but I wanted to first propose it in our embassy thread. I do believe this would benefit NS as a whole, and while I have been known for my energy and fervor, I'd like to ensure all that I wish to work together to build better bonds between the feeders and select regions, rather than move us farther apart.

Have you considered the Azure Alliance? :P

The current members are:

TNP
TSP
The Pacific
Taijitu

And I'm sure Azure would love to welcome TEP into the fold....

I am shamelessly promoting Azure while Eluvatar, the President of Azure, is away.

I'm not sure if I'm looking for an alliance, but I will consider the AA. I'm looking for a more hard-lined commitment for activity and interaction between the feeders and larger userite regions. It's all abstract thought right now, nothing definite, but I want to begin talks. I think if we just had more bonds between each other, community wise, it would bring us closer.

Oh yeah, furthermore, please feel free to open up the embassy again. Apparently the empire tried to shut it down, but that doesn't work work for me. Something along the lines of their love of regression.... I want progression, if you ask me.

In light of re-formatting The East Pacific's Embassy Row, sub forums have been created for our existing and future embassies. We feel that since The East Pacific is now stable and secure under its new and friendly government, we can begin work on other things, such as establishing a newspaper and strengthening connections between regions.

The North Pacific's embassy is now located here.

Happy updating!

tepbannerwu7.png

The East Pacific Newspaper
Volume One, Issue One

From the Desk of The Delegate
by Todd McCloud

Salutations and good day, fellow region-goers!

Well, it has been approximately one month since our government had settled down and adjusted to the dramatic changes in our region. For one, we have a completely different Magisterium, which is the equivalent of our Senate. It has handled resolutions well and steadily, despite having a busy and often debate-filled tenure thus far. Elections for another term is only two months away, so it's a good time to get started and staking your claim in an official feeder position! Our Conclave, or judges, have held their own and stood by in case they are needed to add things to our Concordat, the body of laws governing our fair region.

As for the executive branch, well, that would be me and our Viziers holding down that branch. After an uncanny acceptance ceremony, I've kept the region safe, making sure we're secure from invasions. I've also created a number of topics for the region to debate on the RMB via the WFE, keeping spam off the board and nations active. Overall, it's a hard job, especially for someone who has never served as a feeder delegate before. But it has been a job well done keeping the place active and exciting. After all, we are the most energetic region in the game, and have grown the most in the past month as far as regions are concerned, with a gain of 200-250 nations depending on before or after update. Our recent extension outward to other regions via creating embassies has really helped get us noticed as well! And don't forget, I currently am the most endorsed nation in the game, which really helps us with our busy World Assembly voting subforum!

The Roleplaying Area is active as ever, and very exciting. We're having crazy dramatic college life RPs, have been on the brink of war and back, have nail-biting diplomatic tensions, and of course, are currently holding a fancy ball. It's quite active, and a good deterrent to work. I can hear it now... "Honey! You need to drive the kids to school!" "Not now, dang it! Vekaiyu is threatening to fire off missiles and my Shiro character is having relations with a robot!" Well, it might not be that extreme, but you get my point.

Most important, we're all working hard and working together. I am grateful for the region and its ability to come together and make the place a fun, exciting, and safe NS community once again. It's truly a testament to the great minds of the collective NationStates world, specifically, the minds of The East Pacific! We've come such a long way, and can only look up!

Yours in nation play,

Todd McCloud

((by the way, quiz at the end of the newspaper! Be sure to read up on that for fabulous non-cash prizes!))

From Phedre to Now -- An Historical Fable
by A Slanted Black Stripe

The nation of A Slanted Black Stripe (ASBS) consists of a pair of islands on the far eastern edge of The East Pacific. One of those islands is a tourist paradise – white sand beaches, tropical breezes, turquoise waters, and the best Mai Tais in the region.

On the eastern side of the island, among the many tourist beaches, is one small beach visited only by the natives. No one swims on this beach – deadly riptides. A small bungalow with a hammock strung across the porch sits on the edge of the sand. There’s an old teak chair out on the beach, facing east, across the ocean. The natives call it, “Delegate’s Beach.”

beachhousehammock.jpg

The natives of ASBS are thin, tan, and rarely live beyond the age of 50.The genetic dice are loaded against them. But the man who lives alone on Delegate’s Beach is old, with long gray hair, and wrinkled, sun-damaged skin. A few of the natives know his real name is Francisco, but they all call him, “Mr. Delegate.” This is his story …

As a young man, Francisco studied history and geography. While his friends and classmates flattered the tourists, Francisco asked about the interactions of the other nations in The East Pacific. He drew maps and plotted trade routes. He learned the political alliances and saw the fear in the eyes of many tourists when they spoke of a dark force growing in the west.

He heard tales of great battles fought by the nations of 1 Infinite Loop and Gnidrah. And how Gnidrah had fallen from glory…

One day, a flotilla of ships, filled with dark-robed soldiers, flying a flag with three interlocking crescents (not dissimilar from the biohazard symbol familiar to all ASBS natives), and powered by solid black sails, appeared in the harbor. The soldiers disembarked and herded the tourists and natives into the town square.

lady_phedre__1.gif
biohazard.jpg

A scarlet robed figure read from a scroll, “I hereby announce the rise of The Empire and the cleansing of The East Pacific. We have freed The East Pacific from her chains of inequity. The East Pacific has been purified; it is now the seat of power for The Empress and the Empire. Under the command of the Empress, the Lady Phedre, our Legions shall stalk victoriously into the world and remove the filth that covers it - The Empire shall bring order to all! The Empress Phedre is forgiving; she understands you have stood in sin unknowing until this point. Any may come and swear to her banner, she will welcome you. You may sink to your knees and beg the Empress for mercy.”

When no one sank to their knees, the soldiers beat the natives and tourists with clubs. Then they set the buildings on fire and sank all the ships in the harbor. Having completed their destruction, they sailed away.

Francisco missed the Empire’s display of force. He had taken a group of tourists out to a snorkel spot aboard his small catamaran, The Stripe. When he returned, the local officials confiscated his boat and used it to warn neighboring islands of Lady Phedre’s flotilla. Francisco jumped into the rebuilding effort. It took many years, but the island was finally restored to its pre-invasion style.

catamaran_charter.jpg

Indeed, the island was stronger now. The lessons learned from the invasion had resulted in an unprecedented defense program. What appeared to be a harmless tourist island was now one of the heaviest armed fortresses in the region.

Francisco had outlived his friends. They had either succumbed to injuries sustained during the Empire attack, or died from one of the many genetic defects present in the islanders.

For years, ASBS had devoted most of the island’s resources to solving these genetic challenges. Francisco was longer lived than most and the geneticists had harvested and studied his DNA. He was resistant to all of the diseases, but he was sterile. The commercial guild, responsible for generating revenue from visitors, did not want him working with the tourists. ASBS had a reputation for being young, tan, and athletic. An older gentleman did not fit with the marketing message.

His catamaran, The Stripe, was still seaworthy. He asked and received permission to go and collect information on the power of the Empire.

Francisco’s first stop was the nation of Stagnationstan. The people were openly hostile to Lady Phedre and the Empire. Francisco asked them to lead a new coalition against the Empire, but they refused. He asked if they would fly the flag of ASBS, alongside their own, as a show of solidarity against the Empire. They agreed and sent Francisco to other nations hostile to Lady Phedre.

Francisco visited Aldemeiris, Atlantis Capitol, and Kelssek. All refused to fly Phedre’s flag, agreed to fly the ASBS flag, but would not lead a new coalition.

Francisco was undeterred. He would find a new leader for the region.

One night, as he was sailing between nations, the horizon erupted in flames. All night long, the sky was lit with orange explosions. When dawn broke, the sky was dull and filled with smoke. Francisco arrived at a port, filled with the wrecks of great ships. A lone, grey-cloaked figure stood on the dock.

nuclear-explosion.jpg

Francisco asked, “What happened? It looked like 50 nations were being destroyed last night.”

The figure responded, “More like 200 nations.”

“Was it Phedre?”

“Yes. Now what are you going to do about it?” The grey-cloaked man pointed out to sea. “It looks like you might have some help. You may not have to do this alone.” With that, he waved his arms and disappeared in a cobalt-colored cloud.

Francisco looked out to sea and another small catamaran sailed into the port. It flew the flag of Dannistaan. The pilot hailed Francisco and said, “I’ve been following you. We may be more effective if we work together. “

So, they agreed on a plan. They would sail to all the nations of The East Pacific and ask them to fly both the ASBS flag and the Dannistaan flag. They would ask the nations to renounce any allegiance to Lady Phedre and the Empire.

One night, as Francisco was sailing between nations, through a dense fog, another ship pulled along The Stripe and hailed him. “We want to help you, but first we must test you.”

fogship.jpg

Francisco peered through the fog and saw two individuals, the grey-cloaked man and a lady of the Empire. “Who are you?”

“I am Lady Edea and I can no longer support the Empire. And this is Kandarin. I believe you have already met him.”

For the next four hours, they tested Francisco on his knowledge of The East Pacific, the Empire, and the alliances that existed between nations. They gave him suggestions and advice for convincing the nations of the region to abandon their support of the Empire. At the end of the test, Francisco knew he still had a long journey ahead.

Months later, Francisco had visited over 300 nations. Almost 100 were now flying the ASBS flag without the Phedre flag. Phedre still had over 100 nations supporting the Empire. And many nations refused to support ASBS, Dannistaan, or Lady Phedre.

Once again, in the middle of the night, the sky erupted in orange flames. This time, it was all around Francisco. Some of the nations he had just visited were burning. He sailed for the nearest shore.

Kandarin stood on the dock. “The Empire has self-destructed. And they’ve destroyed a lot of nations at the same time.” He slowly shook his head. “You need to go to the Capital District and take control.”

“Me? I’ve done all that I came to do.” Francisco waved away Kandarin’s comments.

“If you leave now, it will end in chaos. Is that what you want?” Kandarin grabbed Francisco by the shoulders and shook him. “Go to the Capital. Ask for Loop. He’ll help you. And others will come.”

Francisco went to the Capitol and others did come to help. Francisco called for a new constitution and elections. Free Pacific States, Bolshikstan, Warre, and a young upstart named Todd McCloud were among those who arrived. Loop was there. And Kandarin regularly materialized in clouds of multicolored smoke.

After months of haggling, a new Concordat for The East Pacific was approved. Todd McCloud was elected the new delegate of the region.

Todd and Francisco stood on the balcony of the Delegate’s tower and looked east across the huge inner sea of The East Pacific. Francisco said, “It’s time for me to go back.”

balconybeach.jpg

“But you told me your family is all dead.”

Francisco looked down at the beach. “I know, but it’s my home.” Then he smiled. “Besides, you need someone to watch the eastern border.”

Todd held out his hand. “I do. Thanks.”

Francisco shook Todd’s hand. “I’ll be watching you, too, Todd. I won’t let this happen again.”

Roleplaying News
by Warr

It's well known through much of the regions of Nationstates that TEP is a very Rper friendly region, and many doubt this, but it's clear to anyone who might watch the RP section that though it might be a bit confusing, it isn't. It's friendly, and it's also very vibrant. At this current moment, there are roughly four threads being actively posted in, with at least two threads being posted in multiple times daily.

These threads, though similar in some ways, are distinct, and there are tons of possibilities for Roleplays!

Raven's Nest- In this role play, there's a movement of troops and political stances, as Dannistaan begins to revoke it's troops from Trysis, and Drakkengard begins to move peacekeeping troops in to replaced Dannistaan's troops. Also featured are the testing of an experimental new AC (That's a type of Mecha Dannistaan and Drakkengard use), by both countries.

