Do you smoke? (cigarrettes)

Only when out drinking.

However, the job I am applying ofr has a strict no tobacco on- or off-duty policy so that will end. Along with my occasional cigar . . . :no:

I'm glad to see most of us so far haven't ever smoked.

I've witnessed first hand what smoking can do to someone. It's not very nice, even if you do manage to quit.

Byard, where are you applying? I didn't know companies could really do that....

I smoke sometimes, for the same reason as Byard most of the time, and I am well aware of the consequences, my grandma probably won't last another year, I don't feel bad about it at all, it was her decision (as it is mine) and we have to live with our decisions, or die with them sometimes. It feels great to me, though we're talking maybe once a month, maybe twice, i've been craving one, maybe i'll have a cigar with the new year. Heh, most people make NY's resoultions against smoking, and look at me resolving to smoke.

I only smoke rollies though because I like straight tobacco with no additives. Though there is also no filter. So I dunno about how much healthier that is...

Hers -

Local police department. The opinion is that , since tobacco is dangerous to the individuals and community at large, and since officers are expected to not only uphold the safety of the community, but serve as role models, it isn't appropriate for them to use tobacco at any time. They cover this many times during the half of the selection process I have been through; in fact, there is a checkbox on the application that explains it.

In general, I am against such actions by companies; but, in the case of public safety, I have no problems with it.

I am down with DD here, although the one time I had a hand rolled, it was like being drunk. Except on nicotine.

The fact is, I like the act of smoking. I like the taste of a nice maduro or oscuro. I like the smell of a Cohiba or Macanudo, standing on the back porch, as snow falls. Am I aware of the dangers? I am, and that's why I'm on the back porch when I do so - I am old enough to make that decision, and to know I shouldn't be forcing it on others.

I whack down a few coffin nails every now and then.....I'm well aware of what it's doing to me.....

Each to their own I say.....

Though I may be moving to France in the next few months if they disallow my right to smoke in pubs in england.....having tried pubbing and clubbing without the ole cancer sticks in dublin recently just did my head in too much....

Hehe. I just noticed the 'Colon Cancer' ad that this thread brought up on the page. You'd think that smoking would give you cancer at the other end first. Then again, with what Bill Clinton did with cigars, worse could happen. :lol:

Incidentally, I never pass up a good pre-Castro Monte Cristo. :yes:

Ok, one smoker has to come out of the clost here!

Yes I do smoke, a pack usually lasts me around three days. Frankly it is my choice and my way of dealing with stress. I have other ways as well but they aren't always appropriate at work! My boss would frown on me installing a heavy bag in my office.

Just curious!! Why do the smokers feel the need to defend their choice to smoke when no one has really questioned their right to do so?!

@ Polts: With all the anti-smoking, "quit now", so forth campaigns, I'm really not surprised. Then you've got people like me who immediately start up one of those campaigns when they hear someone mention the topic. :duh:

Sorry, Nem, and the other smokers. I personally will never touch those things, but that doesn't mean you can't if you really want to.

Just curious!! Why do the smokers feel the need to defend their choice to smoke when no one has really questioned their right to do so?!
I guess because it's considered a vice. I smoke about a half pack a day. Aside from NS, it's my only addiction. ;)

Because to a lot of people it is a big deal and they judge people who smoke pretty harshly. Which is why I always attempt to let people know that I am aware of the ramifications of what I do and have made the conscious decision as an adult.

yeah...any veterans or soldier back froma tour who smoke? typically soldiers and sailors smoke more thanaverage pop.

US population is around 25% USDoDefense is a little less than 40%

I smoke about a pack a day. It's a decision I sometimes regret, but I have come to realize over the years that I rather enjoy Cigarettes. They are the perfect partner to a cup of coffee.

I grew up with my mum smoking like 40 a day and i hated the way she would smell when i went to hug her, or of soooo much perfume as she sprayed loads. My step dad was the same, and the way they would cough. It's enough to put anyone off!!

I'd sooner give money away than burn it and potentially kill myself!

Although i hear it is a good appetite suppressor......i don't think risking my health or losing a few lbs is worth it.

Ryan...you open the package and foil, and pull one out and stick it in your mouth. NOt hard to get your hands on it....u mean ure underage? Profile says 1992 so you are almost 15. Cigs have more effect on nicotine receptors for youth. You have a higher chance of getting hooked the younger you are. Honestly, the coolness of smoking mystified me, but its is certainly not a healthy habit. Quit until you are older at least. college smoking is pretty relaxed and not heavy, at least in my experience.

Out of curiosity, when did you start?

That said...
I have a feeling that if we didn't have the age prohibitions, use would go down. Heck, force everyone to smoke a cig in the 8th grade to find out how disgusting it is. I just hope they ignore the nice ciggie high.

Ryan...you open the package and foil, and pull one out and stick it in your mouth. NOt hard to get your hands on it....

You sound almost like a cigarette advertisement. Now all we need is a cartoon animal of some sort with a leather jacket and some aviators and we can really stick it to that youth demographic.

Quit until you are older at least. college smoking is pretty relaxed and not heavy, at least in my experience.

It'll kill you if you try it before college, but once you get to college there are special chemicals secreted from the walls that make it ok. Also cigarettes aren't addicting at all kid, one won't hurt. *flicks a lighter* B)

(And great, in our quest for increasingly stupid smilies we lost the sunglasses one)

I have a feeling that if we didn't have the age prohibitions, use would go down.

Surprisingly that is the truth of the matter. Cigarette companies love commercials telling kids not to smoke, it makes it a convenient point of rebellion for a teen. To do something taboo and against the rules as a teen is again: B)

The last little bit wasn't sarcasm. :)

The whole don't smoke if you're a teen ad campaign was a wet dream for cigarette companies that had to pay settlements to anti-smoking alliances or whatever they're called. They did what the judge told them and got ad campaigns that got a whole slew of teens to try it out to be cool. I read a similar case (marijuana instead of tobacco) in some psychology journal recently, and you can now see this study manifested in anti-drug commercials where instead of saying Don't Do It! they say something far more reasonable, like you'll sit on a couch for hours instead of being outside living life. Kids don't like being told what to do and find some risk/rebellion in doing things people tell them not to.

i remember the couch ad...aimed at teen males. If you sit on the couch "nothing happened" like doing something with a girl. Appeal to base desires. It might work.

I appeal to base desires.

Speaking of commercials, I really like the VW ones with the accidents. It makes me want one.

If I got one, I'd never smoke in it.

i remember the couch ad...aimed at teen males. If you sit on the couch "nothing happened" like doing something with a girl. Appeal to base desires. It might work.
The only thing I didn't like is he said that they stayed on the couch for 8 or 9 hours, something really long. I don't know what kind of weed he was smoking, but damn, 9 hours? A hit of acid doesn't last that long. So I learned in Health Class.

Back