The Reaper's Toll- A thread that's only just begun, which chronicles the situation in Xiopothos, as it's blockaded by Kandarinese Naval forces. From what's been said, and seen, this thread is a horror/adventure thread, and there are several scary things running about.

Some which might even make a certain elder squid beast shiver.

City of Fallen Angel's- A roleplay chronicling the story of For'af, East Dannistaan, and the riots within it. Open to anyone who wishes to partake, from what Dannistaan's said.

Kelssekian Alliance-int'l cultural organization- A roleplay/description of an organization that's there to spread Kelssek culture to any nation which wishes to partake within it.

An Event of Historic Uninmportance- A roleplay which's name is diminutive of itself, the RP's purpose is to tell the story of the newest president of the Free Pacific States' inauguration.

Finally, perhaps one of the most popular Rps as of current;

Riots in Listonia- A role play which has as so far allowed any player in TEP who wishes to participate may participate. This Roleplay's name is a simple moniker which deals with the subject matter, Riots in the territories which make up the old Vulpine region of Listonia, neighboring Vekaiyu. Genocide, missle explosions, and occupations have all taken place in this RP, so far. As of current, occupation/zombie hunting is going on by some in a nation north of Vekaiyu, while an international peace summit goes on in Neorivins, Kelssek.

Want an Embassy in TEP?
With the coming (and going) of the empire, and the emergence of a stable and successful government, The East Pacific is looking to get more connected on an NS-worldly spectrum. We would be honored if your region would consider setting up an embassy on our forum. Here's how it works:

Go to this forum here, and post a message with the topic title being your region's name. In that topic, please include your region's name, a link to your forums, approximate number of nations in your region (optional), and a potential ambassador (this may be changed - we understand selecting ambassadors may take time).

We will then review your request shortly. Once the request has been reviewed and passed, a sub-forum will be created for your region's representation and news. The address will be posted as a reply in this thread, and your ambassador may begin posting immediately!

Also, here is the link to TEP's main forum index page.

Good luck!

The Quiz

You've made it this far! Amazing! As promised, we have a small quiz for you, open to regions which have established an embassy on our forums *and* have a The East Pacific embassy on their forums! The prize for answering the questions correctly? The first two nations to correctly post the right answers here will have their choice of either their name or the name of their region featured on the World Factbook Entry (userite regions only, in this case) for twenty=four hours!

Here's the questions. HINT: to find the answers, click links in my delegate letter.

Quiz One
  • What did I have to swear on in my inauguration for the delegate seat? (Hint: two words, and think absorbency!)
  • What vizier was elected to the post, but declined the position?
  • What 'region' in roleplay is currently being fought over in TEP by nations like Vekaiyu and Drakkengard?
  • Who are the three members of TEP's Conclave?
Good Luck!

© 2009 The East Pacific News Services

Don't u just love Google!!

The Dvorak Simplified Keyboard (pronounced /?dv?ræk/ or /?dvoræk/) is a keyboard layout patented in 1936 by August Dvorak, an educational psychologist and professor of education,[1] at the University of Washington in Seattle[2] and William Dealey. It has also been called the Simplified Keyboard or American Simplified Keyboard but is commonly known as the Dvorak keyboard or Dvorak layout

Changes in The East Pacific

Get ready! We're kicking off the summer with a few tricks up our sleeves, and invite you to get involved in the fun!

First up is our "What if" Forum, which explores the various what-ifs and plays out different scenarios in and across NationStates. What if Max Barry had been Austrian and not Australian? What if The Rejected Realms could ban someone? What if a userite region was selected to become a feeder? Exciting debates are sure to follow!

Next, we plan to host a NationStates Debate Contest. That's right, a debate contest! We're looking to get competitors from all walks of NS life - not just from our beautiful region! Please, show us your stuff, get acclimated and sign up! We're accepting sign-ups and will continue to do so until a pre-determined date (which is stated in the post!), so be sure to sign up and reserve your spot for the battle of the wits!

Finally, we have something special planned for NSers - the very first NationStates Hall of Fame. We are currently in the process of creating a committee of judges to determine HOF eligibility, and are tentatively planning to hold the ceremony some time in mid-June. It promises to be thrilling and exciting! Speakers for each inductee will be personally asked to speak on the inductee's behalf, and those selected will be forever seated in the Hallowed Halls of the NS HOF!

I personally hope to see you in all events in this early "Summer of NationStates", and can't wait to see you join the excitement. Good luck!

- Todd McCloud

Also the EP has a policical Party now, as I have opened the EP SILLY party to membership and all that .

fc48c842.jpg

Image courtesy of Emperor Matthius, paper written by Todd McCloud and Dyr Nasad, edited by YaM

From the Desk of the Delegate

Hello region-goers, userites, feederites, politicians, and random passer-bys! I wish to welcome you to a second installment of The East Pacific's Monthly Newspaper. Yes, we've only had two editions, but the latter Spring months are always hectic - much work, research, and examinations across the board.

Exciting events are once again occurring in our fair region. We have decided to revamp our debate contest and co-host it with the region Equilism. The deadline to signup is the 15th of June, so be certain to sign up on the forums, get ready for some fun, and above all, work things out like any other homicidal-leaning philosopher would. After all, it's only natural we debate, and it's only unnatural to let your talents go to waste!

We're enjoying our second term for the Magisterium, in which the members seem to be moving along fluidly. We're also enjoying the presence of our newest arbiter. And imagine that - it's all quarrel-free - we actually get along and the likes! Communities can be remarkable from time to time, and The East Pacific is no different.

We have also established new aspects to our forums. Our newest section, University of The East Pacific will host player histories, region histories, and guides to the game. But we have more to offer - our What If Forum tries to answer what could have been if NS had changed or was different. That has ushered in our debate forum, which should be good for the contest we'll be co-hosting!

Finally, for the roleplaying section, we're currently hashing out foreign policies, dealing with a demonic presence, and enjoying a return to the medieval world. It promises to be fun!

Well, that's it for now. Thank you for your time, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the issue!

- Todd McCloud

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Halls of the Magisterium
By Dyr Nasad, Provost Pro Tempore

Greetings from the Magisterium of The East Pacific. We've had some changes and made great progress since the previous edition of this paper. First, we have a new Magisterium. Here is the new member list and votes for/against:
12-1 Antracia
8-5 Anur-Sanur
10-2 Bolshikstan
12-1 Dyr Nasad
11-2 Cloudous
10-2 Infinite Loop
13-0 Kelssek
11-2 Lowbrook
12-0 Warr
11-1 YaM
Everyone who ran for the office was elected. Some of the citizens of TEP, however, did have some issues with the way that Infinite Loop acted during his campaign. In order to make ammends, he immediately resigned from the office.

Here are the results of the votes on various proposals:

Provost
Warr was elected as Provost and Dyr Nasad was elected Provost Pro Tempore through a power sharing deal. There was a tied vote, and, at the time, there was no way to deal with such a situation.
Warr-4 votes
Dyr Nasad-4 votes

Law Regarding Tied Votes in the Magisterium
This law passed with 6 votes FOR, 1 vote AGAINST, and 2 did not vote. This law, created by Dyr Nasad and Warr, states that, it the event of a tie in the Magisterium, the proposal will be brought to the general populace in a referendum. If the citizens' votes are still tied, then the casting vote will be given to the Conclave, the court of TEP which always has an odd number of members.

Appointment of DFD as Arbiter
This motion passed with 7 votes FOR, 0 AGAINST, and 2 did not vote. The Conclave must always have an even number of members, and Arbiters cannot run/hold the positions of Magister or Delegate simultaneously. Infinite Loop gave up is position as Arbiter when he ran for the Magisterium. DFD said that she was willing to take his place. After a minor incident concerning DFD's past in the Empire, she easily passed the Magisterium. Good luck DFD!

Amendments to Standing Orders
This motion passed with 7 votes FOR, 0 AGAINST, and 2 did not vote. This ammendment, created by Kelssek, made a few minor, but needed, changes. This allowed the Provost the choice of appointing a Provost Pro Tempore only if he/she believed that he/she needed help (previously, the Provost had to appoint a deputy) In addition, it slightly changed the voting process. Previously, a vote only required two motions. Now the Provost must sign off on any vote.

Office of Tourism and Recruitment
This motion passed with 7 votes FOR, 0 AGAINST, and 2 did not vote (anyone else seeing a pattern?). This proposal, created by Dyr Nasad and Infinite Loop, presented the idea that the Office of Tourism and Recruitment should be created. This was created primarily because TEP sees a constant outflux of nations into other regions, and it wishes to retain all the nations that it can. The Director of the Office of Tourism is an appointee of the Delegate, and can choose deputies as he/she sees fit. The first ever head of this office, titled the Officer of Tourism, is Dyr Nasad. Good luck to Dyr Nasad! (yes, I'm wishing myself luck)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Office of the WA Liason
By Dyr Nasad, on behalf of Drakkengard, WA Liason

Here is a list of how The East Pacific voted on the various WA Resolutions since the previous issue of this newspaper.

The Right to a Lawful Divorce
TEP voted AGAINST with 1 vote FOR and 6 votes AGAINST. The prevailing opinion AGAINST was that divorce was not an issue that the WA should be involved in. Decision: The resolution The Right to a Lawful Divorce was passed 2,833 votes to 1,807, and implemented in all WA member nations.

The Landmine Convention
TEP voted FOR with 7 votes FOR and 4 votes AGAINST. The prevailing opinion FOR was that landmines injure too many civilians. Decision: The resolution The Landmine Convention was passed 2,766 votes to 1,405, and implemented in all WA member nations.

Repeal "Nuclear Arms Possession Act"
TEP voted AGAINST with 1 vote FOR and 9 votes AGAINST. The prevailing opinion AGAINST was that the Nuclear Arms Possession Act only gives WA nations the right to possess nuclear weaponry. If this was repealed, then non-WA nations would have a distinct advantage when fighting a WA nation. Decision: The resolution "Repeal "Nuclear Arms Possession Act"" was defeated 2,758 votes to 2,373.

Access to Life-Saving Drugs
TEP voted AGAINST with 1 vote FOR and 5 votes AGAINST. The prevailing opinions AGAINST were that it was awkwardly written and that it was anti-capitalist. Decision: The resolution Access to Life-Saving Drugs was passed 3,269 votes to 1,183, and implemented in all WA member nations.

WA Environmental Council
TEP voted AGAINST with 0 votes FOR and 5 votes AGAINST. The prevailing opinions AGAINST were that this resolution was too weakly worded and that it had prematurely blamed industry for environmental issues. Decision: The resolution WA Environmental Council was passed 2,832 votes to 1,390, and implemented in all WA member nations.

WA Labor Relations Act
TEP voted AGAINST with 3 votes FOR and 4 votes AGAINST. The prevailing opinions AGAINST were that this issue was not the WA's responsibilty and that it harmed WA nations' economies. Decision: The resolution WA Labor Relations Act was passed 2,682 votes to 1,661, and implemented in all WA member nations.

Reduction of Abortion Act
TEP voted FOR with 6 votes FOR and 1 vote AGAINST. The prevailing opinion FOR was that most nations couldn't find faults in the resolution. Decision: The resolution Reduction of Abortion Act was passed 3,166 votes to 1,516, and implemented in all WA member nations.

Repeal "World Assembly Economic Union"
TEP voted AGAINST with 0 votes FOR and 5 votes AGAINST. The prevailing opinion AGAINST was that isolationist policies hurt everyone. Decision: The resolution Repeal "World Assembly Economic Union" was passed 2,963 votes to 1,204.

Right of Emigration
TEP voted AGAINST with 3 votes FOR and 6 votes AGAINST. The prevailing opinion AGAINST was that the resolution was written very badly. Additionally, almost every nation found something wrong that the other nations didn't notice. Decision: The resolution Right of Emigration was passed 3,011 votes to 1,673, and implemented in all WA member nations.

Law of the Sea
TEP voted AGAINST with 2 votes FOR and 7 votes AGAINST. The prevailing opinion AGAINST was that the resolution tried to enforce the WA's will on non-WA nations. Decision: The resolution Law of the Sea was passed 3,348 votes to 1,065, and implemented in all WA member nations.

New Members of TEP's Forum
By Dyr Nasad

Here is a list of the new nations on TEP's forum.

name, (post count)

Magisters

Dyr Nasad (792), YaM (779), lowbrook (25)

Citizens

ultharambassadorbarbara (128), Tokka Wokka (5), Powerhungry Chipmunks (3), Imstar (1)

Members

President John Henry Eden (29), Andromeda Islands (27), Fiona Somerset (9), Neasmyrna (8), Carami (7), TripleKo (6), Expansive Esophagus (6), KillJoy Grey (5)

Spartzerina (2), Kekova (2), Most Great Britannia (2), kareybarey (2), Drock Borien (2)

Jahka (1), East Islington (1), Pacificstania (1), Pershall (1), Kazaman (1)

PROA (0), brillen (0), comunnism (0), Fluffy Black Cats (0), Napam (0), Brook Grey (0), kiket (0), Meckra'sFinest (0)

The Quiz
By Dyr Nasad

You've made it this far! Amazing! As promised, we have a small quiz for you, open to regions which have established an embassy on our forums *and* have a TEP embassy on their forums! The prize for answering the questions correctly? The first two nations to correctly post the right answers here will have their choice of either their name or the name of their region featured on the World Factbook Entry for twenty four hours!

Quiz Two
Who is the newest member of TEP's Conclave?
Which Magister was elected, but declined the position?
In RP, which nation is allowing other players to enter his country and meddle with his politics?
Which two regions are hosting the NS Debate Contest?

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Want an Embassy in TEP?

With the emergence of a stable and successful government, The East Pacific is looking to get more connected on an NS-worldly spectrum. We would be honored if your region would consider setting up an embassy on our forum. Here's how it works:

Go to this forum here, and post a message with the topic title being your region's name. In that topic, please include your region's name, a link to your forums, approximate number of nations in your region (optional), and a potential ambassador (this may be changed - we understand selecting ambassadors may take time).

We will then review your request shortly. Once the request has been reviewed and passed, a sub-forum will be created for your region's representation and news. The address will be posted as a reply in this thread, and your ambassador may begin posting immediately!

http://www.theeastpacific.com

Good luck!

In a display of inter-region collaboration, The East Pacific and Equilism are co-hosting the 2009 Summer Debate Contest. The event will take place on *both* forums, and promises to be a fun and organized event, and you can sign up for it by following the link below!

The premise is simple. Two people will be selected at random to debate a particular subject. They will each be told which side to take (for or against). Consideration will be given to difficult stances. Judges will be appointed (myself included), excluding them from contest play. Judges will create some type of rubric by which they grade the participants and their debating skill for the particular debate in question.

The basic setup for the debate is as follows:
Opening by Team A.
Opening by Team B. Followed by:
Counterarguments of Team B on team As opening.
Counterarguments of Team A on team Bs opening.
Another round of countering each other.
-End of debate-

Those who go on to win a particular debate will face a new debate with another announced stance the participants are to take. Winner is the person who wins the final debate.

Prizes (kind of what I have going in my signature) will be awarded to the fourth, third, second, and first place debaters. I hope that this turns out well, and more details will be given out as they are ironed out.

Sign up for the debate contest here! - please do this as soon as you can, so I know to include you in all the updates!

fc48c842.jpg

Volume One, Issue Three

From the Desk of The Delegate
by Todd McCloud

TC_FrowningDoctor-small.gif

Greetings, fellow NSers. And now this!

Simply put, The East Pacific is all about democracy, all about moving and keeping things exciting. We've just finished our third Magisterium elections, of which we've received a whole different batch of governmental people, doing governmental things, I'd suppose, though I'd imagine less of the common ones, like lying and the likes. After all, the definition of a politician is as follows: promises the people anything, gives them nothing, then takes everything. Well, I guess that makes them uncharacteristic politicians, which is a good thing.

But politics isn't necessarily our forte. Our forte happens to be roleplaying. You may or may not have known that. We've actually been cleaning up our roleplay section to make it easier for newer folks to get involved, work with the region, unleash their zombie armies, etc. Well, maybe not the last bit, but we're a pretty free and flexible bunch. So bring us your tired, your overworked and under appreciated, etc etc and get started right here.

FANTABULOUS_by_DopeWoozl2.png
(The delegate after a moment of 'great success')
And, on a personal note, I've just reached my 200th consecutive day in office! I guess that counts for something, perhaps. Thankfully, the region has been quite healthy over those two hundred days! Here's to more successes!

That is pretty much it. Until the next issue!
- Todd McCloud

The Minute in Roleplay
By Lazlow
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! Our theater is proud to present the following new motion pictures:

The Second Listonian Crisis, a stunning sequel of the first one, which ended in the creation of Listonia, a new state with a majority population of antropomorphic foxes. Now the tyrannic ruler of Listonia, Stapen Evesuni, has aquired nuclear weapons from his close ally, Vekiayu, to further his own political ambitions. Meanwhile spies from Lazlowia try to somehow stop this whole thing. Exploding from the headlines of today to the silver screen, a tale of adventure, intrigue and action!
In Metrocolor and Panavision. Released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

The International Sealab, a combined project of the nations of the East Pacific has finally opened and already an international group of researchers have started to work there. Explores the vast depths of the sea, where no man has set foot before.
In Technicolor and CinemaScope. Released by 20th Century-Fox Pictures.

Elections in Shivat. A country in political crisis. The events in Listonia have caused the goverment to mobilize the army, but this resulted in the collapse of the goverment. New elections have to be held, and the both sides have to face domestic and foreign problems.
In Eastmancolor and Techniscope. Released by Warner Bros.-Seven Arts Pictures.

Shiro Academy, also know as The Todd McCloud-Der Fuhrer Dyszel-Kandarin Show, the long running college drama has yet reached another season.
In Colour. Released by Universal.

Again in the cinemas by popular demand,The Omega Protocol and City of the Fallen Angels!

Currently in development hell, please be kind with them:

The foolish adventures of Jaap and Prongs, a story of two men in the country of Tingst.
Released by Herts-Lion International.

In Search of Dannistaan's Soul, a striking documentary about Dannistaan's past, present and future.

Pacificvision Song Contest 2009. No information... yet.

Magisterium Election Results!
by Dyr Nasad

The East Pacific just finished the elections for it's third Magisterium. There was some discussion about campaigning for the post, but everything was sorted out. Here are the results:

12-1 Antracia
10-6 Bolshikstan
16-0 Dyr Nasad
12-2 Inquirius
11-4 Kelssek
6-9 Lowbrook
15-0 Tingst
14-2 The Vacationer

From the Halls of the Magisterium
By Dyr Nasad, Provost

Second Quarter Magisterium

Treaty with Lazarus
Killer Kitty proposed this treaty to TEP several months ago. Dyr Nasad and Todd McCloud of TEP and DYP and VGS of Lazarus revised the treaty to fit the current needs of the regions. With 5 votes FOR and 2 votes AGAINST this treaty passed the Magisterium.

Restrictions on RMB Advertising
The Delegate decided that being banned from the region should be a punishment for spamming the RMB. Dyr Nasad created a rough draft of the restrictions which the Magisterium debated. With 5 votes FOR and 1 vote AGAINST the Magisterium passed these restrictions.

Third Quarter Magisterium

Provost Election
Dyr Nasad was the only candidate, and he was approved with 6 votes FOR.

Want an Embassy in TEP?
The East Pacific is looking to get more connected on an NS-worldly spectrum. We would be honored if your region would consider setting up an embassy on our forum. Here's how it works:

fc48c842.jpg

Volume One, Issue Four

by Todd McCloud

Hey, group!

From the Desk of The Delegate, Chairman Todd

Cascading like a stone across a glacier with bits of molasses speckled in between

Come, young grasshopper, and I will tell you the story of one of the greatest regions in the present time of NationStates. View, if you will, the tree. If it falls in the forest and no one is around, does it not whisper ‘Check out The East Pacific and make yourself known in the NS world’? Of course it does. What is the sound of one hand clapping? Simply put, the computer processing a reply to a post on The East Pacific forums, assuming one has a hard drive that is silent like the hunting hamster. Todd say man who walks sideways in an escalator is not going to Bangkok, but is going to TEP, because he only need TEP and it’s always on first floor.

Nah. Going a little too far. Backing up, moving to a different restore point. In all seriousness, our region has expanded from about 2,100 nations in mid-September to 2,800. We’ve grown to become the most populated feeder in the game, as well as arguably the most active and most exciting. Our debate contest has ended - the winner being Finavarra of the region Liberty Alliance placed first, with Naivetry of Equilism placing second and The Monkye also of Equilism placing third! Many congrats to those who participated and to those who have placed! And, to keep in tune with being the most democratic feeder in NationStates, our Magisterium has a new look, as we’ve survived another election and things look to be active once again in our hallowed halls. Our Halloween– organized by Der Fuhrer Dyszel - went well too. We featured a pumpkin carving contest, scary stories and http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/The_East...?showtopic=7236 ]a very interesting thread about oddities, which is still ongoing[/url]! And let’s not forget our roleplay, one of the most active roleplaying areas in the game, so of course we’re going to have some exciting moments there. Aha, our forums also got a facelift?!

But there’s one thing TEP excels in where others may fall. That’s not a strike on other regions, of course, but we are remarkably neutral in regards to our different nations and backgrounds. Here, raiders, defenders, and neutral parties alike get along well and work toward a common goal – for the betterment of the region. Old players will freely interact with newer players without giving it a second thought. Our various real-life backgrounds are mere footnotes to our interactions as well – here there is no removal of rights, free speech, or democracy as a whole. But we enjoy the balance as well. After all, as the Chinese say, if the furies are in balance, the standing is good. Or something like that.

And that’s it for now!
-Todd McCloud

Magisterium Elections!

It’s that time again – the selection of a Magisterium! Well, actually that time has *just* passed, but in case you missed the week long moment of sheer bliss, here is the spread as far as voting went:
10-2 Dalimbar
14-0 Dyr Nasad
8-3 H. Savaer
12-1 Infinite Loop
3-8 Jaybooker
6-7 Kurdazistan
6-8 Lazlow
10-1 Lyncaenia
2-9 Mayor McToilet
14-0 The Vacationer
12-1 Warr
And now for a lesson in TEP elections. We have no limit as to the number of people in the Magisterium; they only need to be elected by a majority of those who voted for him and her. By that definition, seven Magisters make up the new body. Much thanks goes out to those who participated, voted, and were elected to TEP’s forth Magisterium Session. May they stay active enough to fight the challenges ahead of them, from workings of the endorsement cap to hammering out our foreign policy. It should be a good show, so get your 3-D glasses and be certain to by an extra bucket of popcorn – there’s no intermission for this one!

A Minute in Roleplay

As we continue to grow, we begin to experience new and exciting challenges across TEP. But, one of the catalysts to a smooth transition of newer roleplayers learning the ropes, Der Fuhrer Dyszel has set up shop as a teacher of roleplaying and offering crash courses on the various workings of the sport. And yeah, I’ll be brave enough to call it a sport, well, a mental sport. One has to have a great imagination and excellent problem solving skills to be a good roleplayer, perhaps, and her courses are excellent exercises in such matters.

Oh no! It appears those Vekaiyuns are at it again by selling weapons of mass destruction to Listonia. But, as the conflict continues, more nations are getting involved – from Allegheny to Lazlowia to Kelssek to Shivat to Warre to Dannistaan… practically every nation is slowly being sucked into the quagmire created by the two vulpine-dominated states. But that’s not all – other instances exist in TEP, from elections in various nations to rebellions to diplomatic adventures – we’ve got them all it seems!

So what could we ask of you, nation which knows how to roleplay or might not know how to roleplay but wants to give it a shot? Like writing? Like to create and build, all the while solving problems and interacting with other players and nations? Want to get into something like that? Well, here’s my ticket to you: I cordially invite you to join TEP’s roleplay scene! Cost is free, and we offer amenities such as plots where you can place your nation on, diplomatic events your nation can get involved in, the ability to create your own national events, and top-rated assistance along the way! Just join the forums?, introduce yourself, request a plot on the map, and get involved! Remember, be bold and post often!

Humor
Because I have demanded it:
agent019.jpg

The movie was subsequently cancelled.
bachbagock.jpg

J.S. Bach-ba-gock
pbf246beeb.gif

Want an Embassy in TEP?
The East Pacific is looking to get more connected on an NS-worldly spectrum. We currently have 44 active embassies, and would be honored if your region would consider setting up an embassy on our forum. Here's how it works:

Go to the forum here, and post a message with the topic title being your region's name. In that topic, please include your region's name, a link to your forums, approximate number of nations in your region (optional), and a potential ambassador (this may be changed - we understand selecting ambassadors may take time).

Until we meet again

fc48c842.jpg

Volume One, Issue Five

by Todd McCloud

Hey, group!

From the Desk of The Delegate, Chairman Todd

I’m like a polymer chain: flexible and able to flow, but only at certain temperatures

‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the forums
Some creatures were stirring, but no one roleplays a mouse.
The WA votes were polled on with care
In hopes that some delegate would witness them there

The citizens were debating their fond NS memories
It’s two o’clock in the morning; no one is catching z’s
And spummers on the RMB, and I buried in polymer notes
Won’t settle anytime soon, not at all, I emote

When in one of the sub-forums there arose such a clatter
I sprang from chapter six on rheology to see what was the matter
Away to the laptop I flew like a flash
Gripped it with care while preventing a crash

The glow from the new post marker on the well-designed snow
Gave a pleasant sight, thank goodness Tweedy is good at drawing snow
When what should my wondering eyes should appear
But a new RP post, reflecting on Vekaiyu’s new fear

Deliberating over a response, thinking of a post
Will keep me up longer, yet ‘I rarely sleep’, I boast
Finally I think of a response that might work
Covering all points so I don’t sound like a jerk

The reply, how it twinkles! The reply, how un-merry!
The words, how they flow! My nation’s dictator, how scary
My thin mouth drawn up in a sleep-deprived grin
Hoping this time I wrote up a win

I can hardly wait for a response or a read
I know this is depressing, but bare with me, I plead
I go to check the ‘who’s online’ and I silently dread:
No one’s awake – they all went to bed

With no one around and no soul in sight
I set to work on a Christmas poem under monitor light
And I think to myself as I finish it this time
I’ll get a million telegrams telling me the first lines don’t rhyme

There you have it. A special The East Pacific Christmas poem brought to you by the benevolently malicious Chairman / Delelgate of the region. I suppose next you’re going to want to ask me about the state of the region. No? Well, here goes nothing anyway. We’re still one of the most active regions in the game, still working on things as usual, still the most democratic feeder region in the game… still, there’s a few changes.

First of all, we have a totally new idea: we call it NS Memories. Sounds simple, and it is: we’re looking for posts from anyone about anything related to NS history, be it an important moment or just a footnote in the game. It can be a snippet from a telegram, an RMB post, a summary, an IRC conversation, flags, former nations, roleplay moments, maps, random occurrences, things that almost happened, defunct intel (or non-defunct – I still love a good plot, of course). Maybe, just maybe, we’ll open up an NS museum… so it’d be good to see some good exhibits there, right? We’re also promoting Loop’s NS Flag Service in this holiday edition. Need a flag? Well, be sure to stop by and post up some specs. And remember, if it ain’t Loop’s, it ain’t nothing. Or something like that.

Wait. Rewiring. The circuits are in their wrong places. I predict an overload in seven days, in the form of a statuous man dressed in Crimson (but not in any particular Order) delivering gifts, not ‘presents’, in an amorphous array. Just. Like. The. Glassy state. Of. Atactic polymethyl methacrylate. Too many connections blending together, the ki parameter is too small, the memories have been compromised too far and are revolting. Or starting to revolt. It is unclear at this time – the reports are varied, and who can trust a report anyway. Increase the molecular weight. Almost. Almost. There. The backdrifts into another sub-reality have been quelled for yet another edition, pipes are now unclogged, no need to set off any alarms, the world has been righted. We will now celebrate by further announcing we’ve updated our WA voting policy. Nothing big, I’ve just decided to vote on resolutions immediately (except for the one that’s up at vote after the Postal one) to give the voting more meaning early on, and to encourage people to debate it further. Of course, before the voting is up I change my vote, if necessary, to fit the region’s view. Doing this will also make TEP’s vote standout more, which is something we could use, as usually we’re the last to vote. So that’ll be a good change. Talks of a TEP Hall of Fame are also underway, brought to you by our Magisterium.

Think that’s pretty swell, don’t you man (or woman)?

And that’s it for now!
-Todd McCloud

A Minute in Roleplay

Overall, our roleplays have evolved. We now have ‘alternate universes’. Check them out, they may just apply to you. We have the TEP Zombie Apocalypse Roleplay AU, which has been very promising so far. If you like zombies, you’ll lurrrve this type of roleplay. We’ve also created a Colonial TEP Alternate universe centered around the 18th and 19th centuries. If you’re into the Victorian age, Napoleonic Empires, and perhaps even a little Steampunk, this might be a perfect fit for you! Also, we’ve made a Medieval TEP Alternate Universe to fit the needs of those who like, well, the middle ages, of course.

So what could we ask of you, nation which knows how to roleplay or might not know how to roleplay but wants to give it a shot? Like writing? Like to create and build, all the while solving problems and interacting with other players and nations? Want to get into something like that? Well, here’s my ticket to you: I cordially invite you to join TEP’s roleplay scene! Cost is free, and we offer amenities such as plots where you can place your nation on, diplomatic events your nation can get involved in, the ability to create your own national events, and top-rated assistance along the way! Just join the forums?, introduce yourself, request a plot on the map, and get involved! Remember, be bold and post often!

Humor
Because I have asked it:
1209749491751.jpg

Batman is very sensitive this time of the year.
wwiihistoryti9.gif

World War II if it were a chatroom.

Want an Embassy in TEP?
The East Pacific is looking to get more connected on an NS-worldly spectrum. We currently have 44 active embassies, and would be honored if your region would consider setting up an embassy on our forum. Here's how it works:

Go to the forum here, and post a message with the topic title being your region's name. In that topic, please include your region's name, a link to your forums, approximate number of nations in your region (optional), and a potential ambassador (this may be changed - we understand selecting ambassadors may take time).

Until we meet again

Irony indieed, how they say they want people involved, and yet they ban someone who was one of the most vocal opponents of the Empire and who assisted them. Doesn't sound so friendly to me :no:

embassyupdate2.jpg

Volume Two, Issue One

We’re back!
by Todd McCloud

It’s been a long winter of discontent as far as The East Pacific’s newspaper is concerned. Or maybe it’s the spring of discontent? Or maybe discontent isn’t the right word. Perhaps a better word is hiatus. Yes! Just a temporary hiatus, you know, regrouping and the likes, putting part A into box A and what not, making sure we’re all clicking on four… no, eight! Yes, eight cylinders, but no more than eight, because that’d just be overkill. But heck, if we’re going to talk about cars, I’ll be sure to post a follow-up for next issue. As for right now, you probably want to know what’s happening in The East Pacific. You don't? Too bad, and we'll maybe saw your arms off if you don't! Oh wait... you do? Well that's more like it! Let's read on!

TEP in general has undergone a few changes recently! Right off the bat our newspaper has received a bit of a face-lift! If you remember our last issue, back in December, it was a Christmas issue with a crazy little rendition of a famous Christmas poem, along with some current events both in the region and in our roleplay speckled in and around the issue, ending with a humor section and a little bit about how to set up an embassy in our hallowed halls. This issue is noticeably different! For one, it’s immediately better in that it’s written by multiple authors, hence multiple opinions and various different sections, teeming with raw, unedited thoughts brought to you by citizens from all walks of life in our region. We’re down with the free speech. But, there’s more, much more! And, if you act now, I’ll take 1,000 off the price right now, no money down! Bad credit? No credit? No problem! But I digress. We have a new Magisterium, full of a few new faces as they debate over a few issues here and there. We also have a new Conclave, approved by our Magisterium, and these Arbiters of The East Pacific are currently hashing out Standing Orders in the hopes of drumming up some protocol for trials and interpreting laws, you know, because we’re all about trying hard criminals! Well… not really. We’re actually a friendly bunch, a friendly bunch that talk on the regional message board as well as the off-site forum, and pretty much get along OR ELSE!! Nah. We’re allowed to get ticked at one another, of course. But in general, we have the sense of a community. And you can’t have community with out unity! Yuk yuk yuk…

And for something completely different, let’s venture into what’s occurring in and around The East Pacific roleplay, the heart of the region! And if that’s the heart… well… I guess that would make the Conclave the prefrontal cortex, the spum the various viruses and bacteria, and the WA voting the voice of the region. Backing up again, it’s probably better to remain off course instead of take the scenic route. Let’s see… we’ve had the East Pacific Treaty Organization resume talks and attempt to form a United Nations among our nations, but lo! There is another group assembling, and those pesky vulpines are at the heart of it! The vile vulpine leader has been arrested and is awaiting transfer to prison as well, which allowed juuust enough leeway to create such an alliance! Oddly enough, though, we have interesting goings-on in the South Pole, where people there are in dire straits. Heck, we’ve even had a helicopter crash, which killed off a prominent character in our roleplay! Oh yeah, and let’s not forget that cave that has boiling basalt (it DOES exist, I say!) that seems to have some odd creatures about around it. You just know something is going down there… though I have to admit, it might not be as crazy as our insane asylum, where our “lovable” characters lose their minds! Ah, and I nearly forgot. You may have heard of 20,000 leagues under the sea. Well, in TEP, we have a Sealab, but it’s not that deep. Still, divers are finding some pretty weird crap down there! Can you believe a mysterious modern city that appears to have been abruptly placed under the ocean? Well you better. For the realists, we have a ‘real-life’ sixteenth century Europe roleplay! And finally… mechs in TEP? Oh yes, my friend. We’re covering all bases in roleplay these days. And we are always welcoming more new members into the fold! So, be bold, join up, post in a thread, and explode things!

So please enjoy this issue and all that it has to offer! Egads! It’s another TEP issue, and it’s just about to begin!

Foreign Affairs & TEP Newspaper
by East Malaysia

The Embassy Authority, once a lifeless part of TEP, has been revived in association with TEP Newspaper. Clearly you can't have one without the other and I would like to thank Todd McCloud for his dedication to the newspaper and helping me out when I was just starting to take office.

I kicked off my campaign for foreign affairs by visiting every region we have connections with. Sadly during that long tedious task of visiting well over 30 or so (lost count) different forums, I had to give a few warnings during my reevaluation and sadly cut regions with now inactive forums without notice. I do have to thank all the regions I visited for the warm welcome once again.

Now you may wonder what this means as in new rules rule and it is simple and easy actually:

*A warning of embassy closure will be issued after 3 months of no contact. The easiest way to avoid this is to post sometime before 3 months. It does not even have to be an update; a friendly "hello" works fine but a microupdate could be attached ;) .*

Oh look! That was the rule. Imagine that! XD. Past that, you will see more of me, or hopefully someone else also that is helping with posting the updates.

I would like to end my little statement with my goals for TEP foreign affairs with being the Secretary of the Embassy Authority. I do not plan to just manage embassies, help out with the updates, or wait for regions to come to us. I plan to open relations with other active regions of NS and to continue to grow our foreign affairs as if TEP was a user-created region.

Interview with Lady Edea / DFD
by Warre

The East Pacific is a big region. While that's obvious to anyone who knows anything about NS, what with it being one of the five feeders, I don't mean simply that. It's got a large fairly active population. With the 4th highest number of regional nation population in the whole of Nationstates, it's a behemoth. And with that sizable population comes a latent alienation and a bit of anonymity. Players are easily allowed to do what they want so long as they don't do it to excess. They can choose to show their head in the community or ignore it. They can be roleplayers, gameplayers, or people who're just hanging around for stuff like the stability and the WA stuff.

It's a nice size, as if even a small group decide to do something they can help the region be clean of adspum, and all sorts of other things. But it's also a bad size. With the leviathan population TEP has, it's hard to get to know all of your fellow TEPers, or even a few of them. More than simply that, it's hard to get to know your leaders, and the movers and shakers within TEP. While there's other ways that we could improve the community, I think one of them is to make the community more aware of it's hard working citizens. Viva la Este Pacifica!

Today, I'll be interviewing one miss Der Furher Dyszel, more commonly known as Lady Edea, our region's current Delegate. Miss Dyszel has a storied history within the region and within the game, and I plan to explore this. For the purposes of this, text which is orange will be questions or comments from myself, and text in purple will be Lady Edea-DFD.

So, Miss DFD. I'm aware you've been playing NS for a good amount of time. How long?"

“Haha, I'm such a loser, I honestly don't know. Early 2003.My original nation creation date is lost in the sands of time because I was deleted and it registers my resurrection date as my creation date.Or at least it used to on the main forums. Now I"m just an antiquity.”

“I knew that it had been a good deal of time, but not that long. It explains your adjustment to the main forums. You were probably one of the earlier members.”

“Make no mistakes. It took me a long time to figure out how to use the forums.I was a noob when I first joined. It's a right of passage in this game. ;)

“I agree wholeheartedly. Now, Miss DFD, what about your regional history? Before TEP, where did you consider your home?”

“Seriously, it took me months of being a member in this game to learn how the UN worked, how the forums worked, how posting whatnot and all that worked.My region, First Reich of Der Fuhrer is my NS home. Created the nation when I first joined the game and had several friends join me. We ended up at one point having 100+nations, but over the years they all dwindled down.”

“But my "feeder" home has and will always be The Rejected Realms. First learned the ways of feeders there.”
“What brought you to TEP?”

“The Empire.”

“I joined The Empire with the idea of helping boost feeder activity. Although, shortly after The Empire's takeover, I disagreed with the approaches they were taking. I worked with the natives to try to restore a balance between TEP and The Empire. In the end, I rejected The Empire, helped establish ASBS as delegate then Todd as delegate and stayed around in the community because I enjoyed the people.”

“I see. So the rumors and obvious 'durp durp durp' truth that you were apart of The Empire as I dunno, Lady Edea, are true?”

“*gasps in horror* How dare you insinuate such an atrocity!? Of course I am Lady Edea. It has been known for nearly quite some time that I was Lady Edea.I believe I officially announced my TEP role as Lady Edea around the collapse of The Empire.”

“Yet Adspummers and insurgents still try to act as if it could be used as a weapon. Do you think this is true, or they'd being dummies? If so, then is it true my role in the Empire [and my good friend Terasu's role] could make me a traitor to the TEP government I helped establish after it's fall?”

“Any attempt to try to prove regional member's involvement in The Empire as being a sign of treachory has and will continue to fail. All of us who joined The Empire to better TEP have remained in TEP and continued to contribute to the region. It is what it is today because of our dedication to the region. Those of us who wanted change and wanted to help have done so.”

“As such, those involved in The Empire who did not care about TEP.....well their lack of presence in the region today speaks for itself.”

“Plus, if TEP tried to kick out anyone involved in The Empire, the region would effectively implode. =P Nearly 80% of its active population would be forced to leave.

Country Profile: Veerilion
by Veerilion

Veerilion has its origins as a colony that became a republic and then the Dominion of Veerilion. The Yumican(Maya like people) were the original inhabitants, before the Conquest by the Cadineros(Spanish/Italian like people) under orders from there Sibrian Masters. Veerilion and the Cadineros can trace them selves to a empire that existed before the dark ages.

Veerilion is ruled by Steam Veerilion, the undisputed leader. Parliament(officiall known as People’s council), was originally an oversight committee and anti-corruption tool, that has grown and changed into a law making body, what they can change is made clear, by the fact that the law is divided into 3 ‘chapters’. With only chapter 3 being able to be changed by the parliament, but then again, it is where most of the actual laws in the land are.

Veerilion’s capital is Sofia where all mayor offices are, the industrial heart is at Edline with Santa Monita and El Domiro being the tourism centers. The most notorious places in the international world are the Freeports, because of its Banks with non-disclosure policy, allowing people to hide money there. Its low taxes, its pretty much a tax haven and they serve as supply depots for many ships. Some Freeports are metropolises other are simply ‘inhabited’ islands in the middle of nowhere.

The Modern Veerilion, has its culture similar with South America in some aspects with Spanish and Italian mixed in. Veerilion’s rainforest is something the nation cares for out of fear of deforestation, and it helps reduce the pollution.

Veerilion’s Economy is naturally led by the industry and factories at Edline which produces everything from washing-machines to cars or missiles. When it come to other types so does it have a industry of agriculture, where it produces wheat, corn, rice and coffee, it also have a dairy and beef production, thought its minor, and naturally, it exports fruits and fruit products, like bananas, orange and pineapples.

The Madness Accord
by The Angel of Death

*throws cheese everywhere*

The East Pacific, a place where in theory Ive been most of my NS career. I honestly dont know what feeder I came from, but I have always said the East Pacific. I had a knack for wandering off into other regions though, and I experienced many different sides to opinions on the overall game.
The most interesting experience by far though, is the ideals of raiders and my little journey with a region called Nazi Europe.
I joined the region a while back, looking at their debates mostly at first. The fact they were condemned caught my eye most of all. It seemed they were condemned on their ideology, and for me that was silly. I have always disliked other countries or regions getting branded for something they may or may not believe in. In this case, it was apparent why Nazi Europe was condemned, because no one likes Nazis and what they stand for. That is of course understandable.
However, the accusations leaned more towards the fact that they were spouting their beliefs off to others, and causing commotions.
Upon researching this, I found that it wasnt true. They were in fact branded simply for what they stood for. But here is the real thing that bugged me.
I joined them, became a part of their military(raider style), and I learned very well that none of them really believed in the ideals of Nazism that existed during WWII, the ideals they were branded for. The leader himself could care less, when I spoke with him. They were merely facist/socialists, who liked to raid.
And I enjoyed raiding so I saw no issue with this at all.
Its very curious how they wore a mask, stuck in the land of "RP Mode".
They are condemned sure, but its more like a badge.
You see, the problem I have with this condemning nonsense, is that it seems to always borderline personal opinion about others. It seems someone gets upset about another region or nation, and want them to get condemned just because they dont like what they think.
I find it far worse to operate in such a manner, rather than the personal manners of the accused.
Nazi Europe wasn't at all a bad region, they were just simple raiders. Because of the political battles I had with so many at that time, I become a hater of the somewhat new Security council. And it was only because people spouted off opinion and political bias more than anything else.
Ill never forget the liberation attempt, by someone who was a raider themselves, because they simply couldn't stand by when their enemies took a region. So they cry and go boo hoo to the council and create a huge issue and liberate the region.
And you know what?
The region is dead again just like it was before the raiders, and liberation.
After seeing this, I came to the conclusion that the security council was essentially pointless, and it choked the game play of raiders.
NS isnt alive as much as it seems, and raiders play a role in the game to keep it alive, and it creates things for regions and nations to do in a sometimes boring environment.
Sure, the ideals of raiding isnt a popular one, but it also keeps the game alive.
So why choke it, and make so many huge political deals about it in the council?
Regarding that I am at a loss.
I dont mind that it certainly does create alot fuss, because that does lead to more activity, but at the same time it hurts those who play a different game within NS as well. But then one asks or comments, that raiders are bad and shouldn't do this or that, blah blah. Yes, Ive heard that, but what strikes me is that most, not if all regions raided nowadays are DEAD regions. Why liberate? Why complain?
You are just making it dead again through political fuss, only to recreate a cycle of inactivity and boredom. Congratulations.

I learned this all from simply dealing with alot while in Nazi Europe.
I eventually left though, because of things going on in my life of course, but my real place has always been in TEP. I am glad though that I can say I was once a raider and I still support the idea of raiding.
Its an unliked activity, but it sure beats sitting around like old men in a region doing nothing but passing pointless resolutions to already fine governments.
And don't even get me started on that, I had enough fun dealing with bureaucracy and utter boredom as a Senator long long ago in TWP. That was truly a moment in NS where I wanted to punch the region with my fist, because no one wanted to do practically anything but sit around to simply explain it. However that was long ago and maybe its different today.

Concerning other things though, we need a cheese and tea party around in TEP.
I am very much yearning for one.

~The Angel of Death

The Game.
by Alejandro the Pengiun

Epic awesomeness has just entered the building. No, you are not epic awesomeness. You are nothing more than an unorganized, grabastic piece of amphibian s***, as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman puts it. But the epic awesomeness is not him, either; he got killed while in the barracks. Either way, I am the epic awesomeness that has just entered the building. Feel free to n00k a frozen dinner; I've got all day.

TOPIC OF THE NOW: The Magisterium

It's almost June in this place, and the Magisterium has been seated for about half a month. But there's one catch- they're still voting on who should become Provost, and it's ticking me off.

For starters, at the time of which I wrote this column the score was at 3 even- three for incumbent Dyr Nasad, three for challenger Free Pacific States, and three abstaining. The Magisterium has ten people this term. If someone votes abstain, something tells me we're screwed.

Why? If someone votes abstain, then no one is really elected. To further complicate matters, there is no official legislation describing what to do when the elections for Provost are tied, or when abstaining is the most popular option. That means nothing is legal, nor illegal; it's a crossroads.

Since people failed to elect me to the Magisterium, I'm going to give something- and this is just a suggestion, people- from outside the forum. Here it is:

If abstaining is the most popular option, have both members become co-Provosts.

I know, I'm probably going to get shot for this. But let's go further- one Provost oversees debates, and the other oversees votes. One represents the Magisterium to the Arbitorium and the Delegacy, and the other is in charge of the archives. Epic compromise has been reached, and problem solved.

Then again, if one or the other gets the most votes... then I'm happy, and we can move on.

Another thing that has been ticking me off about the Provost elections is the amount of time it is taking. It's been very long, and long enough to elect a Provost. I think they should have stopped it at 5 days, then selected the winner there, which would have been FPS.

But since my opinion is insignificant, I'll shut up now.

TEP Entertainment
by Penndale

Falling
When you fall, you flap your arms up and down like a little birdie just learning how to fly. You probably see it in cartoons, maybe YOU did it once. Flapping your arms when you fall is a human reflex. However, unless another human reflex was to grow bat wings, flapping your arms would be ineffectual.
Memorial Day
Happy Memorial Day! In the US, May 31st is Memorial Day. It is a holiday commemorating the brave soldiers that died in the Civil War. So Happy Memorial Day to those in the US!

Corny Joke of the Day

What is blue and fuzzy all over?

Blue Fuzz!

Riddle of the Day

Last issue's riddle: Why can't a man living in the US be buried in Canada?
Answer: He is still living!

Today's Riddle:
A man walks outside while it is raining without an umbrella and doesn't get a hair on his head wet. How is this possible?

Find out in the next issue!

Bonus: How far can a dog run into the woods?

RMB Topic
Poker
Going to Prison

The Pacific Theater
by Tutchone

In response to the proposition of a publication that would reach readers East Pacific wide, relative unknown Tutchone artist Art Redwolf has created The Pacific Theatre. A regular feature intending to run in the aforementioned publication, the comic is also slated for sale in both domestic and international publishing markets.

The series is slated to run indefinitely, and hopes to become a popular and widespread icon among the otherwise drab world of newspaper serials.

pacific1.gif

OOC: This was created with Microsoft Comic Chat, using the default images which come to us from Jim Woodring. I'd like to extend my thanks, and say that no copyright infringement is intended.

Humor
by Packilvania

893401245_Rv37G-O.jpg

Want an Embassy in TEP?

The East Pacific is looking to get more connected on an NS-worldly spectrum. We currently have 26 active embassies, and would be honored if your region would consider setting up an embassy on our forum. Here's how it works:

futurama.gif

Good news everyone! Our newspaper edition is over! And if you read this in the professor's voice, you must post in this topic!

Until we meet again

]
Embassy-update-colored.gif

Volume Two, Issue Three

Introduction
by Todd McCloud
It’s that time again, time for a Christmas issue brought to you by the aspiring elves of TEP! Well, actually they aren’t aspiring to be elves. More like giants among elves, which isn’t too hard to become. Still, we’ve compiled a nice paper for all to read in their viewing pleasure. We hope it’s a good show and that you’ll get some enjoyment out of it!

So what have we been doing in The East Pacific these days? Well, if you must know… because you were totally going to ask that question next… we’re roleplaying, debating, and above all having fun. We’re currently in the midst of some Winter Solstice Celebrations, made possible by the hard-working and fun-loving individuals in the region of the east. But what else? We’re also roleplaying. Roleplaying, you might say? Whether or not you do roleplay on NS, it’s actually pretty fun and exciting. Who else wouldn’t like to see their characters turned to goo and drilled with four dozen bullet holes! Actually we’re a little more benevolent than that. But only a little bit. Just a smidgen. And when we aren’t roleplaying or just goofing around, we work on our government. Our Magisterium has picked up activity in the past few weeks or so, and the Conclave has just finished polishing off their standing orders. Of course our delegate remains ever vigilant and is only mildly oppressive! Nah, he’s actually a good guy, except for how he roots for the Pittsburgh Steelers… everyone knows the Cleveland Browns is the superior team ;)

But it’s Xmas time in TEP. This year is a bit of a different feeling for some. I suppose it has to do with the mind control device recently installed within the bowls of the Pax Box, but apart from that and the occasional forced hailing of the Hive, there is still an inner thread that keeps us all together. And while a few of us may tug on that thread every once and a while, it doesn’t break. We’ve gotten a bit more festive this year, as we tug on that string with candy canes instead of just fingers. The string may be a bit worn, but our resolve remains unbroken. Unbroken, I say! Let’s just hope those candy canes don’t have too much force behind them. Well, so be it. A Christmas that is full of strings and not some guy in a red suit with a beard who likes to give gifts to children. This doesn’t seem like such a bad th-GLORY TO THE HIVE.

What did I just say? Oh well. Best of luck to everyone, and safe voyages!

Call all Foreign Dignitaries...get yo gift!
by East Malaysia
Are you the ambassador to TEP?

Hate that you can't get edit your post or control your embassy?

That is all changing!

Next time you drop by the forum just contact me [East Malaysia] or post in my office located in the Embassy Authority.

I'll be rolling out the mask and granting embassy permission no later than first of the year (and before if anyone drops by) but you have to request it!

~EM.

Magisterium Elections
by Chancellor Shaw
Late November marked the beginning of TEPs fourth quarter, which means a new batch of victi- er, I mean, volunteers came forward to be elected into our Magisterium. All joking aside, this is one tough job. Thankfully we have what looks to be a great group of people who stepped up to answer the call.

This past Magisterium election was full of vibrant discussion as to what each person wanted to help TEP with during their term. Of the eight who were nominated, seven were elected. Since then one of our Magisters has had to resign, leaving us with six strong minded, capable individuals who got right at the busy job they had ahead of them.

The Magisterium is the legislature of The East Pacific. They are tasked with creating, proposing, debating on, and passing bills and laws to make our region run smoothly and fairly for everyone. It is because of these individuals that we have laws like our Secondary Endorsement Cap Act and our Adspum Rules. Speaking of which, one recent debate of interest was the consideration of the new Nationstates Century Theme, and what impact it would have on TEPs RMB Advertisement regulations. The Magisterium has also been going over Rights of Residents, and Ambassador masks for our Forums.

Although it may not always be the most glamorous job, we are indebted to the six Magisters currently serving our region. The position really is the crux of our government, and it takes a keen eye for not only looking at how to keep our region running, but also how to alter and improve laws in our ever changing world. So stop by, if you can, and say hi to the people who keep TEP going as one of the most vibrant, active communities in Nationstates.

A Minute in Roleplay
by yk001nul
Courtesy of the Fyrdowsi Spy News Network

Oh No, Not Again! Vekaiyu Split Apart in the War of Illusions

The Spy was peacefully sipping his coffee in the quiet township of Iruk when everything suddenly went up into flames, casting the city into chaos. It did not took very long for The Spy to discover that everywhere around Vekaiyu, skirmishes were blooming, fueled by an attempt on the life of the Premiere of Listonia. Very soon enough, The Spy watched as the simple political counter-attack turned into a war of philosophy against philosophy, of vulpine-kin against vulpine-kin .. of Maxists against non-Maxists.
As was expected by The Spy, the war soon brought lots of interested (and deeply involved) parties. The Nation of Vulshain was one of the first to join the battle, partly because of blood bonds, and partly because of something else. Nothing couldn be more gruesome than the participation of the war legions of Allegheny, who mobilized their large army forces, laying waste to major cities such as Iruk and Nilisa.
Several other nations took note of the war, such as the concerned Nation of Bai Lung and Nation of Veerilion, but did not enter the prolonged skirmish for specific reasons. The Spy however knew that pockets of his fellow brothers and sisters in spirit were living in the cities, protected under the Secrecy Act of the Theocracy.
Thus, The Spy received special permission to peer through the eyes of an unordained brother who was in the midst of the battle, using the Divine Sight enchantment provided by a vulpine brother closest to the man in mission. Lo, how different things were under the illusion of destruction! Through the brother's eyes, he saw the bitter echo of what once was Maxism incarnate himself walking the very earth, silently possessing a hapless Alleghenian officer in search of the only thing binding himself to the mortal planes. He saw how the unordained brother managed to overcome his weakness and send all the imperiled brothers and sisters, as well as several uninitiated residents of the cities, to the land of Fyrdowsi near the end of the conflict.
A visit by the Premiere herself to the devastated cities after the end of the major battles could not heal what has been done. Many major cities of Vekaiyu's provinces, such as Iruk, were reduced to rubbles, and links with the Nation of Listonia remained sensitive. Frankly, The Spy thought that all this would not happen if Vekaiyu embraced the Merciless Master instead, but he felt that nothing happened without His wisdom, and the proud Vekaiyu citizens might live through the conflicts as if nothing had ever happened.

Dizzying! Shades of Every Perceivable Spectrum Abound in the Different Colours!

The Spy recently received a report from one of the cleric group researching a way to enter someone else's dream via meticulous incantations and mental preparation. Honestly, The Spy thought that he had heard it before in a cinema advert section of a newspaper, but he paid no attention to the similarity as he peered through the group's metageological scan. He happened upon a scan made over the Nation of Reziel, where a figurative dream description of a young woman who was being called Mother by a man about her own age caught The Spy's eyes. He quickly cross-referenced the dream report to an official espionage report on the inner workings of the great nation of Reziel itself.
It seemed that a silent crisis of rulership heritage was abound in the ancient nation, owing to its absolute fascination in the twins-bonded relationship of the kingdom and the Nation of Kangarawa. It seemed that someone in its government thought of its king as being incompetent enough to rein in his own twin brother, but The Spy thought that it was a norm among any nation with kingdoms at its helm. But The Spy found it most shocking to read that a shadowy element of the nation called the Brotherhood attempted to end the life of a simple woman over governmental problems. The trouble subsequently reached a climax in a flyer machine's accident involving a noblewoman of Reziel, which did not seem like an accident at all.
Wonder of wonders, The Spy found a twist in the seemingly simple end of the story. It seemed that the Kangarawans were quite clever in devising political assassinations; although there were no records suggesting direct involvement of the Kangarawa government in the accident, a portion of a military cable leaked from within the government's machinery seemed to suggest that they, at least, preferred the accident to happen.
Between the almost fanatical obsession of a noblewoman with her unborn child and the strained relationship of two ancient kingdoms, The Spy concluded that the nations would have a better future by having a Fyrdowsian 'middleman' among its midst. The Spy sent the report along with a commendation for an 'embassy' in the turbulent kingdoms to the Order's Operation Center for further actions.

Where's the Skeleton? Look Behind the Alabaster Walls!

It wasn't usual for The Spy to get to see an espionage report from across the Regional Border, but The Spy got that opportunity when a correspondent from the West Pacific handed him a copy of all infiltration activities going on beyond the Border. Fledgling it might be, but interesting nonetheless.
A section of the report from the nation of Mahanoy piqued The Spy's interest. It seemed to start with the purported death of a man, and a miraculous rejuvenation of another. An article on the confirmed presence of a high-borne vulpine, possibly a Vekaiyu Premiere, right there in the West made The Spy wonder as to the extent of the vulpines' influence. Further on, the report also made it known that a man described earlier in the report was in fact a marked man who lost his memory. The agent who made the report seemed particularly interested in the marked man's journey, going as far as describing his experience watching the marked man making an illegal landing of a flyer machine into the nation of Allegheny's airspace, slipping a note of commendation to the pilot of the aircraft in the report's footnote.
The report described various facts currently not known by any other spy agencies in the region, such as Allegheny's pseudo-religious culture in the midst of the back-stabbing world of the hard-nosed nation, the shadier elements of the East Pacific Treaty Organization, Reziel's level of readiness against the hordes of Packilvania and various other issues performed in secret by the great nations. Near the end of the Mahanoy report, The Spy was presented with vivid descriptions of a cosy relationship between an unknown Alleghenian military woman and the marked man, who was assumed to have assigned a new identity to himself. The Spy deemed the report worthy of national interest and submitted it to the Operation Center for further research.

All Hail the King! Vulshain King Made Known in the Coronation of the New Monarch of Vulshain

The Spy has always thought of kings and kingdoms as a heretical remnant of the world's feudal past, as per the official dogma of the Theocracy, but it would not hurt to discover the camaraderie of a coronation in a kingdom somewhere. Thus, The Spy found himself amidst the dingy, smelly and sweaty masses of crowds greeting their new Leader in the nation of Vulshain. Ever the curious one, The Spy could not resist in getting to know more about the King. Posing as a lowly cameraman, The Spy masqueraded as a television crew en route to a special interview with the ruler, and from thereon, things get a wee bit more interesting.
It was clear that despite an assassination attempt on the king, there was not even a little bit of worry on Vulshain's side. The King even had the leisure to casually enter the Southern Yugoslavian territory, with only a team of snipers to vouch for his safety. The Spy himself heard the leaders of the two country conversing about terrorists and terror in an almost make-belief casual calmness, which led The Spy to believe that they have something to hide.
Correction, it was actually someone to hide, after The Spy conducted a more thorough infiltration. The Spy had managed to crawl his way into a hospital where the terrorist, a certain unknown individual from the nation of Rygard, was said to be held without trial. From the way the military kept the terrorist at bay, The Spy was positive that something bad was bound to happen sooner or later. It was not long before a field agent near a Rygard embassy sent The Spy a pigeon message, stating that a group of guards opened fire on a group of people for no apparent reason. Seeing that embassies were often hosts to multinational guests, it was inevitable that the casualties involved victims from other nations, such as East Malaysia and Kelssek.
After seeing all the conundrums and conspiracies of the royal elites, The Spy was convinced that the way of dynastic Kings and Kingdoms was doomed. Therefore, The Spy proposed to the Operation Center that all future operations within any foreign Kingdoms be held with ultimate caution.

Country Profile
by Terasu
The Elafos Coalition was formed in the year 1066AD and is comprised of the city states, Aetria, Aquitania, Lycia, Nocteia, Tyr'asu, Valeria and Vylade. Originally immigrants, the ethnic group which now resides widely across the North Western corner of The East Pacific began to arrive in late 900BC. Their origin is ultimately unknown, although academics have suggested several areas outside of The East Pacific, there is no concrete evidence to validate any such theories. Ancient texts generally refer to some unknown force, believed to be an opposing nation, which forced the Elafosians out of their home and across the sea. While the Elafos Coalition contains the largest concentration of people that actively identify themselves as "Elafosian", such groups are spread throughout several islands within the Jeneras (all of which maintain close ties with the Coalition) and the neighbouring Iskios Federation. The Iskios Federation, long time rivals of the Coalition, is made up of the states Askia, Gallecia, Illyricium, Merhenia, Ormark and Skatos. Gallecia, Merhenia and Ormark predate the arrival of the "Elafosians", once being formidable nations in their own right. After a prolonged war with the Coalition spanning over a century (1100-1300AD, roughly), they found themselves defeated but allied with three dissenting Elafosian states, Askia, Illyricium and Skatos. In modern terms, tensions between Elafos and Iskios led to a war, still ongoing, which saw Askia, Illyricium and Skatos rejoin the Coalition.

While not considered a "super power" on a regional scale, the Coalition is by no means weak. Elafos usually prefers a "hands off" approach to regional politics, although it often sees itself as an enforcer of the North West, along with its close ally Warre.

Interviews
by Vulshain
I interviewed two of our resident Roleplayers here. Both of them are very nice and friendly, and great to hang out with. Also, I see them as some of my best friends since I arrived here. Let me introduce Todd McCloud and Southern Yugoslavia!

Todd McCloud

Me: What got you interested in roleplaying?

Todd: Probably the uniqueness of it. Initially I thought it was a little weird, but I was not aware of how intricate and exciting the extent of roleplaying one's own characters and nations with other people, and playing out their plots and ideas in addition to my own. It's quite fun, really. I recommend it to anyone.

Me: You put a lot of time and effort into the histories and backgrounds of your nation and characters. What was your reason of putting so much effort into designing your nation and characters? Would you recommend this approach to roleplaying to others?

Todd: I like history, personally. Applying history to my nations simply fulfills that like for me with respect to my nation. As far as backstories, they can be both beneficial and hindering. A little bit of backstory is okay, but too much or too heavy of a reliance on it can be stifling to other roleplayers. In the same breath, backstories can help other roleplayers get a glimpse of just what character or nation they are dealing with. So, I recommend a healthy balance, personally.

Me: How long have you been roleplaying? You don't have to be specific. (Laughs)

Todd: About 2-2.5 years now. Off and on in between.

Me: You were just elected as one of the new Magisters. Congrats and welcome to the Magisterium. Now, what other positions in TEP's government have you performed while a citizen of the East Pacific?

Todd: Well, I was the delegate of the region for one year, starting in 2009. After that, I became an arbiter and served there for a while as a judge in the region. I now do regional map updates and help in the magisterium.

Me: What were some of your responsibilities as arbiter, so that those who are interested in becoming an arbiter will have a good idea on what they have to do?

Todd: Essentially, I helped write the standing orders and ruled / debated on particular issues that were brought up in the conclave. Arbiters are selected, however. They should have a sense of what we do in The East Pacific in addition to having a level head. One of the things I tried to push when I was arbiter was to have people voice their opinions and not be afraid to go against the majority if they feel they need to. Great minds don't think alike. They think for themselves.

Me: A lot of your characters are either athletes or interested in sports. Does this mean that you are into sports as well?

Todd: I was at a time. I played lacrosse in grade school. But aside from that I just simply like to stay healthy and exercise. I can't sit in front of a computer all day. My brains turn to oatmeal. (Laughs) Of course, I'm not a health nut. But I guess I'd say I try to shake things up a bit.

Me: (Laughs) That is a good idea. It's not healthy to be a couch potato. Here's my next question: How did you get involved with TEP's newspaper?

Todd: I don't really remember off hand. I think it was because when I changed the embassies on TEP's forums such that every region got their own sub-forum instead of just a thread. Doing that took a while, but the end product looked nice. I figured maybe it would be good to re-start our newspaper. We were all gung-ho for it, and the first issue was a success. I like newspapers that are big and have a wide variety of contributions from other players in the region. One person explaining what a region's doing just seems a bit one-dimensional.

Me: When you're not roleplaying or working, what do you do for fun in your spare time? This also includes when you’re not working on your Nationstates Wiki.

Todd: Do you mean on NS or apart from NS?

Me: Apart from NS.

Todd: I have a group of friends I typically spend time with. I also like to go places during the evening and socialize with people.

Me: Okay, let's go back to that same question, but this time, what do you do when you're on NS?

Todd: Many things, (Laughs). Though nowadays I'm mostly just in TEP having fun there.

Me: A few weeks ago, I was reading an article in a roleplaying magazine that talked about a rise in godmodders. The article went to say that the vast majority of these godmodders aren't doing it intentionally, but are simply doing it by accident as they are newcomers to roleplaying. My question is this: do you any tips, advice, warnings, and suggestions to newcomers to roleplaying on how they can avoid godmodding?

Todd: Just don't make your nation too awesome. Try and have a balance between flaws and strengths. Don't have "end-all" tech where no one can really stand up against you. Respect players with their RP histories, and don't be afraid to make your nation lose. A loss that is roleplayed well is a win for the roleplayer himself or herself.

Southern Yugoslavia

Southern Yugoslavia (SY): Towards nation roleplay?

Me: Yes.

SY: Probably just being able to have the power to control your own nation, and react to world events created by others in your world.

Me: You put a lot of time and effort into the histories and backgrounds of your nation and characters. What was your reason of putting so much effort into designing your nation and characters? Would you recommend this approach to roleplaying to others?

SY: I like just knowing what happened prior to current event, and what could have caused it along the timeline. It probably partly because I'm a history buff. And by approach do you mean creating histories of the nation and characters, or nation roleplay?

Me: That is correct.

SY: If you're someone that's into political/nation simulators, then yes, I would reccommend them creating a nation and finding a home to roleplay in to allow their nation to grow and flourish.

Me: How long have you been roleplaying? You don't have to be specific (Laughs).

SY: Hmm... Well I've had Southern Yugoslavia for a little more than a year. I would probably say ten to eleven months on the Nationstates forums. Here at the East Pacific however, I'd say probably five months.

Me: In your free time, when you're not roleplaying or working, or doing schoolwork, what do you like to do?

SY: Well I typical enjoy running, playing some video games (who doesn't?), hanging out with some of my friends or watching movies.

Me: What advice or suggestions would you give to people who are just starting nation roleplaying? For example, how would you advise them in order for them from accidentally godmodding?

SY: Do your research. Pick a country that has roughly the same population as you. Check their economy and military. You can't have a nation with seven million people, then try to say your economy is as large as the United States or China.

Me: Excellent advice.

SY: Thank you. And if you can't seem to find a nation with the same population as you, then it's okay to go up or down a few million.

I want to thank both Todd and SY for allowing me to interview them. That were very friendly and we had a lot of fun doing these interviews.

Humor

1280978422571.gif

128697200301568326.jpg

Want an Embassy in TEP?

The East Pacific is looking to get more connected on an NS-worldly spectrum. We currently have 26 active embassies, and would be honored if your region would consider setting up an embassy on our forum. Here's how it works:

1282444321312.jpg

Now look I say look boy! If you read this in my voice, you must reply below!

I must protest! Issue two is missing and I was looking forward to the answers to the issue's Riddles..... They are my favorite part! :cry:

Riddle of the Day (from Issue 1, in the Entertainment Section)

Last issue's riddle: Why can't a man living in the US be buried in Canada?
Answer: He is still living!

Today's Riddle:
A man walks outside while it is raining without an umbrella and doesn't get a hair on his head wet. How is this possible?

Bonus: How far can a dog run into the woods?

imaginationattheeastpac.jpg

(Image credit goes to Vulshain of TEP)

The East Pacific cordially invites you to Roleplay Week, a week designed to not only keep things going in Operation:Active Summer, but to also give roleplayers and aspiring roleplayers something fun to do during the summer months. In this week, roleplayers join in and interact with other TEP roleplayer nations and participate for one of the available awards during the week. It officially begins this Monday (today) and ends Sunday night next week (because in TEP the week begins on Monday and not Sunday, of course). So if you're bored, want to give roleplaying a shot, or are just in a writers block and could use some change of pace, let us be your canvas for creativity!

All details, links, etc are located riiiight here. Some threads / roleplays are in the process of getting started (this *does* last a week, of course), so feel free to join in and/or start a new topic up! Note: in that link you'll find other links to some RP threads, RPing in TEP, and other helpful notes!

Too bad you won't let me RP in my former RP home, especially since I did help fight against TEP's Empire regime. >_>

fc48c842.jpg

Editor's Statement
by Todd McCloud

In an attempt to bring some diversity into our newspaper, I retired from newspaper duties when I assumed the delegacy in April of this year. I wanted to see how others in the region would handle things, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed. TEP is like that - if someone retires, someone else steps up to the plate and delivers. It's definitely an admirable quality any region can have, and one I am certainly proud of TEP for. Earlier this year, we endured the departure of nearly a dozen members due to various reasons. By the time April rolled around, it was difficult to fathom anyone would oblige and put together an issue. But, we worked on it, filled those vacancies, and we as a region are now back to being a well-oiled machine. This issue is by Vulshain of TEP, a nation that has been with our region for over one year. Without further ado, here it is!

Interview
by Vulshain / Smigol

We'll start off with an interview I did with everyone's favorite Pole, Smigol!

Smigol: Actually, I got interested in roleplaying in TEP, was the same thing that brought me to NationStates. The possibiliy of having your own nation, and probability of a lot of international problems, even if not actually real. Outside of TEP I'm not really a roleplayer.

Me: *Nods* I see. How long have you been roleplaying at TEP?

Smigol: I think I joined TEP around april last year? But, I had a moment of inactivity after the september due to some personal problems

Me: Okay. So, what do you like about roleplaying at TEP, and what don't you like about roleplaying at TEP?

Smigol: What I like, is as I said a variety of international situations. Most of which are problems, which is even better. I was always interested in the culture of different real-life nations and people, so founding a place where I can have my on country, with my own culture, and roleplay it? It was brilliant. Though at first I had horrible problems with the lenght of the posts.
I remember struggling to read a thread, because it was a lenght of a very short book. But now I got used to it, and I prefer the posts being that long.
Oh, also the large amount of inactive players is pretty weak.

Me: Yeah that is a problem at times. Being from an European nation, did you put parts of your culture into your nation's culture or did you just create your nation's culture from scratch?
Smiggy says:
Actually Smigsachenweiz is a germanic nation, so it was exciting for me to roleplay it, because I had to read a little about Germany culture, and I could completely cut off from Polish culture, for the sake of this nation. That said, most of the things my characters said in 'Smigsachwian' language, were Polish proverbs translated into bastardized version of German.

Me: That's very interesting. Excellent work.

Smigol: Thanks.

Me: You're welcome.
What do you do in your free-time, when you're not roleplaying?

Smigol: I mostly hang out with my friends after school - go to a pub for a beer, or somewhere. I also like to play some games, and meddle around in photoshop, making maps and stuff.

Me: Cool. I have seen some of your maps and art, and you're really good at them.

Smigol: Thanks, I try.

Me: No problem. Recently, you split your nation into several smaller nations. Was there a reason for you doing this?

Smigol: I thought I will have a bigger amount of free time, and I will be able to roleplay two additional nations - Dresana, which would be a Socialist state, and Chrzaska, based on second Polish republic (1918-1939), so a little authoritharian, and almost functional nation. Unfortunately the life wanted it different, so I never got around to do that.
In future I will probably merge Chrzaska and Dresana, and offer it as a free plot on the map. This will require change of the names of some Serenitech's officials, true, but somethings is gotta be done about inactive nations

Me: That's true.
Your original nation, Smigsachenweiz, had a history with Todd's Vekaiyu. Did you two work that out, or did you just come up with it on your own?
Basically, I'm referring to Smigsachenweiz being a vassal to Vekaiyu, according to the NSWiki article on Smigsachenweiz.

Smigol: I came up with most of it, however everything was based on Vekaiyu's history. Plus I asked Todd a lot "can I do this" or "can I do that". He's a really nice guy, and bascially just let me do anything if that didn't make him change his NSwiki page

Me: That's true. Todd's a nice guy.
So what was it like working with Todd?

Smigol: Sometimes I feel like if he knew everything about TEP and TEP history, so this is quite useful. Plus he writes really well (I mean, seriously, read "The Others")

Me: I know. I enjoyed reading The Others. I've actually talked to him about becoming a writer, but he's quite modest and humble. lol

Smigol: It's true. Todd if you are reading this stop being such a nice guy, it makes the rest of us look bad.

Me: lol
One last question: do you have any ideas or suggestions to help deal with inactive players?

Smigol: You mean inactive, as not roleplaying, or not coming to the forum at all?

Me: Not roleplaying.

Smigol: Hm, not sure, really. You can't really force someone into roleplaying. Though it's strange, being on a roleplay forum, and not roleplaying, I must say.
However I'd like to make a series of votings to remove nations of inactive players (I mean the ones, that stopped coming to the forum at all) from the map.

Me: That's true. Better to remove them than to have them take up space.

Smigol: Yeah, that's what I think
Plus I think I will make a new version of the map (with layers, so if someone had to replace me, he would have an easier job)

Me: That's a good idea. Thanks for letting me interview you.

Smigol: Thanks and you're welcome.

And that's it for the interview.

Now for the nation profiles. Yep, there are two of them: Vekaiyu and Vulshain.

Vekaiyu:
by Todd McCloud

Vekaiyu is a relatively large-sized nation in The East Pacific realm. Populated almost entirely by vulpines, the nation has undergone multiple transitions and occupations during its history, but today remains a formidable power. The nation formed when sentient vulpine tribes, who are believed to be evolved due to the torrential raining patterns that plagued the Vekaiyun area roughly one hundred million years ago, settled under a common king. The nation warred with itself relentlessly until it was occupied completely for roughly three hundred years, beginning during the close of the third century. It was during these tumultuous years the Vekaiyun people changed, adopting a new religion, new language, and new culture. In a few centuries after the occupation, Vekaiyu became a bastion for science and progress, and grew to become a powerful state. This power would wane when the nation changed once again in the sixteenth century, due in part to the Vekaiyun provinces warring with each other, paved by a weak king. Vekaiyu turned its attention elsewhere, flexing its colonial prowess and gaining various colonies in and around the NationStates' world.

Today, the nation progresses through another transition - a freer market. While enterprise is still heavily regulated by the country, it has relaxed its hold on private licenses, which are required in order to own a business that operates in more than one province. Private ownership has skyrocketed and bolstered its economy, which is still reeling from a bloody civil war. This is due by and large by the new Vekaiyun Premier Ikrisia Levinile. While her youth and inexperience inhibits her, she continues to move The Nation of Green to new heights. The Kivreskov, or the Vekaiyun legislature, commenced operations in February. The nation is more responsive to the cultures and traditions of other nations. English is now mandated and is required to be taught in primary schools. The nation hungrily eyes the breadbasket Listonia, it's neighbor to the east.

The Vekaiyun spirit is one of closeness each other and a strong will to not bend to the wills and desires of others. While Vekaiyu may be relaxing it's stubbornness against other nations and cultures, the spirit of the people continue to endure within the nation.

Vulshain:
by Vulshain

Vulshain is a large nation located in the East Pacific region on the northern continent, where the sea borders the southern, southwestern, and southeastern coasts. The nation began when the local native Lobos united with the Vulpines who arrived via a land bridge in prehistoric times from Vekaiyu thousands of years ago. Vulshainians have a strong sense of pride in their heritage and culture, but they are open-minded and are quite comfortable mixing old ways with new ways.

Vulshain is mainly inhabited by Vulpines and Lobos, although humans and a few other races live here as well. For most of its history, Vulshain has been a monarchy, although in the mid and late 20th century, the country became a democratic republic that quickly transformed into a fascist military dictatorship ironfistedly ruled by Merrill Rivers, acrazed megalomaniac. With the aid and support of its neighbors and other foreign powers, the monarchy was restored. However, from 2003 to 2006, a terrible civil war erupted killing countless lives and damaging the nation even more. The nation has recovered, but the scars from both the Civil War and the reign of Merrill Rivers are still there. With the recent election and crowning of the new Monarch of Vulshain, King Samuil Rainard, the nation's people now hope for a better and brighter future.

While the physical damage from Rivers' reign has healed, the reversing of the damage to the nation's culture is slow, but steady. Merrill Rivers attempted to purge Vulshain of its traditions and customs in order to create a new culture, one where he and his government would guide and influence. After Rivers' downfall, Vulshain has painstakingly tried to recover its past. Today, the nation is now on the road of getting back its lost heritage.

Hilarities
by Vulshain

And speaking of traditions, here we have a tradition of putting funny pictures up. I'm continuing that tradition, but updating it some: instead of pictures, I'm using videos! Here's a few. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/HsFWkvF7UVQ

We send these guys after you if you godmod. So godmodders, BEWARE! Don't godmod, if you don't want the disco-roller skating bots to come after!

And now for some rock. Weird song, cool game.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/tOnaDRGTef8

And this has got to be the funniest thing ever posted here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVb-TFsFIZA

NS DEBATE CONEST

That's right, it's that time again! TEP is hosting its second-ever Debate Contest, open to all within the NationStates multiverse!

Participate in debates, tear someone's argument apart, and earn some good bragging rights and cool prizes / badges.

Go here for more information, including contest setup, entrants, and how to get involved. Sign up for the contest in that thread too!

Hope to see you there!

tepheadergimped.png

A message from the delegate of The East Pacific:​

The "Summer Lull" hit TEP especially hard this year. After several months of scraping by on what minimal activity could be found within the East and within its government, the region saw a reemergence of interest in its functions this Fall, mainly from relatively new nations. Shortly after this renewed interest in the region appeared, a puppet nation named "Mintarkilia" made a feeble but opportunistically timed attempt to damage faith in the East Pacific's democratic government. The nation sent telegrams to many WA nations within TEP seeking the unendorsement of the elected Delegate and of the government's Viziers (members of what is essentially The East Pacific's Security Council). Stupidly, this puppet also sent one of these telegrams to me, and I was thus able to react to this assault promptly and extremely effectively.

We suspect this attempt on our stability and security was made by a long-term enemy of the East, though the true identity of this puppet's main nation was never revealed. The pathetic attempt on our unity and productivity was met with a brutal counterattack written by myself (Topdop), which ultimately won my nation more endorsements than it had before the enemy's unendorsement campaign began and which inspired even more local interest in the East's democratic regional organization. Ultimately, the assailant's attempts to destabilize TEP and/or smother its potential to recover from the Summer Lull completely backfired. Local East Pacificans continue to express an interest in joining the government and activity and participation both grow slowly but steadily.

Things have certainly improved since I wrote my last state of the region address in July, when the Summer Lull was at its most horrendously boring and disillusioning low point. The activity level isn't back where it should be, but it's on the rise - and I don't plan to let this opportunity to revive this region and its community slip through my fingers. We've got a great system here and newcomers are noticing this potential - I will do everything I can to keep them in the loop and encourage their involvement in the government and in the culture of this region.

First-off, I think it's very important that TEP-bound WA members join the regional government and, specifically, the Magisterium. Local legislators are important for the natural and healthy development of GCR government and community. I'd also like to see a revived interest in the World Assembly; we participate in it, after all. We should observe and debate its processes. We've got entire forums dedicated to this. Plus it makes my job as World Assembly delegate a bit more meaningful, seeing as I cast my vote based on the votes of approximately 200 loyal TEP-bound nations that give me their endorsements and I like to think that I'm representing an informed and deliberate majority.

For those of you who enjoy roleplaying, such as Rightport and The Oan Isles, you will probably be interested primarily in investigating The General Assembly. This body writes and passes legislation which actually affects your nation in-game.

For those who are interested in gameplay and player-to-player interaction (often on an interregional scale), The Security Council will be more interesting to you. It does often address roleplaying, though, so don't tune it out entirely if you're strictly a roleplayer.

It's possible to write too much and I do it sometimes, so I'm going to cut myself short here. I'd like to thank the number of local nations/players that have shown an interest in the regional government lately (and especially those which acted on that interest and which have joined this government), and I'm glad that The East Pacific is experiencing a steady albeit slightly slow revival.

Hail the Sovereign East!

TOPDOP, Delegate of The East Pacific
topdopframed.png

I will be helping represent TEP interests here. :) you guys can mask me as an Ambassador if you would like. tho it seems the other TEP reps have been registered citizens, so i guess i should probably register huh?

Back